• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean, yes, but what is the extra benefit?

You literally get a song for Sans and Cuphead. For Vault Boy, you don't get a song, just a costume. I mean it looks different, but I don't think it is as much as a song.
Basically to a lot of people there is no tangible benefit to Vault Boy or Bomberman (though the latter's color choices are unique) in comparison to Cuphead or Sans, and in that specific sense they are non Premium. However the visual accuracy with appearance and proportions puts them above the vast majority of Mii Costumes in many fan's eyes. Essentially I think its somewhat fair to say that many view Miis in three categories:

-Premium: Comes with a song and looks exactly like an actual fighter with appearance and proportions, as well as costing more (Sans, Cuphead)
-Deluxe: Does not come with a song, but looks exactly like an actual fighter in appearance and proportions (Vault Boy, Bomberman)
-Standard: Looks like a costume, specifically in the lack of resemblance in face and proportions, though some are better than others. (The rest)

I think everyone agrees the first two are not the same, but you've got an uphill battle to convince most that there's no difference at all between the latter two.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
As I said last night, I very much doubt there's going to be only one, and I outright disbelieve the notion that there's zero, so my best guess is that there's either going to be two or we're all reading way too much into this and it's a regular Mii pack.

Either way, this is gonna be one heck of a Mii segment.

D

Deleted member

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean I don't support harassment, but there have been a lot of Geno fans that have been quite toxic too.

To be fair, many character supporters are also toxic.
If there's any toxic Geno fans just ask the good Geno supporters (Which are more than likely the majority) to disown them. There, problem solved.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I know this discussion died out a page or two back but Silent Hill would make for a really Cool inclusion imo.
Music is literally godlike, stage would have an amazing aesthetic and the hazards could be great, maybe with an otherworld transition too. Character would presumably be PH, a super heavyweight whose gimmick is to swap Between the great knife and spear.

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
The real benefit to getting Sephiroth is we'll have a few months of the CSS being a perfect rectangle, before FP9 brutally takes it away from us.
But what about quickplay without random? What about squad strike? What about echo stacking?

Someone help I'm going too OCD over a CSS. Heeeeeeelpppp.

P.S. I've wanted pyramid head in for a while now despite never owning silent hill. He was iconic growing up.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I know this discussion died out a page or two back but Silent Hill would make for a really Cool inclusion imo.
Music is literally godlike, stage would have an amazing aesthetic and the hazards could be great, maybe with an otherworld transition too. Character would presumably be PH, a super heavyweight whose gimmick is to swap Between the great knife and spear.
Pyramid Head Kirby would make either for the most cursed of images or the most oddly fitting Kirby hat of all time.

cothero

Smash Lord
About new FF songs, i'm pretty sure we'll only get the original One Winged Angel from FFVII and One-Winged Angel from Advent Children. I'll be very surprised if there's more than two songs. J-E-N-O-V-A would be nice.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I hope Sephiroth doesn’t messed up with mii costume wave statistics. With FP1, the mean of costumes per wave was 5 and 4 splash screen (Smash X) per CP.

CP6 had 5 mii costumes (4 splash screen), while CP7 had 6 mii costumes (4 splash screen). Supposedly that CP9,10 and 11 have each 5 mii costumes (4 splash screen), CP8 should have 4 mii costumes and again, 4 splash screen to maintain the same mean values.

If Sephiroth comes with only 2 mii costumes (2 splash screen), 2 from the next 3 CPs (9,10,11) need to come with 6 mii costumes (and 5 splash screens) to compensate.

cothero

Smash Lord
I hope Sephiroth doesn’t messed up with mii costume wave statistics. With FP1, the mean of costumes per wave was 5 and 4 splash screen (Smash X) per CP.

CP6 had 5 mii costumes (4 splash screen), while CP7 had 6 mii costumes (4 splash screen). Supposedly that CP9,10 and 11 have each 5 mii costumes (4 splash screen), CP8 should have 4 mii costumes and again, 4 splash screen to maintain the same mean values.

If Sephiroth comes with only 2 mii costumes (2 splash screen), 2 from the next 3 CPs (9,10,11) need to come with 6 mii costumes (and 5 splash screens) to compensate.
They'll probably put like two Mii Costumes from Square and the rest from other companies.

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
I mean I don't support harassment, but there have been a lot of Geno fans that have been quite toxic too.

Yes, I get it, any group of fans that wants a particular character in Smash is inevitably going to have it's fair share of bad apples. But what I'm saying is that for some reason Geno and their supporters always seem to be the number one target of all mockery and insults from the Smash community. Every time a new character gets announced, you're guaranteed to stumble upon hundreds of memes "This new character = Good, Geno = Trash". Like, it happens so often that I can't just help but feel a little bit of empathy for the people who want Geno (at least the ones that aren't toxic about it).

MooMew64

Whatever ends up happening:

Please, please be respectful. Please do not make stupid jabs and pointless thread warfare. I may not want Geno personally, but that doesn't make him an objectively bad choice, and there are tons of people who would be super happy to see him have a chance to shine after so long. For their sake, I hope they get something cool, whatever it ends up being.

Also, as a Waluigi supporter, please do not make broad sweeping opinions about a fanbase. That crud gets old real fast.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The blowback against Geno is just simply just the fact that he has a loud and kinda annoying fanbase inspite of just being a one-off party member from a two decade year old spinoff game.

Like you look at K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo-Kazooie and they still had merit outside of just being requested. The former two are (or at least, were, in K. Rool's case) reoccuring villains in their respective long running franchise and BK were the main protagonists of their own line of games that used be a successful Nintendo co-owned franchise. Obviously they needed fan demand to give them that final push to be in Smash, but their inclusions still felt natural.

Objectively speaking, Geno isn't any more significant (he's probably even less important, even) than characters like Waluigi, Midna, Ashley, Krystal, Skull Kid, etc and the most they can get are assist trophies. So naturally, yeah, people are gonna get annoyed at other people constantly yammering about wanting this really minor character in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright, everyone.

Shakes away clouds of drama

Can we please move on from this Geno drama? We have a presentation to watch.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
If we're only getting 2 Mii Costumes then what could they do to pad out 35 minutes?
Sakurai is going to explain astrophysics equation when he will show Sephiroth final smash.

About new FF songs, i'm pretty sure we'll only get the original One Winged Angel from FFVII and One-Winged Angel from Advent Children. I'll be very surprised if there's more than two songs. J-E-N-O-V-A would be nice.
Although I would love it, I really don't think we will have Advent children One winged angel. It's not a video game music so it would be weird. I personally think we will have 5-7 music. The budget is probably way higher than what they had for Smash 4 dlc, so I think we will have more than two.

D

Deleted member

Honestly that hat's so good I'm curious as to how it'd work in game. Pyramid Head's been in stuff that's more kid friendly than Smash anyway so eh
Wait, what? Can anybody explain what she means please? I'm curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

MooMew64

Moving on from the previous topic, all I request is Tifa Lockhart.

Please, Sakurai, I would very much like to see Tifa Lockhart from the Japanese role-playing series Final Fantasy VII, which originally released on the PlayStation back in 1997 to critical and fan acclaim, and has recently been remade for the PlayStation 4 from the ground up.

Pretty please. :nifty:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Please, Sakurai, I would very much like to see Tifa Lockhart from the Japanese role-playing series Final Fantasy VII, which originally released on the PlayStation back in 1997 to critical and fan acclaim, and has recently been remade for the PlayStation 4 from the ground up.

Sakurai: "Sadly, Tifa Lockhart will not be joining the battle due to her ableism, please understand"

D

Deleted member

Sakurai: "Sadly, Tifa Lockhart will not be joining the battle due to her ableism, please understand"
I hate how I know about this.

S-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-simp

Don't take this seriously.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Wait if Chrono Trigger is a legal nightmare, how is it able to get rereleased at all and how is it worse than Square's most popular game of all time?
square owns everything with FF 7 except for some stuff with music. chrono is legally spaced across so many companies and its a logistical nightmare. maximillain went through some of it on stream. character is so mucha a nightmare he doesnt even appear in chrono trigger sequels visually, he is only indirectly referenced.

rereleasing games is not the same as a new appearance. rereleases dont take nearly as much negociation as a new appearence. the legal process in renewing a distribution and licensing agreement vs crafting a new one alone is significantly different.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Does anyone have a link to the presentation?
The North American one, to be precise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom