• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Post-Joker speculation was probably the most wild times of speculation. There were so many possible characters, it was crazy. Though later on it was dominated by Hero talk, as Nintendo themselves accidently leaked Hero. Though for some reason I was a firm believer that Hero would never be in. Hinata and tehponycorn put me to my senses.

I took a break from speculation after Hero and Banjo were revealed, so I am unsure of what post-Hero and Banjo speculation was like. But speculation would still leak on from where I was at, so I know a bit about the following:

Post-Terry speculation was a buildup. Everyone was expecting a huge third party to end the pass, such as Dante, Master Chief, Doomguy, Reimu or KOS-MOS, but then boom, Byleth.

Post-Byleth speculation was probably filled with a lot of Byleth salt, but it was revealed that Fighter Pass 2 was a thing, so a lot of people speculated about that. First party discussion started to become more prevalent. Then it was revealed that an ARMS character would be in. I was still in my break, so I missed a lot of that, but I am sure it was pretty dreadful.

Post-Min Min speculation is where my break ended, and where I began to speculate again. It was filled with a lot of first party debates, like Rex and Pyra. Third parties were also on the rise, and people started talking about Crash, Dante, Monster Hunter, Hayabusa, Master Chief, and more. Also, a lot of Geno talk. I would say Geno, Hayabusa, and Monster Hunter were the most speculated on characters.

Post-Steve speculation I decided to take a break from. I don't really know what happened here.

And now, Post-Sephiroth speculation. Probably going to be a lot of Monster Hunter talk, and now people are talking about other characters from third parties represented in Smash with at least one character, like Eggman and Chun-Li. Also, it may get a bit toxic, as Sephiroth hurt Geno's chances a lot to the point where his feat is basically sealed. A Geno Mii Costume will end the situation quicker.

I think one thing we need to learn from this is that it is nearly impossible to predict what Sakurai will choose. Our rules collapse every single time a character is revealed. Our predictions are shattered too. So Scoliosis Jones and Uni made a great point that we need to be careful on over-speculating about Chun-Li and Eggman, as this does not mean they are guaranteed.

We have three characters left. After that, I am permanently done with Smash speculation. Overall, it has been a very interesting ride, and STEEVE! :D
Of course my wall of text ends up at the end of the page. 🙄

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
Consider we still have mii costumes and whatever spirit event comes next. There are 2 very plausible big de-confirmations that could be coming as Sephiroth would be a great character to release an upgraded Geno mii costume with, and if Puyo Puyo gets a spirit event, I'd be surprised if it weren't next. Get ready to see their "chances" go way up if they make it through the month.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
even though Sephiroth's playable seeing him in Smash made me want to see special bosses in classic mode even more with our heroes fighting their canon adversaries and the opposite. I liked the Ganon and Marx battles in particular.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'd say Jessie, James, and Meowth are like the Disney characters in Kingdom Hearts and the Marvel Characters in Marvel Vs. Capcom
They're not like that at all. J/J/M originate from a video game PROPERTY. Disney KH characters and Marvel MvC characters DON'T.

even though Sephiroth's playable seeing him in Smash made me want to see special bosses in classic mode even more with our heroes fighting their canon adversaries and the opposite. I liked the Ganon and Marx battles in particular.
God, yes. A Sephiroth boss battle that works like Ganondorf's, where you fight his normal version first, then he transforms into Safer Sephiroth would be AMAZING.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, looking at the reactions to Sephiroth, I think we can all say this post was completely 100% on point.

Expanding upon already existing series can definitely still add to the crossover appeal.

As exciting as seeing matchups like Mario vs Sonic or Link vs Cloud can be, seeing secondary or supporting cast characters can be kinda cool too. I'm sure there are many people that'd be down to see Bass fight against Shadow the hedgehog, or would love to see Tifa and Chun Li brawl it out. Even weirder more "out of left field" crossover stuff can be appealing in a "you would never think you'd see these things together" sort of way, like having Waluigi battling Dr. Robotnik, or maybe, I dunno, Jeanne from Bayonetta facing off against Sephiroth.

At the end of the day many franchises have multiple cool and beloved characters, and at the end of the day isn't that what we want, is cool characters?
I love it when new series get added as much as the next guy, but at the end of the day, there are still plenty of beloved and iconic in their own right characters from the 3rd Party series we already have in Smash, and the part that makes me the happiest is that they no longer have to be written off with one general brush stroke, but rather can be looked at as their own characters and on their own merits.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To be honest, I don't think Eggman is gonna be in the Pass, but at the same time I do think we'll see an influx of requests for characters like him, Chun-Li, Alucard and Zero come next Smash. Their last perceived barrier of entry is down and these guys certainly have the popularity to back them up.

Again, I think Sephiroth might be a one-time deal as far as this Pass is concerned, but it is interesting that a some of these characters don't have a lot in their way now.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
To be honest, I don't think Eggman is gonna be in the past, but at the same time I do think we'll see an influx of requests for characters like him, Chun-Li, Alucard and Zero come next Smash. Their last perceived barrier of entry is down and these guys certainly have the popularity to back them up.

Again, I think Sephiroth might be a one-time deal as far as this Pass is concerned, but it is interesting that a some of these characters don't have a lot in their way now.
Characters often just have a lot more support when people think their more likely. (You see a lot of Assist Trophy characters fanbases go dormant after they get deconfirmed). Even if there aren't any more of those characters in this Pass, having that barrier removed will help to build fanbases for a lot more of those characters in the secondary unique 3rd Party tier, and having larger requests will elevate their chances even a little bit for the next game at least.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
I never really bought that characters in similar situations to characters brought into smash become more likely. Like Min-Min makes Shantae more likely because she is a spirit, or Sephiroth makes Chun-li more likely because he's from a returning franchise. I don't really think it's indicative of what's to come and it's more of a false hope kind of thing. Like if they promote Waluigi for example, that doesn't exactly make another assist trophy character more likely in my eyes.

D

Deleted member

Everyone is betting on Eggman for the next Sonic representative now, but what happened to Tails?

Sure, Eggman is the Sonic villain, but Tails is practically known to be Sonic's side-kick.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Characters often just have a lot more support when people think their more likely. (You see a lot of Assist Trophy characters fanbases go dormant after they get deconfirmed). Even if there aren't any more of those characters in this Pass, having that barrier removed will help to build fanbases for a lot more of those characters in the secondary unique 3rd Party tier, and having larger requests will elevate their chances even a little bit for the next game at least.
Yeah - it's not like Sephiroth wasn't popular or well liked, people just... didn't see him as likely.

That's kinda what I think will happen to third parties from existing franchises. Sure, they might still not make it, but the support will probably be there from now on.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
While sephirot wasnt my first.. or second .. or even third final fantasy want (Black mage, terra and Kefka) is honestly very exciting... finally more than 2 friggin songs.. and while final fantasy representation will likely be full final fantasy 7 (spirits and tracks) at least that will be rightfully represented now.

The very least music they could put is like dragon quest, 7 to 8 direct rips. which is still a lot considering what we had before...

And if we are repping ff7 like itshould be repped.. i really hope that they dont pass the oportunity again for a tifa brawler skin and a barret gunner skin. (And maybe an aerith swordfighter skin to take revenge on sephirot?)

Still would also love more FF Heroes as skins :0

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well I still technically haven't gotten a character Right yet

I didn't think Sephiroth was impossible. He was actually on my Radar, He just wasn't at the top of my Prediction list. I did think we'd get some Type of RPG Character considering the Mii Costumes left, and we might have also gotten a Katana character. Sephiroth fits both these models, but I won't say I Predicted him because I wasn't concentrated on Sephiroth at the time

From Some Observations I Have

-In Terms of Indie Characters, Most of the Indies represented are only 1 Popular Game at the moment (that's fully Released). Undertale, Cuphead, Shovel Knight all to extent fit this mold. They have/had Expansions that are released or in Development, but at the moment just one game and haven't full shown to Survive as a Franchise

There's 3 Indie Franchises that have lived on as Franchises. Touhou, Shantae, and Five Nights a Freddy's. 2 of these have had no Presence in Smash yet, and that's kind of Egregious considering how Big FNAF is, and How Big Touhou is in the East. Shantae only has a Spirit, and with stuff like Matt's Silence on Reddit AMA, and Going back to base game content and updating, Shantae could possibly get more

Minecraft might also be seen as an indie, if the Copyright is any indication. However it's unknown at that front, and Nintendo might Recognize that not everyone Recognizes Minecraft as Indie anymore

-If My 201X Theory is still in Play, We'll get at least one more Character that Originated from 2010's. Min-Min and Steve are considered 2010's Character (Steve origin is based on Java release in 2011), But we still haven't gotten that Tourney yet. Besides FNAF which was already mentioned, A Few Prominent Shooter Characters fit this mold. Fortnite, Apex, and Overwatch fit this. There's also Danganropa. Overwatch might be Deconfirmed though

-And following the Same Logic of the 201X Theory, We might also still get a character heavily Based around Projectiles. Reimu from Touhou, Any FPS Franchise, and Potentially KOS-MOS from Xenosaga fit this model

-I'll be honest, With Sephiroth in, I'd be more apprehensive of another RPG Character being in. Not Impossible, but just keep it in mind

-Square will definitely get costumes with Sephiroth being in. In this Fighter Pass, Sega and Capcom currently have not had Costumes added in yet. Namco and Konami had Costumes added. Konami's were completely new with Bomberman

-Sephiroth, Like Steve, is Probably another character that was Planned further than initially expected. He was on that Square leak from 2018, and there been murmurs about him for awhile.

-If the Fighter Pass follows the Same "Save the big stuff for the beginning", than the next Characters are either Smaller in scale or More Controversial. This might make the idea of Characters like Crash less likely, however also consider that 3rd party negotiations are different thing, and that might affect when 3rd party wants their character revealed.

-Sephiroth and Steve kind of Represent the East/West Dynamic that Hero and Banjo did Previously. This time though both the characters are both more universally geared towards both Regions, and aren't as Extreme as Hero and Banjo were.

-For Rumors, Ryu is still in Question, The League leak is Also kind of in question as well. The Falcom leak is also in Question as well. This new 5chan leak remains to be seen.

I Need to see What Sakurai says about how Sephiroth Got in, and I Also need to see the Mii Costumes, but this is my Speculation for right now

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I never really bought that characters in similar situations to characters brought into smash become more likely. Like Min-Min makes Shantae more likely because she is a spirit, or Sephiroth makes Chun-li more likely because he's from a returning franchise. I don't really think it's indicative of what's to come and it's more of a false hope kind of thing. Like if they promote Waluigi for example, that doesn't exactly make another assist trophy character more likely in my eyes.
No, but it means a perceived barrier of entry is broken, even if they're the only ones for that game.

Min Min being promoted doesn't mean there will be more like her, but it means that depending on the character, people can no longer just dismiss them with "they're already a Spirit".

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'd really like a new Sonic character, and a Megaman character is literally in my top 5, but I don't see either happening. Both had their mii costumes return a long time ago.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
BTW i feel more than ever that crash will eventually be one of teh three missing slots.. uniquely due to him being extremly different to MIN MIN, Sephirot and Steve.

I totally could see the rest of teh pass going for:

-Crash/Spyro/Tails
-Rythm Heaven Rep / BOTW Rep / Isaac.
-Morrigan / Sol badguy / Monster Hunter/ Dark Souls Rep.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It just occurred to me that Sephiroth has the first counter since Joker, and even then that's locked behind Arsene and is a simple command block without him. Going by that logic, Sephiroth is actually the first DLC fighter in SSBU to have a "proper" counter.

Faso115

Smash Lord
My bet is that next week Geno and Chocobo costumes are coming back.

Also Sephirot once agains proves the rule that speculation will try to guess the next characters based on the newest reveal. Spirit promotion? All spirit promotions! Villain from third party? All villains from third party!

D

Deleted member

Also Sephirot once agains proves the rule that speculation will try to guess the next characters based on the newest reveal. Spirit promotion? All spirit promotions! Villain from third party? All villains from third party!
True, like not many discussed Eggman and Chun-Li in speculation, until now.

Last edited by a moderator:

PacificFun

Smash Ace

Either CP9 will be announced at the Sephiroth presentation (most likely to me) or it is just referring to him as the 9th DLC fighter.

If it refers to CP9, I would expect its reveal trailer similar to the Arms rep reveal trailer (before it was revealed to be Min Min) or Joker's 1st reveal trailer.
There is no way they're gonna blow their whole load that quick. I would LOVE if they did but I just can't see it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So I decided to make a list of predictions for Mii Costumes.

• Tifa (Brawler)
  • Barrett (Gunner)
  • Aerith (Swordfighter)
  • Geno (Gunner) (Returning)
  • Chocobo Hat (Hat) (Returning)
  • Wild Pick, any Square Enix character (Chrono, Neku, Terra, Bartz, Cid, Black Mage, White Mage, Yuffie, Tidus, Lightning)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What's this company theory people are talking about? It implies that only characters from already existing companies in the game are going to be in the second pass?
Haven't heard it discussed at large in this thread, but I would imagine it's something like that. We already got Nintendo, Microsoft, and Square Enix. Going off of that, Capcom is the more logical next step (Though after the curveballs we've gotten I'm a bit hesitant to adhere to logic). Bandai-Namco and Sega have a decent number of IPs that could be used; Konami too, but their stuff isn't as relevant at the moment. Doubt we'll be getting much more from SNK, after Terry represented literally everything.

Faso115

Smash Lord

Either CP9 will be announced at the Sephiroth presentation (most likely to me) or it is just referring to him as the 9th DLC fighter.

If it refers to CP9, I would expect its reveal trailer similar to the Arms rep reveal trailer (before it was revealed to be Min Min) or Joker's 1st reveal trailer.
Ok, hear me out.

It's a guess who again but with Street fighter. 3 months later, it's Chun-Li.

Ok fine its just too unlikely, especially because it retreads Min-Min (another Chinese girl?) But it would be cool

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's 3 Indie Franchises that have lived on as Franchises. Touhou, Shantae, and Five Nights a Freddy's. 2 of these have had no Presence in Smash yet, and that's kind of Egregious considering how Big FNAF is...
This is probably due to one or two things: The first is that Five Nights at Freddy's seems to be a PC focused series. There are ports of most of the games on the Switch, but I don't think that's where most of the fans are. The second and more likely reason is that FNaF doesn't get that much of a push from Smash fans like Shantae and Shovel Knight did. This might be the case for Undertale as well, but considering how Toby Fox has infiltrated the corporate scene through working on compositions for Pokémon of all franchises, he might not have needed it in the first place.

And of course, Cuphead had Microsoft pushing for it as well.

As for a 2nd unique character for a 3rd party game already in Smash, X is ma boi
Oooh that would bug me so much.

If he has a voice, it's going to be weird next to Mega Man. If he doesn't, it's going to be weird next to Zero. If they say "screw it! Let's give Mega Man a voice too", then it's going to clash with his visual design.

They literally can't win here, but we would have Mega Man X, so that would be nice at least.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
Yeah idk something about Sephiroth's reveal was a bit weird. Don't they usual update the banner alongside the reveal? They did it separately this time. Obviously I'm not gonna try to "expect" anything but maybe there's a possibility of extra reveals. Who knows what corona did to the true schedule, maybe there would've been more fighters by now

andree123

Smash Ace
Here is my mii costume predictions:

Returning:
  • Geno (50%)
  • Chocobo Hat (100%)
New:
  • Barret (Gunner) (100%)
  • Zack Fair (Swordfighter) (75%)
  • Tifa (Brawler) (75%) (Not sure if they're going to use her Advent Children costume)
  • Another character from the Final Fantasy series (50%)

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman

It says 9th "paid DLC", not character pack.

It's much more likely they might be counting the Piranha Plant, since it's no longer free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom