• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So this was found, a post from October 6th, right after the Steve presentation.
Yes, from 5chan.
Make of that what you will.

39 :名無しさん必死だな:2020/10/06(火) 02:04:48.28 ID:aZ22kCgS0.net
ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
残りはこの2体と東方の霊夢とゼノサーガのKOSMOS
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

Not really Sony reps, but Sephiroth and Crash are coming.
The remainings are these two and Reimu from Touhou and KOSMOS from Xenosaga.
The lineup is trying way too hard to play to the crowd so it won't be pretty.
Unfortunately, there won't be any promotions from Mii costumes.

http://anago.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/ghard/1601895454/39
Give me Crash and I'm happy. KOS-MOS getting in would lowkey be a very surprising comeback, I think most of us consider her dead and buried after it turned out #5 wasn't her.

Still, while Sephiroth was very hard to predict, I don't think he was so outlandish that I'm going to believe any leak that mentioned him. He has been brought up from time to time, and even was on that fabled Seven Squares list from back during the pre-Hero speculation that was supposedly what Square used to bait leakers.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
A leak that gets one thing right, I'm not impressed.

A leak that gets two things right, I'll acknowledge it and keep it around to reference.

A leak that gets 3 things right, then we're talking.

The roster, if that leak is right, would definitely be interesting, but pardon my apathetic applause for guessing the biggest baddie not in Smash. Was it hard? I mean, yeah, but it's Sephiroth. I'm pretty sure it's not like people just don't throw out fake leaks with him on them daily.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Is it really that impressive even? I ****ing jokingly called Sephiroth back when Sakurai posted this PotD

View attachment 295089

Sephiroth's one of the most iconic villains of all time, it's like you said, monkeys on a typewriter.
Impressive in the sense of, if you were trying to bait people into believing you, you probably wouldn't start with Sephiroth spearheading your list

Edit: like you said, you jokingly predicted him, you didn't try to pass it off as serious

Last edited:

TraaP

Smash Cadet
This is interesting:

January - Byleth
February - Plant
March -
April - Joker
May -
June - Min Min
July - Hero
August -
Sep - Banjo
Oct - Steve
Nov - Terry
Dec - Sephiroth

It's quite likely we'll get a FP9 in March, however I doubt we'll finish the 2nd figher pass in August. This is most likely a coincidence, but still could be a good indicator.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
To be honest, I was actually quite surprised with Sephiroth's reveal, but then again, it certainly is something that I could see being shown in the Awards show for sure and I am happy for his inclusion. But at least there will be a couple more songs from Final Fantasy VII.

Anyways looking onwards, I predict the next character reveal will be in March.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I think I saw some theory about Sephiroth being part of a Square deal a few pages back? Can someone link it to me?
I didn't check what others have said, but my idea is that, to get Geno as a fighter, Square forced a deal to have Sephiroth too.
Or he will be miified in this round. It can go either way.

I'm neutral toward Sephiroth in himself.

I'm mostly upset because Square-Enix has so much more to offer than another FF7 rep (2B, Lara, Neku, other FF rep) and because it doesn't remove any of usual third-party competition.

And at the same time, it's the second character (after Min-min) that brings a new light on an IP that was not so much represented in the base game, increasing the chance for both a fighter in the Xenoblade or Golden Sun series.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Finally: this does put into question the whole "prioritizing franchises without content in Smash" thing, especially considering we got Min Min and Sephiroth in the same Pass. This actually bodes well for Rex - in fact, I think I saw some theory about Sephiroth being part of a Square deal a few pages back? Can someone link it to me?

It's just a rumor, nothing confirmed.

Shroob

Sup?
This is interesting:

January - Byleth
February - Plant
March -
April - Joker
May -
June - Min Min
July - Hero
August -
Sep - Banjo
Oct - Steve
Nov - Terry
Dec - Sephiroth

It's quite likely we'll get a FP9 in March, however I doubt we'll finish the 2nd figher pass in August. This is most likely a coincidence, but still could be a good indicator.
May is just a weird month.

We dunno if there'll be an E3 this year, but if there'd be a character in May.... it almost feels silly not so save them until E3 time. The only reason I could imagine would be to show off the last character at E3, and after Terry, most characters have been coming out shortly after their trailers.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I didn't check what others have said, but my idea is that, to get Geno as a fighter, Square forced a deal to have Sephiroth too.
You mean like how Square forced Sakurai to add Cloud and Hero for Geno's license?

I get that people like that puppet but it's getting kinda ridiculous how some of his fans think that he's more valuable for Nintendo than one of the most iconic video game villains ever.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I gotta say it's funny how Square is ALWAYS painted as a villain that keeps Geno hostage from Smash. Like at least once we could entertain the possibility that Nintendo just isn't interested in the character.

They are the richest company in Japan, I don't think they're going to be boss around by a smaller company just because "they're stingy XD".

D

Deleted member

Am I going insane or is the trailer on the website different from the one shown at TGA? The site has it as Smash X FF7 but I could’ve sworn the livestream just said Final Fantasy.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Am I going insane or is the trailer on the website different from the one shown at TGA? The site has it as Smash X FF7 but I could’ve sworn the livestream just said Final Fantasy.
It did say x FF.

No one knows why.
Probably to avoid the M rated thing for muricans... just bull****ting, I don't actually know

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I've always felt that Geno is probably an example of how "too small" a highly requested character can be.

Like people have always tried putting him on the same level as Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie but it's just...yeah. Fan demand aside, those are like, either reoccuring villains from long running series or in B-K's case, the main protagonists of their own series of games. Generally speaking those fall under the usual criteria that most Smash characters do. Geno does not.

Quite frankly I just always thought it'd be kinda stupid to have Geno be playable while other characters he's even less significant then like Waluigi, Ashley and Krystal could only muster assist trophies. I honesty just wish Sakurai had made him an AT in the base game just to rip the band-aid off and give his fanbase closure just as he did with Isaac, Krystal, Shadow, etc, instead of prolonging this for years.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I will say, slightly begrudgingly, that Geno is not dead.... yet.

December 17th will be the day that makes or breaks him.

Will he be shown off as a returning Mii costume? Although he's not a Final Fantasy character, he IS a SE character, and we've seen that SE Miis like to stick together. Not only that, but the Chocobo hat is almost assuredly 100% returning, which launched alongside him last time. If he is shown off as a Mii costume, he's dead, that's it, game over, doubly so if he's a PreMiium Mii and comes with Beware the Forest's Mushroom.

If he does NOT get shown off, then the insanity continues, and this gets dragged on until the pass ends sometime mid next year.

6 days to go.

I.D.

Smash Lord

Will he be shown off as a returning Mii costume? Although he's not a Final Fantasy character, he IS a SE character, and we've seen that SE Miis like to stick together. Not only that, but the Chocobo hat is almost assuredly 100% returning, which launched alongside him last time. If he is shown off as a Mii costume, he's dead, that's it, game over, doubly so if he's a PreMiium Mii and comes with Beware the Forest's Mushroom.

If he does NOT get shown off, then the insanity continues, and this gets dragged on until the pass ends sometime mid next year.

6 days to go.
Honestly I'm at a point that if the costume doesn't come with Sephiroth it simply means the dreaded Mario council won, that it's not coming back at all and nothing else. Three DLC characters from Square feels like really pushing it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

6 days to go.
Miis aren’t even half bad. I like playing with my Rex costume even though I suck as swordfighter lmao. If Geno is Mii’d as expected I just hope the Geno thread doesn’t explode in anger.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
To be fair, Nintendo definitely gives Sakurai more leeway with their properties than they do with other external companies.

Why else do you think they still allow Giga Bowser to be a thing after 2008, or why they let the Kongs and Bowser sound like realistic animals/monsters instead of their proper VAs from the games lol

I.D.

Smash Lord
To be fair, Nintendo definitely gives Sakurai more leeway with their properties than they do with other external companies.

Why else do you think they still allow Giga Bowser to be a thing after 2008, or why they let the Kongs and Bowser sound like realistic animals/monsters instead of their proper VAs from the games lol
They definitely do, but at the same time every single Mario character playable in Smash was created in-house, with Waluigi in particular being conspicuously denied time after time.

D

Deleted member

I demand Piranha Plant gets the voice acting it deserves:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
They definitely do, but at the same time every single Mario character playable in Smash was created in-house, with Waluigi in particular being conspicuously denied time after time.
Meh. Keep in mind that Miyamoto and Tanabe basically blocked K. Rool and the Kremlings from being in Retro's DKC games and yet Sakurai was still able to get him fine in Ultimate.

I think if Sakurai really wanted Waluigi in Smash, he'd be allowed to do so. It's just that, well, Waluigi is ultimately an insignificant character with no purpose outside of just being that guy you play as in Mario spinoffs, and unlike his female equivalent Daisy, he can't be some cheap glorified alternate costume of anyone. I really don't think it's hard to see why Sakurai just views him as AT fodder and nothing more.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Here's my theory for mii costumes coming with Sephiroth; seeing how Hero's mii costume pack has been exclusively Dragon Quest content, I am going to expect Sephiroth's mii costume pack to be exclusively Final Fantasy content with a tiny chance for other Square IPs.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The hard truth about Geno is that he's tied down to a franchise that's grown to be so massive since his debut that he's become nothing more than a single grain of sand on a very large beach.

Doesn't matter if it's Nintendo or Sakurai calling the shots. Chances are, both are gonna prefer the Mario character/SE character who frequently appears in modern games, not the one whose been dormant for nearly two and a half decades.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's kind of funny to look back at Smash 4 discussion now. Back then, one of the biggest wants was for more villains and many were disappointed that we only got :4bowserjr: while Wolf got the axe. Ultimate? We have :ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultbowserjr::ultridley::ultkrool::ultwolf::ultdarksamus::ultpiranha: and now :ultsephiroth:.

We've definitely come a long way since those days, it would be funny to tell someone back then that we'd triple our villain roster and get one of the most iconic ones to boot.
SSB4 technically got 8 villains.:ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig:

But yes, Smash still needs more villains. :awesome:

:ultmario: Waluigi
:ultlink: Ganon
:ultlink: Skull Kid
:ultyoshi: Kamek
:ultkirby: Marx
:ultpikachu: Team Rocket (Meowth, Ekans, Koffing)
:ultness: Porky
:ultpit: Medusa
:ultsonic: Dr. Eggman
:ultmegaman: Dr. Wily
:ultryu: M. Bison
:ultsimon: Dracula
:ulthero: Slime

D

Deleted member

6 days to go.
Mmm, honestly...

I think Geno is dead, even if his Mii Costume is not showed off. I highly doubt we are getting more DLC characters once this pass ends, and we only have three characters left until FP2 concludes.

I am not saying that Geno is impossible after Sephiroth, but he just seems extremely unlikely. I highly doubt Square will double dip in Geno's favour, when they have so many other iconic characters as well. Yes, fan rules are meant to be broken, but things are looking very rough for Geno getting in as a character.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Here's my theory for mii costumes coming with Sephiroth; seeing how Hero's mii costume pack has been exclusively Dragon Quest content, I am going to expect Sephiroth's mii costume pack to be exclusively Final Fantasy content with a tiny chance for other Square IPs.
Yes. I was thinking this exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

My guess is that Sephiroth will very likely be playable in Christmas, or before.

So, my prediction is 17-25.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah, I just don't see Square-Enix getting away with three whole DLC characters this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom