• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think what will be interesting is if anybody else can back up what that text post, with Chun-Li and Tales, says.

For now it’s basically nothing but getting lucky. But if that post were considered/seen around when it was initially posted, it would have been laughed out of the room.

Curious that it doesn’t mention Banjo, Byleth, Terry, and Min Min. At least I don’t think it did?

Actually, I think I’m looking at this all wrong. It wasn’t about DLC, but characters considered during base game. Referring to Sephiroth as “disappeared” as well as Steve and Chun-Li, it really seems as though, perhaps, each was considered, and for base, pushed aside.

But if they pushed aside...to be used later...that makes things very interesting.

I wouldn’t go too deep into this, but it’s definitely interesting.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Sephiroth didn't strut into Smash wearing tight-high boots and leather pants with no shirt on for people to keep using "too sexy" as a gatekeeping tool.
Not to get political , but there is a difference between a male power fantasy and objectification

now, you can find Seph sexy, I sure as hell do, but he’s never in this game or in his game, was meant to be purposely oggled at not only the presumably straight male players, but even to the female players oddly enough

Yeah, he’s shirtless, but he’s not design to be “look on how sexy I’am”
it’s about “I’m going to **** you up” “look how macho and masculine I’am”

Something like Fight Club

I understand that things are kinda different in Japan when it comes to topics like this, and I know that, unlike America, Japan dose sometime purposely designed there male characters to be bait for girls

(Ace Attorney and later Final Fantasy games comes to mind)

But they are always desgn by there target audience in mind, which are males

So you are never going to see Seph purposely popping out his crotch and man tittes like what Mai, Bayonetta or even Morgan dose in there games

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Not to get political , but there is a difference between a male power fantasy and objectification

now, you can find Seph sexy, I sure as hell do, but he’s never in this game or in his game, was meant to be purposely oggled at not only the presumably straight male players, but even to the female players oddly enough

Yeah, he’s shirtless, but he’s not design to be “look on how sexy I’am”
it’s about “I’m going to **** you up” “look how macho and masculine I’am”

Something like Fight Club

I understand that things are kinda different in Japan when it comes to topics like this, and I know that, unlike America, Japan dose sometime purposely designed there male characters to be bait for girls

(Ace Attorney and later Final Fantasy games comes to mind)

But they are always desgn by there target audience in mind, which are males

So you are never going to see Seph purposely popping out his crotch and man tittes like what Mai, Bayonetta or even Morgan dose in there games
tl;dr I'm allowed to slobber over half naked characters, you are not

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think what will be interesting is if anybody else can back up what that text post, with Chun-Li and Tales, says.

For now it’s basically nothing but getting lucky. But if that post were considered/seen around when it was initially posted, it would have been laughed out of the room.

Curious that it doesn’t mention Banjo, Byleth, Terry, and Min Min. At least I don’t think it did?

Actually, I think I’m looking at this all wrong. It wasn’t about DLC, but characters considered during base game. Referring to Sephiroth as “disappeared” as well as Steve and Chun-Li, it really seems as though, perhaps, each was considered, and for base, pushed aside.

But if they pushed aside...to be used later...that makes things very interesting.

I wouldn’t go too deep into this, but it’s definitely interesting.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. It seems to state that Hero was intended for base game (matching up with other accounts we've seen) and lists Steve and Sephiroth (who we now have some reason to believe were negotiated early on).

So the only missing links are Chun-Li (who apparently "got traded for Ken") and a Tales character. Assuming any of this is true, of course.

EDIT: Something interesting - the Namco costumes didn't start coming until Volume 2, making them the only "veteran" guest company to not get ANY costumes in the first wave. Even Konami got one.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Alright how about a game?

Let's say there is a third fighters pass just for the sake of filling up the spaces so you only get three fighters and 1 individual fighter who doesn't have the other stuff like a stage, music or spirit board.

Which characters would you pick? What stage would they come with? What music tracks would they come with? To make it simple, just pick your top 5 favourite music tracks for each pass. If it's too hard for you to think of characters because there are still 3 more slots left in the Fighters Pass 2, then just imagine Rayman, Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Guy taking those slots.

Fighter Pass 12:
Fighter #82: Crash Bandicoot​
Stage: N. Sanity Beach​
Music:​
1. Crash Bandicoot intro medley​
2. Boulders​
3. Turtle Woods​
4. The Eel Deal​
5. Toad Village​

Fighter Pass 13:
Fighter #83: Axel Stone​
Stage: Streets Stage​
1. Go Straight​
2. Dreamer​
3. Under Logic​
4, Slow Moon​
5, Never Return Alive​

Fighter Pass 14:
Fighter #84: Sgt. Cortez​
Stage: Space Station​
1. TimeSplitters 2 Main Theme​
2. Space Station​
3. Ice Station​
4. Scrapyard​
5. Nightclub​

Individual character: Geno
Fighter Pass 12:
Fighter #82: Chun-Li
Stage: Shopping District, Taiping Road
Music:
1. Chun-Li's Theme (New Remix)
2. Juri's Theme
3. Akuma's Theme
4. C. Viper's Theme
5. Sakura's Theme

Fighter Pass 13:
Fighter #83: Phoenix Wright
Stage: Courtroom
Music:
1. Pursuit: Cornered
2. Godot Theme
3. Court Begins
4. Athena Cykes Theme
5. Objection Theme

Fighter Pass 14:
Fighter #84: Lloyd Irving
Stage: Tower of Salvation
Music:
1. The Land of Sylvarant
2. Full Force
3. A Formidable Foe Stands in the Way
4. The Capital with a Beautiful Lake and the Holy Sword
5. Velvet's Theme

Individual character: Dixie Kong

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It's interesting, at least. They talk about Hero, Steve and Sephiroth, all of which ended up coming afterwards - and who we have a pretty good idea were held back for various reasons.

What's worthy of note is that they also mention Tales - specifically Symphonia and Vesperia. Could be indication that the Lloyd Mii is coming back and Yuri will be playable. Or the opposite. Or maybe they'll both be Miis, I dunno.
I hope is Yuri is a mii, they keep his purple hair Mejestic
I’d like to preface this with the fact that I’m quite skeptical of text “leaks” even though this may not be one...but being honest?

If we get Chun-Li and Lloyd Irving as two fo the final three? I am absolutely fine with this. I may not get Crash or Dante but I’m super down for Chun-Li and Lloyd.
replace them with Ameterasu and Yuri and you got who id be good with

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The Chun-Li/Tales theory is pretty interesting. I could see it happening.

I can definitely buy the idea Chun-Li was swapped out with Ken for whatever reason, most likely time constraints. It should be noted that unlike Final Fantasy, Street Fighter has a lot of representation (Even if it is pretty SF2 centric). Not as sure on her as DLC.

I could also see Steve getting a working model, only to be scrapped after Sakurai found the mechanics he had envisioned to be too complex (For the time being, at least). I mean, it's just six unbending rectangles with simple, pixelated textures. That's far and away the easiest part of designing the guy.

The Tales protagonist note interests me. Two at once? Maybe they were still considering who they'd add between the two, or perhaps Nintendo thought that Bamco had a big enough chunk of the base game sales already. Or maybe they were waiting to see how well Berseria did, in case Velvet might be a profitable route for DLC. I've been leaning towards a Tales rep recently, so this gives me something to mess around with.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm personnally not a huge fan of Chun-li, not because I hate the character, but because I would have rather see another fighting game franchise like Tekken, Soul calibur or Guilty gear, or even Mortal kombat instead of a third Street fighter character. That being said, I think Chun-li would make sense. If she's in, something that I would like is her to bring more modern Street fighter stuff, like a Street fighter 4 or 5 stages, some SF 3-5 music and spirits for more recent characters too. I think that would be interesting. People have said in ths thread that "Street fighter already have a lot of representation" and while that is true, it's only content from the first 2 game if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
(Chun-Li) Takashi Nishiyama created Ryu, Ken and Terry. I think there won't be a 4th rep.

D

Deleted member

Scoliosis Jones put it best, but...

:ultminmin releases
Everyone: "The pass is going to be cheaper, so expect a ton of first parties, and cheaper third parties!"
:ultsteve: releases
Everyone: "That's it! The budget is blown out! Expect cheaper first and third parties!"
:ultsephiroth: releases
Everyone: "Oh! We got another Final Fantasy VII representative! Chun Li and Eggman have an amazing chance!"

When will we learn?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
View attachment 296225
And here I was thinking voice theory was based on something more concrete like in FP1. My whole life is a lie!
iirc that was a mockup someone made for the theory to help show the slots that’d be left, implying we could get a bonus or something, but of course it ended up being wrong.

(Chun-Li) Takashi Nishiyama created Ryu, Ken and Terry. I think there won't be a 4th rep.
Terry is from a different series. The series creator may be the same, but I don’t see what that has to do with it, especially in a new round of DLC.

I mean, I don’t know if another Street Fighter or Fatal Fury character is likely either, and I’m indifferent to them, but still.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Scoliosis Jones put it best, but...

:ultminmin releases
Everyone: "The pass is going to be cheaper, so expect a ton of first parties, and cheaper third parties!"
:ultsteve: releases
Everyone: "That's it! The budget is blown out! Expect cheaper first and third parties!"
:ultsephiroth: releases
Everyone: "Oh! We got another Final Fantasy VII representative! Chun Li and Eggman have an amazing chance!"

When will we learn?
Do you really think that we will ever learn?

The answer is no, no we won't.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
If I be honest, I'm not really seeing Lloyd anymore since his Mii costume is the very last one to left behind out of all Bamco costumes.
I think that makes him way too predictable. I understand that Gil came with Steve because of his blue sword, but that wasn't really a thing they absolutely have to do this kind of stuff you know, maybe Heihachi with Min Min was, but Gil, I don't think so. That means, they purposely left Lloyd's costume behind. Which in my eyes, not a good sign.
I was 50/50 on Tales rep taking one of DLC spots and I was leaning towards Lloyd despite my personal likes Yuri, since he's more recognizable worldwide and he has Demon Fang, the most iconic Tales move, unlike Yuri.
But now after Sephiroth, I don't think Yuri is coming too. This is purely from aesthetic point of view, but two katana fighters in one Pass isn't sit right with me.
So I'm on the train of no Tales rep as for now. Lloyd will be back as his Sm4sh Mii costume, and maybe Yuri costume if we're lucky.
Same reason, I'm now iffy on Ryu Hayabusa too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I could've sworn there were actual placeholders at launch but now I wonder if I hallucinated the whole thing...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
For anyone who doesn't wanna click a 4chan link, here's the image

View attachment 296173

Got 3/6, and it even pulled from the conundrum that Sakurai had about an ARMs rep. Probably lucky guesses all around but hey, it's got more right than the dinky 5ch leak.
I don't believe leaks but...I'd be pretty pleased with that pass.

Would be more believable if they were in the right order.
Actually, it'd be more likely for someone with older insider information to NOT know the correct order. If they were going off, say, a list of licenses, or a look around the dev office.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If I be honest, I'm not really seeing Lloyd anymore since his Mii costume is the very last one to left behind out of all Bamco costumes.
I think that makes him way too predictable. I understand that Gil came with Steve because of his blue sword, but that wasn't really a thing they absolutely have to do this kind of stuff you know, maybe Heihachi with Min Min was, but Gil, I don't think so. That means, they purposely left Lloyd's costume behind. Which in my eyes, not a good sign.
I was 50/50 on Tales rep taking one of DLC spots and I was leaning towards Lloyd despite my personal likes Yuri, since he's more recognizable worldwide and he has Demon Fang, the most iconic Tales move, unlike Yuri.
But now after Sephiroth, I don't think Yuri is coming too. This is purely from aesthetic point of view, but two katana fighters in one Pass isn't sit right with me.
So I'm on the train of no Tales rep as for now. Lloyd will be back as his Sm4sh Mii costume, and maybe Yuri costume if we're lucky.
So my Velvet theory is right, got it:4pacman:

cothero

Smash Lord
More than 2 songs confirmed!
I'm quite surprised.
Sakurai is going to explain astrophysics equation when he will show Sephiroth final smash.

Although I would love it, I really don't think we will have Advent children One winged angel. It's not a video game music so it would be weird. I personally think we will have 5-7 music. The budget is probably way higher than what they had for Smash 4 dlc, so I think we will have more than two.
You were saying?...

Momentary

Smash Cadet
Im really hoping but also extremely doubting a Capcom Character in this pass (preferably Dante) I have the smallest glimmer of hope due to the lack of Monster Hunter Mii's but other (less than legal) sources is starting to make me have some doubts.

cothero

Smash Lord

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Alright how about a game?

Let's say there is a third fighters pass just for the sake of filling up the spaces so you only get three fighters and 1 individual fighter who doesn't have the other stuff like a stage, music or spirit board.

Which characters would you pick? What stage would they come with? What music tracks would they come with? To make it simple, just pick your top 5 favourite music tracks for each pass. If it's too hard for you to think of characters because there are still 3 more slots left in the Fighters Pass 2, then just imagine Rayman, Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Guy taking those slots.
Assuming Hayabusa is in Pass 2?

Fighter #82: Arthur [Ghosts 'N Goblins]
Stage: Demon Village

Fighter #83: Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
Stage: Stage 4 of Contra 3, complete with missile riding.

Fighter #84: Kunio/Riki {River City]
Stage: Either a shopping center or the rooftop of Crosstown High.

Individual character: Mii Mage

I don't feel like doing music. It's pretty self explanatory for those characters.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
OK what rumors are we looking at?

I see people talking about Chun-Li and Lloyd, and then other people talking about Ryu, Rayman, and the Doom Slayer.
Ryu/Rayman/Doomguy leak
So anyway, 7NATOR 7NATOR posted this earlier but it didn't get any eyes on it.

For anyone who doesn't wanna click a 4chan link, here's the image

View attachment 296173

Got 3/6, and it even pulled from the conundrum that Sakurai had about an ARMs rep. Probably lucky guesses all around but hey, it's got more right than the dinky 5ch leak.
The Chun-Li/Tales leak
This doesn't really help for our future speculations but people dug up this old post so I might just share it.
Post on 5chan, 19th of December 2018, several days after the release of Ultimate and the reveal of Joker.
http://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1545137368/28

I actually talked about this post before which was coincidentally lining up with other old days rumor about SMRPG.

The post was translated by some anon on 4chan back in the day, and someone gave me a link to it but it's dead now so I translated.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/443463387/#q443463387

28 名無しさん必死だな 2018/12/19(水) 12:40:55.60 ID:MeJl2hmi0

Pretty sure it was Erdrick that got the SE slot.
I heard that they were going to announce Castlevania as a third party retro for overseas and Dragon Quest as also a third party retro for Japan, so I was quite surprised when the DQ rep disappeared completely from the actual game we got.

From what I've heard, it's supposed to have been developed from the beginning, so I don't know if it's part of the DLC pack or not.
I don't know if they couldn't get it done in time, so they sent it to the later updates, but when it was released, there were a few other third parties missing, so maybe they all got put on hold or cancelled, including Erdrick.
I'm pretty sure they were developing Erdrick, and the default guy(?) from Minecraft was there too, with his actual working model, as one of the thrid party reps. But he's gone too idk.
I don't know, Chun-Li was there, but somehow replaced with Ken. Bamco had both Symphonia and Vesperia protagonists in the planning stages, but they're not here as well.

So I don't know if Erdrick will be a paid DLC or a free bonus update, but it's true that it was being developed.
It seems that Enix was really shocked when Cloud made himself in Smash, so they became very cooperative and tried their best to promote their stuff.
They had already decided to release DQ11S at that time, so I guess they were hoping that Smash to bring them some newcomers of overseas into the DQ franchise.

Sora was also a candidate, but it was rejected because they felt that not having any Disney characters wouldn't be right as the KH representative.
There was also Sephiroth and the Mii character from Super Mario RPG, but Sephiroth ended up conceding the spot to DQ, and the Mii one was in a very sensitive position, so it was dropped.
I've heard that there are a lot of requests from his fans, but all they say is to put him into Smash, and only few requests for a new game or a remake of his game. So what they told me is that developers are confusing about this whole Smash fever situation.
Especially from the third party side, they don't want their characters to be established as "Smash" characters, and the occasional requests for a new game are always associated with Smash representation. This kind of attitude from fans are making the devs unsure of their real intentions, that's what I've heard.
They also said that, probably it's only the loudest and most dedicated Smash fans being so on the internet, so it's hard to tell if thier real demographic really want to revive the series or not. They just couldn't take a chance on developing a whole new game by having Smash come in first.
I've been hearing this kind of talk from here and there recently, so I'm wondering just how big of an influence Smash has become.

http://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1545137368/28

28 名無しさん必死だな 2018/12/19(水) 12:40:55.60 ID:MeJl2hmi0

スクエニ枠はたしかにロトだったぞ
海外向けサードレトロで悪魔城、日本向けサードレトロでドラクエっていう発表の方向で進んでるって聞いてたから、ドラクエいつのまにかいなくなってて草生えたの覚えてるわ

俺が聞いた話だと最初から開発されたはずだから、DLCパックってのに含まれてるかどうかはしらん
間に合わなくてアプデに回されたのかしらんが、発売したときには他にも何体かサード抜けてたし、もしかしたらロトも含めて全員お蔵入りになったのかもな
でもたしかにロトは作られてたし、他にも他社はなんかマイクラのデフォルトのやつ?もちゃんと動いてたはずだけどいないな
そういえばチュンリーもいつのまにかケンになってるし、バンナムも企画段階でシンフォニアとヴェスペリアのやつ両方捻じ込んでたのにいないし、ようわからんわ

だからまあロトが有料DLCか無料アプデかでくるかどうかはしらんが、開発されてたってのは本当だぞ
なんかエニックス側がクラウドに先越されたのがけっこう衝撃だったみたいで、めちゃくちゃ協力的になってアピール必死だったみたいよ
DQ11Sを出すことも決まってたし、海外で人気のスマブラから流れてくれればってのもあったんだろうけどな

ソラも候補だったけど、やっぱディズニーキャラ出さないのはKH的にどうなのってことになってボツになった
あとはセフィロスとスーパーマリオRPGのMiiになってたやつがいたけど、セフィロスはまあ結局ドラクエ枠に譲る感じになって、Miiの方はなんかすげー微妙な立ち位置だったから見送りになった
なんかファンからの要望がそれなりにあるらしいんだけど、スマブラに出せってのばっかで、新作作れとかリメイクしろとかの要望がほとんど聞こえてこないから、開発元が困惑してるってパターン多いって聞いた
特にサード的にはスマブラのキャラってことで定着されるのが困るってことらしくて、たまにある新作欲しいとかもスマブラと関連付けられてて、スマブラありきの要望が増えてるから真意が分からなくなってるっぽい
声のでかい熱心なスマブラ厨がネットで言ってるだけって状況らしいから、本当にシリーズの復活が望まれてるのか微妙すぎて、先にスマブラ参戦させて合わせて新作なんて博打は打てないって話を聞いた
そういう感じの話をいろんなところから聞くようになったから、どんだけスマブラの影響大きくなってんだよって思うわ

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the source for the SMRPG rumor. but I think that was around the time frame of Smash Ballot days. I'm not sure it was before or after Sakurai's Famitsu column that mentioned Geno. If that was from Futaba, which I think probably was, I really don't know how to find it anymore. So basically, treat this also as the same as other 4chan/5chan text leaks. ;)

7NATOR

Smash Master
Wasnt this Chun Li and Steve info also said by that xenother guy?
(1) Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior | Page 398 | Smashboards

(1) [SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads. | Page 77 | Smashboards

Here's his Statements about Chun-Li, And I do remember something about Steve too, I have to find that one

Actually did we ever decide on if music theory is part of the code or just based on a perfect rectangle? I'm still confused on that one.
It's just based of the CSS, Not based on any hard data in the game. I think the main reason it's Looked at is because the FP1 Characters happen to complete Perfect Square

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Ryu also uses Nunchucks and other weapons. I think his Ninja status differentiates him from Sephiroth pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom