• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Alright how about a game?

Let's say there is a third fighters pass just for the sake of filling up the spaces so you only get three fighters and 1 individual fighter who doesn't have the other stuff like a stage, music or spirit board.

Which characters would you pick? What stage would they come with? What music tracks would they come with? To make it simple, just pick your top 5 favourite music tracks for each pass. If it's too hard for you to think of characters because there are still 3 more slots left in the Fighters Pass 2, then just imagine Rayman, Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Guy taking those slots.

Fighter Pass 12:
Fighter #82: Crash Bandicoot​
Stage: N. Sanity Beach​
Music:​
1. Crash Bandicoot intro medley​
2. Boulders​
3. Turtle Woods​
4. The Eel Deal​
5. Toad Village​

Fighter Pass 13:
Fighter #83: Axel Stone​
Stage: Streets Stage​
1. Go Straight​
2. Dreamer​
3. Under Logic​
4, Slow Moon​
5, Never Return Alive​

Fighter Pass 14:
Fighter #84: Sgt. Cortez​
Stage: Space Station​
1. TimeSplitters 2 Main Theme​
2. Space Station​
3. Ice Station​
4. Scrapyard​
5. Nightclub​

Individual character: Geno

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Just dropping in real quick to:

ngl the two characters that imo are very likely to get into smash as DLCs are eggman and phoenix wright.
eggman because sonic's 30th anniversary is pretty close, and phoenix wright because thanks to the capcom gigaleak, we now know that ace attorney 7 is in development, and scheduled to release in 2021 alongside a localization of the great ace attorney,
Anniversary.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...That face where I'm a Fulgore fan and can't remember a single song name. Mortal Kombat is not much better. Funny that.

That said, if we're talking packs, I can't full play the game, but I do have some ideas;

Challenger Pack 9:
  • Character: Brian
  • Stage: Isle of Skye(the one I made a long time back, which has a lot of stuff to it, including a good set of hazards that show off all 4 elements)
  • Music:
    • Battle Theme
    • Boss Battle Theme
    • Cull Hazard
    • Blue Cave
    • Mammon's Theme
Challenger Pack 10:
  • Character: Agumon
  • Stage: I can't think of a good one due to barely playing the games. Spiral Mountain, the home of the Dark Masters, wasn't even in the normal games either, just the anime-based ones.
  • Music:
    • Digimon Digital Monsters
    • Braveheart
    • Card Slash!!
    • Digiimon Data Squad Full Instrumental (Name not known. Likely called "Prepare to Digivolve")
    • Change Into Power
Challenger Pack 11:
  • Character: Shadow the Hedgehog
  • Stage: Torn between Crisis City or Westopolis. Both are pretty good.
  • Music:
    • All Hail Shadow
    • All Hail Shadow(Remix)
    • I Am(All of Me)
    • Blue Falcon/Heavy Dog Medley
    • E.G.G.M.A.N.
Standalone: Geno

As noted, Fulgore and Scorpion were on my mind, but I can't imagine them without a stage or music. Otherwise, the list works. At least I was able to get the game right, heh.

Just dropping in real quick to:

View attachment 296175
You are aware Little Mac was revealed on an anniversary, right? Reveals do count, but not who to choose. Spirit events are generally also based upon things like game releases and such. The reality is, Sakurai does actually take these into account. He just doesn't put a massive amount of thought into it, since it's not that important as people make it. It shouldn't be dismissed, but putting a lot of stock into it is not worth it either.

Besides, Sakurai isn't choosing the characters, Nintendo is. I wouldn't apply how Sakurai does things as the definer of these situations. I don't entirely disagree with you, but you're going off of a faulty premise for the argument.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So far, every DLC Legend Spirit has been a Support Spirit with a brand new effect.
What do you think Sephiroth's Legend Spirit Effect will be?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just Little Mac?

I mean, outside of veterans, it has mainly just been him no?
Yep. Just him to my knowledge.

However, Steve's release was also set to be shown close to Minecon. it's unclear if it was just a case of "he was nearly done, but let's wait a bit to tie it in" or "we actually have to wait". He could go either direction.

It's rare, but special events revolving around a game is not unfounded. It's just, again, quite rare.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Yep. Just him to my knowledge.

However, Steve's release was also set to be shown close to Minecon. it's unclear if it was just a case of "he was nearly done, but let's wait a bit to tie it in" or "we actually have to wait". He could go either direction.

It's rare, but special events revolving around a game is not unfounded. It's just, again, quite rare.
Sephiroth's presentation was on the Japanese anniversary for the Final Fantasy series as a whole.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
The only thing I'm sort of anticipating is a very recent first-party character who was added for the sole purpose of promoting a game that came out close or during the DLC development.

Seems like that would be something both Nintendo and Sakurai would want, even if it might be for different reasons.
Otherwise known as the inevitability lol.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sephiroth's presentation was on the Japanese anniversary for the Final Fantasy series as a whole.
Yep. Rare, but not implausible. It seems more the case for reveals, but actually choosing characters due to anniversaries(even ignoring that Nintendo is doing the choices for the pass) doesn't really seem plausible. Sakurai might legitimately do it at some point, but a character would stand out on their own anyway. Which is why it's not that important to look at anniversaries. It makes sense to do reveals around events/etc. since it can get extra hype/attention. Business sense and all~

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
This doesn't really help for our future speculations but people dug up this old post so I might just share it.
Post on 5chan, 19th of December 2018, several days after the release of Ultimate and the reveal of Joker.
http://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1545137368/28

I actually talked about this post before which was coincidentally lining up with other old days rumor about SMRPG.

There was a random post on 5chan basically saying that Square Enix is fully aware of the demands for Geno from core smash fans but he won't be in because SE is concerned people to recognize him as "smash" character.
In the same post this guy was also mentioning that there are hardly no demands for Genos' come back other than from smash fanbase.
Plus, there was also a rumor back years ago said that SE suggested Nintendo to buy the rights for some SMRPG contents but Nintendo refused.
And Japan seems to think these two are lining up.
There was a random post on 5chan basically saying that Square Enix is fully aware of the demands for Geno from core smash fans but he won't be in because SE is concerned people to recognize him as "smash" character.
In the same post this guy was also mentioning that there are hardly no demands for Genos' come back other than from smash fanbase.
Plus, there was also a rumor back years ago said that SE suggested Nintendo to buy the rights for some SMRPG contents but Nintendo refused.
And Japan seems to think these two are lining up.
Yes, this one.
The orginal post is more like gaming industry inside talks than a smash leak to me.

I can't find the source for SE selling SMRPG rumor. I think it was from 3 or 4 years ago.
I remember it was saying SE tried to sell "some SMRPG contents" not the game itself since it contains FF elements.

The post was translated by some anon on 4chan back in the day, and someone gave me a link to it but it's dead now so I translated.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/443463387/#q443463387

28 名無しさん必死だな 2018/12/19(水) 12:40:55.60 ID:MeJl2hmi0

Pretty sure it was Erdrick that got the SE slot.
I heard that they were going to announce Castlevania as a third party retro for overseas and Dragon Quest as also a third party retro for Japan, so I was quite surprised when the DQ rep disappeared completely from the actual game we got.

From what I've heard, it's supposed to have been developed from the beginning, so I don't know if it's part of the DLC pack or not.
I don't know if they couldn't get it done in time, so they sent it to the later updates, but when it was released, there were a few other third parties missing, so maybe they all got put on hold or cancelled, including Erdrick.
I'm pretty sure they were developing Erdrick, and the default guy(?) from Minecraft was there too, with his actual working model, as one of the thrid party reps. But he's gone too idk.
I don't know, Chun-Li was there, but somehow replaced with Ken. Bamco had both Symphonia and Vesperia protagonists in the planning stages, but they're not here as well.

So I don't know if Erdrick will be a paid DLC or a free bonus update, but it's true that it was being developed.
It seems that Enix was really shocked when Cloud made himself in Smash, so they became very cooperative and tried their best to promote their stuff.
They had already decided to release DQ11S at that time, so I guess they were hoping that Smash to bring them some newcomers of overseas into the DQ franchise.

Sora was also a candidate, but it was rejected because they felt that not having any Disney characters wouldn't be right as the KH representative.
There was also Sephiroth and the Mii character from Super Mario RPG, but Sephiroth ended up conceding the spot to DQ, and the Mii one was in a very sensitive position, so it was dropped.
I've heard that there are a lot of requests from his fans, but all they say is to put him into Smash, and only few requests for a new game or a remake of his game. So what they told me is that developers are confusing about this whole Smash fever situation.
Especially from the third party side, they don't want their characters to be established as "Smash" characters, and the occasional requests for a new game are always associated with Smash representation. This kind of attitude from fans are making the devs unsure of their real intentions, that's what I've heard.
They also said that, probably it's only the loudest and most dedicated Smash fans being so on the internet, so it's hard to tell if thier real demographic really want to revive the series or not. They just couldn't take a chance on developing a whole new game by having Smash come in first.
I've been hearing this kind of talk from here and there recently, so I'm wondering just how big of an influence Smash has become.

スクエニ枠はたしかにロトだったぞ
海外向けサードレトロで悪魔城、日本向けサードレトロでドラクエっていう発表の方向で進んでるって聞いてたから、ドラクエいつのまにかいなくなってて草生えたの覚えてるわ

俺が聞いた話だと最初から開発されたはずだから、DLCパックってのに含まれてるかどうかはしらん
間に合わなくてアプデに回されたのかしらんが、発売したときには他にも何体かサード抜けてたし、もしかしたらロトも含めて全員お蔵入りになったのかもな
でもたしかにロトは作られてたし、他にも他社はなんかマイクラのデフォルトのやつ?もちゃんと動いてたはずだけどいないな
そういえばチュンリーもいつのまにかケンになってるし、バンナムも企画段階でシンフォニアとヴェスペリアのやつ両方捻じ込んでたのにいないし、ようわからんわ

だからまあロトが有料DLCか無料アプデかでくるかどうかはしらんが、開発されてたってのは本当だぞ
なんかエニックス側がクラウドに先越されたのがけっこう衝撃だったみたいで、めちゃくちゃ協力的になってアピール必死だったみたいよ
DQ11Sを出すことも決まってたし、海外で人気のスマブラから流れてくれればってのもあったんだろうけどな

ソラも候補だったけど、やっぱディズニーキャラ出さないのはKH的にどうなのってことになってボツになった
あとはセフィロスとスーパーマリオRPGのMiiになってたやつがいたけど、セフィロスはまあ結局ドラクエ枠に譲る感じになって、Miiの方はなんかすげー微妙な立ち位置だったから見送りになった
なんかファンからの要望がそれなりにあるらしいんだけど、スマブラに出せってのばっかで、新作作れとかリメイクしろとかの要望がほとんど聞こえてこないから、開発元が困惑してるってパターン多いって聞いた
特にサード的にはスマブラのキャラってことで定着されるのが困るってことらしくて、たまにある新作欲しいとかもスマブラと関連付けられてて、スマブラありきの要望が増えてるから真意が分からなくなってるっぽい
声のでかい熱心なスマブラ厨がネットで言ってるだけって状況らしいから、本当にシリーズの復活が望まれてるのか微妙すぎて、先にスマブラ参戦させて合わせて新作なんて博打は打てないって話を聞いた
そういう感じの話をいろんなところから聞くようになったから、どんだけスマブラの影響大きくなってんだよって思うわ

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the source for the SMRPG rumor. but I think that was around the time frame of Smash Ballot days. I'm not sure it was before or after Sakurai's Famitsu column that mentioned Geno. If that was from Futaba, which I think probably was, I really don't know how to find it anymore. So basically, treat this also as the same as other 4chan/5chan text leaks. ;)

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
So far, every DLC Legend Spirit has been a Support Spirit with a brand new effect.
Sothis and Ender Dragon have buffed up abilities instead of brand new ones. I wonder if we will get one of these, like Triple Jump for exemple.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
This doesn't really help for our future speculations but people dug up this old post so I might just share it.
Post on 5chan, 19th of December 2018, several days after the release of Ultimate and the reveal of Joker.

I actually talked about this post before which was coincidentally lining up with other old days rumor about SMRPG.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the source for the SMRPG rumor. but I think that was around the time frame of Smash Ballot days. I'm not sure it was before or after Sakurai's Famitsu column that mentioned Geno. If that was from Futaba, which I think probably was, I really don't know how to find it anymore. So basically, treat this also as the same as other 4chan/5chan text leaks. ;)
It's interesting, at least. They talk about Hero, Steve and Sephiroth, all of which ended up coming afterwards - and who we have a pretty good idea were held back for various reasons.

What's worthy of note is that they also mention Tales - specifically Symphonia and Vesperia. Could be indication that the Lloyd Mii is coming back and Yuri will be playable. Or the opposite. Or maybe they'll both be Miis, I dunno.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
For the record, and this is not necessarily at anyone in particular...I think it should be noted that Crash and Dante aren’t actually “big” picks.

Devil May Cry isn’t even close to their [Capcom] biggest series at this point. If they went for their “big” pick, then that would be Monster Hunter or Resident Evil.

Crash Bandicoot, coming from Activision Blizzard...I don’t know about that one. Blizzard has Overwatch and World of Warcraft (among others), while Activision is also known for Call of Duty games.

Calling them “big” picks and attempting to “disqualify” based on “we aren’t going to get all big picks” seems like it’s an incorrect evaluation of what they are, objectively. Are they big in 3rd party popularity right now? I’d say so. Are they these massive series like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or Minecraft? Absolutely not, and it’s not close, lol.

They’re just popular characters. One thing I will note, is that while I’m not gonna try starting anything, when I see people get mad about Crash or Dante discussion because they’re “popular”, it strikes me as though the response would be totally different if the characters in question were “my most wanted”.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord

The post was translated by some anon on 4chan back in the day, and someone gave me a link to it but it's dead now so I translated.

I heard that they were going to announce Castlevania as a third party retro for overseas and Dragon Quest as also a third party retro for Japan, so I was quite surprised when the DQ rep disappeared completely from the actual game we got.

From what I've heard, it's supposed to have been developed from the beginning, so I don't know if it's part of the DLC pack or not.
I don't know if they couldn't get it done in time, so they sent it to the later updates, but when it was released, there were a few other third parties missing, so maybe they all got put on hold or cancelled, including Erdrick.
I'm pretty sure they were developing Erdrick, and the default guy(?) from Minecraft was there too, with his actual working model, as one of the thrid party reps. But he's gone too idk.
I don't know, Chun-Li was there, but somehow replaced with Ken. Bamco had both Symphonia and Vesperia protagonists in the planning stages, but they're not here as well.

So I don't know if Erdrick will be a paid DLC or a free bonus update, but it's true that it was being developed.
It seems that Enix was really shocked when Cloud made himself in Smash, so they became very cooperative and tried their best to promote their stuff.
They had already decided to release DQ11S at that time, so I guess they were hoping that Smash to bring them some newcomers of overseas into the DQ franchise.

Sora was also a candidate, but it was rejected because they felt that not having any Disney characters wouldn't be right as the KH representative.
There was also Sephiroth and the Mii character from Super Mario RPG, but Sephiroth ended up conceding the spot to DQ, and the Mii one was in a very sensitive position, so it was dropped.
I've heard that there are a lot of requests from his fans, but all they say is to put him into Smash, and only few requests for a new game or a remake of his game. So what they told me is that developers are confusing about this whole Smash fever situation.
Especially from the third party side, they don't want their characters to be established as "Smash" characters, and the occasional requests for a new game are always associated with Smash representation. This kind of attitude from fans are making the devs unsure of their real intentions, that's what I've heard.
They also said that, probably it's only the loudest and most dedicated Smash fans being so on the internet, so it's hard to tell if thier real demographic really want to revive the series or not. They just couldn't take a chance on developing a whole new game by having Smash come in first.
I've been hearing this kind of talk from here and there recently, so I'm wondering just how big of an influence Smash has become.

スクエニ枠はたしかにロトだったぞ
海外向けサードレトロで悪魔城、日本向けサードレトロでドラクエっていう発表の方向で進んでるって聞いてたから、ドラクエいつのまにかいなくなってて草生えたの覚えてるわ

あとはセフィロスとスーパーマリオRPGのMiiになってたやつがいたけど、セフィロスはまあ結局ドラクエ枠に譲る感じになって、Miiの方はなんかすげー微妙な立ち位置だったから見送りになった
なんかファンからの要望がそれなりにあるらしいんだけど、スマブラに出せってのばっかで、新作作れとかリメイクしろとかの要望がほとんど聞こえてこないから、開発元が困惑してるってパターン多いって聞いた
特にサード的にはスマブラのキャラってことで定着されるのが困るってことらしくて、たまにある新作欲しいとかもスマブラと関連付けられてて、スマブラありきの要望が増えてるから真意が分からなくなってるっぽい
声のでかい熱心なスマブラ厨がネットで言ってるだけって状況らしいから、本当にシリーズの復活が望まれてるのか微妙すぎて、先にスマブラ参戦させて合わせて新作なんて博打は打てないって話を聞いた

Seems to kinda line up with the idea that Volume 2 is going back at content that was scrapped during vol 1 and repurposing for this pack. The mentions of Steve and Sephiroth "being gone" and suddenly they are here for example.

It also mentions Tales of characters and Chun-Li. The latter was meant for base according to this roster but replaced with Ken so worth to keep an eye out for Chun AND we are still missing the Lloyd costume so it's either him or another Tales of character.

Interesting leak nonetheless but i still want Bandicoot so fake :4pacman:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
i like the idea of chun-li...but as a sort of bonus fighter. I tolerate the inclusion of Sephiroth because of FF being under-representation but Street Fighter has lots of music/spirits/etc and although they can include more, I think its well represented. I prefer them to choose another Capcom rep like Monster Hunter that has only Rathalos as a boss/assist trophy and 2 songs, or another Capcom IP.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
i like the idea of chun-li...but as a sort of bonus fighter. I tolerate the inclusion of Sephiroth because of FF being under-representation but Street Fighter has lots of music/spirits/etc and although they can include more, I think its well represented. I prefer them to choose another Capcom rep like Monster Hunter that has only Rathalos as a boss/assist trophy and 2 songs, or another Capcom IP.
I’ve lately found myself rooting for Darkstalkers’ Morrigan, seems like the sort of dark horse pick that would make a load of sense in hindsight.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Chun-Li would be fine, but I have a tough time seeing it. While she’s a popular character, she’s not THAT popular to justify double-dipping on Street Fighter, unlike Sephiroth, who’s probably a top 5 all time video game villain in popularity.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I have a gut feeling that Quote from Cave Story will appear as a Mii Gunner costume later down the line, whereas Ace Attorney either gets a fighter or a spirit event and Megami Tensei gets a non-Persona Mii Costume as well.

Let's say there is a third fighters pass just for the sake of filling up the spaces so you only get three fighters and 1 individual fighter who doesn't have the other stuff like a stage, music or spirit board.

Which characters would you pick? What stage would they come with? What music tracks would they come with? To make it simple, just pick your top 5 favourite music tracks for each pass. If it's too hard for you to think of characters because there are still 3 more slots left in the Fighters Pass 2, then just imagine Rayman, Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Guy taking those slots.

Fighter Pass 12:
2. Boulders​
3. Turtle Woods​
4. The Eel Deal​
5. Toad Village​

Fighter Pass 13:
1. Go Straight​
2. Dreamer​
3. Under Logic​
4, Slow Moon​
5, Never Return Alive​

Fighter Pass 14:
2. Space Station​
3. Ice Station​
4. Scrapyard​
5. Nightclub​

Whoa Fighter Pass 14? That's a lot of Fighters Passes...
Anyways, here are my picks.
Diamond_Pickaxe_JE3_BE3.png

1. Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
    • Stage ideas:
      • Neo New York
      • "Heaven"
    • Some music:
      • Keep Yourself Alive II
      • Feel a Fear
      • Suspicious Cook
      • March of the Wicked King
      • Haven't You Got Eyes in Your Head
  2. Quote (Cave Story)
    • Stage ideas:
      • ... cricket noises
    • Some music:
      • Balrog's Theme
      • On To Grasstown
      • Meltdown 2
      • Labyrinth Fight
      • Mischievous Robot
  3. Octoling (Splatoon)
    • Stage ideas:
      • Wahoo World
      • Manta Maria
    • Some music:
      • Chopscrewey
      • Entropical
      • #14 - Crush
      • Splattack! (Octo)
      • Blitz It!
My pick for the solo fighter would be ARMS's Kid Cobra for Min Min; aside from different ARMS, tweaked attributes and a few different animations, he'd be a clone of the Ramen Bomber.
Some stupid bull**** that takes up 3 slots (when it shouldn't), just like the last 5. (Okay, maybe Sothis gets a pass because it's a "better" version of an already existing spirit, but still...)

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I do not really think that the missing mii costumes hint toward a company rep. We had Heihachi and Gil in the last two passes. If Namco was going to get a rep, one would think they would keep all the namco costumes together for a big sale. I really hope it hints towards KOSMOS, but I am not going to get my hopes up. As for Monster Hunter. No idea. I do not buy the entire "stars align" approach given everyone thought that with Dante and Byleth.
I do think both costumes will return in some capacity. Not sure how though (IE a fighter or just the mii costume)

But currently, if I had to speculate on the last three, honestly cannot go wrong with a capcom character, a namco character and then a random.
For capcom, it could be the Monster Hunter Rep. I would personally love Ami or Phoenix. But I think they are too niche at this point.
As for Namco, I am still rooting for KOSMOS. But again, niche. I guess a character from demon souls... but I have no real experience with the series. Always felt like a fad the way people talk about it. Maybe Llyod. But he fells to old for a series that changes its protag every game. Maybe the newest protag from a tales game?

For the last one. I want Master Chief. Or someone from the FPS genre.

I will bet
Monster Hunter Rep
KOSMOS
Master Chief

I think that is who I am expecting.

M@R!3

Smash Ace

スクエニ枠はたしかにロトだったぞ

I'd love Yuri, but it'll probably be Lloyd if Tales manages to get anyone playable.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

スクエニ枠はたしかにロトだったぞ

That 5chan rumor sounds suspicious honestly. Erdrick was not chosen as the main, it was the Luminary. If that was a late change, maybe. I don't know. seems to much like a fan fiction.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Imagine Morrigan getting in with only a slight nerf to the cleavage

Mai Shiranui on suicide watch

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
pray it sister/brother !
Looking at your signature, it seems like your good taste isn’t a one-off thing either, I’d love Kass and Alucard as well!

edit: “Good boys and girls” seems like the new “No fighting game characters” or “No guns” in that we’ve probably misinterpreted or missed something. Not to get into details regarding the nitty-gritty but I doubt Mai’s cleavage was the sole perpetrator of the CERO crimes

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
For the record, and this is not necessarily at anyone in particular...I think it should be noted that Crash and Dante aren’t actually “big” picks.

Devil May Cry isn’t even close to their [Capcom] biggest series at this point. If they went for their “big” pick, then that would be Monster Hunter or Resident Evil.

Crash Bandicoot, coming from Activision Blizzard...I don’t know about that one. Blizzard has Overwatch and World of Warcraft (among others), while Activision is also known for Call of Duty games.

Calling them “big” picks and attempting to “disqualify” based on “we aren’t going to get all big picks” seems like it’s an incorrect evaluation of what they are, objectively. Are they big in 3rd party popularity right now? I’d say so. Are they these massive series like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or Minecraft? Absolutely not, and it’s not close, lol.

They’re just popular characters. One thing I will note, is that while I’m not gonna try starting anything, when I see people get mad about Crash or Dante discussion because they’re “popular”, it strikes me as though the response would be totally different if the characters in question were “my most wanted”.
Crash as a franchise is not as big as Overwatch, WoW nor CoD, no. But the main point of difference, IMHO, lies in that franchises like Cod, Overwatch and WoW are still heavily tied to the computer playerbase - Crash is mainly associated with consoles. Crash is also arguably more tied to its characters than Overwatch and WoW because the player plays as a singular and interacts with defined characters consistently. That goes give Crash a major advantage, since he's seen as "closer" to Nintendo.

Also, Overwatch encourages character switching depending on the situation (akin to MOBAs encouraging different character picks depending on team synergy and countering opponents' picks) while WoW - and related games like the RTS forebears - does not keep singular characters in the spotlight for very long. Arthas has two (IIRC) of the eight campaigns in WarCraft III plus its expansion Frozen Throne for example. CoD's been mainly seen as a multiplayer shooter, and characters are not emphasized in CoD's multiplayer modes (usually).

So it makes sense why Crash would be seen as a "big" pick.

Also, someone is hiring:

D

Deleted member

I really think all the characters we end up getting are going to end up having been considered in some fashion since the base game’s planning stages. It just makes sense to recycle the groundwork you’ve already laid when in a continuous development cycle, especially when it comes to potential negotiations. The exception to this being a 1st party promotional pick since those don’t require negotiations and it’d be pretty sketch to pick a character from Nintendo’s 2021 slate all the way back in 2015.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
One thing about the recent Sakurai Presents, is that it's answer the overused "Square is stingy" argument, as Sakurai points out the lack of Final Fantasy content was due to all the complicate legal **** and licensing headaches. It's amusing to see how Final Fantasy has now more in-game representation than Sonic.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
That 5chan rumor sounds suspicious honestly. Erdrick was not chosen as the main, it was the Luminary. If that was a late change, maybe. I don't know. seems to much like a fan fiction.
To be fair, is Luminary really the main? Back when the Dragon Quest rep got leaked, the only name we ever heard was Erdrick and in the only CG trailer Hero has been a part of thus far, Sephiroth's trailer, take a guess who was the Dragon Quest hero in it. Like don't get me wrong, I still believe all 4chan/5chan smash leaks are inherently fake (Namco pretty much has shut down any leaks), but mistaking which character was the default skin seems to be the smallest sin a fake leak can make, especially considering the actual leakers made the same mistake for 6 months.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The leak does have elements that have become real in a very realistic fashion (yes excuse me for that sentence i know its vague) but the fact every pick has a story tied to it with how they were picked and what the struggles were and whatever seems weird when characters are closely guarded

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai noted Erdrick and Luminary were planned practically from the start. So guessing Erdrick may not be hard, but it's not wrong either. It doesn't really add or remove how plausible it is. There were no clear leaks for the other Heroes, just those two. In addition, the leak that had Luminary, the seven squares, wasn't there super early either. Even Verge just mainly went in on Erdrick, but he clearly knew something. Others knew Hero had alts, but the wrong ones. There's going to constantly be a list of good and bad information, even among those who know something. And that's not even counting leakbait. And so on. Minute details don't make it fake overall. Just that, you know, leakers sometimes get bad sources/made up bits along with the real stuff. This also makes it harder for a source to be caught, which is part of why they do that. To keep their job.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's an interesting thought that so far, Minecraft is the only truly "all new" universe introduced in this pass.

Sephiroth is obviously another FF rep, but even though Min Min is ARMS' first character, it had already had a little bit of representation in the base game, with an assist trophy, two Mii outfits and five spirits. Essentially, similar to Sephiroth's pack, Min Min's pack just finishes the job of properly representing her home IP.

If Monster Hunter gets in, it'd be the same thing, as within the base game, there's already Rathalos as a boss fight in WOL and also an assist trophy and as well as two music tracks.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
To be fair, is Luminary really the main? Back when the Dragon Quest rep got leaked, the only name we ever heard was Erdrick and in the only CG trailer Hero has been a part of thus far, Sephiroth's trailer, take a guess who was the Dragon Quest hero in it. Like don't get me wrong, I still believe all 4chan/5chan smash leaks are inherently fake (Namco pretty much has shut down any leaks), but mistaking which character was the default skin seems to be the smallest sin a fake leak can make, especially considering the actual leakers made the same mistake for 6 months.
No. I agree with this sentiment. Just reading through it. It feel off. like a fan fiction. But from its logic, we would be expecting Chun Li and Llyod as the next fighters.

But given Nintendos track record on DLC. I guess that would be accurate in a way. Nintendo NEVER saves the best for last.
Base game ultimate started with Ridley, Simon and K Rool. Ended with Inciniroar and plant (and I like them both by the way. but they were underwhelming)
DLC1 started with Joker, Hero and Banjo. Giant names many wanted. I love Terry, he is my main. but I cannot deny people found him and Bylteh underwhelming.

So DLC2. Steve and Sephiroth. Massive names. wonder what under whelming characters we have next.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

Best part of morrigan is that a nerf to cleavage is the only thing she needs.. and cleavege isnt morrigan main selling point anyways. bayo has shown us that you can pretty much be suggestive, you just dont need to be explicit. And honestly if mai really would been considered as a fighter (instead of just a a stage cameo) probably something could have been done regarding her panty shots and bouncyness.

Looking at your signature, it seems like your good taste isn’t a one-off thing either, I’d love Kass and Alucard as well!

edit: “Good boys and girls” seems like the new “No fighting game characters” or “No guns” in that we’ve probably misinterpreted or missed something. Not to get into details regarding the nitty-gritty but I doubt Mai’s cleavage was the sole perpetrator of the CERO crimes
why thank you... With sephirot i dont see alucard happening... but if something as a third FP is ever considered, he will be easily back into the fray.I guess that Kass also depend of BOTW2, but unlike teh champions, i dopn't see any reason why kass wouldnt come back in that game. i really thik that we need another zelda rep and a BOTW saga rep outside of vanilla link. and while i love the champions too, i feel that Kass is able to encompass the four of them, kinda like byleth did with teh house leaders. Pluss he is still a charsmatic character with its own strengths and plus.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe

Fighter Pass 12:
2. Boulders​
3. Turtle Woods​
4. The Eel Deal​
5. Toad Village​

Fighter Pass 13:
1. Go Straight​
2. Dreamer​
3. Under Logic​
4, Slow Moon​
5, Never Return Alive​

Fighter Pass 14:
2. Space Station​
3. Ice Station​
4. Scrapyard​
5. Nightclub​

FP 12: Rex
Stage: lepthiria archipelago
Music:
1) lepthiria day (remix)
2) Mor Ardain day
3) Incoming!
4) crossing swords
5) battle! (Torna)

FP 13: Jetstream Sam
Stage: World Marshal building
Music:
1) The only thing I know for real
2) rules of nature
3) hot wind blowing
4) my own master now (DL-01 version)
5) it has to be this way

FP 14: Nero
Stage: Devil May Cry office
Music:
1) Devil trigger
2) public enemy
3) bury the light
4) the time has come
5) devils never cry

individual character: Magnus!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Best part of morrigan is that a nerf to cleavage is the only thing she needs.. and cleavege isnt morrigan main selling point anyways. bayo has shown us that you can pretty much be suggestive, you just dont need to be explicit. And honestly if mai really would been considered as a fighter (instead of just a a stage cameo) probably something could have been done regarding her panty shots and bouncyness.
The only thing CERO really only has an issue with are just panties anyways, that'd be no problem for Morrigan.

Also, people forgetting Bayonetta when it comes to "Too sexy for Smash".

Not that I'm expecting Morrigan getting in anyways.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace

Fighter Pass 12:
Fighter #82: Darkrai
Stage: Newmoon Island
Music:
1. Gen 4 Legendary Battle
2. Battle Ultra Beast
3. Battle Tapu Guardian
4. Gen 8 Gym Leader Theme
5. Zacian/Zamazenta Theme

Fighter Pass 13:
Fighter #83: Thief (Maplestory)
Stage: Kerning City
Music:
1. Floral Life
2. Nightmare
3. When The Morning Comes
4. Bad Guys
5. Nautilus

Fighter Pass 14:
Fighter #84: Male Slayer (Dungeon Fighter)
Stage: Hendon Myre
Music:
1. Frozenheart
2. Dragonoid Nest Stage
3. Ghost Train Boss Stage
4. Grim Reaper
5. Chasing the Moonlight

Individual character: Waluigi

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So I’m not gonna call this likely or anything, with 3 packs to go, but I was thinking.

If we get a Capcom pick, and it’s not Monster Hunter, and each pack gets 5-6 costumes, with a few from their series and usually from their company...I’m sure somebody will consider this Mii Costume Theory but I am not going to call it that.

Here’s how I could see Dante’s pack:
-Vergil Swordfighter
-Nero swordfighter
Or
-Lady Gunner
-Monster Hunter
-Rathalos Armor
-Phoenix Wright with Cornered (if Premium doesn’t only apply to indie titles)
Or
-Lloyd

Like I said, I’m not gonna call that likely. It WOULD seem that there are a handful of cases where Mii costumes are paired with the company they come from, or the genre with which they represent. We saw this with Akira in Terry’s presentation (fighting games) and Heihachi with Min Min. Joker’s presentation also had entirely SEGA owned costumes, or affiliated with it.

If Phoenix Wright is the pick (as much as I love Ace Attorney, I think he’ll be a Mii costume), then I could see Dante being a swordfighter costume. I’m not super confident in this exactly being a pack but I could see it.

Lloyd could also be in a different pack, with an actual JRPG pick, if we get one. I’m getting the feeling that any missing Miis were deliberately held off until these picks, making their absence seem actually negligible as opposed to indicative of being playable. I also wouldn’t necessarily rule out Monster Hunter miis coming with an actual Monster Hunter fighter, but I’m skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom