• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I'm curious about the Miis because Tifa, Barret, Chocobo and Geno are the obvious choices and I wonder what others remain in this pack
Lloyd
I might as well mention now I was lowkey expecting an RPG character since he was next in line after Heihachi and Gil

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Ultimate DLC seems like it's really hard to predict, so from now on I will expect the opposite of what the current "most likely" is lol
I think the best thing to do is figure out how exactly the next character will be unlike the last.
:ultminmin vs. :ultsteve:: Minecraft is much more iconic, not already represented, and third-party.
:ultsteve: vs. :ultsephiroth:: Final Fantasy VII is from the 90s and already had a fighter. Unlike everyone else in FP1/2 so far, Sephiroth is his game's main antagonist.

So if someone like Eggman is coming, they will not directly follow Sephiroth.

Shroob

Sup?
Lloyd
I might as well mention now I was lowkey expecting an RPG character since he was next in line after Heihachi and Gil
If we get Lloyd, Chocobo AND Geno all in one fell swoop, the that'd be a hell of a coup de grace.

....and then everyone would just scream MonHun for the next 2 and a half months and ***** about how bored they were.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Now that we're officially in the second half of the pass, I think the odds are a lot higher for us to see a few more "Min Min characters". Basically, characters that likely won't cause the internet to explode (and I mean that in a good way. Not like Byleth did).

The next bundle is arguably the best time to reveal one of those characters, especially since it's wedged in-between TGAs and E3. Not much is going on around that time.
I think FP11 is fated to be something like this, unfortunately. Which will subject it to a lot of undeserved backlash. Not that the character itself will inherently be divisive (though maybe they will be), just the fact of being a more low-key addition coming last and destroying remaining hopes.

I still think we've probably got another heavy hitter left, and a mid-tier (not necessarily in that order; it'll be interesting to see what they do for the character that is/was originally scheduled for E3 2021). Then closing out on the lower side.

Of course it's Smash, so literally everything I just said could turn out being wrong.

Lloyd
Bold to expect a non-Square character in this pack.

ZelDan

Smash Master
So let's do some maths.

March 26th: Direct Mini, ARMs confirmed

June 29th: Min Min release date

October 13th: Steve release date

December 17th: Presumably Sephiroth release date, could change if not a day-of release

Between the mini Direct and Min Min's unveiling, there were 93 days.

Between Min Min coming out and Steve coming out, there was a 106 day gap.

Between Steve coming out and presumably Sephiroth, there's a 65 day gap.

I assume Min Min and Steve took long-ish to come out due to the mentioned development troubles(Min Min's arms/COVID moving to a work from home setting), and Steve's stage gimmick,

Honest to god, March is a very, very likely, if not extremely likely spot for CP9 to drop. If Sephiroth drops on December 17th, and we hit March 1st, that'll be 74 days, which is well within the average release schedule... I'm kinda feeling something early in March, hell, I'd bet money on it.
A character releasing in March would also works since March is a few months before E3, which will likely be when we get CP10, giving a few months between CP9 and Cp10.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Hmmm my guesses for the DLC moving forward

2021 Character A: Nintendo character in March, somewhat popular but some will find underwhelming
2021 Character B: Third Party Surprise for E3/Nintendo Mid-year Direct
2021 Character C: Nintendo character to end the pass in Oct/Nov, long-requested

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's kind of funny to look back at Smash 4 discussion now. Back then, one of the biggest wants was for more villains and many were disappointed that we only got :4bowserjr: while Wolf got the axe. Ultimate? We have :ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultbowserjr::ultridley::ultkrool::ultwolf::ultdarksamus::ultpiranha: and now :ultsephiroth:.

We've definitely come a long way since those days, it would be funny to tell someone back then that we'd triple our villain roster and get one of the most iconic ones to boot.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Y'know what's funny is that with these growing third-parties and emergent series possibilities Namco still only has one character
When Nintendo said they wouldn't get preferential treatment they MEANT it

But really though, the more I think about it, the more I understand why Namco doesn't really get anything. I mean, it's not like they are codeveloping the game out of the goodness of their hearts, they are doing it because Nintendo is paying them to, and looking at general manager Harada's support of the Switch whenever Nintendo money isn't directly involved, it's not hard to see why they don't get any favours.

Shroob

Sup?
It's kind of funny to look back at Smash 4 discussion now. Back then, one of the biggest wants was for more villains and many were disappointed that we only got :4bowserjr: while Wolf got the axe. Ultimate? We have :ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultbowserjr::ultridley::ultkrool::ultwolf::ultdarksamus::ultpiranha: and now :ultsephiroth:.

We've definitely come a long way since those days, it would be funny to tell someone back then that we'd triple our villain roster and get one of the most iconic ones to boot.
Is a Plant really a villain?

1607680077850.png

Yes I am questioning the sapience and sentience of a carnivorous plant and none of you can stop me

7NATOR

Smash Master
Okay so after today, Can a Character like Shadow be taken more seriously?

I Know he's an Assist, but I think after today there's more in favor in him being an option as potential character. I guess I could also mention Tails and Eggman since people are more prone to these two since they aren't Assists

D

Deleted member

In 3D World the potted ones help out as an item. Given that’s the one in Smash I’d say Piranha Plant is a bonafide protagonist :4pacman:.

Shroob

Sup?

2021 Character A: Nintendo character in March, somewhat popular but some will find underwhelming
Still think it'll be MonHun in March lol. The "Evidence" is there(It's not evidence just speculation).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Don't forget Zombie and Enderman

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
So this was found, a post from October 6th, right after the Steve presentation.
Yes, from 5chan.
Make of that what you will.

39 :名無しさん必死だな:2020/10/06(火) 02:04:48.28 ID:aZ22kCgS0.net
ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
残りはこの2体と東方の霊夢とゼノサーガのKOSMOS
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

Not really Sony reps, but Sephiroth and Crash are coming.
The remainings are these two and Reimu from Touhou and KOSMOS from Xenosaga.
The lineup is trying way too hard to play to the crowd so it won't be pretty.
Unfortunately, there won't be any promotions from Mii costumes.

http://anago.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/ghard/1601895454/39

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Yes, from 5chan.

ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

Interesting lineup/10.

Can't say I'd dislike any of these choices at all but it's a leak, treat it as such.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So let's do some maths.

March 26th: Direct Mini, ARMs confirmed

June 29th: Min Min release date

October 13th: Steve release date

December 17th: Presumably Sephiroth release date, could change if not a day-of release

Between the mini Direct and Min Min's unveiling, there were 93 days.

Between Min Min coming out and Steve coming out, there was a 106 day gap.

Between Steve coming out and presumably Sephiroth, there's a 65 day gap.

I assume Min Min and Steve took long-ish to come out due to the mentioned development troubles(Min Min's arms/COVID moving to a work from home setting), and Steve's stage gimmick,

Honest to god, March is a very, very likely, if not extremely likely spot for CP9 to drop. If Sephiroth drops on December 17th, and we hit March 1st, that'll be 74 days, which is well within the average release schedule... I'm kinda feeling something early in March, hell, I'd bet money on it.
Yeah, March is probably when we’re getting the next character. Especially since the new Smash Amiibo drop then. Amiibo theory’s been pretty spot-on.

I could see this happening. Maybe replace the next character with a smaller third party like Hayabusa or Adol.

I have a pretty good feeling the last character will be Nintendo though. Someone from Zelda would make sense. It’s a big anniversary year for the series, it could maybe tie into BOTW2 & it’ll appease the long standing fan complaint about Zelda’s character pool. My hope is for fish waifu, Mipha. But Impa could be cool too.

D

Deleted member

Yes, from 5chan.

ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

I will pog so hard if we get KOS-MOS

Eldrake

Smash Lord
So imagine being me, both unwilling to watch TGA after considering it bad for a few years AND unable to watch it too, deciding to go to sleep but before doing so bookmarking https://www.smashbros.com/en_GB/movie/index.html so that at the very least the title can leave it vague and I get as few spoilers as possible. As I load my computer, I think "The title will probably tell us who it is. Maybe it's Crash, but who are we kidding it's going to be Jonesy."

Then the very first movie title that pops up on that movie page? One-Winged Angel. My reaction was an astounding "What the ****?"

I.D.

Smash Lord
Yes, from 5chan.

ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

It's going to be REALLY funny if the RTC thread gets both their most likely character and least likely* character at the same time, like, beyond getting both Banjo and Steve tier.

*also the most overrated at the same time, no, I don't know how that works

7NATOR

Smash Master
It's going to be REALLY funny if the RTC thread gets both their most likely character and least likely* character at the same time, like, beyond getting both Banjo and Steve tier.

*also the most overrated at the same time, no, I don't know how that works
Wait Who's the RTC Least Likely character from here (Was it Sephiroth?, or was it Reimu or KOS-MOS? I assume Crash was most likely)

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yes, from 5chan.

ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

I can see Crash & even Reimu, but KOS-MOS would be such an odd pick. Nothing to promote, no particularly strong fan demand, the Xenosaga games aren’t super beloved (maybe that’s different in Japan?) & have easily been eclipsed by Xenoblade in popularity. The only way I can see that happening is if one of Sakurai’s Namco buddies like begged for it to happen or something.

What crowd are they talking about too? PlayStation fans?

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Yes, from 5chan.

ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

I don't want to believe in this reality because of how good Reimu, my number 1 most wanted, getting in after I already got one of my top 10 (a new FF rep, which Sephiroth obviously fufill), but the fact that Sephiroth is in tells me that nothing is really impossible. Crash would also be very cool.

KOS-MOS would feel weird to have after Steve, Sephiroth, Reimu, and Crash tho, but hey, nothing is impossible.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
The thought of Reimu in Ultimate style is a bit frightening.

View attachment 295087

Yes, I intentionally picked a ZUN pic despite her having frankly nicer canon depictions.
Imagine if all the Touhou characters getting in as spirits all get nice new art in the overall style of Ultimate, except Sakuya who just gets her EoSD portrait.

D

Deleted member

You could tell me Mickey Mouse is getting in and as long as it was inside a Sephiroth leak I wouldn’t be able to completely dismiss the possibility. Honestly feels like the first character since Piranha Plant that nobody saw coming, in a good way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I have a personal theory with what Sephiroth's reveal means...

Now that we know that third party franchises can have multiple reps that aren't echo fighters, there's some fans that probably think characters such as Eggman and Chun-Li are very likely the Sega and possibly the Capcom rep. However these characters don't really have very good content for their spirit board which is already taken by the base game spirits relating to their franchise. Street Fighter 2 and Sonic have a lot of spirits already, so there's not much new content to add in there.

Raiden doesn't have this problem, just as Sephiroth didn't either. His spirit board content could be entirely unique very easily because of other than Raiden's own spirit, there is no Revengeance spirits in the game. A spirit board for Raiden would just be the 9 bosses included in MGR (Including Khamsin from the DLC) without any base game spirits.

Therefore, I believe that Raiden is one of the most likely characters at the moment.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I can see Crash & even Reimu, but KOS-MOS would be such an odd pick. Nothing to promote, no particularly strong fan demand, the Xenosaga games aren’t super beloved (maybe that’s different in Japan?) & have easily been eclipsed by Xenoblade in popularity. The only way I can see that happening is if one of Sakurai’s Namco buddies like begged for it to happen or something.
Why someone from Namco when you already have the enemy at home?

Okay serious talk, as impressive as calling Sephiroth of all things is, this is still a monkey on a typewriter at the end of the day. Similar things have happened already.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You could tell me Mickey Mouse is getting in and as long as it was inside a Sephiroth leak I wouldn’t be able to completely dismiss the possibility. Honestly feels like the first character since Piranha Plant that nobody saw coming, in a good way.
I think Rogersbase made a video where he discussed another FF7 Character getting in due to the Remake. I'm not entiringly sure since I think he was more on the Geno wagon than Sephiroth

Also while on this note, One thing I Like to mention. Fatmanonice I think might have been on to something

His Predictions for the Pass when none of the FP2 Characters were none were Waluigi, Dante, Crash, Master Chief, Lloyd, and Geno

However in the Case of Chief and Geno, he said he still heard names of Steve and Sephiroth, but did not predict them. Both these characters ended up getting in, and it's looking like Chief and Geno won't either, Which might be kind of Ironic, and also very tragic

Shroob

Sup?
Why someone from Namco when you already have the enemy at home?

Okay serious talk, as impressive as calling Sephiroth of all things is, this is still a monkey on a typewriter at the end of the day. Similar things have happened already.
Is it really that impressive even? I ****ing jokingly called Sephiroth back when Sakurai posted this PotD

1607682189848.png

Sephiroth's one of the most iconic villains of all time, it's like you said, monkeys on a typewriter.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Yes, from 5chan.

ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

I definitely think this will be an interesting leak to discuss for a while, as it talks about characters we rarely ever talk about in this thread. But being honest, I don't think this is going to be accurate at all. The fact its from 5chan, a site to my knowledge that hasn't produced an accurate leak for smash is a big red flag. The fact they claim to somehow know 4 characters months in advance, despite the fact most leakers now a days barely know 1 character a week in advance is also a huge red flag. Especially considering we know Harada/Nintendo have started cracking down hard a leaks, only for a person to somehow get not just the next character, but the entire fighter pass (including a character who probably isn't even in development yet). If they get like KOS MOS or Reimu right, maybe this could be real. But otherwise, so far they got one lucky guess (like other 4chan leaks in the west), so I am not holding my breath. Interesting line up at the very least though, other than Crash, they didn't go for the usual fake leak characters.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Imagine we predict Sephiroth only giving us 2 more songs and they instead give us the entire Final Fantasy 7 soundtrack.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Yes, from 5chan.

ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

5chan's really got a thing for Reimu and KOS-MOS, don't they. Neither are strangers to "leaks" from there.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Alright! Seems like we got a good shakeup for speculation! My impressions on yesterday:

• On one hand... I do have to admit I'm a bit disappointed in multiple characters from the same third party franchise - both because I'd rather have new ones and because two of my MWs got the boot yesterday. Also because FF is more than just FFVII.
  • On the other hand, it's ****ing Sephiroth and the trailer was Advent Children/10, so it's hard to stay mad lol.
  • Tbh, I didn't expect a full gameplay trailer, nor a december release. That was probably my biggest surprise. Well, that and...
  • Did they just ******* rework Cloud's Final Smash!?
  • We're also finally getting our long overdue FF content. Fingers crossed for Tifa Mii Brawler and Barret Mii Gunner. And for the love of God, If you're bringing Geno back, give him a decent face at least. Also, yay, 2 more FF songs!

Finally: this does put into question the whole "prioritizing franchises without content in Smash" thing, especially considering we got Min Min and Sephiroth in the same Pass. This actually bodes well for Rex - in fact, I think I saw some theory about Sephiroth being part of a Square deal a few pages back? Can someone link it to me?

Shroob

Sup?
Alright! Seems like we got a good shakeup for speculation! My impressions on yesterday:

• On one hand... I do have to admit I'm a bit disappointed in multiple characters from the same third party franchise - both because I'd rather have new ones and because two of my MWs got the boot yesterday. Also because FF is more than just FFVII.
  • On the other hand, it's ****ing Sephiroth and the trailer was Advent Children/10, so it's hard to stay mad lol.
  • Tbh, I didn't expect a full gameplay trailer, nor a december release. That was probably my biggest surprise. Well, that and...
  • Did they just ******* rework Cloud's Final Smash!?
  • We're also finally getting our long overdue FF content. Fingers crossed for Tifa Mii Brawler and Barret Mii Gunner. And for the love of God, If you're bringing Geno back, give him a decent face at least. Also, yay, 2 more FF songs!

Finally: this does put into question the whole "prioritizing franchises without content in Smash" thing, especially considering we got Min Min and Sephiroth in the same Pass. This actually bodes well for Rex - in fact, I think I saw some theory about Sephiroth being part of a Square deal a few pages back? Can someone link it to me?
I'm a broken clock but...

Monster Hunter. :nifty:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Imagine we predict Sephiroth only giving us 2 more songs and they instead give us the entire Final Fantasy 7 soundtrack.
(2 songs for Midgar+victory theme) times 3 systems=9 licenses
8 songs for Yggdrasil+victory theme=9 licenses

My infallible theory states that we will have 9 more songs to play on the FFVII stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom