• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I guess Dragon could work for Ryu Hayabusa. Given his Dragon Sword.

Some would probably think it's Spyro.

Last edited:
I don't get it.
We do use the word ピッケル pickel to describe pickaxes in actual Japanese and dictionaries say that it's origin is from the German word Eispickel.
It's not a pun or a 4D chess term. It's not uncommon or anything, just like the usage of the word Brave. It's just a thing in Japanese.
I was kind of wondering if something like that might be the case after you mentioned it. It's just interesting that the codename wasn't translated when apparently all/most of the others were. Sorry if we're being difficult. It's hard to ignore the pattern recognition parts of the brain.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I don't get it.
We do use the word ピッケル pickel to describe pickaxes in actual Japanese and dictionaries say that it's origin is from the German word Eispickel.
It's not a pun or a 4D chess term. It's not uncommon or anything, just like the usage of the word Brave. It's just a thing in Japanese.
To add on to this, you all have a unhealthy obsession with these stupid code names

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't get it.
Huh, didn't know it was a loanword (and that might've tripped a lot of people up honestly, admittedly that's where I made my mistake). That explains things,

Crash’s codename could also be Wumpa like Wumpa fruit
Nah, obviously it would be "SonicsAssCharacter"

:4pacman:

To add on to this, you all have a unhealthy obsession with these stupid code names
Hey, when there's one bulls-eye (Brave), you know people are going to hope for more.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So... I have a fringe hypothesis. What if Fighter 8 is going to be revealed and released in December?

The reason I say that is because of a recent tweet Nintendo made... Apparently, the Mario tourney is going to be in December.

Now granted, it can be anywhere in December. However... early December is when the TGAs happens. Which has had Smash reveals before.

However, why do I think it might release in December as well?

Well... if you remember the amiibo date NintendoAmerica tweeted and then subsequently deleted... it stated Terry, Banjo and Byleth were launching in Fall of 2021.

(Although weirdly, NintendoCanada never tweeted their version of it, making this even weirder. So if you are curious about the NOA tweet, here's the NOC version which is basically the same thing.)

What if this was a typo... and meant Fall 2020?

In the context of early December... that would still make sense as the winter solstice doesn't hit until December 21st. Meaning they could do the toruney, reveal Fighter 8, release Fighter 8, and release Terry, Byleth and Banjo in the first three weeks of December before the Winter Solstice even hits.

Again, this is some pretty fringe stuff, and I personally don't believe this stuff myself. But... this idea has been floating my my head all day and just had to at least talk about it.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
So... I have a fringe hypothesis. What if Fighter 8 is going to be revealed and released in December?

The reason I say that is because of a recent tweet Nintendo made... Apparently, the Mario tourney is going to be in December.

Now granted, it can be anywhere in December. However... early December is when the TGAs happens. Which has had Smash reveals before.

Well... if you remember the amiibo date NintendoAmerica tweeted and then subsequently deleted... it stated Terry, Banjo and Byleth were launching in Fall of 2021.

(Although weirdly, NintendoCanada never tweeted their version of it, making this even weirder. So if you are curious about the NOA tweet, here's the NOC version which is basically the same thing.)

In the context of early December... that would still make sense as the winter solstice doesn't hit until December 21st. Meaning they could do the toruney, reveal Fighter 8, release Fighter 8, and release Terry, Byleth and Banjo in the first three weeks of December before the Winter Solstice even hits.

Again, this is some pretty fringe stuff, and I personally don't believe this stuff myself. But... this idea has been floating my my head all day and just had to at least talk about it.
Even if there was a typo in the NoA tweet, in the "Sakurai presents Steve and Alex" presentation the release date for the amiibos was still set for 2021.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wouldn’t that be too obvious? Granted Brave WAS obvious, and Master was a literal translation of sensei which can also mean teacher and Tantan is a type of noodle

but everything else required a bit of thinking outside the box - Buddy for Banjo could be a reference to the Buddy System, Dolly for Terry is most likely a reference to his fatal fury home stage (train dolly car), Pickel is either a Japanese or German transliteration of pickaxe, and Jack... I actually forgot the connotation that connected that word to Joker

if I had to make more creative roundabout code names for those two, Hayabusa would be Moon (Ninjas often work at night? Idk I ain’t familiar with Ninja Gaiden) and Crash would be Tiki (Aku Aku reference ig)
Dolly makes more sense as a pun.
Terry Bogard.

Now write that again but with how Japan would write it.

Bogado Teri.

Take the last letters.

Dori.

Dolly
Motoi does NOT work at Namco. He's entirely freelance. If it was so easy to get him, why didn't they get him for Banjo or Terry's music selections? ESPECIALLY Terry, given just how many songs were there.

The idea isn't that "he'd be a major fixation of the fighter pack", it's that Sakurai's in a position where he feels he kinda needs to get him involved. I never once said he'd do every song in a Tales pack or Golden Sun or whatever, that's ridiculous. He doesn't own music rights to those franchises, so they don't HAVE to, but at the same time, Sakurai went balls to the wall getting Grant Kirkhope to do a Banjo track. If there's a series in here that he personally worked on, Sakurai 100% got him for that and asked him to do other songs as well.
Grant had sheer luck in getting that role due to knowing a guy who knew about Banjo being developed helping him out iirc, not to mention I fail to see how this matters when Yoko Shimomura's also a freelancer yet she was responsible for remixes in the first pass.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Also Yakuza is crossing over with the Streets of Rage series to bring you this.

Considering this is only for Steam and only for a limited time, I wonder if this is suppose to a sort of tease for PC ports of 3-6 since Sega did do something similar with Bayonetta to reveal the PC port that game.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Considering this is only for Steam and only for a limited time, I wonder if this is suppose to a sort of tease for PC ports of 3-6 since Sega did do something similar with Bayonetta to reveal the PC port that game.
Sega fans would be eating good as we're getting a prototype 1 level build of a canned Golden Axe game too, but the Bayo thing was also an April Fools joke iirc

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I've thought about it being revealed/released in December due to how much time it would be since not Steve, but Byleth. The division that worked on them would've worked on their next fighter for as long as Steve was worked on by then.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Sega fans would be eating good as we're getting a prototype 1 level build of a canned Golden Axe game too, but the Bayo thing was also an April Fools joke iirc
The Bayonetta thing actually did contain a hint towards the PC port Bayonetta 1.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The Bayonetta thing actually did contain a hint towards the PC port Bayonetta 1.

I know, but I believe Japan's april fools jokes tend to be actual hints at ****, we got a joke about a turn based rpg for Yakuza and a while later we get Yakuza 7. It's also how they announced the Pop Team Epic anime, though that's not Sega. I'd be glad if it does actually mean anything though I doubt it

cosmicB

Smash Ace

You're about a month too late on the tournament theory. People were convinced the Mario tournament meant a Mario rep was FP7. The theory isn't really in play anymore now that Steve has been revealed outside of some fringe beliefs over FP7 and 8 being close together E3 announcements and releases, even though we can confidently say the DLC team has been fully committed to the programming nightmare that is Steve.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace

Geno fans: Heavy breathing due to the Mario Anniversary tourney happening around then

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

1602707592268.png

I've never seen so many loose strings connected by the thinnest thread. Steve just dropped. Chill out. Play some Smash instead of theorizing around it. I get what this thread is for but maybe just one day people can just take a breather.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I still just don't see Euden happening on the account of the fact that Dragalia Lost never got a proper EU release.

I think Nintendo today wants every new character to have a proper worldwide presence.
That, I assure you, can be rectified with a Switch port of Dragalia Lost.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If Characters are Developed in Groups of 3 like last time, FP8 Should be Revealed pretty Soon. However that's assuming it's still being developed in 3's

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I think our Smash Character could get dropped out of nowhere. Like, full on Shadowdrop. Like Euden perhaps.
Honestly, I still haven't wrapped around the idea of Nintendo hastily jumping for a character from a series that wouldn't even promote anything arguably meaningful for Nintendo (thus far).

The weird thing about Dragalia Lost is that it counters Nintendo's vision for their own mobile titles, which is to generate interest for their existing IPs, in hopes that consumers would be interested in enjoying full-scale Nintendo products and games.
Dragalia is something completely brand-new, along with currently being mobile exclusive.

In theory, putting Euden in Smash would drive people to play Dragalia Lost and that's it.
There's no benefit for Nintendo, since there isn't any implication or motive for people to think any more or less of unrelated Nintendo products and games.

In other words, I think that Dragalia getting a worldwide console release with revamped gameplay (to account for the lack of gatcha elements) would be beneficial for both the IP and Nintendo if Euden is to be in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom