• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The painful thing about being a Nintendo fan is that there's rules for the BIG AAA series and rules for the A-tier series you actually wanna see more of.

There'll always be a Mario and Zelda game coming, often with sometimes a whole decade of the same game but prettier going on, but Donkey Kong, Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid, that sort of thing they all have to go through a bunch of arcane trials where it's not given that a "new BLANK game" is enough to make it sell.

I don't see why F-Zero has to have some big incredible gameplay innovation that will be at it's core while Mario Kart steals all of it's old ideas.
Honestly, I think a part of the "we should have new ideas for making a new game of X series" is just an excuse. I mean, yes, obviously when you're making a new game you want to bring something new though sometimes Nintendo brings that philosophy too far if you ask me, but I'm 100% sure that if F-Zero games sold like Splatoon we would have seen multiple games after GX no matter if each one of these new games brings or not new feature or gimmicks lmao

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Honestly the problem with Star Fox isn't stagnation exactly.

Its overcorrection.

Nintendo proved that they were willing to experiment with the franchise with Adventures, Assault and Command. But even when they made something truly special (Assault), fans wouldn't shut up about wanting a new game like 64. It was very loud, very constant and very common (and very obnoxious).

It was so venomous that now Nintendo is too scared to try anything that isn't a new take on 64's formula. Star Fox Guard is the only recent entry that isn't and that blatantly started as something else.

I partially blame the fans for Star Fox's state. When we had gold, they refused to see it cause it wasn't like what they had before.
I’m sorry, but Assault was never that great of a game, even critics didn’t like it very much (that said I’d rather a another game like Assault than a retread of 64).

I know a lot of people like to blame Miyamoto for everything, but he did have a large hand in Zero’s development. While the lack luster reception of the previous games may have impacted the decision I wouldn’t be surprised if Miyamoto personally didn’t like the direction the series was going and wanted to go back to basics for better or for worse

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I mean it wasn't just angry fans or whatever, critics ravaged most of the mid 2000s Star Fox games, especially Assault.

Maybe this is cynicism, but I blame fans mostly. It is rather hard for a product to grow/expand/change once it gets to big. I look at Megaman and Sonic as good examples (lets ignore bugs, because that does play a role in things)

Megaman became 'Stale' as far as the public is concerned. 11 entries that play roughly the same with tweaks and people complained. Happened to the X series also. When we look at Sonic, it is always "Why is not not like Sonic 2/Mania" Sonic Adventure "ok. but not Sonic 2." When I look at Starfox. We had SF64 being super successful. People wanted more. We had more Starfox with Adventures, which was a Zelda clone that no one asked for and Assault. Now, control issues can be a thing. Maybe that is why Assault suffered. But from what I remember when playing it 20ish years ago, it played like N64, but had different modes of play that were hit/miss, etc. Overall, I found it a fun game.

Point be made, fans at the time hated it for not being SF64. Series enter this weird state where they cannot change because fans like it, but have to change to move forward. It is a mess. But that is a take on it. Might be wrong.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This game barely had any character interactions, it's just everyone saying "Hey don't ****ing die against Galeem" before everyone died against Galeem.
Zelda: "Stow your fear you pathetic cowards!"

Why is everyone keep wanting a character just because they debuted on NES? If they're really that important might as well fill in the remaining DLC with NES character.
Dang...well, if you feel like we have to. You win I guess. You sure showed me.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Its overcorrection.

Nintendo proved that they were willing to experiment with the franchise with Adventures, Assault and Command. But even when they made something truly special (Assault), fans wouldn't shut up about wanting a new game like 64. It was very loud, very constant and very common (and very obnoxious).

It was so venomous that now Nintendo is too scared to try anything that isn't a new take on 64's formula. Star Fox Guard is the only recent entry that isn't and that blatantly started as something else.

I partially blame the fans for Star Fox's state. When we had gold, they refused to see it cause it wasn't like what they had before.
I'm not a Star Fox fan so I can't speak on this with experience, but if you're including Command, then that means the classic Star Fox formula, the most iconic one, went unused for 9 years outside of short sections. Honestly, if Zero was a Switch title during conception, I think fans would have eaten it up, complaints about rehashing 64's story aside

KillerCage

Smash Master

Its overcorrection.

Hot take: I prefer Starfox Assault over Starfox 64.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just watched the latest Partner Showcase and damn that was really good. Crazy how they started out only good for mocking, and now I find myself bummed because there won't be any more this year.

No More Heroes, as always, is a highlight. Not a surprise but the way the news was delivered was hilarious. Travis really should have made the cut. NMH3 can't come soon enough.

Bravely Default II still looking pretty bad visually, but hopefully the gameplay will deliver like the other games in the series have.

Part Time UFO seems incredibly charming. Wasn't this on 3DS or something? Because if so, I can't believe I missed it.

Hyrule Warriors continues to look awesome, I'll be sure to play the demo. Really hyped about that one.

Hitman III and Control being on Switch is huge, honestly. I know, cloud, but these are still big, power-intensive games. If this is a sign of things to come, then I'm paying attention.

Lmao at Bakugan showing up again

Only criticism I have is that Pikmin should have been here. I know it's first party but that game really doesn't need to be overshadowed this badly. If you can have a Zelda game, you can have Pikmin.

By the way, there was this game called Buddy Mission BOND on the Japanese version and it's a shame that they don't plan on localizing it because it looks great. Ah well.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm still not convinced in the artstyle of Bravely Default II, at least the in regards to the characters.
Yeah, I love BD's mechanics to death, but I've always hated the art style.

The budget for this looks like it's on the same level as the Trials of Mana remake. I wonder how many times I'll have to play through the same world THIS time just to get to the real ending. It sucks that one of my favorite SE franchises can't get a real budget to work with...

Dude, **** off with that. Assault sucked. The hate was deserved. Just cause it didn't suck AS MUCH as Adventure or Command doesn't mean it didn't still suck.

Honestly, if Zero was a Switch title during conception, I think fans would have eaten it up
If it still had the terrible motion controls from the Wii U version, I don't think they would have.

As a Star Fox Fan, I just want more Star Fox. Frankly, I've enjoyed every installment in the series ('Good' or 'bad'). Gimme more. And I'm the heathen who absolutely loved SF: Zero.
The parts of it that just play like StarFox are totally good.

Marth: "***** what when did I say anything about fear or being afraid?"
Zelda: "Silence worm! Lick my shoe!"

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Heads up, Age of Calamity's demo got datamined and spoilers are ****in everywhere
Welp... guess I'm staying off the Internet for a few weeks again, really want to go into AOC without being spoiled (though I must question why when the conclusion is basically foregone?).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Its overcorrection.

Star Fox Assault's a fine game, but the lack of branching campaigns, different bosses on a stage depending on path, and the all range mode levels feeling gimped for the sake of the (admittedly well done) multiplayer made it at best a lateral move from its predecessor. And that's not even getting into the awkwardness of the on foot sections. Truth be told there was a Gamecube title that really felt like it mastered replayability mechanics for a space fighter and really fit that genre via its execution of exciting levels.

Unfortunately for Star Fox that game was Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What I mean was as in how the characters get treated and such.
There's no corelation here either though, AoC being a prequel means we know exactly what'll happen and have known this since the announcement, there's no shock factor to be had at all. This is just forcing a rivalry between two completely unrelated games, it's like me trying to hype up Curse of the Moon 2 as a rival of Cyberpunk 2077

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh, the full Famitsy column about Steve is out!

I want to highlight this part in particular:

I wonder if this means that the full development for FP2 didn't start until they released Byleth
Interesting.

I wonder what they mean by Development. I'm gonna assume when they start Development they don't include all the Planning and stuff, but they mean when they start modeling, Doing animations, Hurtboxes, developing stage, music Composition, etc.

I Believe Japan shut down for Covid somewhere around Feburary-March, so at the least Steve was in active Development for 7-9 Months.

So Steve started Active Development after Byleth, but that doesn't include Planning Stages. Min-Min probably would have had to start active Development Before Byleth though

Sakurai also mentioned that balancing is much harder when working from home in Steve Presentation, and Min-Min was delayed because of extra balancing needing to be needed, so Actually this might add to the idea that Min-Min was set to release in April

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well if Link
decides to not destroy Ganon because he arbitrarily realized revenge is wrong
we'll at least know for sure.
Everybody asks, "Is revenge worth it/good/bad?". Nobody asks "When is revenge worth it?"

Although I'm still flabbergasted at why Last of Us 2 was brought up regarding Hyrule Warriors' datamine. Regardless of whether you like the game or not, I don't know what was even the real reason for bringing it up.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Everybody asks, "Is revenge worth it/good/bad?". Nobody asks "When is revenge worth it?"

Although I'm still flabbergasted at why Last of Us 2 was brought up regarding Hyrule Warriors' datamine. Regardless of whether you like the game or not, I don't know what was even the real reason for bringing it up.
I'd say this thread seems to have a fixation with TLOU2. It isn't the first time people have mentioned the game.

I already talked about the game a few weeks ago so I don't wanna go deep into it again but it's funny that no matter where you go when people randomly brings up the game is only to make fun of it. But it doesn't surprise me, a good good amount of people who trashes the game hasn't even played the game, just read spoilers or some angry reviews.

Also, TLOU2 being woke is like, hilarious. If having I don't know, black people, asian people, or people with different sexual preferences means it's woke, then I guess life itself is woke because, and don't be scared people: all of that exists in real life.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
As a extremely progressive woman, I get sad that people consider TLOU2 “woke”

When it fact, was the bare minimum
Wasn't there moments in that game that could be considered horribly offensive when taken out of context? Or even come off as bad regardless of context? I don't like to play gritty games, so I wouldn't know.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Wasn't there moments in that game that could be considered horribly offensive when taken out of context? Or even come off as bad with context?
I'd imagine so. The game doesn't handle most anything very well at all. Comes off as tone deaf. TLOU2 felt like it wanted to double down but it's all sloppy and nothing about the game feels organic. Relationships, beliefs, plot, motives, etc. The characters feel like actors and not characters.

Last edited:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
I'd imagine so. The game doesn't handle most anything very well at all. Comes off as tone deaf. TLOU2 felt like it wanted to double down but it's all sloppy and nothing about the game feels organic. Relationships, beliefs, plot, motives, etc. The characters feel like actors and not characters.
You serious?
Both The Last of Us 1 and 2 are two of the few games whose characters REALLY feels like real people! The way they act and relate with each other is the most genuine and real I've ever seen in a videogame. Other games that feels like that are To the Moon and Finding Paradise (even though they're RPG Maker games)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom