• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Out of the 3 characters left what are you expecting the ratio between 1st and 3rd parties to be. Personally I am expecting 2 First Party to 1 Third Party
I see it going down like this between the last 3 characters:

We will have 1 more first party
We will have 1 more third party
The remaining pack could go either way

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Out of the 3 characters left what are you expecting the ratio between 1st and 3rd parties to be. Personally I am expecting 2 First Party to 1 Third Party
I'm going to go the other way and say the rest of the pass is going to be all Third Party characters.

Have we gotten any Capcom content since FP1? I can’t imagine why they’d be holding out unless we got a character from them. Especially with how fitting some fighting game miis would’ve been for min min. Plus flashy monster hunter miis would have worked for Sephiroth or Steve. And not even a spirit event for Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, OR DMCA.?Something doesn’t smell right to me about that.
I'm pretty sure the Monster Hunter Mii costumes will arrive eventually. They're probably being saved for another character.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wonder if Shovel Knight might have a chance. There's no Mii Fighter costume for him. Yet many similarly sized and famous Indie icons have one. He was a pretty heavy rumor that turned into actual demand that made him an assist trophy.

And he is kind of ''Mister Indie Game." It's mostly the lack of Mii Fighter costume for him that seems odd to me. He's a pretty easy Mii Fighter to make. Sure he'd be using his shovel as a sword, but he's ripe for Swordsfighter and we still haven't really had him as one.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I wonder if Shovel Knight might have a chance. There's no Mii Fighter costume for him. Yet many similarly sized and famous Indie icons have one. He was a pretty heavy rumor that turned into actual demand that made him an assist trophy.

And he is kind of ''Mister Indie Game." It's mostly the lack of Mii Fighter costume for him that seems odd to me. He's a pretty easy Mii Fighter to make. Sure he'd be using his shovel as a sword, but he's ripe for Swordsfighter and we still haven't really had him as one.
I think Assist Trophies are deconfirmed after Spring Man.
But I'd love a Deluxe Mii Costume for Shovel Knight (and Dr. Cortex).

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think Assist Trophies are deconfirmed after Spring Man.
But I'd love a Deluxe Mii Costume for Shovel Knight (and Dr. Cortex).
I don't think assist trophies are off the tables. It's just a silly fan rule. Not something actually stated by the development team. After all I believe after all the Arms fighters were discussed for the playable slot and it was just a request of it's franchise team for it to be Min Min as the fighter.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think assist trophies are off the tables. It's just a silly fan rule. Not something actually stated by the development team. After all I believe after all the Arms fighters were discussed for the playable slot and it was just a request of it's franchise team for it to be Min Min as the fighter.
Sure, they may not be, but there's 3 characters left, so that "They're not completely off the table!" gets smaller and smaller each time.

I'm not gonna say that Assists ain't happening, but I'm also not expecting any to happen.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sure, they may not be, but there's 3 characters left, so that "They're not completely off the table!" gets smaller and smaller each time.

I'm not gonna say that Assists ain't happening, but I'm also not expecting any to happen.
They're gonna have to make some budget cuts somehow if Max is right about Sephiroth. On top of the fact that they've probably already gotten the majority of their sales anyway.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

This always felt like a much better way to put it. With precedent, it's hard to believe it'll change. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

AT's obviously wouldn't be hard to "promote"(which is misleading, since that means removing the old code in the context of which real promotions are. Upgrade isn't really a better term. In realty, what they're doing is adding related content, just in a different way. But pet peeve aside...) anyway. You disable the current AT. Wow, so difficult.

It's why the argument that it's impossible is poor when used as "they already have a role in the game". Min Min also killed that hard. Especially as Spirits are not like Trophies, but actual gameplay roles. Beyond that, that doesn't mean much either way. For Sakurai, he is unlikely to actually care at that point. He knows the character can work, and it takes literally copying a previous code with a tiny change to fix any issues for AT spawning. The idea he's so satisfied he would never change it is completely unfounded anyway. But beyond that, Nintendo is directly choosing the characters. That means they can suggest anyone, including AT's. And the kicker is Sakurai can easily make them work unrelated to the AT status, so won't realistically deny them because of that. It'll be because of things like licensing, or not having a workable moveset in mind(only Pass 1 was confirmed nobody was denied due to gameplay reasons. There's no reason to apply that to Pass 2. Especially when we got Min Min and Steve, who clearly are difficutl to program characters due to some unique mechanics).

I don't expect an AT either, but there's nothing stopping it beyond precedent right now. Or Nintendo coincidentally not choosing them anyway.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I'm going to go the other way and say the rest of the pass is going to be all Third Party characters.

I'm pretty sure the Monster Hunter Mii costumes will arrive eventually. They're probably being saved for another character.
I’m leaning towards a Capcom focused pass. One gets the Challenger Pack. One gets a mii costume. The other gets a Mii costume. I think it’d be most likely Ace Attorney Challenger pack. Monster Hunter mii costumes (Both returning and new). And a DMCA spirit event. This is probably off by quite a bit. But I predict that one of the Challenge Packs is for Capcom.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I too was against fan rules, but so far, Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes seem to be disconfirmations.

Let's wait out til E3 2021 to say that.
So far, E3 has been big reveals. Steve was clearly supposed to be the E3 character and Banjo and Ridley were also big Western picks.
My gut says Jonesy is our next E3 character.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That's fair but a TRUE FAN would realize that Jupiter's the only planet Supernova's meteor penetrates, as Pluto is completely destroyed and not a planet. If you like Sephiroth's inclusion you are not a true fan. If you enjoyed FF7 you are not a true fan.
A TRUE FAN would realize that FF7 doesn't take place on Earth...so why does Supernova blow up OUR solar system?!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm thinking:

• Dante/Phoenix Wright.
  • Smaller third party.
  • Mario/Pokemon/Zelda character.
Mine's Monster Hunter, Jonesy, Crash Bandicoot.
In that order.
But that also leaves Crash for the final slot, which will definitely raise my anxiety, as he is my "must have" pick.

Shroob

Sup?
So anyway, 7NATOR 7NATOR posted this earlier but it didn't get any eyes on it.

For anyone who doesn't wanna click a 4chan link, here's the image

1608284734197.png

Got 3/6, and it even pulled from the conundrum that Sakurai had about an ARMs rep. Probably lucky guesses all around but hey, it's got more right than the dinky 5ch leak.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Here’s what I’m now thinking:

Rex (March)
Crash (June)
Phoenix Wright (June or Sept)?
There's one worth a grilled cheese humiliation.
If ANY Mii Costume (currently in Ultimate, so not Monster Hunter or Lloyd) gets upgraded to a playable fighter, I will record another grilled cheese humiliation video.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So anyway, 7NATOR 7NATOR or posted this earlier but it didn't get any eyes on it.

View attachment 296173

Got 3/6, and it even pulled from the conundrum that Sakurai had about an ARMs rep. Probably lucky guesses all around but hey, it's got more right than the dinky 5ch leak.
Would be more believable if they were in the right order. And, you know...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just want a Phoenix Wright Smash Trailer with Mario attempting to sue Ridley, Steve, and Sephiroth for attempting to kill him with Phoenix as Mario's lawyer.

It's funny to think Steve and Sephiroth were most likely E3 2020 reveals and Nintendo legit said: ''Welcome to Nintendo's E3 2020 Direct. In this presentation you will watch Mario ''die" twice."

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So anyway, 7NATOR 7NATOR or posted this earlier but it didn't get any eyes on it.

View attachment 296173

Man I actually want this to be real to have Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Guy though I'd be sad to not have Crash Bandicoot.

Shroob

Sup?
Would be more believable if they were in the right order. And, you know...
I definitely think it's fake, but I do find it a bit humorous it called the "Min Min and Ninjara" when Sakurai made mention he wasn't sure which to go for. It does say and, but eh, fake's a fake.

I doubt the order means anything(But it's probably fake anyway sooo)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The only thing I'm sort of anticipating is a very recent first-party character who was added for the sole purpose of promoting a game that came out close or during the DLC development.

Seems like that would be something both Nintendo and Sakurai would want, even if it might be for different reasons.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only thing I'm sort of anticipating is a very recent first-party character who was added for the sole purpose of promoting a game that came out close or during the DLC development.

Seems like that would be something both Nintendo and Sakurai would want, even if it might be for different reasons.
Honestly? I've entertained the idea of Tom Nook for this very reason. New Horizons blew up even more than New Leaf. It was essentially one of the most talked about games of 2020 and going into 2021 I'm sure they'll want to continue that momentum with it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly? I've entertained the idea of Tom Nook for this very reason. New Horizons blew up even more than New Leaf. It was essentially one of the most talked about games of 2020 and going into 2021 I'm sure they'll want to continue that momentum with it.
They wouldn't have had a spirit event for it if NH was planned to have a challenger pack. That's what they seem to be doing with most recent first parties, so if you want to figure out who might have a chance, you'll have to enter the forbidden zone of modern Smash speculation.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think we're gonna have to wait til Smash 7 before we get another wave of Nintendo characters.
Tom Nook is a no brainier, but so are Toad, Dixie Kong, Isaac, Bandana Waddle Dee, Krystal...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think we're gonna have to wait til Smash 7 before we get another wave of Nintendo characters.
Tom Nook is a no brainier, but so are Toad, Dixie Kong, Isaac, Bandana Waddle Dee, Krystal...
And I think we're either gonna have to wait for Smash 6 or FP3 for more expensive characters to join the roster. And it'll be only two.

Chirp1249

Smash Rookie
ngl the two characters that imo are very likely to get into smash as DLCs are eggman and phoenix wright.
eggman because sonic's 30th anniversary is pretty close, and phoenix wright because thanks to the capcom gigaleak, we now know that ace attorney 7 is in development, and scheduled to release in 2021 alongside a localization of the great ace attorney,

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That'd be sweet. He's not my top favorite option(since that's Mr. Resetti), but he feels like he'd make either a good echo of Isabelle(since they, unlike Villager, have the same bodyshape) or could focus on a similar but alternate variant. In the way that Fox/Falco/Wolf are quite different~ It helps he pretty much is the core NPC of New Horizons, taking the reigns back from Isabelle. It's like they're fighting for the mascot position at times, heh.

Staarih

Smash Master

Honestly, something like BotW2 Zelda wouldn't surprise me one bit first-party wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom