• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't know. The last several returning Capcom costumes came with non-Capcom characters.
I think Capcom is bit of a different case. Square-Enix and Bandai Namco only had 2-3 outfits from Smash 4 to bring back, but Capcom on the other hand had a whole buttload of leftover costumes, so it made sense to spread most of them out throughout the first pass, where they weren't getting a character anyways.

But we're on to FP2 and the MH outfits are still at large three waves in. It's not a hard lock, but it might be something to consider.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I wonder, will any future DLC fighters be rolled out in a similar manner? I feel this is probably a one-off thing, myself.
It's supposed to be a tribute to Sephiroth being a boss, alongside his classic mode, but maybe if reception is good enough they'll consider doing this challenge again for future fighters.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Yes, they are. Just because you like to talk about the characters that the "anyone can happen, but only these particular characters can" crowd accepts doesn't mean speculation hasn't devolved into narrow-minded Crash fanboyism.
It hasn't. Crash doesn't dominate speculation in this board, Twitter, Reddit, /v/, etc. From what I've seen, a vast majority of people do think that anyone can happen, and the "but only these particular characters can" crowd is basically non-existent.
They can't all be huge icons. They won't, haven't, and shouldn't. But having huge icons is pretty important to Smash's identity. It's not something to oppose on principle.
People aren't demanding for huge series that much anyway. If that was the case, we'd be seeing a lot more discussion around stuff like GTA and Call of Duty.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
1. Rest in piece, Beware the Forest Mushrooms. What a missed opportunity to not have one of the greatest video game songs of all time in Smash. Oh yeah, and Geno too, I guess. 😋 (But for real, I wanted the song more than I wanted him. Sucks that he's not in though.)
2. I know not every character will be as big as Steve and Sephiroth in FP2. That being said, I do think we'll get at least one more big pick, and I would put my money on Crash. Don't care for the dude, but it would be a big deal.
3. Sephiroth is dope. It's cool to finally have a DLC villain. And a third-party one at that.
4. Yes, I think we'll get a Capcom rep now.
5. I'm not as confident about Ryu Hayabusa now, even with Koei Tecmo and Nintendo flirting as much as they do.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm honestly at this point expecting a Namco rep given the Lloyd Mii costume eventually supposedly coming.

Dovahkiin is certainly a fitting reveal for next year's VGA.
Considering that Namco costumes seem to be fair game to be tossed in "Wherever", I seriously doubt that.

I also seriously doubt the DLC will stretch on until December of next year.

If we get a character in March, and then again in June for E3 time, we'd be waiting 5~ months for FP11.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Considering that Namco costumes seem to be fair game to be tossed in "Wherever", I seriously doubt that.

I also seriously doubt the DLC will stretch on until December of next year.

If we get a character in March, and then again in June for E3 time, we'd be waiting 5~ months for FP11.
True.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
All I will say regarding Namco is that I don't expect any fighters from that company after we've had two Namco mii costumes unceremoniously dropped in other fighter packs. They clearly saved the SE miis for the SE fighter, if we were gonna get a Namco fighter they'd save the Namco miis for that. Capcom is similair in that regard but we haven't gotten any Capcom miis dropped throughout pass 2 so part of me is inclined to believe they're saving it for a Capcom fighter. Who knows? Maybe I'm just looking too deep into this, but these are my thoughts on the two companies.

Anyways back to labbing Sephiroth and arguing with others over which tier he's in.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Not really related to the current discussion, but I totally called the arranger for the FF7 main theme remix being Motoi Sakuraba when I heard it. That arrangement is the most Tales-y arrangement of the FF7 main theme I've heard and I absolutely love it
I also noticed that! Sakuraba really has a certain distinguishable touch. I Hope he does some more remix’s for a certain JRPG series he’s known for.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Not really related to the current discussion, but I totally called the arranger for the FF7 main theme remix being Motoi Sakuraba when I heard it. That arrangement is the most Tales-y arrangement of the FF7 main theme I've heard and I absolutely love it
No joke, its the first time I've ever heard of the FF7 main theme.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Welp I finally found time to watch the broadcast, enjoyed it overall and Sephiroth looks like Marth, Byleth and Ganondorf in a blender which suits my style well. Shame about Geno, however not too surprising once Sephiroth was revealed, 2 SE reps in one pack seemed incredibly unlikely to me. Glad for more music, and the Sephiroth boss event is just brilliant.

Now we're probably not going to see anything of Smash until Feb/March, so I hope you all enjoy your holidays :) I'm crossing my fingers for Monster Hunter/Huntress in March alongside Rise.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I'm more hyped for this Direct tomorrow than I have for any reveal in Ultimate tbh. I just never thought the day would actually come. Especially with Covid ruining everything.

The best part is that the Hollywood version's construction is going super smoothly. Instead of buying a plane ticket to Japan, I can just drive down to LA.

If the theme parks ever reopen that is...

But Super Nintendo World will be unlike anything the world has ever seen. It's Universal's answer to Galaxy's Edge. The amount of kinetic energy in this land is unreal.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Sephiroth is actually pretty fun. I took him online and had a good track record with him.

...Actually, my GSP ended up higher than my main, Piranha Plant. That's a little depressing...

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Just got back from playing Sephiroth a ton, and oh my god he's fun as hell! It's so satisfying to blow opponents up with gigaflare! I also had to clear every difficulty of the Sephiroth challenge with Cloud, it didn't feel right otherwise. My condolences to Geno fans though, I was never really a big fan of SMRPG, but it sucks to have your most wanted taken that way.

As for predictions, I'm almost certain we're getting a Capcom character in the pass, either Monster Hunter, Dante, or Phoenix by my guess, though I wish it were either Monster Hunter, Morrigan, or Amaterasu. The MH costumes are still MIA, so it's really up in the air at this point. I want Monster Hunter as a character, but I also know that MH could easily go the same route as Geno did.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I wonder what kind of release promotions other DLC characters could get. Maybe instead of a boss fight against them, you have to clear a challenge as them (like Century Smash or Cruel Smash)? Or some kind of special rule set. Imagine having to fight against a Pokémon immune to all your attacks, by throwing endless barrages of Pokeballs at them. ...Or KOing them with a Pokeball instead?

Shroob

Sup?
I wonder what kind of release promotions other DLC characters could get. Maybe instead of a boss fight against them, you have to clear a challenge as them (like Century Smash or Cruel Smash)? Or some kind of special rule set. Imagine having to fight against a Pokémon immune to all your attacks, by throwing endless barrages of Pokeballs at them. ...Or KOing them with a Pokeball instead?
I've been saying it but.

Monster Hunter

Play as the Hunter to beat Rathalos, easiest idea ever, no contest. It'd be literally just a boss fight that let you play as the Hunter early and get a feel for 'em.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Beat the assist trophy as their fighter counterpart to unlock them early.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I'm more hyped for this Direct tomorrow than I have for any reveal in Ultimate tbh. I just never thought the day would actually come. Especially with Covid ruining everything.

The best part is that the Hollywood version's construction is going super smoothly. Instead of buying a plane ticket to Japan, I can just drive down to LA.

If the theme parks ever reopen that is...

But Super Nintendo World will be unlike anything the world has ever seen. It's Universal's answer to Galaxy's Edge. The amount of kinetic energy in this land is unreal.
I go to the Orlando Universal and of course that version is having some serious delays because it's being built in a entirely new park. I might have to make a trip over to Hollywood once it's open and this whole virus mess is over ofc.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I go to the Orlando Universal and of course that version is having some serious delays because it's being built in a entirely new park. I might have to make a trip over to Hollywood once it's open and this whole virus mess is over ofc.
Yeah, seeing Epic Universe put on hold indefinitely is rather depressing. Its even more depressing to realize that if they went with the plan before moving to Epic Universe, Super Nintendo World would have replaced the Woody Woodpecker's Kid Zone (besides ET) and probably would have been done this year.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The majority of the DLC has been from IP with content shared across multiple holders. Seems to boil down more to who the holders are rather than how many.
I dunno about that.

SE is actually fairly unusual in the way, say, their games' composers have rights to their music. Or the artists have the rights to character designs.

Almost no other game company works like that. People just work for hire.

So, who's ready for the Capcom wars to start again?

CP9 in March seems likely

2 missing Monster Hunter costumes

Rise comes out at the end of March
GnG Resurrection comes out in Feb.

It's a race, and Arthur wins!

Wow, I thought "Let the Battle Begin" was the FF7 main theme. The actual main theme is really nice.
"Let the Battle Begin" is the battle theme. "Main Theme" is the overworld music.

I've always been indifferent to Geno in general, but isn't that he's a Mii Costume an acknowledgement of sorts from Nintendo?
It WAS. In Smash 4. But now it's just another returning costume. And since they're ALL returning, it's not much of an acknowledgement anymore.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I have been saiying this over and over but I’m sure we will see a MH Rise promotion next march, it can be just a special spirit event, maybe a full challenger pack fighter, stage, etc or just the returning Smash 4 mii costumes (or everything lol).

As for CP9, I expect a Capcom rep, maybe the Monster Hunter (its the biggest IP worldwide for Capcom) but I would like to play as Dante. Just imagine a match between Bayonetta vs Dante, or Sephiroth vs Dante. If its from Capcom, hope they include more Mii Costumes like a “Deluxe” Viewtiful Joe. CP9 will probably get announced and released by march.

In case we don’t get a Capcom rep, I have faith in the chosen undead from dark souls, its one of the most influential IPs of last decade and still don’t get a new sword/shield fighter this FP. He can be an interesting fighter. Either Lloyd or MH armours can come with this fighter (by the way that fits the “theme”)

Don’t know what to expect from CP10 being honest, CP11 I can totally see being a Nintendo fighter, something boring like a gen 8 Pokémon, my hope is a Xenoblade fighter.

A sequence of March/June/September for the release of the final 3 fighters is pausible, it would be a wait of 90 days between each of them. Its good that Sakurai and his crew can get back to their office, that should speed up development a little more.

About on going theories, there is is still “sound voice theory” that may suggests that we are getting 1 fighter of the final 3 with an alt that need another voice (like a boy/girl gender) and the “universe music” suggests that we are getting two more new universes to smash, that means that 1 of the remaining 3 fighters will likely be from a universe that already has a playable fighter.

Sephiroth Mii Costumes wave included 5 mii costumes from 3 splash screen (Smash Bros X Final Fantasy VII/Final Fantasy/Super Mario RPG). One of the last 3 mii costume waves will only include 4 mii fighter costumes and another should include 5 splash screen. This need to happen in order to mantein the same average value of Mii Costumes per wave (5) and splash screen (4) like FP1. Although Sephiroth’ MCW didn’t include an assist trophy promotion (like Marie/Callie or Bomberman) or “popular” request (Vault Boy/Travis), I think that the next MCW will follow the same pattern as Min Min or Steve’s. Of course, assuming the rest of Smash 4 miis returned, one of the CPs will not include an old mii costume, so yeah the pattern will be broken again lol.

Hope the last 3 include more “deluxe” mii costumes, I want a new brawler and 2 swordfighters, and I will be happy :).

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
An interesting tidbit that Max mentioned recently on his livestream (currently live as of writing. replay here). The cost to have both Cloud and Sephiroth in Smash would likely match or even exceed the total budget allocated for Smash Bros. Ultimate. Max believes Sakurai was likely able get both only because of how respected he is within the Japanese game industry and Nintendo's negotiations.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's still so surreal to me that a character I'd have dismissed if you told me they were in the game 2 weeks ago is easily the character I've been the most excited about for the DLC. I've yet to get a character I actually want but if the other 3 as good as this then quite frankly I have no right to complain.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
As much as I want characters in Smash, for the most part, I'm pretty detached from who gets in and who doesn't. If my top pick gets deconfirmed, I'm disappointed for about 10 min and then move on. My most wanted has been in the game since Brawl.

I swear, no matter what happens with Smash, returning to the game and selecting Lucas just makes me feel like I'm coming home after a long time away, and as corny as this sounds, I hope everyone at some point has a character like that. I'm glad my obscure JRPG region-locked character is here to stay, and I feel very fortunate he was able to get into Brawl in the first place.

Does anyone else have their most wanted and are just here for the wild ride? Perhaps that character was Sephiroth for many people.
I got Steve, Geno's dead...
All I have left are Porky and Crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom