• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I just realized...

We have three characters left. Time is ticking for a lot of people to get their most wanted characters in.

As we continue to progress through the pass, people are going to get a lot more angsty. And when this pass ends, the bottled emotions that a lot of fans had over Ultimate is going to release.

Though I do not think we should let salt get in the way of joy.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I definitely feel a sense of 'completition' in regards to this Challenger Pack. Less about Sephiroth himself and more to do with the fact that he is almost certainly bringing more FF music and finally giving us some FF spirits. The base game felt like it really missing a strong FF presence considering we already had Cloud.

D

Deleted member

Alright, ShinyLegendary predictions for the last three characters.

CP9: March, Monster Hunter
CP10: E3, Third Party Character
CP11: September-October, First Party Character

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Alright, ShinyLegendary predictions for the last three characters.

CP9: March, Monster Hunter
CP10: E3, Third Party Character
CP11: September-October, First Party Character
My personal predictions are

CP9: March, Capcom rep (Either Monster Hunter or Dante, but probably Monster Hunter)
CP10: E3, Crash Bandicoot
CP11: October-November, Raiden

D

Deleted member

NGL I hope that the already represented franchises that are allowed to get DLC characters aren’t only going to be those that have little content in base game. (ARMS, Final Fantasy and now people are speculating Monster Hunter.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm starting to think that none of these characters are really going to bring other characters onto the table. It's more like Nintendo's character choices are a list of exceptions so Min Min isn't really going to bolster the chances of another Nintendo character and Sephiroth isn't going to bolster the chances of a secondary character.

That's just my take though.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I think FP11 is fated to be something like this, unfortunately. Which will subject it to a lot of undeserved backlash. Not that the character itself will inherently be divisive (though maybe they will be), just the fact of being a more low-key addition coming last and destroying remaining hopes.

I still think we've probably got another heavy hitter left, and a mid-tier (not necessarily in that order; it'll be interesting to see what they do for the character that is/was originally scheduled for E3 2021). Then closing out on the lower side.

Of course it's Smash, so literally everything I just said could turn out being wrong.
A low key character huh? Maybe hope Magnus is not lost?

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to think that none of these characters are really going to bring other characters onto the table. It's more like Nintendo's character choices are a list of exceptions so Min Min isn't really going to bolster the chances of another Nintendo character and Sephiroth isn't going to bolster the chances of a secondary character.

Basically, the only rule is that there are no rules.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Finally. Someone who understands that each individual pick doesn’t necessarily imply anything about the rest of the already individually picked characters for the Pass.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Basically, the only rule is that there are no rules.
Except one: video game characters only.

Equally, I believe that Sora's chances aren't necessarily either heightened nor dampered by Sephiroth's inclusion.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad I'm off work on break just as this will end up coming out. This next week is going to be a difficult one to wait through. I can't even begin to imagine how the Sakurai presents is going to go....how many people are going to end up being disappointed by the Mii Fighters?

Barret as a Gunner and Tifa as a Brawler are probably a given and there's a pretty fair chance that Geno will finally see his return (to the dismay of the Geno thread) as a Mii Costume; possibly a 'premium' one like Vaultboy and Sans. Would be nice if we got a few other FF reps; like Sabin from FF6 as a Brawler, Tidus as a swordfighter mii or something. I guess its entirely possible that Sora still make it in as a Premium Mii fighter instead, but I wouldn't place money on that bet.

Finally. Someone who understands that each individual pick doesn’t necessarily imply anything about the rest of the already individually picked characters for the Pass.
I think its more that it opens up our way of thinking to other possibilities. Pretty sure everyone here knows that the pass was decided long ago; each reveal just kinda opens a window (and closes a door) to our potential guesses and allows us to narrow our hopes down and rule others out entirely. This is the newcomer speculation thread afterall; we're here to guess at who's left, not campaign for them. That's what the support threads are for.

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I'm glad I'm off work on break just as this will end up coming out. This next week is going to be a difficult one to wait through. I can't even begin to imagine how the Sakurai presents is going to go....how many people are going to end up being disappointed by the Mii Fighters?

Barret as a Gunner and Tifa as a Brawler are probably a given and there's a pretty fair chance that Geno will finally see his return (to the dismay of the Geno thread) as a Mii Costume; possibly a 'premium' one like Vaultboy and Sans. Would be nice if we got a few other FF reps; like Sabin from FF6 as a Brawler, Tidus as a swordfighter mii or something. I guess its entirely possible that Sora still make it in as a Premium Mii fighter instead, but I wouldn't place money on that bet.
Imagine if we have 5 mii fighters, Geno, Tifa, Barret, Llyod, Monster hunter. If all the returning DLC hits, that would be interesting for the speculation scene.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I have a personal theory with what Sephiroth's reveal means...

Now that we know that third party franchises can have multiple reps that aren't echo fighters, there's some fans that probably think characters such as Eggman and Chun-Li are very likely the Sega and possibly the Capcom rep. However these characters don't really have very good content for their spirit board which is already taken by the base game spirits relating to their franchise. Street Fighter 2 and Sonic have a lot of spirits already, so there's not much new content to add in there.

Raiden doesn't have this problem, just as Sephiroth didn't either. His spirit board content could be entirely unique very easily because of other than Raiden's own spirit, there is no Revengeance spirits in the game. A spirit board for Raiden would just be the 9 bosses included in MGR (Including Khamsin from the DLC) without any base game spirits.

Therefore, I believe that Raiden is one of the most likely characters at the moment.
You saying this means my crack theory that Jetstream Sam is coming might be even better

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Sephiroth isn't my most wanted Square-Enix, let alone most wanted Final Fantasy VII character, yet I watched that trailer far more than usual lol I guess this is what happens when we I don't get a new character since january.

I honestly don't care about getting new franchises in Smash, the crossover is already far bigger than has any right to be. I rather get a cool character from a game already in Smash than a lame one from a new franchise.

Speaking of (Premium) Mii Costumes, you know which Chrono Trigger character would kinda fit as one?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How about Hades for :ultpit:?

A bit of an odd choice, but I'd be all right with it.

I just realized...

We have three characters left. Time is ticking for a lot of people to get their most wanted characters in.

As we continue to progress through the pass, people are going to get a lot more angsty. And when this pass ends, the bottled emotions that a lot of fans had over Ultimate is going to release.

Though I do not think we should let salt get in the way of joy.
That's probably going to be the same with any set of Smash roster announcements - Ultimate's base game, previous entries... heck, people are still upset about Bayonetta's inclusion five years later, if the conspiracy theories are anything to go by.

I feel like it might be worse this time around, though, since people are going to want to see their most-wanted in the "ultimate" Smash Bros. (since, unless it's ported to Nintendo's next system, Sakurai's made it pretty clear that we aren't going to get every single character back like this again. Then again, Sakurai's also said that basically every Smash Bros. game is his last one, so who knows?)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Well, there goes two beliefs I had thanks to Sephiroth:
  • Multiple non-Echo characters from the same 3rd part franchise would only spark bias debates, ergo only Echoes work in this regard
  • Sephiroth would have to be an Assist Trophy at most purely because of the length of his sword
Basically, Sakurai doesn't give a Spindly Johnny and I love it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Oh, given that the last two characters we got are Steve and freaking Sephiroth, I think there's no longer any reason to think that the budget for this pass is less than the previous one.
Except they might have blown the budget on those two, especially Steve.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Except they might have blown the budget on those two, especially Steve.
I think that Sephiroth's trailer costed a lot more, especialy with how much high quality cgi animation there is in it. Like seriously, this trailer is gorgeous, but it also has a lot of complex animated cgi. Sakurai did say that the cgi trailers costed a big part of the budget during FP after all (I think that it was in one of his Famitsu articles after E3 2019).

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I think that Sephiroth's trailer costed a lot more, especialy with how much high quality cgi animation there is in it. Like seriously, this trailer is gorgeous, but it also has a lot of complex animated cgi.
Think Square footed the trailer bill? I could see them doing it in house. They are pretty talented when it comes to these things.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that Sephiroth's trailer costed a lot more, especialy with how much high quality cgi animation there is in it. Like seriously, this trailer is gorgeous, but it also has a lot of complex animated cgi.
Yeah. I do think that Steve and Sephiroth sucked most of the budget, and Min Min to some extent.

D

Deleted member

Lets see. Smash Spirits
Tifa
Yuffie
Aerith
Cait Sith
Vencint
Barret
Rex XIII
Cid
Safer Seph
Jenova
Yeah that's probably a safe bet considering each Spirit Board that came with DLC so far was basically all the main characters.
Tifa, Barret, Cid, Cait Sith and Red XIII are probably all Rank 1 spirits
Yuffie & Vincent are likely Rank 2 because they're secret characters
Aerith, if not rank 4, would probably be rank 3 (and be another heal-oriented spirit)
With either Jenova or Sephiroth being rank 4....though Seph's getting his own Spirit as a Fighter, so they can probably include Jenova as its own.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Now that the dust has settled, I want to voice some thoughts about the future of newcomers at this point.

1. Sephiroth just blew open the doors on the idea of 3rd party franchise double-dipping, and from the same game no less. This widens the door for many, many candidates, such as Eggman, Chun Li, and Zero, who can now argue with little fear of retaliation. The problem is...

2. There have always been more characters that would good additions to Smash than there are spaces for those characters. Now that pool's drastically widened, while the number of available slots remains the same. Many, many more now-hopefuls are going to be disappointed at the end of all this.

3. I have a feeling that this, Sephiroth, is going to be the peak of hype at this point. Steve into Sephiroth is a double-whammy of sheer popularity coverage that no one else can really rival, and in fact I feel that whoever's left may not be able to rival those picks.

In fact, if I'd wanted to pace these reveals out so that we don't end on another sour note, I might have made Sephiroth the final character to be revealed because he'd just be so safe in terms of guaranteed excitement, especially because we already had Steve prop up everyone's expectations. Having this double-whammy back-to-back reminds me of how we moved quickly from Joker to Banjo to get people excited for the Fighters Pass, only for everything to go downhill afterwards. That's what I'm afraid of - that 2021 is going to be a downhill slide in terms of big-shot guest stars, especially since Sephiroth likely cost Nintendo some really pretty pennies to get.

4. Squeenix is probably kicked off the pool at this point. It's hard to imagine a DLC budget where you can afford both Sephiroth and someone else from Square Enix, let alone Sora. (If Activision is still charging millions for Crash, then this'd be a bad omen for him too.)

5. Despite Sora and Geno having such vocal fanbases, they went with Sephiroth, a guy with relatively little vocal support yet a subtle pervasive effect on Japanese pop culture. Curious, eh?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
-Final Fantasy VII
0% - or Final Fantasy in general. We got Dragon Quest already... unless he puts Sephiroth in, I doubt we'll get more FF stuff, if anything some other popular Square properties such as Tomb Raider or others.
My prediction was completely wrong as usual, but at least I said "unless he puts Sephiroth in".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom