• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What I mean is I don't think Mii Costumes are chosen to be added to the game in general just based of a Theme like Genre and such, though anything based on Franchise or Company probably is added on those merits

What I think is possible is that Mii Costumes are Placed Specfically in Certain packs to Go with a Specfic theme.

So Like I don't think Ubisoft Costumes were Added to the game because of Byleth, but Possibly they were bundled with Byleth Specfically because of her Theme (3 Weapons)
The only times we've ever had an actual theme is with Hero (Dragon Quest) and Terry (Fighting games), and to a lesser extent Joker (Sega). We're more than likely going to get character later on and find that an older Mii Costume would've fit with them better.

SKX31

Smash Master
BTW did anything ever happen with Kirby in that one Fortnite trailer? IE, was Kirby ever actually in Fortnite? Not that I think the answer effects Jonsey's chances much, but it's a data point anyway.
There's not been anything since Kirby cameod in the Fortnite Party Royale's trailer almost 6 months ago now it seems. So unless they announce a crossover soon I'm pretty much chalking it up to just his render being used for the heck of it. Didn't seem Nintendo made much of a fuss about it.

Still, he's placed at a rather conspicous location:

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Honestly, a Fortnite character being playable would be more funny than anything. The default dance would be canon to smash.

There are only two characters who I would hate the inclusion of. One is, thankfully, an indie who would just be given a costume (Freddy Fazbear), and the other is already in (Incineroar).

7NATOR

Smash Master
The only times we've ever had an actual theme is with Hero (Dragon Quest) and Terry (Fighting games), and to a lesser extent Joker (Sega). We're more than likely going to get character later on and find that an older Mii Costume would've fit with them better.
While those Themes are more Pronounced, I do there there is possibility that all of the Costumes so far were Deliberately Placed in their Specific Pack because it fit with what the Character is about, though it really depends because I also do think it's likely some spots were a Dumping ground

Banjo was a Requested Character, Just like Sans, Zero, and to a lesser extent Proto Man and Goemon (who's the Japanesse Mascot of Konami Apprantly).

Byleth is known by their 3 Weapons, their tournament is based around it, so their pack having all Mii Types is Important.

Min-Min is a New Nintendo I.P, and also a 3d Fighting game. Splatoon Costumes and Heihachi just stress this. Also Ninjara as an ARMS Character

Steve had Minecraft, and Gil's Game is heavy on Treasure Collecting, which is big part of Minecraft, finding material like Gold and Diamond. Bomberman is the Opposite of Creation, being destruction. Travis comes from Indie game, which is what Steve was

But Like I said some spots are likely just Dumping Grounds, like Vault boy going with Min-Min, and Team Rocket with Banjo. There also might be looking into it too much, but I do think they put more effort to placing the Miis than we give them credit for

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
There's not been anything since Kirby cameod in the Fortnite Party Royale's trailer almost 6 months ago now it seems. So unless they announce a crossover soon I'm pretty much chalking it up to just his render being used for the heck of it. Didn't seem Nintendo made much of a fuss about it.

Still, he's placed at a rather conspicous location:
...Do I dare to ask why this is even a thing?

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
bros...

IT'S TIME

it's just gonna be a mii outfit lol
Can't comment on Fortnite in Smash
victory.jpg
Obviously, I'm not expecting anything, but I'd be down with a Mii costume.

andree123

Smash Ace
How likely are we getting both Crash Bandicoot and Fortnite represented in smash? (fighter or mii costume)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
How likely are we getting both Crash Bandicoot and Fortnite represented in smash? (fighter or mii costume)
Zero. Zilch. Nada. Just because we got Steve doesn't mean Nintendo went "You're right, it IS all about the biggest third parties!"

SKX31

Smash Master
...Do I dare to ask why this is even a thing?
Party Royale you mean?

Fortnite's trying to become a social media platform too. Nah but seriously, it's pretty much Fortnite's place to host concerts, movies and hang out / play minigames. The Travis Scott concert that kicked it off certainly set the tone:

First there was the Travis Scott music tour, which featured five in-game events over the course of several days. It was psychedelic and surreal and proved extremely popular; upward of 27 million players joined the experience, including more than 12 million during the first virtual concert. Notably, the event was completely free of violence. As soon as the music started and a giant Travis Scott began stomping around Fortnite’s island, the guns disappeared and all players could do was run around and enjoy the spectacle.
No, not kidding:

Zero. Zilch. Nada. Just because we got Steve doesn't mean Nintendo went "You're right, it IS all about the biggest third parties!"
I kinda want to see that timeline though. Just to imagine the sheer amounts of stunned crickets around here when something so seemingly random as PUBG Mobile gets in. :p

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Watch this be Nintendo's The Last of Us: Part Two.
Legitimate Age of Calamity spoiler included, read your own risk:
Age of Calamity does have a pseudo-Last of Us 2 twist, where the game radically changes in the first hour or so with no mention of this in the pre-release. For the Last of Us 2, it was Joel's death and the inclusion of Abby. For Age of Calamity, it's that you're not actually playing the events of the calamity as they are said to unfold in Breath of the Wild. Instead, you're playing in an alternate timeline, where a time-traveling Guardian is attempting to prevent the calamity from occurring.

Obviously, the latter is already going over much better than the former. However, I'm a little disappointed with this development. As someone who bawled at both the end of generation 1 of Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War and season 1 of Telltale's Walking Dead, I'm a sucker for games with well-executed, legitimately tragic endings, where the heroes failing and everything going to **** isn't just a bad ending for being too slow, not collecting all the golden gooses, or making the wrong ethical choice but the actual end of the story. Plus, it feels kinda scummy to advertise the game as "play through this major event that defines the entirety of Breath of the Wild!" when the game is actually telling a fundamentally different story.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
To be honest I have a hard time identifying with the feeling of hating a character’s inclusion in Smash. I get sick of seeing it. Unless you’re saying you hate who the character is as a person or something... (lol)

As far as hating that the character is playable though? Doesn't click with me. Even if I’m skeptical about a character getting in, I feel happy for their fans regardless. And eventually they just feel like part of the family.

They’re all part of one great and beautiful collective of gaming history.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Age of Calamity spoilers are disappointing. This is why Nintendo doesn't like doing demos. Just when we started getting more demos, people do this. It's honestly a real quick way to make them stop doin' 'em again.

Sigh Ah well, it happens.

As for the Fortnite thing...I think people are letting the whole thing with Suda change their perspective a little too much: Suda's comment was only weird because it was the complete opposite of his previous behavior towards Travis in Smash and didn't fit his personality. "No comment" is an industry standard response to questions like these, so again, Suda's comment only mattered because he's usually more casual.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Kinda random, but would anyone be interested in reading a write-up for Isaac Clarke from the Dead Space series? This would be about who he is, his series, and why I think he would be a good addition to Smash.
Shoot. I'm supposed to be doing writeups myself (Although so far all I have is Klonoa), so it wouldn't hurt to see some else do a writeup as well.

SKX31

Smash Master
Ok, but... why did they put Kirby there?
¯\(ツ)

Your guess is as good as mine honestly. Could just be a DJ's preference or whatever. Sony and Microsoft did censor him in their respective trailers though it seems (which is kinda odd in the latter case).

Kinda random, but would anyone be interested in reading a write-up for Isaac Clarke from the Dead Space series? This would be about who he is, his series, and why I think he would be a good addition to Smash.
I'd certainly be interested too, especially since he's not discussed much at all. Go for it.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Fortnite being in Smash, at least in this particular fighters pass? I really just don't see that happening. And thank goodness for that, jokes aside. I could certainly see some sort of collaboration between Fortnite and some Nintendo IP though, maybe for a one-off event in the former.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Y'know, how would anyone in this thread feel if Madotsuki ended up being a DLC fighter? Now granted, despite it being my personal most wanted I think it's a long shot to the point of nigh-impossibility, but if, if it happened, how would you take to it? If you don't know who the character is, well you're kind of just lacking in culture, to be blunt.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Y'know, how would anyone in this thread feel if Madotsuki ended up being a DLC fighter? Now granted, despite it being my personal most wanted I think it's a long shot to the point of nigh-impossibility, but if, if it happened, how would you take to it? If you don't know who the character is, well you're kind of just lacking in culture, to be blunt.
oh my God is this a dream???

it's funny cause Yume Nikki is literally about exploring dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom