• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I know we say this after every reveal but like...

This does not feel real

This pass has just been off the wall once you think about it.

Min Min
Steve
Sephiroth

Like this lineup looks like something you'd see in some dumb 4chan text leak
This pass has already surpassed FP1 for me. Like, dang, I can't wait to get more FF7 content in this game, no matter how little it may be.

SKX31

Smash Master
Sephiroth is one of two third party characters who got a cameo in a smash game before their introduction (Ken was the first).
Final Fantasy Trophies - Cloud's Final Smash! by ObsessedGamerGal86 on  DeviantArt's Final Smash! by ObsessedGamerGal86 on  DeviantArt

this is via a singular mention in a smash 4 trophy.
Ooof. Shulk is really going to feel that one. As well as not feel anything afterwards.

Now that the dust has settled, I want to voice some thoughts about the future of newcomers at this point.

1. Sephiroth just blew open the doors on the idea of 3rd party franchise double-dipping, and from the same game no less. This widens the door for many, many candidates, such as Eggman, Chun Li, and Zero, who can now argue with little fear of retaliation. The problem is...

2. There have always been more characters that would good additions to Smash than there are spaces for those characters. Now that pool's drastically widened, while the number of available slots remains the same. Many, many more now-hopefuls are going to be disappointed at the end of all this.

3. I have a feeling that this, Sephiroth, is going to be the peak of hype at this point. Steve into Sephiroth is a double-whammy of sheer popularity coverage that no one else can really rival, and in fact I feel that whoever's left may not be able to rival those picks.

In fact, if I'd wanted to pace these reveals out so that we don't end on another sour note, I might have made Sephiroth the final character to be revealed because he'd just be so safe in terms of guaranteed excitement, especially because we already had Steve prop up everyone's expectations. Having this double-whammy back-to-back reminds me of how we moved quickly from Joker to Banjo to get people excited for the Fighters Pass, only for everything to go downhill afterwards. That's what I'm afraid of - that 2021 is going to be a downhill slide in terms of big-shot guest stars, especially since Sephiroth likely cost Nintendo some really pretty pennies to get.

4. Squeenix is probably kicked off the pool at this point. It's hard to imagine a DLC budget where you can afford both Sephiroth and someone else from Square Enix, let alone Sora. (If Activision is still charging millions for Crash, then this'd be a bad omen for him too.)

5. Despite Sora and Geno having such vocal fanbases, they went with Sephiroth, a guy with relatively little vocal support yet a subtle pervasive effect on Japanese pop culture. Curious, eh?
I'm not entirely convinced on the limited budget angle - not only was Steve and Sephiroth back-to-back, but Min Min got an animated trailer where Falcon's seiyuu came back just to record slurping sounds. Min Min's trailer is also more detailed and involved than say Byleth's. We'll have to see though - FP2's only halfway done with Sephiroth, and the next couple characters could certainly be more low key.

TBF, Nintendo already had a foot in the door with Cloud's AC costume and related material. It might've taken them a lot of time to get whatever comes with Sephiroth's Challenger Pack sorted out, but we'll have to see if Sakurai comments on that during the Presentation.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Interesting to note about FP2 is that we got Min Min and Sephiroth, characters from franchises that already had content in the base game. What's also interesting is that ARMS and Minecraft were considered back in the base game according to Sakurai, they might have gotten in if timing and negotiation was on their sides then they might have gotten in the base game.

Wanna know which character comes from an already represented franchise and also was considered for the base game but didn't make it?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Interesting to note about FP2 is that we got Min Min and Sephiroth, characters from franchises that already had content in the base game. What's also interesting is that ARMS and Minecraft were considered back in the base game according to Sakurai, they might have gotten in if timing and negotiation was on their sides then they might have gotten in the base game.

Wanna know which character comes from an already represented franchise and also was considered for the base game but didn't make it?

Alucard, Rex, Decidueye. The code has been cracked, there's your final three characters.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

And you know what that means...

Sephiroth will replace Simon in the Alucard spirit battle once version 10.0 drops :^)

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I haven't give my thoughts on Sephiroth: I am never been that happy to be wrong. I thought that second rep for third party character would never happen as DLC, but here we are. I am so happy, he looks so fun, the trailer is insane and One winged angel is finally in Smash. I always like more antagonist in Smash.

I just hope he come with more than 2 music but still, he's the character I didn't know I wanted until I saw it. This is just insane.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
So now that Sephiroth is announced. RIP Sora, Lara Croft, 2B, and Geno's chances for the rest of Fighter Pass 2.

I suspect that Geno will get a deluxe Mii Costume like Sans which comes with the music track "Beyond the Forest Mushrooms" from Super Mario RPG.

I'm still hoping that Rayman is one of the remaining 3 DLC fighters.

D

Deleted member

So no poll to congratulate the coming of our lord and saviour Sephiroth aka the One Winged Angel God ♥ ?
Pretty strange, because they added a Sephiroth icon and main icon before a day since he was revealed, and Steve still doesn't have a main icon. :ultsephiroth:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While we clearly can’t straight up predict characters, I feel as though Hayabusa is looking...pretty good, still.

Not so sure about Dante and Crash, but I don’t really think anything is out of the running. It has, and always does, come down to what Nintendo is trying to do with the DLC.

Sephiroth is Sephiroth. Among the most iconic villains in gaming and from a game that absolutely needed more content in the game. I’m really curious about how much of those rumors are true, because that has../interesting implications for DLC. Is the entire pass going to be made up of characters that just couldn’t make it previously? I wonder who that leaves.

The other question that remains to be answered is Assist Trophy upgrades. Will they happen? Will they not? I’m still not convinced they will, but I would never rule it out as a surprise.

Also just wanted to point out that personally, if there’s any ONE AT upgrade, my bet is Waluigi for the final DLC pick because of the memes.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I like the guy but Kind of disappointed with Sephiroth as the reveal. To have a char not only from the same franchise, but same game is a let down. I'll reserve judgement until the char overview next week, but his moveset doesn't appear to be too dynamic. I guess this disconfirms Geno & Sora for the fighters pass. I also don't think this fighters pass is following the same beats as the previous pass anymore? I don't see anything Sephiroth and Banjo have in common, unless MinMin was the extra character and not CP11

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
You know what's also interesting? Vol 2 so far have contained characters from the same companies in the previous Pass with Nintendo, Microsoft, and Square Enix (although since Steve's inclusion Mojang was added to the copyright list but I guess they're in a similar position as Atlus are).

Looks like we have a new precedent on our hands now.
hol up

Sees Sega had Joker in Pass 1

oh my god

he's ****ing in

transferir (13).jpeg

D

Deleted member

I can't wait to see the rumors from here on out; how wild will they be now that Sephiroth and Steve occupy the same pass? Doomguy, Masterchief, and Crash are way too tame. The 'leaks' now are going to be some off the wall people with one one character to 'ground' it to make it more believable.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So then.

How do you guys think this chances speculation at this point?

For one, Square characters are pretty much dead in the water or their chances have been dropped (2B, Geno, Lara Croft, Neku, etc.) and this definitely also opens the door for secondary 3rd party characters from the same franchise.

Definitely also feeling a Capcom character is more likely too now. Either Dante or Monster Hunter, leaning towards Monster Hunter, although Dante would be perfect as a continuation to Sephiroth's trailer.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I have would have preferred a character from any other FF game (and the new worlds only concept with DLC has certainly been harpooned), but I'm happy that fans of VII get a favorite of theirs in.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So this was found, a post from October 6th, right after the Steve presentation.
Yes, from 5chan.
Make of that what you will.

39 :名無しさん必死だな:2020/10/06(火) 02:04:48.28 ID:aZ22kCgS0.net
ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
残りはこの2体と東方の霊夢とゼノサーガのKOSMOS
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

Not really Sony reps, but Sephiroth and Crash are coming.
The remainings are these two and Reimu from Touhou and KOSMOS from Xenosaga.
The lineup is trying way too hard to play to the crowd so it won't be pretty.
Unfortunately, there won't be any promotions from Mii costumes.

http://anago.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/ghard/1601895454/39
Assuming this is the scenario, that's honestly not a bad line-up. 1 Nintendo Promotion for a Nintendo series without a playable character(Min-Min), 3 incredibly known series/characters(Steve/Minecraft, Sephiroth and Crash), 1 very popular Japanese character(Reimu Hakurei) and 1 underdog 3rd Party character connected to another Nintendo series(KOS-MOS). I'd be pretty okay with this line-up if this were the scenario. Whether it is or not, we will see.
So how is everyone thinking of Sephiroth so far?

My opinion. A surprising but welcoming pick.

But that aside, his reveal felt very good after everybody practically gave up when Jonesy was being hinted at. The amount of positive energy from the reveal felt very much needed.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
By the way, good chance the next fighter could be Monster Hunter to promote Rise.

Either its a coincidence or Sephiroth was added to promote the remake of FF7.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So then.

How do you guys think this chances speculation at this point?

For one, Square characters are pretty much dead in the water or their chances have been dropped (2B, Geno, Lara Croft, Neku, etc.) and this definitely also opens the door for secondary 3rd party characters from the same franchise.

Definitely also feeling a Capcom character is more likely too now. Either Dante or Monster Hunter, leaning towards Monster Hunter, although Dante would be perfect as a continuation to Sephiroth's trailer.
I already said my take on it, but I can repeat myself; Geno's Law is dead, so we might actually have some genuine speculation instead of every conversation topic leading to Geno talks, and that's a massive change if you ask me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
hol up

Sees Sega had Joker in Pass 1

oh my god

he's ****ing in

View attachment 295114
**** YEAH MY BOY GRANDPA GRANDPA FOR HIS FINAL SMASH HE MAKES ME REMEMBER ALL THE FUN I HAD MAINING HIM IN SONIC SEGA ALL STARS BEFORE PAINFULLY REMINDING ME THEY ****IN CUT HIM IN TRANSFORMED

As for what's next, **** if I know, I'm waiting for my goddamn birthday showing off how this asshole twink works. Also I have a feeling his codename's gonna be Mother or Shampoo

D

Deleted member

Okay, ShinyLegendary predictions is back.

So, I am going to make even more of a crack shoot, and guess characters.

CP9: Monster Hunter, March
CP10: Ryu Hayabusa, E3
CP11: Rex and Pyra, September-October

Of course, I will most likely be very incorrect. It is like trying to find a certain grain of sand on the beach.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
By the way, good chance the next fighter could be Monster Hunter to promote Rise.

I feel like Sakurai would want to wait until after Rise released if it's specifically because of that game, which would mean Monster Hunter cannot realistically be Fighter #9.

If Rise has no impact and doesn't influence anything, then anything goes, I guess.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

I don’t know...I don’t think Sephiroth was added to promote FF7R.

I think Sephiroth was added because he’s Sephiroth.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I feel like Sakurai would want to wait until after Rise released if it's specifically because of that game, which would mean Monster Hunter cannot realistically be Fighter #9.

If Rise has no impact and doesn't influence anything, then anything goes, I guess.
Idk P5R uses the Grappling Hook yet Joker came out long before P5R. Some new tools being from Rise shouldn't be worse than representing a core element of an upcoming release

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Idk P5R uses the Grappling Hook yet Joker came out long before P5R. Some new tools being from Rise shouldn't be worse than representing a core element of an upcoming release
That's fair, and the Wirebugs would be the sickest Up B idea ever.

But still, I don't think it would be specifically the Rise hunters using exclusively Rise stuff if Hunter is fighter 9, just something like Joker where he gets one move that references the game... and maybe an alt.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
** YEAH MY BOY GRANDPA GRANDPA FOR HIS FINAL SMASH HE MAKES ME REMEMBER ALL THE FUN I HAD MAINING HIM IN SONIC SEGA ALL STARS BEFORE PAINFULLY REMINDING ME THEY ****IN CUT HIM IN TRANSFORMED
GOD SAME HE WAS MY MAIN MAN TOO WHY DID THEY CULL ALL OF THE COOLEST PICKS FROM THE FIRST GAME IN TRANSFORMED WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

D

Deleted member

Wait, if Sephiroth is a twink according to all of you, then what does a hunk look like in your heads?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom