• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don’t know...I don’t think Sephiroth was added to promote FF7R.

I think Sephiroth was added because he’s Sephiroth.
I mean, it works both cases. He's in cause he's Sephiroth, but also has the added benefit of promoting FF7 Remake. Like regardless of why he was added, he's still promoting it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So how is everyone thinking of Sephiroth so far?

My opinion. A surprising but welcoming pick.
Hot take: Didn’t really care for it. No hate to him, no hate to those who like him, no hate towards anything really. Just not interesting for me.

And before everyone starts piling on “How could you say that he’s one of the most iconic villains in gaming from one of (if not) the best games in his series?!?!?!”

I know his value to Smash and to a good deal of gamers. I just never got into his series so it’s not a big deal to me. It is what it is.

It’s a choice that will make a lot of people happy and arguably one of the most iconic villains in gaming. I just happen to not be a part of the crowd that’s really excited for him. But at the same time, just because I don’t care doesn’t mean that I should hate on those who do or start yelling “BOOOOOO! It’s not a character I wanted therefore it sucks!!!”

So, to put it simply, no ill will towards anyone or anything, just not a whole lot of interest for me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't want to jump to conclusions regarding non-protagonists too quickly. We literally just got one, yes, but like
  • Cloud
  • Midgar
  • Two songs, neither are remixes
  • Two Spirits, neither of which have a Spirit Battle or original artwork
You call this representation? Final Fantasy might as well be a new world, especially if Sephiroth ends up representing the entire series and not just FF7.

That being said, it's too early to tell. If it's still just Sephiroth, then go crazy. If he still has the usual amount of content, I think the rest of the DLC will also be bringing in new content. If that's the case, then I'm most confident in:
  • Doctor Eggman. The other iconic third-party villain, with a whole plethora of Badniks and robots to act as his Spirit Board and a lot of Sonic tracks that are missing. Kinda like Sephiroth, but his series is a little less neglected.
  • Bandana Waddle Dee. A bit less wiggle room than Eggman, but I think he can squeeze in. Modern Kirby's representation has some room to be desired, and there's a fair bit that BWD could bring with him. Not as closely tied, but if Sephiroth brings general FF content, I think he could work too.
Huh. That list was shorter than I expected.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So is Sephiorth's Model Completely New?

I Know Min-Min's and Steve's Model were just ported model from their Home Games, but I've not seen a Sephiroth Model like this ever though, especially in the face department (He looks actually scary)

Last edited:

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
So now that Sephiroth is announced. RIP Sora, Lara Croft, 2B, and Geno's chances for the rest of Fighter Pass 2.

I suspect that Geno will get a deluxe Mii Costume like Sans which comes with the music track "Beyond the Forest Mushrooms" from Super Mario RPG.

I'm still hoping that Rayman is one of the remaining 3 DLC fighters.
While I'm pretty sure, I need to see the mii costumes to confirm. If we see them, its finished, if we don't, there could be a chance.

Then again, they may not be mii costumes and still not have a chance. There is no telling with Sakurai. The "rules" we make are constantly proven wrong by his choices

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't want to jump to conclusions regarding non-protagonists too quickly. We literally just got one, yes, but like
  • Cloud
  • Midgar
  • Two songs, neither are remixes
  • Two Spirits, neither of which have a Spirit Battle or original artwork
You call this representation? Final Fantasy might as well be a new world, especially if Sephiroth ends up representing the entire series and not just FF7.

That being said, it's too early to tell. If it's still just Sephiroth, then go crazy. If he still has the usual amount of content, I think the rest of the DLC will also be bringing in new content. If that's the case, then I'm most confident in:
  • Doctor Eggman. The other iconic third-party villain, with a whole plethora of Badniks and robots to act as his Spirit Board and a lot of Sonic tracks that are missing. Kinda like Sephiroth, but his series is a little less neglected.
  • Bandana Waddle Dee. A bit less wiggle room than Eggman, but I think he can squeeze in. Modern Kirby's representation has some room to be desired, and there's a fair bit that BWD could bring with him. Not as closely tied, but if Sephiroth brings general FF content, I think he could work too.
If "FF7 but it actually has content" is a new world, so is modern Kirby IMO.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Now that it's been a while since the announcement, I think I have my thoughts in order. Honestly, I would've preferred a character from a newer franchise. As much as I clamored for Eggman, I can't help but feel expanding the crossover is more exciting to me. I also would've preferred a FF character from any game aside from VII, but I understand why they chose to go with that game again.

Sephiroth does look like he's going to be a really fun character, so I think that's what saved me from being negative about the reveal. I'm not a FF fan, but I think his inclusion is really awesome and I'm excited to try him out.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
For all we know the remaining three fighters are all Square characters. I'm not trying to assert any "rules", it just doesn't really check out IMO. Geno's lookng like a deluxe Mii costume or bust, but I'm not gonna act like I've got a crystal ball. Just not going to be unrealistic (unrealistic from the PoV of the information currently available to us)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if Geno is not a Mii Costume, his chances are still really bleak. I highly doubt Square out of all companies will double dip on one pass. And if they were to double dip, there are so many Square characters that are more iconic than Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

So is Sephiorth's Model Completely New?

I Know Min-Min's and Steve's Model were just ported model from their Home Games, but I've not seen a Sephiroth Model like this ever though, especially in the face department (He looks actually scary)
Almost looks like his Dissidia model. Might make sense too since a good portion of his moveset seems very Dissidia inspired.

EDIT: Taking a look at his moveset there, it looks like the trailer showed Shadow Flare (the Purple Orb attack), Scintilla (the counter), Octoslash (looked like a charged multi-slash attack he used against....Ike I think it was?), and Hell's Gate (Downward Stab attack that was used next to Zelda to look like the Aerith death scene).

Last edited by a moderator:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Even if Geno is not a Mii Costume, his chances are still really bleak. I highly doubt Square out of all companies will double dip on one pass. And if they were, there are so many Square characters that are more iconic than Geno.
I'm not sure why some people would see a deluxe Mii costume for Geno as some kind of bad scenario, honestly. As you said it's looking like his only chance at this point but even still; with the Mii body type it would look nicely convincing; a fantastic consolation prize.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Honestly I cannot wait to play as Sephiroth. He's the first character in this pass I'm excited to see. Also seeing Banjo & Kazooie in another character's CGI trailer was a treat even if it was for a few seconds.

Anyway I don't think Sora is out. If Disney are the ones who own the rights to him, I think he's safe.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If that's the case, then I'm most confident in:
I'd add someone from the The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild trilogy, but it has a DLC Mii costume, as well as no clear character that they'd add from it, so there's a bit of weirdness going on there.

...Steve's Model [was] just ported model from their Home Game...
Was it? I remember someone showing how the model was different.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I really wanted Geno, but if Square were to somehow get another character into this game, I feel like it'd be another one of their notable IPs. Someone like Sora or Chrono. I just don't think Square or Nintendo really cares enough to revive Geno. Fan support can only go so far. While it works in some situations, think about where Mother 3's localization progress is today.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Honestly I cannot wait to play as Sephiroth. He's the first character in this pass I'm excited to see. Also seeing Banjo & Kazooie in another character's CGI trailer was a treat even if it was for a few seconds.

Anyway I don't think Sora is out. If Disney are the ones who own the rights to him, I think he's safe.
The one time "Sora is ownedby Disney" argument brings a positive with it lol

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Just wanna vent a bit.

I'm as desperate as ever for Dante, you know me and all...
but the fact that Sephiroth shows that Nintendo are more than willing to double dip on 3rd party franchises with unique characters makes me painfully aware that Monster Hunter's chances have SKYROCKETED through the roof and now I believe they are far more likely a candidate than Dante ever has been (or will be).

As for Sega... There's no way in God's green Earth that they'll pick a nobody franchise like Shin Megami Tensei when they have the option of a megahit sonic character like Eggman, Shadow, or Tails. Hell, even within Atlus itself Persona eclipses SMT to the point I think it's very likely that they'd pick Yu Narukami over anyone else in their gallery.

In short, the hope I got for my most 2 wanteds has evaporated completely after this.
View attachment 295077
Anyway, those are just my non-Sephiroth related thoughts after his reveal. At least he looks really cool.
Yeah man. I'm not feeling Dante right now. Not because Sephiroth is also a swordie or anything like that, just that base content getting DLC representation seems more likely to us now.
I guess that could help some Assist Trophies as well.

I know we're just being pessimistic and also really influenced by how things are going right now. Monster Hunter definitely has a shot though. Still hoping for Dante (or Phoenix Wright), but if we get MH I wouldn't complain, it would be a fine choice.

As for Sega, at this point I'm not feeling another Sega rep. Though Demi-fiend would be rad.

If I had to guess the 3 remaining characters right now I'm feeling this:
  • Capcom character
  • Nintendo character
  • New 3rd party character

I think it's kinda funny how Dante now has both his Japanese and English Voice Actors in the game and he still isn't playable.
Literally just:

I know we say this after every reveal but like...

This does not feel real

This pass has just been off the wall once you think about it.

Min Min
Steve
Sephiroth

Like this lineup looks like something you'd see in some dumb 4chan text leak
Man I was thinking this exact same thing after Sephiroth's reveal. Maybe the lineup for Pass 2 will look more normal after knowing who are the 3 last characters, but Min Min, Steve and Sephiroth feels like a bizarre combination.

⛧Lord Metallium⛧

Smash Apprentice
So this was found, a post from October 6th, right after the Steve presentation.
Yes, from 5chan.
Make of that what you will.

39 :名無しさん必死だな:2020/10/06(火) 02:04:48.28 ID:aZ22kCgS0.net
ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
残りはこの2体と東方の霊夢とゼノサーガのKOSMOS
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

Not really Sony reps, but Sephiroth and Crash are coming.
The remainings are these two and Reimu from Touhou and KOSMOS from Xenosaga.
The lineup is trying way too hard to play to the crowd so it won't be pretty.
Unfortunately, there won't be any promotions from Mii costumes.

http://anago.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/ghard/1601895454/39
Touhou that right there set this a fake, sadly i don't see touhou in smash sephiroth became a reality and Kos-Mos i hope but again Sakurai have to disscuss that with Namco and Monolift at the same time, if she makes it it will revive XENOSAGA as a whole, that right there would be EPIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom