• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
square owns everything with FF 7 except for some stuff with music. chrono is legally spaced across so many companies and its a logistical nightmare. maximillain went through some of it on stream. character is so mucha a nightmare he doesnt even appear in chrono trigger sequels visually, he is only indirectly referenced.

rereleasing games is not the same as a new appearance. rereleases dont take nearly as much negociation as a new appearence. the legal process in renewing a distribution and licensing agreement vs crafting a new one alone is significantly different.
No, Nomura owns the game's artwork. Max isn't a good source because as much as I like his content, even have his latest Power Rangers video up as we speak, he's not a source, especially when he says **** like "Mortal Kombat's banned in Japan". It sounds like an excuse made to justify why the IP hasn't gotten anything new as the actual reason, surprisingly low sales, isn't seen as a good answer

Dinoman96

Smash Master
As someone who never played FF7...do they actually use the R word in the game's script as seen in ShinyLegendary's pic above? Or is that juse some fan translation?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Here you go.
To be fair, that's only in the localization, the line is completely different in the original Japanese version. (Something the lines of "Don't say such things!" after Barrett muses he might not get to see Marlene again.)

So in short, don't blame Tifa, blame the translator.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
As someone who never played FF7...do they actually use the R word in the game's script as seen in ShinyLegendary's pic above? Or is that juse some fan translation?
No that's in the game. 1997 was a very different time, though it's weird that they never got rid of it in rereleases. The Switch version had to change the buttons in text anyway so it's especially odd. It's completely absent in the remake however

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
No that's in the game. 1997 was a very different time, though it's weird that they never got rid of it in rereleases. The Switch version had to change the buttons in text anyway so it's especially odd. It's completely absent in the remake however
The Switch rerelease has it? That's... actually surprising, I would imagine they'd change that, haha. I understand the translators not thinking much of it at the time, though, as you said.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With Square its always an odd guessing game at the why of certain decisions of theirs. Its a company that can tap into their fanbases wants with a lot of great titles but at the same believing Bravely Default would not sell in the West (leading to Nintendo publishing it here) or being surprised that North American fans don't like the art in Steam/Mobile ports of old games.

With Chrono Trigger, the general lack of activity in the game could be rooted in a whole number of things, legal issues included.

FF7 is definitely a product of its time, especially in the translation department. Religious references were mostly scrubbed and a bunch of dialogue was changed, to the point of some bits of dialogue being straight removed, if I'm remembering correctly. The one moment I remember specifically being talked about is a time when Tifa punches a lady, where it seems mostly nonsensical in the English version, but actually had context in Japanese.

It's one game where I really do wish some people would go back and retranslate the game so it would have less of the western 90's video game treatment.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Whats the best way to play FF7? The original seems good but looks like megablocks. And the remake is only half the game and is apparently a sequel.
Considering the gameplay is vastly different...

I'd actually say to play both.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The blowback against Geno is just simply just the fact that he has a loud and kinda annoying fanbase inspite of just being a one-off party member from a two decade year old spinoff game.

Like you look at K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo-Kazooie and they still had merit outside of just being requested. The former two are (or at least, were, in K. Rool's case) reoccuring villains in their respective long running franchise and BK were the main protagonists of their own line of games that used be a successful Nintendo co-owned franchise. Obviously they needed fan demand to give them that final push to be in Smash, but their inclusions still felt natural.

Objectively speaking, Geno isn't any more significant (he's probably even less important, even) than characters like Waluigi, Midna, Ashley, Krystal, Skull Kid, etc and the most they can get are assist trophies. So naturally, yeah, people are gonna get annoyed at other people constantly yammering about wanting this really minor character in Smash.
That's probably the reason for some. Characters like Ridley and K. Rool had a ton of detractors too though, and when you dug deep enough usually you'd find out that it's just because people get tired of hearing about characters that they don't personally care about, which is fair enough in itself, but never a good reason to make a big stink out of things. Even in this thread you can see it, the notion that characters need to deserve to be in Smash is always shot down, but the general opinion on Geno is divisive at best, so I don't buy that it's entirely because he's relatively obscure.

I think it's mostly because of his fanbase, and that alone. I can kinda understand that, because there's a lot of negative baggage that comes with these big and very active fanbases, regardless of the character they support they always attract some crazy people. I personally still like the Geno fanbase a lot though, but of course that's because I can draw a lot of parallels to the Ridley fanbase, which gave me by far the best time I've had with the Smash community. Geno's fanbase is the last character fanbase like that, so I do have a soft spot for them, going into their thread is like a portal back to 2007 / 2013, but if you've never cared for that kind of fanbase I can see why it can be offputting.

Last edited:

LemonBoy65

Smash Rookie
I've come back from the grave to discuss good ol' Sephi.

I really hope we get a few Mii costumes. Only two being added in would make the internet go haywire. Just gimme some FF7 costumes (and maybe 2B or Lara or whoever else SE owns).

As for Crono, I'm gonna wait and see what happens. Remember when everyone thought Hero couldn't make it in because of all the legal gray area? I doubt Crono will be in, but I'm staying neutral.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Whats the best way to play FF7? The original seems good but looks like megablocks. And the remake is only half the game and is apparently a sequel.
OG FF7 is the best way to get the pure experience.
I would also recommend checking out Crisis Core and Dissidia if you want to know exactly where Sephiroth's general moves originate from.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Between this presentation and the imminent update for Dota 2, this will be a fun night for me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The original game is still great despite the obviously dated graphics. The Materia system lets you basically do whatever the hell you want with all the combinations and stuff, though if you don't want to go through the gameplay and instead focus on the great story that still holds up, rereleases, including the Switch release, allow you to just blaze through the game and enjoy seeing how the characters react to everything. I can't speak for Remake as a whole but it kinda needs you to have experienced 7 and other parts of the 7 universe like Crisis Core, the prequel, and Advent Children, the movie that takes place after the game and popularized 'Cloud is just a whiny emo'

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If Geno gets the mii costume and it's a deluxe edition I'll be happy with that. I think it's the best Geno will get at this point.

I'm not happy that Tifa is out of the running now, but I do hope she gets the mii costume and looks good, it's just not as good of a fit unless they'd use low poly versions, but I guess it's a compromise.

Actually really curious about the mii costume section possibly more than how seph plays. Still wanna see though, and hoping his attacks aren't too slow.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Something something different era. What was once used to say that something is stupid is now used as an insult against a certain category of disabled people, language changed just like the way we use certain word now.

It's a shame but eh...what can you do?

I.D.

Smash Lord
square owns everything with FF 7 except for some stuff with music. chrono is legally spaced across so many companies and its a logistical nightmare. maximillain went through some of it on stream. character is so mucha a nightmare he doesnt even appear in chrono trigger sequels visually, he is only indirectly referenced.

rereleasing games is not the same as a new appearance. rereleases dont take nearly as much negociation as a new appearence. the legal process in renewing a distribution and licensing agreement vs crafting a new one alone is significantly different.
Crono does appear in Chrono Cross visually. I've already made a huge post on what a bunch of nonsense it is to claim that the Chrono IP's problem is a legal one because of Shueisha of all things but whatever, here is yet another one to the pile

astral chain shueisha.jpg

Maybe the people who insist on spreading this could try to present a single shred of evidence to support their claims instead of just repeating "dude trust me bro" over and over because this is honestly pretty irritating

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Both. The Remake kinda requires you to play the original to understand the changes it makes to it's plot. And there are some scenes that won't make sense if you haven't played the original, seen Advent Children or played Crisis Core.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
It was a different time, you really wouldn't raise an eyebrow generally using it in casual conversation through at least the mid-late 2000s.
I was born around this time, and I never liked this reason, I never liked that word as a kid back then

probably because I’am mentally challenged

And while I’m glad people finally coming to there senses, I would make the argument you made that I wasn’t OK back then either

So, no? it’s not just “ language change“

its that people never cared about the disable, and it’s was “cool” because “edginess and not having sympathy” was the rage those day

ie Newsground and South Park

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
The Remake isn't an actual remake. It's just yet another one of Square's "haha the title is actually a dumb play on words GOTCHA". Just play the original.

D

Deleted member

The Remake isn't an actual remake. It's just yet another one of Square's "haha the title is actually a dumb play on words GOTCHA". Just play the original.
If it isn't a remake, what is it?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Just an hour away and Nintendo of America doesn't even have a live stream set up yet. Japan and the UK do but not NA. This happens every time and its strange. Why do they do this?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Something something different era. What was once used to say that something is stupid is now used as an insult against a certain category of disabled people, language changed just like the way we use certain word now.

It's a shame but eh...what can you do?
I mean, the R word used to be a term used specifically for mental disabilities, the people started using it as an insult. Its considered a slur today because it was once a world used specifically for the mentally disabled.

It's like how people try to use the word "autistic" as a synonym for "stupid" today.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Considering the gameplay is vastly different...

I'd actually say to play both.
OG FF7 is the best way to get the pure experience.
I would also recommend checking out Crisis Core and Dissidia if you want to know exactly where Sephiroth's general moves originate from.
The original game is still great despite the obviously dated graphics. The Materia system lets you basically do whatever the hell you want with all the combinations and stuff, though if you don't want to go through the gameplay and instead focus on the great story that still holds up, rereleases, including the Switch release, allow you to just blaze through the game and enjoy seeing how the characters react to everything. I can't speak for Remake as a whole but it kinda needs you to have experienced 7 and other parts of the 7 universe like Crisis Core, the prequel, and Advent Children, the movie that takes place after the game and popularized 'Cloud is just a whiny emo'
As Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei said, probably both, since they're practically two different games.
Both. The Remake kinda requires you to play the original to understand the changes it makes to it's plot. And there are some scenes that won't make sense if you haven't played the original, seen Advent Children or played Crisis Core.
Thanks guys. I’ll start with the OG, may not have great graphics; but I’m not that big a snob. If I like it I’ll watch advent children and check out the others, then finish it off with the “Remake.”

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I was born around this time, and I never liked this reason, I never liked it as a kid back then

And while I’m glad people finally coming to there senses, I would make the argument you made that I wasn’t OK back then either

So, no? it’s not just “ language change“

its that people never cared about the disable, and it’s was “cool” because “edge and not having sympathy” was the rage these day

ie Newsground and South Park
That's totally fair, FF7's also got a rather dated depiction of LGBT characters which again, the remake handles significantly better and the R slur is a part you may not even end up seeing in game as it's only used during the infamous stairs scene iirc. It's just a question of if you're willing to put up with it with the knowledge of it being normalized then or not and again, not being fine with it at all is perfectly fine.

I.D.

Smash Lord
So, it is kind of a sequel? How does that work?
Hard to get into that without spoiling stuff but let's just say you probably won't understand half of what's happening during the final chapters of the game if you haven't played the original.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So, it is kind of a sequel? How does that work?
Okay so basically it starts out looking like a normal remake but then Sephiroth %$#@s @#$% up and then the Time Jannies start crawling out of the woodwork to make sure everything stays on track but then you kill the Time Jannies and history gets rewritten or some %$#@ also Zack is alive again I don't know I haven't played the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom