• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
This whole thing about Sephiroth coming with only one Mii Costume struck me as strange, so I decided to investigate. Turns out there's a way for him to come out with 3 Mii Costumes later today. Let me explain.

While it is true that Version Update messages are numbered in the website, right now we're assuming that the Version 9.0.1. and 9.0.2 "Coming soon" messages are between items 2104-2109, but that's not necessarily the case. In fact, it's possible that these two can be placed after the "Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members" message that's currently labeled as 2110. There's actual precedent for this:

Version 2.0.2. is labeled as item 2025, but Version 3.0.0. is labeled as 2016.

If what I'm saying is true, then Sephiroth would shadow drop today with 3 Mii Costumes or will be released at a later date with only 2 Mii Costumes.

Of course, maybe I'm completely wrong and he really is releasing today with just 1 Mii Costume, but I just couldn't see that happening, so I wanted to try and explore more possibilities.
That's actually a good observation, but the reason that would have happened is that Joker's batch of posts was already in the system before his release, which was only 2 weeks after version 2.0.2. For comparison, 9.0.2 released on November 11th, I really don't think they've had Sephiroth's Posts in the system for over a month.

Last edited:

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice
I mean I'm not a Geno supporter but if his costume doesn't show up during the presentation I'd also think he might be playable at some point. Or that his costume will return with another SE character, but that would probably mean we would get a third Pass.

I don't see Sakurai skipping Geno, when he already managed to get a costume for him in Smash 4 and added him as a Spirit in base game. If he's not going to be playable, and Pass 2 is the end of Ultimate in terms of new characters and all, he should appear today. If he doesn't show up, and assuming Square costumes only come with Square characters, that might be a good sign for a third Pass. Because I don't see a company double dipping in the same Pass.

I'd gladly accept this outcome.
i think if theres another square its crono not geno

Last edited:

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Based on the pass so far it seems like Pass 2 is significantly weighted more towards that "Nintendo chose the characters" thing that Sakurai talked about. I doubt we'd get a Banjo-Kazooie like character in this pass that's for the niche online fans, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if Geno or Waluigi showed up somewhere in there somehow.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The thing with Geno potentially missing is that we've kind of gone through this song and dance before. Heihachi's costume wasn't shown until Min Min despite Terry being much more fitting, especially with how SNK's actually gotten a crossover with Tekken. If Geno's missing for some reason, it may end up being the same situation
I can never really come into agreement with the Heihachi situation considering Min Min is also from a fighting game (and a 3D one at that, which Tekken is as well), so it's not exactly such a crazy idea to have him show up there. Not to mention lumping characters in with other characters from their genre isn't exactly a necessity or even a precedent - it only happened with Terry.

Geno's costume is a bit different. We haven't seen SE costumes released alongside anything other than SE content, even dating back to Smash 4. I have personally always accepted this as the norm, which is why I had been expecting another SE character in the first place. If Geno doesn't show up today, it would be very confusing if I was to maintain this currently still accurate theory. I don't think there's any logic to cutting his costume either, so it would call a lot of things into question. For what it's worth, we as a community have made a lot of false assumptions before so 'only one character per company in each pass' could still simply be another one of those. I don't know.

I really ****ing hope he shows up today though because I honestly just want this to be over with. I actually quite like Geno but please let us move on already.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can never really come into agreement with the Heihachi situation considering Min Min is also from a fighting game (and a 3D one at that, which Tekken is as well), so it's not exactly such a crazy idea to have him show up there. Not to mention lumping characters in with other characters from their genre isn't exactly a necessity or even a precedent - it only happened with Terry.

Geno's costume is a bit different. We haven't seen SE costumes released alongside anything other than SE content, even dating back to Smash 4. I have personally always accepted this as the norm, which is why I had been expecting another SE character in the first place. If Geno doesn't show up today, it would be very confusing if I was to maintain this currently still accurate theory. I don't think there's any logic to cutting his costume either, so it would call a lot of things into question.

I really ****ing hope he shows up today though because I honestly just want this to be over with. I actually quite like Geno but please let us move on already.
Terry's had Akira and Jacky, who were shown together with Heihachi when announced. I just don't see it as an absolute here as realistically, there's nothing stopping them from just releasing Geno later. The idea of Geno coming later already assumes another SE character for the pass, so what's to say Geno arrives then?

I agree, I just don't think we're lucky enough to have that happen today

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Gotta hand it to Nintendo that they've been almost flawless with this DLC cycle about keeping things under wraps (Steve was revealed a couple mins prior I guess but that's good considering their standards in the past lol). I literally have no idea what's going to happen tonight or in the future. In a way some closure on some characters would be nice to have because this speculation cycle is CHAOS lmao

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Even with Sora's odds, along with Geno's, looking abysmal as it stands - I still think a full fighter would be more likely than a Mii costume. He's an uber-requested character who'd probably be in by now if there weren't so many hurdles, and you think they'd finally go and jump all of those hurdles... for a Mii costume? Speaking as somebody who doesn't even want the guy. He's definitely an all-or-nothing sort of deal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean keep in mind we have only gotten two PreMiiums out of seven DLC characters. So it could be very well we just don't get a PreMiium.

What I mean by a PreMiium is a Mii costume with a song attached. Like Sans for Banjo-Kazooie, and Cuphead for Byelth.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean keep in mind we have only gotten two PreMiiums out of seven DLC characters. So it could be very well we just don't get a PreMiium.

What I mean by a PreMiium is a Mii costume with a song attached. Like Sans for Banjo-Kazooie, and Cuphead for Byelth.
Vault Boy and Bomberman did not come with songs, but honestly, there are premium as the other two IMO.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I've Seen Eggman brought up occasionally on here even before Sephiroth. There's also been Youtube Speculation videos that guess at him

Eggman did benefit from Sephiroth getting in from a Speculation Standpoint though. Like before on here while he was discussed, he wasn't taken as seriously. Legit Sakura and Arle were seen as Frontrunners, while Eggman was not. Now people looking into him more

Chun-Li I think's been mentioned less. at the least I don't see her in youtube Speculation videos. I think she's the one that benefitted the most from Sephiroth, because I rarely saw her discussed here
chun-li has ben brought up before. Chun-li wouldn't hold a conversation here because this is a Nintendo focused echo chamber. when mainstream people talk about their smash picks Chun-li is VERY common. When i say mainstream Im looking at people like Maximillian.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
How do people even define "preMiium"? Does Bomberman count? It's just feel silly to debate if Geno will be preMiium or not if nobody even know that it means to be one.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
How do people even define "preMiium"? Does Bomberman count? It's just feel silly to debate if Geno will be preMiium or not if nobody even know that it means to be one.
Unofficially it feels like its morphed into "Looks exactly like the character, especially in the head/face". While it would be more accurate to say it only applies to Sans and Cuphead, both Bomberman and Vault Boy do feel a cut above other Mii Costumes.

In that sense Geno could very well end up like the latter two with no song, but with a face/head that looks just like him and a gun directly from Mario RPG.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Vault Boy and Bomberman did not come with songs, but honestly, there are premium as the other two IMO.
How? Did they cost more than their other predecessors?

Just because they are a unique character, they probably cost the same as the other Miis, and they don't have a song. So they are special, but not PreMiiums.

D

Deleted member

From my point of view, PreMiium is when a MiiCostume is attached with a song. Like Sans and Cuphead.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
My definition of Premium mii is if I see the costume as the actual character instead of a mii cosplaying. So I count Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy, and Bomberman.
I don’t count Creeper or Pig as they have entirely different proportions than they do in minecraft.

blackghost

Smash Champion
i think if theres another square its crono not geno
crono is a legal and logistical nightmare. theres a reason they just keep re-releasing the same game on new systems. i think they are up to phones now. Some of toriyama's characters are owned and shared through so many companies that licensing and distribution rights are crazy.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
crono is a legal and logistical nightmare. theres a reason they just keep re-releasing the same game on new systems. i think they are up to phones now. Some of toriyama's characters are owned and shared through so many companies that licensing and distribution rights are crazy.
Wait if Chrono Trigger is a legal nightmare, how is it able to get rereleased at all and how is it worse than Square's most popular game of all time?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That would be a dope idea for a stage, but Silent Hill only works like you say in Silent Hill 2.

In Silent Hill 1 or 3, while the town certainly isn't a normal place, it isn't a symbolic prison of the protagonist.

So maybe that wouldn't be really accurate to the series.
Is it only just the one? I seem to recall there being another where it worked kinda like that. (And then on the other hand a bunch of times where they just said "screw it! Add sexy nurses!")

But yeah, ideally a the first character or stage is the best representative of its respective series, so maybe it isn't the best option. Though I wouldn't put it past them to hyperfocus on Silent Hill 2 considering about half of the 3rd party franchises are stuck in a certain era.

I honestly think Silent Hill might be a bridge too far. If Sakurai thought Dracula's Castle was getting a little too dark for Smash with a gothic aesthetic and classic horror monsters, then I don't know how a bloodstained, rusty asylum with flesh monsters running around is going to get by.
Perhaps. I'm not entirely sure I'd agree but I don't really have any form of reference in my minds eye at the moment (except for a town that's super foggy) so I dunno.

I will say that Dracula's Castle definitely is a bit too visually dark though. Good gravy that vignette is annoying.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright people. Sans and Cuphead are the only PreMiiums. Here is why.
1608229651497.png

Something of greater or superior quality, eh?

Well, all of the Mii costumes cost the same. What makes Bomberman different from Gil in terms of pricing? They may be very different, but they cost the same price. They have no advantageous benefit or new kit through money.
1608229689459.png

Sans and Cuphead also have a similar price, but they come with an extra kit: Music. Sans comes with MEGALOVANIA, and Cuphead comes with Floral Fury. These are clear benefits, actual songs. You cannot merit a costume based off being a third party, or covering the entire character, as there are many costumes that do this. I believe there are even some non-DLC costumes that apply to this. So the fact that Sans and Cuphead are the only two that actually add in something extra in the game, which is music, makes them the only two PreMiiums in my eyes.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Is it only just the one? I seem to recall there being another where it worked kinda like that. (And then on the other hand a bunch of times where they just said "screw it! Add sexy nurses!")

But yeah, ideally a the first character or stage is the best representative of its respective series, so maybe it isn't the best option. Though I wouldn't put it past them to hyperfocus on Silent Hill 2 considering about half of the 3rd party franchises are stuck in a certain era.

Perhaps. I'm not entirely sure I'd agree but I don't really have any form of reference in my minds eye at the moment (except for a town that's super foggy) so I dunno.

I will say that Dracula's Castle definitely is a bit too visually dark though. Good gravy that vignette is annoying.
Well, Silent Hill 2 is by far the most popular (and best) game in the series so it getting the focus of the stage would make sense. I don’t really think all that many people are gonna be annoyed about it. I don’t think there are other ganes that portrayed SH as it was in SH2, at least no good games did that. SH5 was gonna be like SH2, but Konami is Konami.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Just like with Tifa, I really don’t get why people think 2B’s design is too much for smash. Especially if it’s just a mii.
I don't think it's too much for Smash at all. Quite the opposite, in fact; I think the design is the core appeal of the character but it wouldn't translate to a Mii well at all, because Miis are not particularly shapely.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Well I've just played SH1-3 to be fair. Also 4 but my save file got corrupted.

In SH1 and 3
the town doesn't really work like SH2. SH1 and SH3 have, to put it in a way, two versions of the town: the regular and foggy Silent Hill, and the "otherworld" version, which might have some references to the protagonist's psyche, but it doesn't reach the level of symbolism of Silent Hill 2

Though that doesn't mean 1 and 3 lack symbolism, it's just that symbolisms in SH2 are always tied to James.

A SH stage should be the town of Silent Hill. I can see the fog working as a stage hazard lol

Momentary

Smash Cadet
I hope we get the monster hunter mii's soon. I just want to get my expectations crushed as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom