• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Touhou that right there set this a fake, sadly i don't see touhou in smash sephiroth became a reality and Kos-Mos i hope but again Sakurai have to disscuss that with Namco and Monolift at the same time, if she makes it it will revive XENOSAGA as a whole, that right there would be EPIC.
What are you trying to say? Come on, you can do it!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Sakurai have to disscuss that with Namco and Monolift at the same time
Just gonna casually point out that Namco is helping with Ultimate, so talking to that company isn't gonna be hard.

And Monolith is owned by Nintendo, so it's not that big a hurdle either.

Just because two companies need to be involved doesn't mean a character is impossible. Steve and Banjo prove it and they had far more hurdles than KOS-MOS due to language barriers and continental distances.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
One thing to point out- historically after certain reveals, the fanbase latches onto more picks following that same format.

I think that’s very premature.

Joker? Everybody is gonna be unexpected 3rd parties. Terry? We’re gonna get a bunch of smaller 3rd parties. Byleth? We’re gonna get way more 1st parties. Steve? The budget is blown! Only 1st parties/cheap 3rd parties.

Are more characters from existing series in the running now? Sure, though we won’t know until they get revealed.

Basically, I’d be careful with suddenly now saying Eggman is a front runner. With the unpredictable nature of these reveals, it seems like that would make the rest of the pass...predictable, to assume 3rd, or 2nd unique characters from 3rd parties are coming going forward.

Something to chew on, is all I mean.

⛧Lord Metallium⛧

Smash Apprentice
Just gonna casually point out that Namco is helping with Ultimate, so talking to that company isn't gonna be hard.

And Monolith is owned by Nintendo, so it's not that big a hurdle either.

Just because two companies need to be involved doesn't mean a character is impossible. Steve and Banjo prove it and they had far more hurdles than KOS-MOS due to language barriers and continental distances.
Still Kos-Mos is one of my most wanted, i don't know to this point.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
One thing to point out- historically after certain reveals, the fanbase latches onto more picks following that same format.

Joker? Everybody is gonna be unexpected 3rd parties. Terry? We’re gonna get a bunch of smaller 3rd parties. Byleth? We’re gonna get way more 1st parties. Steve? The budget is blown! Only 1st parties/cheap 3rd parties.

Are more characters from existing series in the running now? Sure, though we won’t know until they get revealed.

Basically, I’d be careful with suddenly now saying Eggman is a front runner. With the unpredictable nature of these reveals, it seems like that would make the rest of the pass...predictable, to assume 3rd, or 2nd unique characters from 3rd parties are coming going forward.

Also to add on to this, just because something is possible doesn't mean it has to happen.

Yes, third-party franchises double-dipping is now something we can consider, but that doesn't mean Eggman and Chun-Li are suddenly guarantees.

That's a big shortcoming of the Smash speculation scene; we just too quickly into conclusions and it ends up steering us the wrong way.

Possibilities are not guarantees and that's a hill I'll choose to die on for every single Smash reveal.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Raiden doesn't have this problem, just as Sephiroth didn't either. His spirit board content could be entirely unique very easily because of other than Raiden's own spirit, there is no Revengeance spirits in the game. A spirit board for Raiden would just be the 9 bosses included in MGR (Including Khamsin from the DLC) without any base game spirits.
I mean, I'd be down for that but...Sephiroth, Raiden AND Hayabusa in the same pass? What is this, The Katana Pass?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have a bold prediction.

Our next characters will be... From a video game.

Prove me wrong, fools.

⛧Lord Metallium⛧

Smash Apprentice
Smash speculation has always just been a (enjoyable) waste of time; we're never right, at least not when there aren't any leaks to think about. I see it more as just sitting back and enjoying the ride.
If only a Fighter's pass is confirmed we can be much happier but yeah 3 last spots :(

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Honestly, I am going to quit Smash speculation once this pass ends.

We're never reaching a golden age for Smash ever again in a long, long time.
I keep saying this; you aren't topping Ultimate's roster. Even if you just stopped all DLC, and Sephy was the last one, you still wouldn't pull it off. "EVERYONE IS HERE!" is pretty much impossible to hope to pull off again. It's just not gonna work out. Sakurai said as much and I think we all know that whether we admit it to ourselves or not. I don't know what the next Smash is gonna look like but what I do know is that it's development is gonna be similar to Weekend at Bernie's in many respects - I hope Sakurai doesn't force himself to be a part of it, poor *******. When this is done, it's done. I'm in no hurry to see it be over, I'd rather enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So...

I know it is very dangerous to call things very likely, but I am going on the deep end.

Yes, I feel that it is very likely that we will get Monster Hunter on March.

Of course, it is not guaranteed, but so many things are going in Monster Hunter's favor for a March reveal.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So many rules broken, sooner or later Sakurai is going to have to bite the bullet and break the “no anime” rule and finally put Goku, Captain N, and Meowth & Team Rocket in Smash.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So many rules broken, sooner or later Sakurai is going to have to bite the bullet and break the “no anime” rule and finally put Goku, Captain N, and Meowth & Team Rocket in Smash.
I mean -
Captain N could probably make do with the R.O.B. clause, Meowth on his own is fair game...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I don't want to jump to conclusions regarding non-protagonists too quickly. We literally just got one, yes, but like
  • Cloud
  • Midgar
  • Two songs, neither are remixes
  • Two Spirits, neither of which have a Spirit Battle or original artwork
You call this representation? Final Fantasy might as well be a new world, especially if Sephiroth ends up representing the entire series and not just FF7.

That being said, it's too early to tell. If it's still just Sephiroth, then go crazy. If he still has the usual amount of content, I think the rest of the DLC will also be bringing in new content. If that's the case, then I'm most confident in:
  • Doctor Eggman. The other iconic third-party villain, with a whole plethora of Badniks and robots to act as his Spirit Board and a lot of Sonic tracks that are missing. Kinda like Sephiroth, but his series is a little less neglected.
  • Bandana Waddle Dee. A bit less wiggle room than Eggman, but I think he can squeeze in. Modern Kirby's representation has some room to be desired, and there's a fair bit that BWD could bring with him. Not as closely tied, but if Sephiroth brings general FF content, I think he could work too.
Huh. That list was shorter than I expected.
I see your secondary unique 3rd Party and popularly requested 1st Party and I add on another of each.
  • Chun-Li: Literally the only Street Fighter songs we have are the character themes from the variations of Street Fighter II. She could bring her own stage from her home series, as well as all the music from literally any other game after the variations of SFII. SF has no shortage of remaining characters which could populate her Spirit Board as well, and Min Min even showed us that Spirit Boards could reuse spirits if need be.
  • Dixie Kong: Barely any content from both DKC3 and Tropical Freeze, both of which are the games which have her in the strongest roles. Tons of stage choices and several enemies from both of those games which could easily populate the Spirit Board. Once again, Min Min showed us that Spirit Boards could reuse base game Spirits if need be as well.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Those are really two different rules there.

Meowth/Jesse/James iare actually fine because they've appeared in the games and Pokemon still originated as a Pokemon property. Goku originates in Dragon Ball, which is a manga.

Like, a ton of Sephiroth's stuff comes from Advent Children. So they clearly don't mind pulling from other media sources, as long as the PROPERTY is a video game property.

I still want a Captain N Mii Gunner costume though...

You call this representation? Final Fantasy might as well be a new world, especially if Sephiroth ends up representing the entire series and not just FF7.
Well, if nothing else, we could get versions of Prelude, Main Theme and Chocobo Theme, all of which are used throughout the series including FF7.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
This pass has been nothing but one big monkey paw for me

Because it’s concerning out of all the characters Sakuria picked to upgrade form a spirit, he picked Min Min
form all the characters to pick another 3rd party character form, he picked Finial Fantasy again

And it’s becoming less and less likely he will pick another form these spots, so yeah...

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
You've certainly lasted longer than me. Terry is where it became impossible; and it's been a lot more fun since then.
The thing is a 2nd fighters pass opened the window for a lot more of the outside choices initially, like Dante for example. So the "frontrunners" that fans tried to expect would mainly be choices from that group and whatever frontrunners weren't in FP1 like Hayabusa.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm thinking that CP10 and CP11 will be a bit smaller in scale; Not necessarily because of budget, but because FP1 had it's heavy hitters in the beginning of the pass. We had a recent breakout hit, a Japanese cultural icon, and a long-standing Smash request, followed by... An influential but still fairly niche fighting game guy, and someone who wasn't even out yet when the pass was chosen. Maybe CP9 will be smaller too, but I'm not sure; FP1 didn't have that extra sixth character.

Min Min is a bit of an outlier, though. She feels almost like Piranha Plant in that she's a smaller first-party followed by massive third-parties. Going off of the theory that she was originally intended for E3, or at least was pushed back to it before it's cancellation, I think the guessing game would've tried to drum up attention for her to maximize the positive reception, but she would've been blown out of the water by Steve. I think she was kind of a tag-along character in terms of impact, much like the plant.

But yeah, it would make the most sense to put the big guys at the beginning rather than the end, to get more butts in the seats.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This pass has been nothing but one big monkey paw for me

Because it’s concerning out of all the characters Sakuria picked to upgrade form a spirit, he picked Min Min
form all the characters to pick another 3rd party character form, he picked Finial Fantasy again

And it’s becoming less and less likely he will pick another form these spots, so yeah...
There's the possibility Min Min was an exception since her inclusion was under the request of Kosuke Yabuki.

D

Deleted member

I uh........ No offence , but I think the "Assist Trophies can’t be upgraded to DLC fighters" rule precedent is more likely to be broken way before we start getting non-video game characters.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That's the only rule he has straight-up deconfirmed.

We're not getting a non-gaming character. That's final.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Meowth/Jesse/James iare actually fine because they've appeared in the games and Pokemon still originated as a Pokemon property. Goku originates in Dragon Ball, which is a manga.
Yeah, I'd say Jessie, James, and Meowth are like the Disney characters in Kingdom Hearts and the Marvel Characters in Marvel Vs. Capcom: They don't originate from video games, but their impact on gaming is still substantial enough to warrant their appearance in a celebration of gaming.

Mind you, I wouldn't add Mickey or Wolverine specifically since crossovers are better represented by their original characters (because the crossover characters are representing their own stuff), but if Sora and Amingo were to be added, I don't really see a reason to stop them from making cameos and whatnot.

For a playable example, I'd say Scroodge McDuck from DuckTales. It's a bit more arguable, but Duck Tales is still regarded as an NES classic today, so I think that he would fit in if they wanted to add him.

D

Deleted member

Post-Joker speculation was probably the most wild times of speculation. There were so many possible characters, it was crazy. Though later on it was dominated by Hero talk, as Nintendo themselves accidently leaked Hero. Though for some reason I was a firm believer that Hero would never be in. Hinata and tehponycorn put me to my senses.

I took a break from speculation after Hero and Banjo were revealed, so I am unsure of what post-Hero and Banjo speculation was like. But speculation would still leak on from where I was at, so I know a bit about the following:

Post-Terry speculation was a buildup. Everyone was expecting a huge third party to end the pass, such as Dante, Master Chief, Doomguy, Reimu or KOS-MOS, but then boom, Byleth.

Post-Byleth speculation was probably filled with a lot of Byleth salt, but it was revealed that Fighter Pass 2 was a thing, so a lot of people speculated about that. First party discussion started to become more prevalent. Then it was revealed that an ARMS character would be in. I was still in my break, so I missed a lot of that, but I am sure it was pretty dreadful.

Post-Min Min speculation is where my break ended, and where I began to speculate again. It was filled with a lot of first party debates, like Rex and Pyra. Third parties were also on the rise, and people started talking about Crash, Dante, Monster Hunter, Hayabusa, Master Chief, and more. Also, a lot of Geno talk. I would say Geno, Hayabusa, and Monster Hunter were the most speculated on characters.

Post-Steve speculation I decided to take a break from. I don't really know what happened here.

And now, Post-Sephiroth speculation. Probably going to be a lot of Monster Hunter talk, and now people are talking about other characters from third parties represented in Smash with at least one character, like Eggman and Chun-Li. Also, it may get a bit toxic, as Sephiroth hurt Geno's chances a lot to the point where his feat is basically sealed. A Geno Mii Costume will end the situation quicker.

I think one thing we need to learn from this is that it is nearly impossible to predict what Sakurai will choose. Our rules collapse every single time a character is revealed. Our predictions are shattered too. So Scoliosis Jones and Uni made a great point that we need to be careful on over-speculating about Chun-Li and Eggman, as this does not mean they are guaranteed.

We have three characters left. After that, I am permanently done with Smash speculation. Overall, it has been a very interesting ride, and STEEVE! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom