• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Off the top of my head Tropical Freeze feels like a pretty big lapse in content for Donkey Kong, and would have made a killer stage, but I don't think the timing really lined up for it. It came out in 2014, same year as Smash Wii U, and Ultimate didn't really have a lot of space for stages in the first place. I do wish we got a new DKC stage to line up with K. Rool but he isn't even in that game anyway.
It's also worth noting that Donkey Kong Country Returns got its stage in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, so the series did get acknowledgement in that game, leaving Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to continue doing that. But at that point, it was competing with Super Mario Odyssey, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, returning stages, and two new series that were also getting characters.

EDIT: Oh, and on the subject of Proto Man or Bass as Echo Fighters, why not both?

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Kirby and DK might be the most notable cases of Smash's "first level syndrome" where the perceived iconic elements are often chosen over ones that more often than not would often be more interesting. If you'd never played the DK Country titles and experienced Smash you would be forgiven for assuming the former's titles are entirely made of jungle stages with occasional water elements with the way it gets presented in SSB.

Quillion

Smash Hero
If they're going to make Proto Man and/or Bass a clone of Mega Man as he is now... forget it.

At least Fox and Marth are damn good bases to make clones out of to begin with.

Kirby and DK might be the most notable cases of Smash's "first level syndrome" where the perceived iconic elements are often chosen over ones that more often than not would often be more interesting. If you'd never played the DK Country titles and experienced Smash you would be forgiven for assuming the former's titles are entirely made of jungle stages with occasional water elements with the way it gets presented in SSB.
C'mon bruh, this ain't Hyrule Warriors we're talking about.

Smash has to juggle so many different franchises that it's natural that they pick the ones that give the first impression and are therefore the most iconic.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fire Emblem has never gotten two Echoes to a character.

So that doesn't work. Echoes are the exact same number as their original. It's designed to be "one per character only". You can't get more than one because it doesn't work within the naming scheme/designs. That's why we still get regular Clones and Semi-Clones. Because there's a limitation.

Plus, Bass is just plain easier. Proto Man's Shield alone changes things more and more with animations and potential hurtbox stuff that it's far easier to make him a regular clone. Besides that, due to so many differences and unique stuff, Roll(who is kind of awkward bodyshape-wise so doesn't work well as an Echo anyway) is the most prime semi-clone choice. She's even one effectively in Marvel VS Capcom: Clash of the Superheroes. Which is notable since the clones are rarely different at all otherwise. Shadow Lady slightly stands out, but the rest are minor moves and buffs(outside of Roll, who is just a retool of MegaMan while sharing only some moves. Very comparable to how Isabelle is in Smash, or maybe Wolf, who is barely a clone at all).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If they're going to make Proto Man and/or Bass a clone of Mega Man as he is now... forget it.

C'mon bruh, this ain't Hyrule Warriors we're talking about.

Smash has to juggle so many different franchises that it's natural that they pick the ones that give the first impression and are therefore the most iconic.
In my estimation its an attempt at mass appeal that's led to less engaging stages, bu the Smash team's priorities are not mine at the end of the day.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
What new items, assists or pokeballs you'd like to see?

Items:
Double Cherry (Mario)
Sagittae (Fire Emblem)
Lizal Tri-Boomerang (Zelda)
Shocok Bomb (ARMS)
Splash Wall (Splatoon)
Shield (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Chimaera Wing (Dragon Quest)

Quillion

Smash Hero
In my estimation its an attempt at mass appeal that's led to less engaging stages, bu the Smash team's priorities are not mine at the end of the day.
I guess if they need something that's both iconic and engaging, they could go the Bowser's Castle route and mix in a lot of the "first stages" with the "final stages".

Melee already had the FoD and Venom, so at least there's some precedent there.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Items:
Double Cherry (Mario)
Sagittae (Fire Emblem)
Shocok Bomb (ARMS)
Splash Wall (Splatoon)
i think you could have the splatbrella from splatoon function in a pretty similar manner.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Pokémon:
Anything from Gen 8 and 9

Assist Trophy:
  • Asuka (Senran Kagura)
  • An iDOLM@STER idol
  • Urban Champion
  • Creeper (Minecraft)
  • Conker (Conker's Bad Fur Day)
  • Laharl (Disgaea)
  • Lanky Kong (Donkey Kong)
  • Master and Crazy Hand
  • Any Boss and Stage Hazard (Yellow Devil, Metal Face, Birdo, Whispy Woods, Galleom, Dracula)
  • Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptuna)

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Give the Echo/Semi-clone status to Viridi. Let Medusa have her own moveset. One that fits with her outright punching off the head of a god.
I think Viridi has plenty of potential to work with that would justify an original moveset - plant-based attacks, roots, thorns and vines sprouting up from the stage. She leads a legion of enemies that would especially make for a good summoner-oriented kit. Her staff can operate like a blunt tipped axe or club, it’d make for a distinct weapon type in comparison to Palutena’s staff. Lots of ideas here that go under-explored on the roster.

I like Medusa too, but I do think she feels more suited to be a darkness-themed take on Palutena’s basic structure. I don’t think either of them stand much of a chance unless they can be built off someone else, but Viridi is more compelling to me.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Last time we talked about this, I went back and played a few matches with him and...I actually had a ton of fun. I'm not sure if the high skill floor is ultimately a good idea, and there's definitely improvements to be made to the overall package but I now think the idea is solid.

Fire Emblem has never gotten two Echoes to a character.

So that doesn't work. Echoes are the exact same number as their original. It's designed to be "one per character only". You can't get more than one because it doesn't work within the naming scheme/designs. That's why we still get regular Clones and Semi-Clones. Because there's a limitation.
I mean. The UI would have to change slightly for you to collapse two Echo Fighters to one character, but it's otherwise arbitrary (and may not even exist). Regular clones and semi-clones still serve a similar purpose, but the concept is more broad since it allows you to make more changes, and pick characters that would have to be rigged differently.

Plus, Bass is just plain easier. Proto Man's Shield alone changes things more and more with animations and potential hurtbox stuff that it's far easier to make him a regular clone. Besides that, due to so many differences and unique stuff, Roll(who is kind of awkward bodyshape-wise so doesn't work well as an Echo anyway) is the most prime semi-clone choice. She's even one effectively in Marvel VS Capcom: Clash of the Superheroes. Which is notable since the clones are rarely different at all otherwise. Shadow Lady slightly stands out, but the rest are minor moves and buffs(outside of Roll, who is just a retool of MegaMan while sharing only some moves. Very comparable to how Isabelle is in Smash, or maybe Wolf, who is barely a clone at all).
That depends on what you wanna do. If you're using Bass's unnamed buster from his original appearance, then he could be pretty easy. If you're using the Bass Buster, then he's harder because he'd have a normal forward tilt, and his neutral attack and neutral aerial would be 8-way directional projectiles. Regardless, he'd need a new Up Special, as Treble's movement option is free flight rather than a bounce pad. He also can't slide, but Charge Kick exists, so you could just give him that.

Proto Man on the other hand, has a generic Rush Coil variant, and doesn't necessarily have to use his shield (he doesn't in Mega Man: The Power Battle/The Power Fighters). If he does though, I assume it would give him Link's/Hero's shield mechanic while in the air (rather than a reflector), and as a balancing agent, he'd take 1.5x damage, and have a slightly less lenient buster.

Roll's appearance as a playable character within the Mega Man series gives her a melee attack, and she has to put on her buster in Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, implying she doesn't have a variable weapons system. She's probably the hardest out of the three unless you just went "eh, just give her an arm canon and call it good".

I'd say all three are options, but each one has their own problems, which is probably why they didn't do it for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate despite it being a pretty obvious move.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
When it comes to bringing in newer franchises yes. Veteran franchises are rightfully focused on the older, more iconic stuff.
it just so happened that oddyssey and botw got a stage and link got his botw cos eh who knows.

It’s not that they are focused or not. Mario has rosalina and bowser junior, isle Delfino, Mario maker and a bunch of other stages.

zelda has stages galore with a couple characters from across the series (even if they are bad at representing it they still represent that)
Kirby litteraly does not have that. It’s not that it’s focused on the older stuff, the newer stuff does not exist in smash at all.

Make this make sense.

im assuming you mean Kirby is the first person a lot of newcomers come to so just make it all green greens.

the thing is, msot people don’t know Kirby for that, they know Kirby for modern Kirby.

ever since smash 4 it’s been inexcusable, they could have given a robobot stage and an epic yarn stage but instead went with super star and dreamland.

if Mario and Zelda and fire emblem and animal crossing and pikmin and Metroid cut the representation they would be down in roerendtstion

kirby and dk wouldn’t change at all (though dk got heavily expanded by adding in old stuff which is fine, it’s important to look backwards and forwards)

It’s not that it’s focused on the past, it pretends that modern Kirby doesn’t even exist.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The furthest I'm seeing is a couple new third party universes on top of new characters from Sonic, Street Fighter and/or Castlevania.
I think it's worth adding another Mega Man character and Geno to this list. Mega Man seems like one of the easiest, if not the easiest overall, third-party license to manage due to sheer amount of content the Blue Bomber has in Smash and his frequent appearances in CG Trailers and its a series swarming with a ton of potential Smash candidates. Geno mostly just rides off his absurd popularity and actually being something Square Enix might be interested in due to the Super Mario RPG remaster.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think Viridi has plenty of potential to work with that would justify an original moveset - plant-based attacks, roots, thorns and vines sprouting up from the stage. She leads a legion of enemies that would especially make for a good summoner-oriented kit. Her staff can operate like a blunt tipped axe or club, it’d make for a distinct weapon type in comparison to Palutena’s staff. Lots of ideas here that go under-explored on the roster.

I like Medusa too, but I do think she feels more suited to be a darkness-themed take on Palutena’s basic structure. I don’t think either of them stand much of a chance unless they can be built off someone else, but Viridi is more compelling to me.
Hey, I want both to be original, but if I had to choose one, Viridi can be the semi-clone while Medusa gets the original. You cannot convince me a darkness-based Palutena will do Medusa justice, especially after this scene in KI:U.
And people tell me that it is Black Shadow who should take Ganondorf's moveset.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Not that I think more Mega Man is necessarily guaranteed but the major benefit having so many sub-franchises is the plethora of options for things like fighters. Sheer volume might lend itself to having that ideal character mix of popularity, moveset potential, and ease at dancing in Sakurai's head as an overall concept.

Not that this is likely to happen (as it's hard to imagine Nintendo going that deep on one third party franchise) but a pseudo repeat of Simon and Richter (except with actual different fighters) with Zero for Western audiences and .EXE for Japan would be a remarkable event.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Not that I think more Mega Man is necessarily guaranteed but the major benefit having so many sub-franchises is the plethora of options for things like fighters. Sheer volume might lend itself to having that ideal character mix of popularity, moveset potential, and ease at dancing in Sakurai's head as an overall concept.

Not that this is likely to happen (as it's hard to imagine Nintendo going that deep on one third party franchise) but a pseudo repeat of Simon and Richter (except with actual different fighters) with Zero for Western audiences and .EXE for Japan would be a remarkable event.
alucard and raiden would be neat gains from konami if they get bomberman as a fighters as well.

chinkuru

Smash Cadet

Items:
Double Cherry (Mario)
Sagittae (Fire Emblem)
Shocok Bomb (ARMS)
Splash Wall (Splatoon)
-Items:
Ultrahand
Ultramachine
NES Zapper
Power Glove
Animal crate (DK)
Double Cherry (Mario)
Blopper (Mario)
Teddy bear (Earthbound)
Bag of dragonite (Earthbound)
Pie (Smash)

-Assist trophy:
Eggplant Wizard (Kid Ikarus)
Medusa (Kid Ikarus)
Cranky Kong (Dk)
King Hippo (Punch out)
BallonFighter
Urban Fighter
Muddy Mole
Psycho Mantis (Metal Gear)
POW (Metal Slug)
Munbo Jumbo (Banjo Kazoie)
Tetris
Space Fever
Alleyway
Color TV game racing

-Pokeballs:
Missingno

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Last time we talked about this, I went back and played a few matches with him and...I actually had a ton of fun. I'm not sure if the high skill floor is ultimately a good idea, and there's definitely improvements to be made to the overall package but I now think the idea is solid.

I mean. The UI would have to change slightly for you to collapse two Echo Fighters to one character, but it's otherwise arbitrary (and may not even exist). Regular clones and semi-clones still serve a similar purpose, but the concept is more broad since it allows you to make more changes, and pick characters that would have to be rigged differently.

That depends on what you wanna do. If you're using Bass's unnamed buster from his original appearance, then he could be pretty easy. If you're using the Bass Buster, then he's harder because he'd have a normal forward tilt, and his neutral attack and neutral aerial would be 8-way directional projectiles. Regardless, he'd need a new Up Special, as Treble's movement option is free flight rather than a bounce pad. He also can't slide, but Charge Kick exists, so you could just give him that.

Proto Man on the other hand, has a generic Rush Coil variant, and doesn't necessarily have to use his shield (he doesn't in Mega Man: The Power Battle/The Power Fighters). If he does though, I assume it would give him Link's/Hero's shield mechanic while in the air (rather than a reflector), and as a balancing agent, he'd take 1.5x damage, and have a slightly less lenient buster.

Roll's appearance as a playable character within the Mega Man series gives her a melee attack, and she has to put on her buster in Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, implying she doesn't have a variable weapons system. She's probably the hardest out of the three unless you just went "eh, just give her an arm canon and call it good".

I'd say all three are options, but each one has their own problems, which is probably why they didn't do it for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate despite it being a pretty obvious move.
Roll actually isn't the same bodyshape as the others. She cannot be an echo. It's clone or higher within this factor.

Uh, no. It's not simply the UI. It literally is saying "they share the same number", period. They have to entirely change the Echo system to make that work. And it's already confusing enough to begin with with two characters having the same number. The E in the numbering scheme isn't something like Alpha or Beta as a letter(something easily done to help differentiate unique costumes, etc. While it is the Epsilon letter as well in one language, it's basically an apostrophe-like letter in Japan). It's actually an outright single letter that stands for Echo. You can't have two Echoes here. In addition, even the website designates it in all languages as NumberE for the page number. They keep a particular consistency in that regard. Besides that, no other clone type has ever been given a designation besides "yes, this is how we developed them" and is more of a fan thing. The closest is when they put the clone next to the fighter, but Brawl started to tune that out and it's hard saved for Echoes only now.

They clearly designed it for one Echo per fighter, and it makes sense. It's also a good system that keeps it simple. Which is the point. Dash Fighter(the JP name) and Echo(the English name) work wonderfully. It's a deliberate choice regardless. Like, the Fire Emblem joke is fun and all, but if it's making people entirely misunderstand how the system works, it is doing something completely wrong. But as I said, Proto Man having what is clearly some more unique properties would just throw him into a regular clone status anyway if they want Bass too. Both can work(Bass moreso), though Roll is not possible due to what I said above. Ironically the Legends version is far more similar to its own MegaMan, but they're really damn different in Classic(Proto Man is potentially different enough, and Bass is just MegaMan with a new headpiece). Do remember that the core is how much their bodyshape is the same and if any unique properties are given and to what degree when it determines how much an Echo Fighter can be. We do know if attributes change too much, that alone can remove the status. It may not be entirely why Dr. Mario is a regular clone, but it's also worth noting that his attributes make his tier placement significantly further from Mario than any other Echo Fighter too, showing that he's quite blatantly more different than Ken in full practice.

Fair on Proto Man, but it's not just using the Shield alone. It's how it's defined. Also, if he's constantly able to have special shield properties, he'd be unlikely to get an Echo status at that point. That's some massive gameplay differences in practice. That said, looking at Smash Wiki, it's... not very good at some definitions. It doesn't even define Echo that well based upon information we have. Especially being it's a completely different system from the others. Or that it tries to treat someone like Young Link as less than a semi-clone despite blatantly being one in practice(Melee kind of makes sense, but Ultimate he and Link play way too differently from each other. And it's still questionable in Melee to be called a "full clone". The others are close enough to a degree, though maybe not Ganondorf, that it makes some sense). But that's a problem with a fan wiki as well. And moreso defining it by fan stuff and less by more proper terminology, heh. Echo Fighter doesn't even have its own true page, for some silly reason. Though to be a little fair, most of it is based upon exact data on how their definitions are(which is still arbitrary, but it's not some random oddity. To lightly clarify, Young Link only really holds a true clone status due to sharing enough animations with Link to be over their defined percentage of what counts. Again, it's absolutely arbitrary).

But anyway, it's an awkward thing otherwise, but it's pretty much clear it's currently designed to have one Echo per Character max. It's absolutely changeable, of course, but at least it wouldn't work right in the current setup.

Also, yes, it's possible for Proto Man to be an Echo. Obviously he can perform the same moves. It's just that it's quite clear we get one Echo per fighter. Since one has a unique Shield, it's pretty obvious Proto Man if Bass was also there, would be the deliberate clone choice since it's easier to work that way. That said, if Bass was given more unique properties while Proto Man barely used his Shield, they can pull the opposite too. It's really only Roll who cannot hold an Echo status at best.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

Items:
Double Cherry (Mario)
Sagittae (Fire Emblem)
Shocok Bomb (ARMS)
Splash Wall (Splatoon)
This would be a sick item. For Items at least, I'd like more power up based items, so that's a start. Maybe the elephant fruit would be cool if everyone got an Elephant form. I'd also want the effects to last longer because it seems like the decrease the time power ups last in Ultimate I want them to bring back the Cracker Barrel, and For Pokeballs, Bring Back Manaphy because I think swapping characters is cool and I only got it once ingame, and then whatever Gen 8, 9, and 10 Pokemon don't become playable

I think I'll make a later post on Assist Trophies and such

I think it's worth adding another Mega Man character and Geno to this list. Mega Man seems like one of the easiest, if not the easiest overall, third-party license to manage due to sheer amount of content the Blue Bomber has in Smash and his frequent appearances in CG Trailers and its a series swarming with a ton of potential Smash candidates. Geno mostly just rides off his absurd popularity and actually being something Square Enix might be interested in due to the Super Mario RPG remaster.
Geno is for sure 100% getting in, for real this time. I think he's one of the characters I'd be shocked if he didn't get in now

For Mega Man, looking it up, I guess I understand why .EXE got the mii costume because it does seem like EXE is the most popular Mega man in Japan period. I Still think Zero would be the option for next Mega Man character, but maybe if they bring Custom Moves and alternate ways to pay characters, they could incorporate the other versions of Mega Man into playable

Laniv

Smash Champion
Hypothetically, if they de-echoed Chrom and Lucina for the next game, but they still really wanted Marth and Roy to have echoes for some reason, who would you pick for the honor?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hypothetically, if they de-echoed Chrom and Lucina for the next game, but they still really wanted Marth and Roy to have echoes for some reason, who would you pick for the honor?
For Marth at the very least, I’d pick Celica as an Echo with variations of Marth’s normals, Roy’s up special and Robin’s neutral, side and down specials. For Roy, I’d pick Leif.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Roll actually isn't the same bodyshape as the others...

...But as I said, Proto Man having what is clearly some more unique properties would just throw him into a regular clone status anyway if they want Bass too. Both can work(Bass moreso), though Roll is not possible due to what I said above. Ironically the Legends version is far more similar to the current MegaMan, but they're really damn different in Classic(Proto Man is potentially different enough, and Bass is just MegaMan with a new headpiece). Do remember that the core is how much their bodyshape is the same and if any unique properties are given and to what degree when it determines how much an Echo Fighter can be. We do know if attributes change too much, that alone can remove the status. It may not be entirely why Dr. Mario is a regular clone, but it's also worth noting that his attributes make his tier placement significantly further from Mario than any other Echo Fighter too, showing that he's quite blatantly more different than Ken in full practice.
Is she not? I always thought she was built the same as Mega Man.

On the subject, Bass is consistently taller than Mega Man, and they shrink him in his playable appearances. It's why he looks kinda wonky in Mega Man 10.

Ironically, Proto Man also has different proportions in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate because he uses his current proportions while Mega Man does not. This isn't really a problem though since his NES sprites do have the same proportions, albeit with a wider stance.
EDIT: And if they changed Mega Man's proportions to his current ones it would still work since Mega Man and Proto Man consistantly have the same proportions.

They clearly designed it for one Echo per fighter, and it makes sense. It's also a good system that keeps it simple. Which is the point. Dash Fighter(the JP name) and Echo(the English name) work wonderfully. It's a deliberate choice regardless. Like, the Fire Emblem joke is fun and all, but if it's making people entirely misunderstand how the system works, it is doing something completely wrong.
I mean it would work the same with multiple to one:
  • #46 Mega Man
  • #46ε Proto Man
  • #46ε Bass
It still denotes the two as Echo Fighters of Mega Man.

Even so, I doubt the number system will even return since "Everyone Is Here" was the entire point of it, and it would be kinda confusing without it. They could instead just say "Proto Man and Bass both join the battle as Echo Fighters of Mega Man." To be quite honest, I could even see them dropping the term entirely and making future echo reveals like the ones did for Dark Pit and Lucina in the previous game.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I actually kind of miss Rumble Falls since it was at least more creative and unique compared to the other DK series stages.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Is she not? I always thought she was built the same as Mega Man.

On the subject, Bass is consistently taller than Mega Man, and they shrink him in his playable appearances. It's why he looks kinda wonky in Mega Man 10.

Ironically, Proto Man also has different proportions in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate because he uses his current proportions while Mega Man does not. This isn't really a problem though since his NES sprites do have the same proportions, albeit with a wider stance.
EDIT: And if they changed Mega Man's proportions to his current ones it would still work since Mega Man and Proto Man consistantly have the same proportions.
She doesn't. She's a similar character, but was always a bit different. Basically, she can use the same bodyframe, but her differences are far more than minor heights. Also, as you noted, Bass is a bit awkward too. So he might not be possible actually. Proto Man definitely is.

I mean it would work the same with multiple to one:
  • #46 Mega Man
  • #46ε Proto Man
  • #46ε Bass
It still denotes the two as Echo Fighters of Mega Man.
You are aware even the website directly has NumberE to designate it, right? It doesn't work. And no, Echoes have to require numbers to work. Or if they don't even use numbers, it'll just be the Epsilon symbol and that's it. It's actually way more confusing than you think. Heck, it's noticeable that every Echo Fighter, unlike Clones, hail strictly from the same Universe to avoid really dumb weirdness in having two characters from a different franchise in the same slot. So even that's taken into account.

Even so, I doubt the number system will even return since "Everyone Is Here" was the entire point of it, and it would be kinda confusing without it. They could instead just say "Proto Man and Bass both join the battle as Echo Fighters of Mega Man." To be quite honest, I could even see them dropping the term entirely and making future echo reveals like the ones did for Dark Pit and Lucina in the previous game.
Honestly? I don't see it leaving. It's no longer plausible to kill. The entire Echo System is tied to it. Echoes aren't dropping either. They're actually different from a Model Swap Fighter entirely. A.K.A. Every other kind of clone or someone who uses a previous model to help create(this even includes freaking Ness, who is a Model Swap of Mario). It seems to not apply to those 100% unique otherwise, like Cloud, though? I think Wolf was the last one to be treated as that, so it even has limits in that regard.

Even if it did, it won't change that Echoes are hard tied to only make sense as one at a time. It's a deliberate design, and it would look really awkward to randomly have that, but not the number at all. Everyone Is Here isn't entirely the point of it either. That's misleading. The point behind it was to prevent confusion and use a very special reveal order as a consistent CSS design while also making it far easier to help understand why Echo Fighters are absolutely not a regular Model Swap Fighter.

It's really trying to entirely redefine how the system works to justify a pointless double Echo. Just don't bother with it. It's not actually worth it to mess with a good system. Proto Man, with what you said, is the only one that might even work as one without awkward animations, as Bass probably isn't even eligible anyway. And Proto Man is still slightly iffy since the Shield isn't just a prop(and it's also not different from "adding more armor" like with Black Knight being suggested as an Ike Echo, which clearly isn't a good way to make an Echo). The Shield might not seem like much in itself, but it is a difference in the modal's overall bodyshape. Overall? MegaMan might not even be able to get an Echo anyway due to how it overall works. Him getting derivatives is perfectly plausible, but more than 2 is also highly unlikely. It's a 3rd party franchise after all. There's a lot of other Franchises to keep in mind. These are good ideas, but doing it all in one game when licensing is involved? Ehhhh, that's really hoping for way too much.

Also, if all of that stuff requires a lot of work just to make two Echoes? It ain't happening. Echoes need to be legitimately easy. Even, in cases like Ken, his differences are way overstated, as he's still very similar to Ryu and at most is the special epitome of being borderline as an Echo. Every one one is notable hyper similar in comparison. Bass already has awkward animations(not unlike Isabelle did to Villager, which is why she couldn't be one), and Proto Man has a completely unique skill that affects how he fights overall but also changes how his model inherently works. I know I'm repeating that a bit, but the fact of the matter is? These do not sound "notoriously easy" either. Thus? Yeah, MegaMan probably won't get an Echo anyway. Most likely just a clone type or a semi-clone, or even a unique character in Zero at best.

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
Alear as a marth echo makes too much sense. Alm or Leif would probably work well as a Roy clone. Alm's demeanor and attitude matches Roy in smash better than Roy does.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I actually kind of miss Rumble Falls since it was at least more creative and unique compared to the other DK series stages.
Really I don't mind the central gimmicks of most the DK stages, Rumble Falls included. I just wish the aesthetics stood out a bit more. A series that included Fear Factory, Bramble Scramble, Ghostly Grove, Grassland Groove, Fruity Factory just has so much to offer beyond jungles. Even if they needed a waterfall setting, something like the type seen in DKC3 would have been a bit more distinct at least:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet
I think Proto Man could work well as an echo fighter, Proto Man is playable in 9 and 10 and so has access to the weaponry from those games, a few of which could be subbed in for aesthetic differences like Jewel Satellite replacing the Leaf Shield. He shouldn't be able to use most of Mega Man's arsenal, but it's hardly the biggest concession in comparison to what other current echoes do. I'd prefer if Bass was like a semi-clone and used stuff from Challenger from the Future/MM&B/MM10, because I think his dash and 8-way shooting is important, but he's definitely only ever get in as an echo, and I wouldn't mind it.

Before either were to happen though, I think Mega Man needs to be overhauled a bit. His current moveset is sort of odd because by being so faithful on paper to how classic Mega Man plays like I feel like it doesn't really capture the essence of Mega Man in a smash environment, and his moveset is definitely I feel a bit unintuitive for a lot of people. I don't think his moveset is as much the issue though, cause one way or another he was probably always gonna end up playing in a similarish way to that, my bigger problem is just how he's designed and animated. I feel like his design is really too robotic and doesn't carry a lot of his charm even in the classic Inafune artwork. Mega Man has always been a very animated character in everything outside of the actual sprites, and I think his Smash appearance goes a bit too far in replicating his in-game appearance with the lack of emotion and stubby limbs with no neck. I'd like him to get redesigned to his Mega Man 11 appearance and proportions and to be a lot more emotive, I think you can definitely strike a nice middle ground there between faithfulness to the classic games and his modern appearance. His current Smash design wouldn't really lend itself well to a Proto Man echo, and especially not a Bass one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let's save time since people misunderstand why Echo Fighters are not something easy to slap a character into;

Their bodyshape must be the same with barely a millimeter of difference once chosen. You cannot just simply "reproportion them". Lucina only worked because she was already reproportioned and wasn't so off on her own that she couldn't work as a Costume, and therefore, an Echo.

Any unique stuff on them aren't necessarily aesthetic. If it can easily confuse someone? It's pretty unlikely to be an option. Proto Man shares his bodyshape outside of the Shield. This is fine, but if the Shield gets any real attention, this becomes a problem with both requiring different animations, very confusing hurtboxes and hitboxes, and sometimes too many different moves. Proto Man can perform any of MegaMan's moves by design. This is not an issue whatsoever. Within the franchise, they have the same "can copy a move system" without a problem. So does Bass. However, if the bodyshapes can't work? It doesn't matter if they can theoretically play the same. They can't be the same because the animations won't allow for it.

Remember, Ken is a hard outlier, not a good example of changes. He also has many awkward bits because some of his stuff functions like Ryu's even when it shouldn't(like a kick being treated as a punch). This shows even within that context, him being an Echo is still a bit awkward, but not enough to remove the label. This doesn't mean Proto Man can't be one, it's just a matter of how they utilize the Shield. However, Bass can't be eligible since his bodyshape is actually made clear to be too different, and Roll is just as bad.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

1713913053416.png

The Smash team unironically needs to just do better when it comes to selecting stages. I don't know how you look at the vast portfolio of unique/iconic locations you have at your disposal and go, "know what DK could use? Another jungle level".

This goes for other series as well, like Mario, Kirby, and Metroid. They play their picks way too safe for the variety that could come from series with such storied legacies.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet

View attachment 388409

The Smash team unironically needs to just do better when it comes to selecting stages. I don't know how you look at the vast portfolio of unique/iconic locations you have at your disposal and go, "know what DK could use? Another jungle level".

This goes for other series as well, like Mario, Kirby, and Metroid. They play their picks way too safe for the variety that could come from series with such storied legacies.
Forever a tragedy that if Ult had one more stage in the base game there's a good chance it would have been Gangplank Galleon.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I still feel like since we never got an official explanation for the "Rules" of what counts as an echo, the small sample size of what we do have, and outliers like Ken and Dr. Mario. It feels pointless to try and gatekeep what should and shouldn't count as an echo.

Like obviously, there are some pretty blatant things that would make something not count as an echo.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Not keen on how the existence of echo fighters seemingly makes so many people try to shove movesets of characters that flat out don't fit onto potential newcomers that could be their own things (Palutena's kit over Viridi? Seriously?). It's not a problem exclusive to this thread, its something I see whenever echoes are talked about in lots of other places.

I want to celebrate the uniqueness of the characters I want, not lump them with existing fighters. If a fighter is included as an echo, they might as well not include them at all at that point (to me at least. also I'm talking about the echoes that don't change anything or change very little)

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else have ideas for stages for Astral Chain and Ring Fit? I haven't played those games, so i'm curious.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
For Alm, I think he might fit better as a Link Echo based primarily on Smash 4 Link, with some other moves changed for good measure.
Does anyone else have ideas for stages for Astral Chain and Ring Fit? I haven't played those games, so i'm curious.
I know I’ve played Ring Fit Adventure, and the Transient Temple would make a pretty good stage.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
It shouldn't matter whether it's a first level/world stage or not if it's the most fitting to represent that game/franchise. I do think it matters to have enough stages that are very easy to associate to their respective games/franchises, and that lots of players are familiar with; naturally this favors early-game areas to some degree, but not entirely and not to the point that I think it should prevent a diverse stage lineup.
Even with the above line of thinking, there's still room for a lot of amazing later-game locales. We have some shining examples already in the game, and I can think of plenty of others I'd like to see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom