• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
An interesting tidbit that Max mentioned recently on his livestream (currently live as of writing. replay here). The cost to have both Cloud and Sephiroth in Smash would likely match or even exceed the total budget allocated for Smash Bros. Ultimate. Max believes Sakurai was likely able get both only because of how respected he is within the Japanese game industry and Nintendo's negotiations.
The Entire Budget. as in not The Budget allocated to Make Smash Ultimate as a Game, and Fund Development for 2+ Years?

Cloud and Sephiroth on their own Matched and Exceeded that, if Sakurai wasn't the person in the Directors Chair. That's honestly kind of Ridiculous (Not that I don't believe it, Its just really weird to think about that)

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
An interesting tidbit that Max mentioned recently on his livestream (currently live as of writing. replay here). The cost to have both Cloud and Sephiroth in Smash would likely match or even exceed the total budget allocated for Smash Bros. Ultimate. Max believes Sakurai was likely able get both only because of how respected he is within the Japanese game industry and Nintendo's negotiations.
So only Sakurai has the power to put Cloud and Sephiroth in the same game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeahhhh

I dunno. The most expensive characters? Not surprising. As expensive as all the other DLC together? Plausible. As expensive as literally everything else in the game combined, including development, marketing, and maybe manufacturing and distribution?

First off, no chance. Secondly, if it is true, and they cost the equivalent of the entire budget to a triple-A Nintendo game... it'd be almost irresponsible to have spent that money on them instead of elsewhere.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The Entire Budget. as in not The Budget allocated to Make Smash Ultimate as a Game, and Fund Development for 2+ Years?

Cloud and Sephiroth on their own Matched and Exceeded that, if Sakurai wasn't the person in the Directors Chair. That's honestly kind of Ridiculous (Not that I don't believe it, Its just really weird to think about that)
Yeahhhh

I dunno. The most expensive characters? Not surprising. As expensive as all the other DLC together? Plausible. As expensive as literally everything else in the game combined, including development, marketing, and maybe manufacturing and distribution?

First off, no chance. Secondly, if it is true, and they cost the equivalent of the entire budget to a triple-A Nintendo game... it'd be almost irresponsible to have spent that money on them instead of elsewhere.

I transcribed the part in question. Can't provide a direct timestamp here due to language obviously.

Max said:
"I can tell you for a fact Cloud and Sephiroth's likeness to actually appear in games is insanely expensive. The licensing for these characters would probably outweigh the budget that they had to make Smash Bros. Ultimate, if not a close amount. Just to even have the characters appear in this game, the cost of that would have been close to what this game's budget was. They are super ******* expensive.

Unless you are somebody like Sakurai who has a deep amount of connections within a huge variety of companies outside of Nintendo, is deeply respected within the Japanese games industry, and is able to make convincing arguments. He even said before that it was difficult to even get Cloud in Smash Ultimate; that Cloud was "this" close to not even making it in Smash Ultimate."
The thing I am getting at is that Sakurai's connections played a big role in getting two FF7 characters in-game and likely helped to bring costs down to something manageable.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I transcribed the part in question. Can't provide a direct timestamp here due to language obviously.
And this is why people need to lower their expectations for the rest of the pass.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not suggesting he didn't say that; I believe you. I just think he's either overestimating how much they cost or underestimating how much Smash costs - because at the point the license of two characters can equal the budget of your entire triple-A game, acquiring them slashes your profit margin substantially.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m pretty sure he was exaggerating. Like yeah they probably cost a lot but I’m like 90% sure Max was just being overtly dramatic with that. There’s no business sense to spending that much money on a character.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Alright, busy actually enjoying the new content all morning, so what happened on the speculation scene in the meantime? I see the Geno thread managed to not get itself locked somehow.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Since Sega and Capcom are the only third-parties left that haven't gotten content yet in this pass (aside from SNK), I think at least one Nintendo character is coming. If the Monster Hunter costumes return in the next bundle and the character isn't from Capcom, I'd probably start leaning toward the rest of the pass being Nintendo or new companies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Since Sega and Capcom are the only third-parties left that haven't gotten content yet in this pass (aside from SNK), I think at least one Nintendo character is coming. If the Monster Hunter costumes return in the next bundle and the character isn't from Capcom, I'd probably start leaning toward the rest of the pass being Nintendo or new companies.
Namco and Konami: Am I a joke to you?

Unless you are counting Mii costumes. Do they count as part of the pass? They more or less get released alongside it.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
ok, the one big sephiroth question on my mind: why the **** is there math in supernova.
aims gun ...always has been.

-Super Nintendo World is at Universal Studios
-E.T. has a ride at Universal Studios
E.T. confirmed for Smash???
I mean...he IS a video game icon...

on the other hand - people just like Crash. He's so discussed because people like him.
Nah man. He's discussed because some commercials in the 90s convinced some kids he was somehow Mario and Sonic's rival.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I'm not suggesting he didn't say that; I believe you. I just think he's either overestimating how much they cost or underestimating how much Smash costs - because at the point the license of two characters can equal the budget of your entire triple-A game, acquiring them slashes your profit margin substantially.
I’m pretty sure he was exaggerating. Like yeah they probably cost a lot but I’m like 90% sure Max was just being overtly dramatic with that. There’s no business sense to spending that much money on a character.
I think what Max meant was that Square-Enix's normal asking price for Cloud and Sephiroth (and probably any FF7 character in general) is extremely high and it was because of Sakurai's connections and standing in the industry that likely allowed for budgeting to be brought down to something reasonable, and for two FF7 characters to appear together in Smash. We do know that PSABR tried asking for Cloud, only to fail because of how beyond the paygrade the character was.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nelson when Min Min got announced
And this is why people need to lower their expectations for the rest of the pass.
Nelson when Steve got announced
And this is why people need to lower their expectations for the rest of the p
Nelson when Sephiroth got announced
Wonder if Sakurai's gonna have this happen for another 2 characters

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think what Max meant was that Square-Enix's normal asking price for Cloud and Sephiroth (and probably any FF7 character in general) is extremely high and it was because of Sakurai's connections and standing in the industry that likely allowed for budgeting to be brought down to something reasonable, and for two FF7 characters to appear together in Smash. We do know that PSABR tried asking for Cloud, only to fail because of how beyond the paygrade the character was.
That's more believable.

iirc, from what he's said before, Crash is another obscenely expensive character. And another that we basically know PSASBR tried and failed to acquire.
Poor PSASBR...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If we’re getting a Nintendo character, I’m stanning:

-Porky Minch
-Waluigi
-Skull Kid
-Midna
-Gengar
-Toad
-King Boo
-Chibi-Robo

Realistically:

-Waluigi
-Toad
-Skull Kid
-Porky

Prediction:

-Waluigi

If I’m wrong:

-I won’t be wrong

For real though:

-yes

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice

tl;dw: Sephiroth and Cloud probably cost nearly as much as Ultimate's budget, and Sakurai's connections plus Nintendo's negotiations are the only reason they were able to get them at a reasonable price.

If what Maximilian is saying here is true (and you should believe him, dude knows a lot of people in the FGC and was involved with the development of Killer Instinct), I can only imagine what Sora's licencing fees are.

edit: fixed link

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I sticking on my own prediction I don't trust rumors anymore. Wont even care if it doesn't happen. I bidding my money on Crash Bandicoot Dr.Eggman and Zelda (BOTW).

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
If we’re getting a Nintendo character, I’m stanning:

-Porky Minch
-Waluigi
-Skull Kid
-Midna
-Gengar
-Toad
-King Boo
-Chibi-Robo

Realistically:

-Waluigi
-Toad
-Skull Kid
-Porky

Prediction:

-Waluigi

If I’m wrong:

-I won’t be wrong

For real though:

-yes
What is realistic about Porky?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Just got done playing around with Seph, gotta say, he’s pretty interesting.

His attack speed kinda takes some getting used to, but I think I’ll get the hang of it.
UpB is super fun to mess around with.
Decided to split the 11 FF songs evenly between Northern Cave and Midgar.
Also, Seph’s uptilt can poke the top platform of battlefield.

Anyway, going forward, my wants list is the same as ever. I do wonder how they’ll follow up Steve and Sephiroth. I honestly kinda hope our next newcomer is more of a “mellow” addition, so to speak.

I feel like that in itself would be pretty unique.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I really wonder how much using Geno cost these days.

Probably alot less than getting Cloud and Sephi, but still.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't want to rule them out completely though, because they could easily pull a DQ and have all the Mii costumes be related to the character.

Still, no costumes looks better than some.
No, I'm just pokin fun, no biggie lol.

I think it's kinda obvious now that yeah, they do hold Mii costumes pretty tight to the chest, and while Lloyd's case isn't very concerning, considering Heihachi and Gil's.... Monster Hunter's is a bit eyebrow raising. They could very well be late, but I also can't imagine that they wouldn't come with the next character one way or another, if only for the free promotion due to Rise.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
People refuse to believe his Spirit's a joke about his fate but rather a hint that's been in the making for over 2 years
Oh yeah, that. I've heard people say the sprite is the wrong one but the difference is so subtle that it is almost certainly just an oversight. I mean, they also used a fan-made Masked Man spirit on accident so it is not unlikely at all.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I really wonder how much using Geno cost these days.

Probably alot less than getting Cloud and Sephi, but still.
Geno's cost probably is basically no issue. They got him for a Spirit and a Smash icon in the base game and then they've gotten him twice in a row for a Mii Costume. Like Mallow and Geno were the only Square Enix Spirits in the base game besides the Cloud fighter Spirits, and you don't do that for expensive stuff.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What is realistic about Porky?
Probably nothing, I just feel he has some chance for some reason, at least if they were to include another Mother character.

Mostly it’s just my hopes and bias :pikachu: I was having a bit of fun with that post anyway.
People refuse to believe his Spirit's a joke about his fate but rather a hint that's been in the making for over 2 years
That’s not what I think, I’m aware it’s a joke and no way could it be a hint after over even a year.

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Geno's cost probably is basically no issue. They got him for a Spirit and a Smash icon in the base game and then they've gotten him twice in a row for a Mii Costume. Like Mallow and Geno were the only Square Enix Spirits in the base game besides the Cloud fighter Spirits, and you don't do that for expensive stuff.
Geno is only getting in if both Nintendo and Square Enix want him as a fighter. I don't think they do.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Probably nothing, I just think he has some chance for some reason, at least if they were to include another Mother character.

Mostly it’s just my hopes and bias :pikachu: I was having a bit of fun with that post anyway.

That’s not what I think, I’m aware it’s a joke and no way could it be a hint after over a year.
Do tell why you find Porky realistic then because you'd be the first one seeing him likely without this argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom