• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ok maybe "at all" was too absolute, as I didn't mean to claim anime didn't originate in Japan, but shows that emulate anime aren't just animeesque, they are anime regardless of which country made it.
No, Anime is "Animation made in Japan".

Animesque is animation made to emulate Anime as an art style.

So yes, it is not anime at all if it isn't from Japan. That's quite literally the definition of anime. I'm trying to think of a good example, but there were Western Animation(another name for Cartoons) that intentionally went for a similar style(mostly French Animation, a form of Western Animation), like Avatar: The Airbender. They aren't literally using the style.

Anime isn't exactly an art style. It's just Japanese Animation. Anime strictly is made in Japan and is often adaptions of Manga, a Japanese-specific type of book. Anime came way after Manga too. Manga and Anime are also extremely similar, if not identical, in the types of drawings used. As well as storytelling. Anime is influenced by Cartoons, but based pretty much upon adapting Manga as is as well(while there are Anime without Manga counterparts, this is how Anime actually got started).

Just calling it an art style is misleading and ignores the history of how it was created.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think we can all agree Joker's our third in line for that anime gunshow. And don't forget, Banjo technically counts as our fourth, as he's an anime gunblade user. Yep, double duty as a anime swordie and pew-pew guy. Those big googly eyes are prime Shounen material.
Kazooie isn't a gunblade. Why do people have to objectify her? Where is her credit for the hard work she does for Banjo? :ultpacman:

That's not true at all. Anime is a style, it doesn't have any bearing on who made it.
So anime is judged by how much the characters look like electrical sockets?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

So, StarTropics is going to be in a Nintendo Power Podcast, and maybe this is foreshadowing for Mike Jones in Smash.
Star Tropics in Smash just based on this probably isn't happening. Now if there was a new Star Tropics game, then sure I think it has a possibility. It would be pretty dope to be honest.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This would be a diverse and interesting selection for Fighter Pass 2.

• Spring Man
  • Crash
  • Waluigi
  • Bandana Dee
  • Dixie
  • Ashley
I didn't know Doraemon and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure share the same style.
Did you know Jojo influenced Street Fighter’s character designs?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's also Geist, a paranormal shooter that no-one remembers that I keep mixing up with Second Sight, another paranormal shooter that no-one remembers.
Forget remembering these two games. I've never even seen them! Though I never owned a Gamecube so I suppose I don't count.

Side Note: I always thought the N64 and Gamecube were in my generation, but I just had an XBox instead. This is apparently not the case with the N64 and I don't know how I feel about that.

No, Anime is "Animation made in Japan".

Animesque is animation made to emulate Anime as an art style.

So yes, it is not anime at all if it isn't from Japan. That's quite literally the definition of anime. I'm trying to think of a good example, but there were Western Animation(another name for Cartoons) that intentionally went for a similar style(mostly French Animation, a form of Western Animation), like Avatar: The Airbender. They aren't literally using the style.

Anime isn't exactly an art style. It's just Japanese Animation. Anime strictly is made in Japan and is often adaptions of Manga, a Japanese-specific type of book. Anime came way after Manga too. Manga and Anime are also extremely similar, if not identical, in the types of drawings used. As well as storytelling. Anime is influenced by Cartoons, but based pretty much upon adapting Manga as is as well(while there are Anime without Manga counterparts, this is how Anime actually got started).

Just calling it an art style is misleading and ignores the history of how it was created.
Ok since this isn't on topic let's just agree to disagree here.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I have a feeling that this Fighter’s Pass is gonna be new IPs from companies already in smash, whether it’s first or third party. Part of that is because i’m hoping for BOF Ryu and Phoenix Wright so I’m possibly wrong, but it’s what I think is happening regardless.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's literally called the Portal GUN.
No actually, it's "literally" called the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device.

Why are you so objected to this?
Mainly because it was suggested that if Chell got into Smash, FPS fans would complain about the genre still not being represented in Smash.

But I think that response would be absolutely valid, because calling someone a rep for a genre when their game is, like, 10% that genre is ridiculous.

If Chell was added to Smash, FPS fans would be 100% justified in feeling that there was still no FPS rep in Smash.

Cameras aren't guns either but you can shoot with them.
Is somebody actually saying Pokemon Snap is a shooter?

Edit: *checks wikipedia* Well **** me.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
No actually, it's "literally" called the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device.

Mainly because it was suggested that if Chell got into Smash, FPS fans would complain about the genre still not being represented in Smash.

And I would feel like that response would be absolutely valid, because calling someone a rep for a genre when their game is, like, 10% that genre is ridiculous.

If Chell was added to Smash, FPS fans would be 100% justified in feeling that there was still no FPS rep in Smash.

Is somebody actually saying Pokemon Snap is a shooter?

Edit: *checks wikipedia* Well **** me.
Already said this but check the entity names on https://half-life.fandom.com/wiki/Aperture_Science_Handheld_Portal_Device
They all include gun and the first one includes weapon.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

And I would feel like that response would be absolutely valid, because calling someone a rep for a genre when their game is, like, 10% that genre is ridiculous.

I would actually agree with this for the most part. While Portal is part FPS, it's not exactly what you'd think of when you think "I wanna play an FPS game" (neither is Duck Hunt even though it's pretty much a pure FPS now that I think about it albeit a very rudimentary one).

It'd be like saying that puzzle game fans should be happy that we have a new puzzle game rep in Paper Mario when the series's puzzles are so paper thin that pretty much any other game with puzzle elements is more satisfying as a puzzle game let alone the fact that it's more well known as an RPG series.
EDIT: And that's probably a bad example since I wouldn't exactly consider Paper Mario to be a puzzle game and was surprised to find out it's current director says it is. It does give the new ring system some extra context as to why it exists though.

Already said this but check the entity names on https://half-life.fandom.com/wiki/Aperture_Science_Handheld_Portal_Device
They all include gun and the first one includes weapon.
That's not exactly official material though so I'm not entirely sure it can prove your point unless it provides links to where it's been officially categorized as such. Also Wikia is terrible. Use this instead: https://theportalwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I always meant to ask this, but what the hell is the context in your signature? Anna's always just staring at Ms Marvel menacingly every time I scroll down the page
Oh it's just an old compilation of stuff I like, Kirby's in there too but he's cut off.

Anyway I demand Danganronpa DLC. Don't need a character, god knows how that'd work, but the musical style isn't something Smash has much of, and I'm all for more musical diversity

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I would actually agree with this for the most part. While Portal is part FPS, it's not exactly what you'd think of when you think "I wanna play an FPS game" (neither is Duck Hunt even though it's pretty much a pure FPS now that I think about it albeit a very rudimentary one).

It'd be like saying that puzzle game fans should be happy that we have a new puzzle game rep in Paper Mario when the series's puzzles are so paper thin that pretty much any other game with puzzle elements is more satisfying as a puzzle game let alone the fact that it's more well known as an RPG series.
EDIT: And that's probably a bad example since I wouldn't exactly consider Paper Mario to be a puzzle game and was surprised to find out it's current director says it is. It does give the new ring system some extra context as to why it exists though.

That's not exactly official material though so I'm not entirely sure it can prove your point unless it provides links to where it's been officially categorized as such. Also Wikia is terrible. Use this instead: https://theportalwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
If that’s not reliable, then this is https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Weapon_portalgun

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
There's also Geist, a paranormal shooter that no-one remembers that I keep mixing up with Second Sight, another paranormal shooter that no-one remembers.
And don't forget about Devil's Third, in which Nintendo have their very own Ryu Hayabusa called Ivan. Though I still don't know if this game is still co-own or given back to Valhalla Game Studios.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I have a feeling that this Fighter’s Pass is gonna be new IPs from companies already in smash, whether it’s first or third party. Part of that is because i’m hoping for BOF Ryu and Phoenix Wright so I’m possibly wrong, but it’s what I think is happening regardless.
I don't think there's going to be a theme, or at least not one that feels simple and straightforward like this one.

The first pass didn't really have a consistent theme, especially after Byleth. Third-parties wasn't the theme, new franchises wasn't the theme, fan favorites wasn't the theme — despite this, I still see a lot of people claim there was a theme, and those themes usually feel oddly specific.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think there's going to be a theme, or at least not one that feels simple and straightforward like this one.

The first pass didn't really have a consistent theme, especially after Byleth. Third-parties wasn't the theme, new franchises wasn't the theme, fan favorites wasn't the theme — despite this, I still see a lot of people claim there was a theme, and those themes usually feel oddly specific.
I mean, we technically have a 'new worlds' theme as none of the characters in the first pass had their games representated in Smash prior to their addition

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Spirit Event is most likely The Wonderful 101 Remastered just a prediction from the Trial of Mana (2020) Spirit Event.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, we technically have a 'new worlds' theme as none of the characters in the first pass had their games representated in Smash prior to their addition
True, but seeing how the very first character of the second pass was from an existing world, it's more likely that this was just a coincidence. Actually, I think Sakurai made the "new worlds" comment when additional characters were first revealed.

I don't think Nintendo or Sakurai strive for a theme (if anything, they try avoiding them). Discussions on themes have always felt like people rationalizing why a very odd blend of characters have something in common that was done intentionally.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Does anybody know some way I can get an image of an exact pallete swap of a specific character? I’ve been able to find a few online and I found one that was incredibly low quality. I’m looking for Ike’s player 7 alt if you’re wondering. But I was just wondering if there was a list of all of the characters alts that I could go to next time I need one.

And now to keep this post on topic
Sora is 100% in FP2 and you can expect him to come with over 200 tracks

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Does anybody know some way I can get an image of an exact pallete swap of a specific character? I’ve been able to find a few online and I found one that was incredibly low quality. I’m looking for Ike’s player 7 alt if you’re wondering. But I was just wondering if there was a list of all of the characters alts that I could go to next time I need one.

Since when were you a leaker?

SKX31

Smash Master
checkmate
TIL that Kobe's actually in Smash (and in one of my childhood games no less - alongside SM64, MK64 and Banjo-Kazooie). If it's one thing he undoubtedly has over Michael Jordan (besides total points scored over a career) it's that. And I'm saying this as a life-long Bulls fan because of Jordan and Space Jam.

(RIP #8 / 24. May your name long be cherished.)

And don't forget about Devil's Third, in which Nintendo have their very own Ryu Hayabusa called Ivan. Though I still don't know if this game is still co-own or given back to Valhalla Game Studios.
It doesn't look like Valhalla's active much if at all, and there might be a kerfuffle with Nexon (who published Windows-exclusive Devil's Third Online after the Wii U game was done). I've always interpreted it as a kerfuffle with Nexon, albeit could be off course there.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
checkmate
That is only in the Pal version though.

I find it interesing that Chronicle is probably the only time in Smash where we will ever see any mention of the likes of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Popeye and Snoopy (due to them beign featured in Game & Watch back in the day)

Fun Fact: The Western version lists Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, so Smash 4 isn't the first time the series is referenced (at least outside of Japan)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
True, but seeing how the very first character of the second pass was from an existing world, it's more likely that this was just a coincidence. Actually, I think Sakurai made the "new worlds" comment when additional characters were first revealed.

I don't think Nintendo or Sakurai strive for a theme (if anything, they try avoiding them). Discussions on themes have always felt like people rationalizing why a very odd blend of characters have something in common that was done intentionally.
Remember the "villains theme" some people and rumour goers where pushing during the pre release of Ultimate?

But yeah, the newcomers generally tend to have little, if anything, to do with each other and are pretty much included for their own individual reasons more than anything.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

So, StarTropics is going to be in a Nintendo Power Podcast, and maybe this is foreshadowing for Mike Jones in Smash.
Actually, hold up. Why has Nintendo been referencing StarTropics a lot, lately? Like, it's even referenced in the new Animal Crossing.

Perhaps a reboot? :4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Actually, hold up. Why has Nintendo been referencing StarTropics a lot, lately? Like, it's even referenced in the new Animal Crossing.

Perhaps a reboot? :4pacman:
You joke, but they could actually be planning to do something with the series. Doubtful anything major if anything at all, but I wouldn't call you crazy for entertaining the possibility of some sort of budget project for it.

ZelDan

Smash Master

You can use Smash Ultimate's official website actually. go to the page of what character you want and just click on them until the render you want pops up.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think there's something to the "theme" of "adding new worlds" insofar as to say that the newcomers themselves are from "new series" or "new titles" coming into Smash. The Packs themselves, not just the fighter, are new to Smash. That much, at least, has held true for every single Challenger Pack, including ARMS. It also makes things able to be advertised overall as to "new worlds" joining Smash, in a playable sense.

Thing is, that doesn't necessarily lend much of a "narrowed list" to the potential newcomers because of the large amount of series or characters, or titles, that could be brought into Smash through that lens.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
You can use Smash Ultimate's official website actually. go to the page of what character you want and just click on them until the render you want pops up.
Thanks! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while and it’s kind of dumb of me to not check the actual site.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sometimes you be serious but you're known too much as the :ultjoker: so everything you say is a joke. :079:

they could actually be planning to do something with the series. Doubtful anything major if anything at all, but I wouldn't call you crazy for entertaining the possibility of some sort of budget project for it.
Eh, StarTropics was an NES game, wouldn't be difficult to remaster from a top-down view like Link's Awakening unless they're going full-blown new perspective of the game.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Heck, I don't even think what's-his-name from Geist even has a support thread. No wonder we all forget.
John Raimi.

I ran that thread during the Smash 4 days at least I think I did. I think someone handed it over to me and I would love to have John in the game but as far as no hopers go he’s at the bottom bottom. Like, bottomless barrel bottom and I’m ok with that. Game is still great.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sometimes you be serious but you're known too much as the :ultjoker: so everything you say is a joke.
Nah, it's because you added a PAC-MAN at the end. That usually signifies that you're kidding.

Eh, StarTropics was an NES game, wouldn't be difficult to remaster from a top-down view like Link's Awakening unless they're going full-blown new perspective of the game.
Yeah. That's more or less what I was thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom