• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Smash Cadet
Sephiroth is the closest thing to a DMC character we are getting I feel so I'm happy with him.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Sephiroth still doesn't feel real. I'm pretty sure even Pirahna Plant, Sans, and Steve had sunk in by this point. I don't even care about FF7, why am i so invested in this character.
Honestly, Steve hasn’t even sunk in yet for me. Sometimes I just look at the roster and see my favorite childhood character in my favorite childhood series. Its almost surreal.

D

Deleted member

On PreMiium things, wouldn't Creeper and Pig count since they technically cover the entire Mii?

I'll give Bomberman credit since the color is changeable and Vault Boy is... Vault Boy.
Vault Boy and Bomberman did not come with songs, but honestly, there are premium as the other two IMO.
Sorta? They cover the whole Mii, but I don't think pigs and Creepers stand up in in Minecraft.
My definition of Premium mii is if I see the costume as the actual character instead of a mii cosplaying. So I count Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy, and Bomberman.
I don’t count Creeper or Pig as they have entirely different proportions than they do in minecraft.
Hold up everyone. If Mii costumes that just cover the entire character count as PreMiiums, then does the Black Knight and Yiga Clan count as PreMiiums?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well I've just played SH1-3 to be fair. Also 4 but my save file got corrupted.

In SH1 and 3
the town doesn't really work like SH2. SH1 and SH3 have, to put it in a way, two versions of the town: the regular and foggy Silent Hill, and the "otherworld" version, which might have some references to the protagonist's psyche, but it doesn't reach the level of symbolism of Silent Hill 2

Though that doesn't mean 1 and 3 lack symbolism, it's just that symbolisms in SH2 are always tied to James.

A SH stage should be the town of Silent Hill. I can see the fog working as a stage hazard lol
Ah OK. I thought the "otherworld" was in Silent Hill 2 as well. lol
That does make things interesting since it seems like the most iconic monster designs are from Silent Hill 2, but the most iconic world mechanics are from the other games.

Yeah, the town of Silent Hill would probably make the most sense as the stage regardless of which game you're basing it off of. Well...except for The Room, but that one's too different to use as the setting for the first stage anyway.

This whole mii costume debate has got me thinking. How do you feel about mii costumes instead of regular characters? Do you see them as just a fancy reference, or as something more like an actual fighter?
It probably depends on a lot of factors. I've seen people genuinely refer to the Sans costume as an actual fighter, but I'm not sure any of the others got this treatment, and it certainly wouldn't be given to any of the ones that just stick a normal hat or wig on a Mii.

EDIT: It might have just been the surprise of Sans and his music combined with his popularity.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Then this breaks the rule of "PreMiium". I believe you can get those two Mii Costumes naturally.

Premium usually means an extra benefit, and Sans and Cuphead are the only ones. They are the only ones to have a song attached to them.

So in my opinion, Sans and Cuphead are the only PreMiiums.
Thats fine, my definition of “Premiium” is way different than everyone elses anyways. I see the premium less as “How much content do they come with” and more as “How well is the quality of design.”
Your interpretation makes plenty of sense.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly, for me yeah. They look like the characters so why not?
Though less so Black Knight since his height is so far off.
It's mostly that the Miis feel less like a costume and more like the actual character. The Black Knight costume doesn't feel like the Black Knight because the proportions are off. Same with the Yiga Clan; That, and the fact that they're not a singular character so much as a collective of people.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think for some the big test for a deluxe Mii Costume is that if you were familiar with the character's franchise but not with the roster of Ultimate, and you saw them out of context, could you reasonably mistake them as an actual fighter?

Vault Boy, Bomberman, Sans, & Cuphead feel like they would likely pass that. Others less so.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So... I asked Mr. Roboto (my math stuffs) how long the non-sephiroth segments might be (excluding amiibo and mii costume segments), and I got three answers:

• 4 Minutes, 34 Seconds
  • 4 Minutes, 1 Second
  • 3 Minutes, 28 Seconds

So, the math is saying ~4 minutes for non-Sephiroth stuffs. Again, this is just math, so this isn't serious, and is just meant to be fun lol.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't know, even if Geno's Mii costume doesn't come back today (whether regular or premium), I still don't know if I see Geno happening or if we will really see one company get 2 fighter packs in one pass, or 3 packs between 2. Not going to say it's impossible obviously, but it's not exactly something I'd bet on either.

It's for this reason I have a harder time seeing Master Chief being a fighter pack after Steve got in, and Master Chief is a MW of mine so believe me when I say I don't like saying/thinking this.

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't think that Sephiroth is that complex.
Sakurai regularily spends 10-20 minutes (edited estimate) going over a character's moveset, even in cases where they aren't - that - complex (Terry, Byleth).

There's a significant segment of people who are interested in that alone (not just competitive players and those who lean towards competitive like me, but also people who are simply interested in the new character and how (s)he'll fight in general). For Sakurai that serves to highlight a lot of stuff: an attack's application, where it comes from (whether a move is original or from the home games etc.) and so on.

The stage will take another 5-10 minutes on its own, etc.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I hope we get the monster hunter mii's soon. I just want to get my expectations crushed as soon as possible.
I hope for a monster hunter mii too...
... a mii based off of MH Rise's hunter design to be precise, revealed alongside the Hunter as a playable fighter of course

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly, I can;t help but find all the comments about "HOW ESLE WILL SAKURAI FILL UP ALL THESE MINUTES!?" since it reminds me of how the November 2018 direct went. People were thinking we'd get alot of cool stuff due to the fact the direct was 40 minutes (and because of the Grinch leak, but that's a whole other can of worms...), yet the direct ended up spending 80% of those 40 minutes going over the spirit mode and basic ****ing crap like brightness settings lol.

So yeah, don't underestimate Sakurai's ability to use up time talking about weird/basic stuff.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The thing that's throwing me off about the Mii Costume situation is that I can entirely buy not getting any more Square costumes than the Chocobo Hat and Geno outfit, but not getting anything else even from other third parties or Nintendo itself? That's hard to imagine.

Honestly, I can;t help but find all the comments about "HOW ESLE WILL SAKURAI FILL UP ALL THESE MINUTES!?" since it reminds me of how the November 2018 direct went. People were thinking we'd get alot of cool stuff due to the fact the direct was 45 minutes (and because of the Grinch leak, but that's a whole other can of worms...), yet the direct ended up spending 80% of those 40 minutes going over the spirit mode and basic ****ing crap like brightness settings lol.

So yeah, don't underestimate Sakurai's ability to use up time talking about weird/basic stuff.
I think the one that proves that even more is the Terry presentation. "Well there's no way Sakurai could spend that much time on Terry Bogard and SNK."

As it turns out, Sakurai took that as a challenge.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The thing that's throwing me off about the Mii Costume situation is that I can entirely buy not getting any more Square costumes than the Chocobo Hat and Geno outfit, but not getting anything else even from other third parties or Nintendo itself? That's hard to imagine.
I mean... when Cloud came out in Smash 4, we only got those specific outfits, and when Hero came we only got Dragon Quest stuff.

So it's plausible that the wave will only have SE stuff.

Whether it'll be more than Geno and Chocobo remains to be seen.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
This whole mii costume debate has got me thinking. How do you feel about mii costumes instead of regular characters? Do you see them as just a fancy reference, or as something more like an actual fighter?
It really depends on how well the proportions line up to make a Deluxe Mii costume look convincing. I see Sans in a similar vein as Daisy, Richter or any other Echo Fighter. I would see a Deluxe Mii costume for Geno in a similar light; he would work really well as such. Meanwhile, costumes that are just that - costumes, typically don't carry quite as much appeal for me in most cases. Besides the Ancient Armor, that looks sick, I love it.

All in all, I totally get feeling shafted by the inclusion of a certain Mii Costume, but oftentimes they are really nice, and more cosmetics for the resident build-a-bear fighter is hardly a bad thing.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So far SE characters have only come with Mii Costumes from other SE characters. That might be because of SE themselves.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean... when Cloud came out in Smash 4, we only got those specific outfits, and when Hero came we only got Dragon Quest stuff.

So it's plausible that the wave will only have SE stuff.

Whether it'll be more than Geno and Chocobo remains to be seen.
So far SE characters have only come with Mii Costumes from other SE characters. That might be because of SE themselves.
True, though given the patterns/habits that have been broken in this second fighter's pass, perhaps this presentation might do so as well?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I don't really expect anything in Sephiroth's presentation other than moveset details, talking about FF7, and mii costume reveals. I would honestly be surprised if more was revealed as 30 minutes do go by quickly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's mostly that the Miis feel less like a costume and more like the actual character. The Black Knight costume doesn't feel like the Black Knight because the proportions are off. Same with the Yiga Clan; That, and the fact that they're not a singular character so much as a collective of people.
I mean, yes, but what is the extra benefit?

You literally get a song for Sans and Cuphead. For Vault Boy, you don't get a song, just a costume. I mean it looks different, but I don't think it is as much as a song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom