• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
A full blown 3D remake of a 16 bit Final Fantasy feels like something that should happen at some point. FFVI would be worth it just for the fully orchestrated soundtrack alone.
I'm sure they are working on it now. Based on the FF7 remake, we will probably see this one in 2026.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Are you talking a typical remake, or a "FFVIIR-esque" remake?
Depends who's in charge and the location of their heads.

If it got a remake like FF3 and FF4 got on the DS with improved graphics then that would be spectacular but knowing modern Square they'd have to make everything into FF15's battle system and have Kefka travel back in time to mess things up more with no explination.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
So who do you guys actually think the most likely Square rep is if we actually do get another?

Only ones I see in the running are

2B
Geno
Lara Croft
Neku

Sora doesn't count as he's Disney.
Here’s how I rank them

likley:neku

unlikey:2b,Lara

Geno:Geno

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So who do you guys actually think the most likely Square rep is if we actually do get another?

2B
Geno
Lara Croft
Neku

2B. Definitely seems like NieR as a franchise is on the up and up since 2017 and Nintendo would probably wanna get on that train.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

2B
Geno
Lara Croft
Neku

Most likely: Neku
Decent: Lara
Hinges on a NieR Automata port: 2B
Uhhhhhhh....: Geno
You forgot: Seth from Bravely Default II

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
2B. Definitely seems like NieR as a franchise is on the up and up since 2017 and Nintendo would probably wanna get on that train.
Also feels like a pick we wouldn't see coming as with the case as :ultjoker:

Neku as well.

They I feel are overlooked.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With 2B its trickier given her design and that Nier has even less presence on Nintendo than Persona did (literally none) with even Drakengard not having any presence on its systems.

Not saying its impossible but it feels like something significant outside Smash would have to happen.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I think that if we ever get some type of bonus post FP2 fighters (only the fighter with 1/2 songs) a good candidate is Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII. He is one of the most iconic videogame villains and they can include One Winged Angel (the original and maybe a new remix or Advent Children version) with him. In addition, with the upcoming FFVIIR Part 2 and more, he will be a prominent character for the next few years. Just imagine a fight between Cloud & Link vs Sephiroth & Ganandorf.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think that if we ever get some type of bonus post FP2 fighters (only the fighter with 1/2 songs) a good candidate is Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII. He is one of the most iconic videogame villains and they can include One Winged Angel (the original and maybe a new remix or Advent Children version) with him. In addition, with the upcoming FFVIIR Part 2 and more, he will be a prominent character for the next few years. Just imagine a fight between Cloud & Link vs Sephiroth & Ganandorf.
Yeah see, idk about Sephiroth. If he were base game, I could see it, or even the lone Individual DLC instead of Piranha Plant. But all DLC after PP comes with a stage and music and... what stage you gonna use? Plus getting music for FFVII was a ***** in 4 and base Ult, I don’t see it getting easier now

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Were they almost unable to get Cloud back for Ultimate? Thus one of the most likely characters to be cut in the next game?

If so, I imagine it being a harder time getting another Final Fantasy character...

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I liked how Square pushes to output at least one 3D mid-size RPG, this year they released Trials of Mana
And also Bravely Default 2.

As far as redoing FFVI everything is in degrees. You could try something like an Octopath Traveler esque version of VI graphically, go the Trials of Mana route via keeping it largely the same but in 3D, or pull a FFVII R variation with some real significant changes in battling and pace.
Even though I love FF6 and think it deserves to get a FF7R-level remake eventually, I think the next SE game to get a FF7R-level remake should be Chrono Trigger.

Make that **** look like Dragon Ball FighterZ!

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Yeah see, idk about Sephiroth. If he were base game, I could see it, or even the lone Individual DLC instead of Piranha Plant. But all DLC after PP comes with a stage and music and... what stage you gonna use? Plus getting music for FFVII was a ***** in 4 and base Ult, I don’t see it getting easier now
Thats why I said that Sephiroth work very well as a bonus fighter, no stage or spirits, just 1 or 2 songs, and thats all.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Thats why I said that Sephiroth work very well as a bonus fighter, no stage or spirits, just 1 or 2 songs, and thats all.
Not like it really matters; Sakurai might think Sephiroth might be difficult to include for one reason: his signature sword
  • That sword is so long, it would be supremely unbalanced
  • Shrinking it down to balance it might make him feel untrue to his character
Which is why I see him better off as an Assist Trophy.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not like it really matters; Sakurai might think Sephiroth might be difficult to include for one reason: his signature sword
He made Ridley work. He could reduce the swords length.

Not that I'm expecting Sephiroth anyways.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Given our other two prime katana wielding candidates are ATs (Lyn and Samurai Goroh) yeah I can see this happening

now, why didn’t it happen in base while Ryu and Bayonetta, Cloud’s other Smash 4 Third party DLC newcomers got ATs?!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
With 2B its trickier given her design and that Nier has even less presence on Nintendo than Persona did (literally none) with even Drakengard not having any presence on its systems.

Not saying its impossible but it feels like something significant outside Smash would have to happen.
I find it kinda hard to believe that the Persona Q games were the key to getting Joker into Smash, especially since his pack doesn't even reference those games and instead celebrates the mainline games that obviously have never touched a Nintendo system.

Reminder that at the end of the day, Sakurai considers having presence on Nintendo systems to be a "courtesy", not really a requirement. He did say that he "might of had some misgivings" if Cloud wasn't on Nintendo before, but that doesn't sound like to me that he'd never be included otherwise. It just seems that more than anything, it helps the odds.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To be fair I'm pretty sure they nerfed Cloud's sword too

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If we do get someone like a 2B with no history (either in her series or even associated IP's like Drakenguard) I'll definitely say the Nintendo system trend is something that can be ignored, but until that happens I can't entirely discard the notion either.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No surprise really as when it comes to fictional succubus' she's the first one that pops up.

Goes to show that despite the franchise's dormancy, it's still alive in spirit notably in the Marvel vs. Capcom games, I've always seen Morrigan as Ms. Capcom and their Captain Falcon.

Once again, I just think adding more of them would be a good means of expanding the setting and lore of Darkstalkers. Having a mix of both mythological creatures/beings and cryptids.

But if that were the case, ones I could see fit are the Jersey Devil, and Yowie (Could use another Australian character after Lord Raptor).
Are you the guy that made this thread on DKVine in 2018?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
He made Ridley work. He could reduce the swords length.

Not that I'm expecting Sephiroth anyways.
That's the thing; Ridley's size was never 100% consistent (he was slightly taller than Samus in the original Metroid), but Sephiroth's sword was always consistently 65 inches (that's 5'5"). Even Cloud's sword isn't that long (it's 4'4").

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If we do get someone like a 2B with no history (either in her series or even associated IP's like Drakenguard) I'll definitely say the Nintendo system trend is something that can be ignored, but until that happens I can't entirely discard the notion either.
Sakurai even claimed himself that appearing on a Nintendo console is a courtesy, not a requirement.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Also feels like a pick we wouldn't see coming as with the case as :ultjoker:

Neku as well.

They I feel are overlooked.
Wouldn't see coming?
I think I read Neku from majority of the SE lists on here.

Funny though, because it is usually sandwiched between comments about shill picks, and TWEWY, Octopath, and Bravely Default are all shill picks.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
Sephiroth: I didn't always think this way but I think I'd rather see villains (sephiroth, eggman, etc.) as boss characters rather than playable. IDK when i started to feel that way.

Darkstalkers: as much as I like Morrigan to make it in Smash (the comparison to :ultfalcon:is pretty apt IMO) I think her or DS in general chances are low against DMC, AA, MH, etc. For Smash I can see the DS characters as stage cameos/ATs.

Square Enix: Neku and Lara Croft are back in the minds of speculators based on today's news. If SE got another character in Smash it boils down to 2B, Neku, Lara, and Geno. Sora is the wildcard.

FP2 Predictions: still no clue as to who are the remaining 4.
IIRC I think someone said FP2 collectively had a lower ESRB rating than FP1 did implying more kid friendly characters; the voice theory (one of the remaining characters may have a variant); etc. so many little tidbits to keep in mind. 3rd parties are wide open while 1st parties i've been eyeing Pokemon and Xenoblade.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway we got yet another leak

no it’s not smash related, it’s actually Pokémon

and guess who’s breaking the news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom