• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
It's always separate. I remember it taking half an hour (EDIT: From reveal to banner update) once or twice.
Yeah it's prob just me getting my hopes up, not that it's stopping me from watching it anyway. Next one could be late February-March. On that note I'm sick of long ranged sword characters so maybe I just pick up Sephiroth and join them.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Yeah it's prob just me getting my hopes up, not that it's stopping me from watching it anyway. Next one could be late February-March. On that note I'm sick of long ranged sword characters so maybe I just pick up Sephiroth and join them.
Man, being a frequent Dr. Mario player, Sephiroth is gonna be a ***** to fight.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord

Either CP9 will be announced at the Sephiroth presentation (most likely to me) or it is just referring to him as the 9th DLC fighter.

If it refers to CP9, I would expect its reveal trailer similar to the Arms rep reveal trailer (before it was revealed to be Min Min) or Joker's 1st reveal trailer.
It's just the usual disclaimer. Nothing from the 9th pack onward will be announced. For Steve they said nothing from the 8th pack forward would be announced.

D

Deleted member

Okay. CP9 in the presentation seems impossible.

Considering we just got Sephiroth at the Game Awards less than a day ago, why not put CP9 there instead of a presentation?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
While we clearly can’t straight up predict characters, I feel as though Hayabusa is looking...pretty good, still.

Not so sure about Dante and Crash, but I don’t really think anything is out of the running. It has, and always does, come down to what Nintendo is trying to do with the DLC.

Sephiroth is Sephiroth. Among the most iconic villains in gaming and from a game that absolutely needed more content in the game. I’m really curious about how much of those rumors are true, because that has../interesting implications for DLC. Is the entire pass going to be made up of characters that just couldn’t make it previously? I wonder who that leaves.

The other question that remains to be answered is Assist Trophy upgrades. Will they happen? Will they not? I’m still not convinced they will, but I would never rule it out as a surprise.

Also just wanted to point out that personally, if there’s any ONE AT upgrade, my bet is Waluigi for the final DLC pick because of the memes.
We've converted Jones to the church of Waluigi! Sephiroth is truly an angel.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Here is my guess for Sephiroth mii costumes:
  • Tifa (brawler)
  • Chocobo (hat)
  • Geno (gunner)
  • Chrono (swordfighter)

And for the remaining 3 fighters
  • Monster Hunter or Chosen Undead
  • Crash
  • Nintendo pick (Pokémon? BOTW2? Next Monolith game?)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You know what I've realized? This was an absolutely terrible addition to Smash. I simply can't believe that Sakurai would make such an appalling decision.

Sephiroth looks so good that he makes Ganondorf even worse in comparison, we'll never have a proper fight between two of the most powerful and diabolical villains in video game history because one of them is gimped. I just can't let this injustice slide until Ganondorf is up to par, please fix this mistake Sakurai, 0/10.

What, were you expecting an angry Geno rant? :yeahboi:

SKX31

Smash Master
So how is everyone thinking of Sephiroth so far?

My opinion. A surprising but welcoming pick.
I'll offer my take from the gameplay perspective mainly, since I don't have much to say on the want angle outside of him being a surprise but a welcome one. (do note that this is 100 % guesswork and not final.):

1. The fact that "long range" has been a major component for 3 of the last 4 characters is a bit strange (and part of a larger trend going back to Shulk, Cloud and Corrin even) It's kinda like they want to focus on a niché that was somewhat neglected before... but are focusing too much on that. It's a bit more of an issue from a competitive perspective since matchups between long-range characters winds up amounting to "Who can play the long-range game optimally and force the other character out of his / her comfort zone?"

It might not be as much of an issue from a casual point of view: while more and more matches will be spammy long range bouts, mistakes, iterms and casual matches in general being more aggressive will lessen the impact. There is a major caveat though: Regardless of one being casual or competitive, another long range fighter might mean that campy players get even more annoying, since now there's another character that might be able to do that.

2. We'll have to see what One Wing / Reunion (Sephiroth's Kingdom Hearts mode) does. The trailer did not show what it does, but one clue might be Dissidia. There, Reunion grants Sephiroth the ability to Glide and access to Heartless Angel. Glide is a pretty safe bet for Smash, considering we just got Elytra with Steve. Heartless Angel is not a safe bet though - how does one program in the "Reduces the opponent to 1 HP" attack in Smash? Still, some attacks were shown off in the trailer after Reunion was revealed to be a thing: Octaslash and Black Materia. Again, we'll have to see what Reunion exactly does.
The really interesting part is if Reunion allows Sephiroth to cancel glides with an attack or float / floatcancels. :ultpeach: / :ultdaisy: are already considered insanely good because they can floatcancel aerials from a shorthop (and thus chain aerials together while skipping the damage penalty to short hop attacks). If Reunion Sephiroth can do anything like that... hoo boy.

3. Masamune's infamously long, but also very, very narrow. Outside of his attacks possibly having a lot of recovery time on them, he might also miss a lot of attacks vs. crouching / pancaking characters. For the Sephiroth player, the key will be to be precise with the sword swings. There are some attacks that have massive coverage though.

4. Shadow Flare (The circling black orbs) might be a really strong anti-zoner tool. Sure, we don't know how much damage they do yet etc. But we do know that they detonate on their own, and thus zoners such as :ultsamus: and :ultsimon: will have to stop what they're doing to shield / dodge. Even against characters without a projectile Shadow Flare's going to force people to stop. Mewtwoking discusses Shadow Flare in some real detail here.

5. Octaslash (The rapid sword swings) have an arrow showing the direction the attack will go in the frames before the attacks come out. Mewtwoking discusses that at the 11 minute mark in his video. The fact that the arrow can go straight up suggests that Octaslash is Sephiroth's Up B akin to a Mii Swordfighter Up B.

Seph.png

My predictions are:

These characters will probably have a difficult time vs. Sephiroth:

• :ultroy: :Does not have a good disadvantage state at all, and Sephiroth can comfortably stay outside of Roy's "bear-hug" death zone.
  • Most zoners such as :ultsamus: : Shadow Flare and Black Materia might be useful counter-zoner tools, and Sephiroth's got a Counter which looks like a potential Reflector. Ergo, Sephiroth's probably going to be able to force closer interactions with most projectile characters.
  • :ultmario: / :ultluigi: (Lul of course) : Both Mario Bros. want to get in on people and string together stuff... but Masamune might as well be a wall in itself. If Mario can't reflect Shadow Flare with Cape it becomes even more annoying for the plumber.

Sephiroth will probably have to be very cautious vs. these characters:

• :ultpikachu: / :ultpichu: : Pikachu is the prime pancaker of the cast, and a lot of its attacks go underneath stuff. Including Masamune presumably. Sephiroth's tall frame makes it easier to string together stuff vs. him too. Same goes for Pichu. Honorable mention go to :ultkirby:, :ultjigglypuff: and :ultgnw: because of the same reason.
  • :ultzss:: She's adept at getting around stuff, and Flip Jump's always difficult to predict. If Sephiroth gets buried then ZSS' Up B might finish him off quickly, depending on his weight etc.
  • :ultpacman: : Can probably annoy Sephiroth with Hydrant and Trampoline. Bonus Fruit are unpredictable, A really difficult character for many to pin down, and Sephiroth might not be an exception.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
A Tifa Brawler and a Barret Gunner are no-brainers. Chocobo's definitely coming back, and Geno's likely returning as well. If Sephiroth gets the average amount of Miis instead of one less like with Hero, either Mallow to round out Geno or Crono as a Swordfighter.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
y'all just leaving out Aerith for the costumes huh

You know what? I think we're looking at this the wrong way.

Now, what did the last two trailers have in common? Yeah, that's right.

Mario ****ing died. On the year of his anniversary, no less.

So here's the real, true, 100% surefire way we'll find our last three: who can kill Mario better? :4pacman:
So this is how Kenshiro wins

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

So here's the real, true, 100% surefire way we'll find our last three: who can kill Mario better? :4pacman:
Maxwell Scribblenaut can cut the theatrics and just give him the "dead" adjective. Or do the theatrics, he has options.

D

Deleted member

Oh no, I just realized that :ultsteve: is going to have a difficult time against :ultsephiroth:, because his range is very lacking.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Here is my mii costume predictions:

Returning:
  • Geno (50%)
  • Chocobo Hat (100%)
New:
  • Barret (Gunner) (100%)
  • Zack Fair (Swordfighter) (75%)
  • Tifa (Brawler) (75%) (Not sure if they're going to use her Advent Children costume)
  • Another character from the Final Fantasy series (50%)
Good one. My prediction is this:

Geno (Premium Gunner)
Chocobo Hat
Moogle Hat
Barret or Vincent (Gunner)
Tifa (Brawler)
Lloyd (Swordfighter)

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'll offer my take from the gameplay perspective mainly, since I don't have much to say on the want angle outside of him being a surprise but a welcome one. (do note that this is 100 % guesswork and not final.):

1. The fact that "long range" has been a major component for 3 of the last 4 characters is a bit strange (and part of a larger trend going back to Shulk, Cloud and Corrin even) It's kinda like they want to focus on a niché that was somewhat neglected before... but are focusing too much on that. It's a bit more of an issue from a competitive perspective since matchups between long-range characters winds up amounting to "Who can play the long-range game optimally and force the other character out of his / her comfort zone?"

It might not be as much of an issue from a casual point of view: while more and more matches will be spammy long range bouts, mistakes, iterms and casual matches in general being more aggressive will lessen the impact. There is a major caveat though: Regardless of one being casual or competitive, another long range fighter might mean that campy players get even more annoying, since now there's another character that might be able to do that.

2. We'll have to see what One Wing / Reunion (Sephiroth's Kingdom Hearts mode) does. The trailer did not show what it does, but one clue might be Dissidia. There, Reunion grants Sephiroth the ability to Glide and access to Heartless Angel. Glide is a pretty safe bet for Smash, considering we just got Elytra with Steve. Heartless Angel is not a safe bet though - how does one program in the "Reduces the opponent to 1 HP" attack in Smash? Still, some attacks were shown off in the trailer after Reunion was revealed to be a thing: Octaslash and Black Materia. Again, we'll have to see what Reunion exactly does.
The really interesting part is if Reunion allows Sephiroth to cancel glides with an attack or float / floatcancels. :ultpeach: / :ultdaisy: are already considered insanely good because they can floatcancel aerials from a shorthop (and thus chain aerials together while skipping the damage penalty to short hop attacks). If Reunion Sephiroth can do anything like that... hoo boy.

3. Masamune's infamously long, but also very, very narrow. Outside of his attacks possibly having a lot of recovery time on them, he might also miss a lot of attacks vs. crouching / pancaking characters. For the Sephiroth player, the key will be to be precise with the sword swings. There are some attacks that have massive coverage though.

4. Shadow Flare (The circling black orbs) might be a really strong anti-zoner tool. Sure, we don't know how much damage they do yet etc. But we do know that they detonate on their own, and thus zoners such as :ultsamus: and :ultsimon: will have to stop what they're doing to shield / dodge. Even against characters without a projectile Shadow Flare's going to force people to stop. Mewtwoking discusses Shadow Flare in some real detail here.

5. Octaslash (The rapid sword swings) have an arrow showing the direction the attack will go in the frames before the attacks come out. Mewtwoking discusses that at the 11 minute mark in his video. The fact that the arrow can go straight up suggests that Octaslash is Sephiroth's Up B akin to a Mii Swordfighter Up B.

View attachment 295141

My predictions are:

• :ultroy: :Does not have a good disadvantage state at all, and Sephiroth can comfortably stay outside of Roy's "bear-hug" death zone.
  • Most zoners such as :ultsamus: : Shadow Flare and Black Materia might be useful counter-zoner tools, and Sephiroth's got a Counter which looks like a potential Reflector. Ergo, Sephiroth's probably going to be able to force closer interactions with most projectile characters.
  • :ultmario: / :ultluigi: (Lul of course) : Both Mario Bros. want to get in on people and string together stuff... but Masamune might as well be a wall in itself. If Mario can't reflect Shadow Flare with Cape it becomes even more annoying for the plumber.

• :ultpikachu: / :ultpichu: : Pikachu is the prime pancaker of the cast, and a lot of its attacks go underneath stuff. Including Masamune presumably. Sephiroth's tall frame makes it easier to string together stuff vs. him too. Same goes for Pichu. Honorable mention go to :ultkirby:, :ultjigglypuff: and :ultgnw: because of the same reason.
  • :ultzss:: She's adept at getting around stuff, and Flip Jump's always difficult to predict. If Sephiroth gets buried then ZSS' Up B might finish him off quickly, depending on his weight etc.
  • :ultpacman: : Can probably annoy Sephiroth with Hydrant and Trampoline. Bonus Fruit are unpredictable, A really difficult character for many to pin down, and Sephiroth might not be an exception.
For Heartless Angel, If they did Implement it, I Imagine they might make the Move do 999% Damage or Something like that. The point of the move is to Get you Very Close to Death, and if you get hit once more, you're done.

Also on Topic of Dissida, I do wonder if Sephiroth will have the Black Materia move where he summons a Meteor. Surprisingly we don't have a Move in Smash that has an character summoning a Meteor Down, so it would be cool

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here is my mii costume predictions:

Returning:
  • Geno (50%)
  • Chocobo Hat (100%)
New:
  • Barret (Gunner) (100%)
  • Zack Fair (Swordfighter) (75%)
  • Tifa (Brawler) (75%) (Not sure if they're going to use her Advent Children costume)
  • Another character from the Final Fantasy series (50%)
Returning:
Geno
Chocobo

New:
Barret (Gunner)
Neku (Brawler)
2B (Swordfighter)
The Knight from Hollow Knight (PreMiium Swordfighter with Sealed Vessel remix, essentially soft confirming the LoL rumor) if not then Monokuma (PreMiium Brawler with a Danganronpa medley)

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman

"Hey there plumber boy!

Your worst nightmare has arrived!"

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
Reposting from the Sora thread:

FWIW, Imran Khan, who was the first journalist to leak that Nintendo had been in talks with Disney about Sora, thinks Sephiroth is his "replacement":

How bad is sephiroth for sora’s chances
Extremely bad

Exclusionarily bad

Maybe it's just me, but it feels like Sora was wanted and they couldn't make a deal so Sephiroth happened instead.

I'd find it really odd to have both in the same pass.
this is also my educated guess

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

View attachment 295141

My predictions are:

Sir you sold me on Sephy even more because by god I hate the Samus matchup

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
Reposting from the Sora thread:
FWIW, Imran Khan, who was the first journalist to leak that Nintendo had been in talks with Disney about Sora, thinks Sephiroth is his "replacement":
Yeah I can see that. I think most people knew Sora would either be impossible to get or be much more expensive than literally any other viable character.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
"Okay, so CacoMallow hasn't been disproven just yet, and..."

But seriously, let's hope we can finally bury this thing once and for all.
I’m surprised it somehow didn’t die when Vault Boy was revealed as a Mii Costume since Bethesda on board but not with a character.

Edit: I think it died when Terry’s costumes were revealed personally.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So if Sephiroth comes with Geno and Chocobo Miis, the only 3P Miis from 4 still missing will be Lloyd and Monster Hunter.

y'all just leaving out Aerith for the costumes huh
Well...she's not a brawler, gunner or swordfighter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom