• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Would it? They didn't show Cloud until after One Winged Angel began.
It'd lessen it a bit as it might make people think its a villain.

Let's just.. ignore how Banjo ruins that line of logic.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Let's just hope that Sephiroth has more than just two songs.

Though for real, I'm curious as to the ramifications of the protagonist-only pattern being broken. On one hand, we got a non-protagonist, but on the other, can you really say Final Fantasy 7 was actually represented?

Anyways, I should probably replay some Kirby games and get hyped for Bandana Dee again now that we can confidently say that he has a chance.

D

Deleted member

Let's just hope that Sephiroth has more than just two songs.

Though for real, I'm curious as to the ramifications of the protagonist-only pattern being broken. On one hand, we got a non-protagonist, but on the other, can you really say Final Fantasy 7 was actually represented?

Anyways, I should probably replay some Kirby games and get hyped for Bandana Dee again now that we can confidently say that he has a chance.
I mean Sonic still only has one character, while Final Fantasy has two, so I would say Final Fantasy can rest well in terms of representation now.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
One thing I'm baffled about is that they gave Sephiroth an install. With range that goes that far? My thoughts on that can be summarized with this. Nonetheless, Sephiroth will probably be a fun character to play as. I wonder if the platforms in his stage will stay the same or actually move around.
I wonder what else I'll able to change Master Chief into in my signature as the fighter pass goes along.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yes, I'll get the old version on Steam.

Sadly, I was spoiled on
Ariel's death. To be fair, it is very old, and it is basically an iconic meme.
You get that spoiled for you pretty much the minute you start frequenting gaming communities, it’s more or less the “Darth Vader is Luke’s dad” of video games. I still haven’t played FFVII and I had it spoiled for me 13 years ago, back when I seriously got into oldschool gaming. I assume you’ll be able to enjoy the game just fine regardless.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
One thing I'm baffled about is that they gave Sephiroth an install. With range that goes that far? My thoughts on that can be summarized with this. Nonetheless, Sephiroth will probably be a fun character to play as. I wonder if the platforms in his stage will stay the same or actually move around.
I wonder what else I'll able to change Master Chief into in my signature as the fighter pass goes along.
Wild that Sephiroth has an install, yes. However, I ****in' love characters with installs, so it just makes me even more excited for him.

D

Deleted member

Wild that Sephiroth has an install, yes. However, I ****in' love characters with installs, so it just makes me even more excited for him.
What is an install?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
When it comes to adding a second rep for a third party already in a Fighters Pass, it’s unprecedented but not impossible. Especially if the rumor about negotiations for Sora falling through are true.

If that rumor is true, Sora was definitely planned as a final “showstopper”, probably for E3 next year. I doubt Nintendo wouldn’t try to fill the Sora-void with someone else of his scale. It could potentially be someone like Crash or Dovahkiin. But in a hypothetical scenario that Nintendo had already locked in Steve & say Dante & Geno, I doubt they’d completely rule out the likes of Master Chief, Monster Hunter, Lara Croft or Sephiroth just because MS/Capcom/Square already had a character. After getting burned by Disney, I could see them wanting to work with someone they have a more stable relationship with again.

Sephiroth isn’t a character that gets a lot of talk since additional reps for third parties, especially FFVII, seem really unlikely. But I definitely think he’d be a huge deal. He’s a beloved character & the most iconic video game villain after Bowser/Ganondorf (maaaaybe Eggman?). I feel he’d be “showstopper” tier. Icing on the cake would be if the rights for FF7 Remake content is easier to get than stuff from the original.
Nah, they’re waiting for when Mipha/Impa are reveale

I’ve said this before but I think Sephiroth would be a really huge reveal. He’s one of the most iconic game villains ever; only behind Bowser, Ganon & maybe Eggman. If there’s a Smash trailer where a single black feather falls to the ground, people are going to lose their minds.

Roger Rabbit was made during the dark age of animation. Animated movies were flopping left & right. TV animation was largely just low budget shows to sell toys. None of the animation companies were in a position to be picky.

The back to back success of Roger Rabbit followed by The Little Mermaid is what ushered in animation behind popular again.

I don’t necessarily think Chief would cost a lot. With how easy Microsoft was to work with, I imagine the licensing fees weren’t too high. Chief in Smash would be a situation where both parties get their backs scratched too, since it would be good advertising for the Series X & Halo: Infinite. So Microsoft might not charge too much for that reason; the long term benefits of Master Chief in Smash would outweigh the temporary benefit of the licensing fee.

If we get another pass, I think Akira Howard & Ring Fit Adventurer are locks. They’re in a similar situation as Min-Min/Arms where I think Sakurai/Nintendo wanted to see if they were successful before making them fighters.
I Called it, babyyyy!

I’m still shell shocked by this reveal. What a fantastic choice.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ok, I saw the trailer a few hours ago and I'm still having a hard time putting it into words. It's just really amazing, an iconic villain many didn't expect to see, another FF7 stage and at least one other song after the series has been infamously mocked for its lack of content, and an excellent trailer that sells the character and just gets you pumped for having this man be able to match up with other villains like Bowser or Ganondorf as well as Cloud himself. It's an incredible moment that just sells how exciting of a crossover Smash has become, and I can't wait to download the character and play him as soon as his pack drops.

Now I just need JENOVA in the game, you can't have Northern Crater in the game and not have the theme of the character that you fight in it.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wait...

Will Sephiroth use Cloud's victory theme?
I mean, I guess it's not impossible to imagine when you remember the flashback scene of the time when Sephiroth is in your party. It would be weird, but it wouldn't be impossible. That said, considering the villains/antagonists for the most part have their own victory theme, it's not hard to imagine Sephiroth getting his own victory theme as well.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So, now that Final Fantasy VII is very likely to get some more music..and based on the trailer, music from more FFVII entries than just the original game since it used Advent One Winged Angel..what songs would you guys like to hear, here are some of the various Final Fantasy VII series songs I'd like personally.
Smash 'Em, Rip 'Em - Final Fantasy VII Remake
Advent One Winged Angel - Final Fantasy VII Advent Children
The Price of Freedom - Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
J-E-N-O-V-A - Final Fantasy VII
Birth of a God - Final Fantasy VII
Bombing Mission - Final Fantasy VII Remake
Collapsed Expressway (Battle) - Final Fantasy VII Remake
One Winged Angel - Final Fantasy VII
Let the Battles Begin - Final Fantasy VII Remake

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Ultimate DLC seems like it's really hard to predict, so from now on I will expect the opposite of what the current "most likely" is lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

DoomerRJ

Smash Rookie
Wow. That Sepiroth reveal was INSANE. Wasn’t expecting it at all (was hoping for Crash or Doomguy), but still pretty exciting nonetheless. But man, today was a terrible day for Doom fans. Doom Eternal got robbed in every award it was nominated and no Doomguy in Smash. Again, still pretty hyped for Sephiroth, but why did this all have to happen on Doom’s anniversary? That’s just cruel...

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
There're a few franchises I'd be happy for them to expand upon.

but I think it's so much more interesting to bring new franchises to SSB than it is to just grow what's already there. Sephiroth is a fine character who fits with the other fighters, he's a big enough character to have a spot. But it's just not as exciting as adding a new franchise would be. I'm not going to buy him personally

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Wow. That Sepiroth reveal was INSANE. Wasn’t expecting it at all (was hoping for Crash or Doomguy), but still pretty exciting nonetheless. But man, today was a terrible day for Doom fans. Doom Eternal got robbed in every award it was nominated and no Doomguy in Smash. Again, still pretty hyped for Sephiroth, but why did this all have to happen on Doom’s anniversary? That’s just cruel...
I remember Doomguy was already deconfirmed before all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom