• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

So, StarTropics is going to be in a Nintendo Power Podcast, and maybe this is foreshadowing for Mike Jones in Smash.
If that happened then the universe has taken a light to me and I assure you the universe hates me so it ain’t happening.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I know Smash fans think every anime uses the same art style but shouldn't our first anime gun user be Mega Man? He's as close to Astro Boy as you can get.
True, that actually slipped my mind.

In that case we already have an anime gun user in the roster. Tracer would supposedly be the second.

andree123

Smash Ace
I believe that Japanese Nintendo employees who developed the fighter passes wanted JRPG characters in 1 & 2 because most of them are JRPG fans.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Is it really weird when he's defined by "Triforce of Power"? He shows power. It actually fits pretty well.
Yeah but he's known more for his mage shtick, which isn't quite what he does in Smash. I don't think his moveset as aggrigous as people claim though. Just a little odd.

I know Smash fans think every anime uses the same art style but shouldn't our first anime gun user be Mega Man? He's as close to Astro Boy as you can get.
Nah. If it doesn't look like Fire Emblem, then it's a cartoon.:4pacman:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also reminder guys.

Its that time of the week again.

Spirit Board/Event!

See who might be potentially deconfirmed!
I keep telling y’all, y’all sleeping on Darkest Dungeon spirits

no way in hell it’ll get a playable character, but seeing it otherwise represented in any capacity will have me super happy. Love that game

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If that happened then the universe has taken a light to me and I assure you the universe hates me so it ain’t happening.
I support you with Hayabusa, but Mike is way too niche, especially when we still have Isaac vying for the obscure legacy Nintendo IP spot.

SKX31

Smash Master
Never said the franchise is exactly like Sonic - more so that it's heading in that direction, based on marketing. Besides, it isn't like Mario games are unplayable by any degree - they are made with respect to the franchise. But, if it keeps heading in that direction, I fear the franchise may begin to lose quality over marketability, and... I don't want that to happen. As much as I don't seem like I'm saying this, I respect Nintendo - but what I am saying is, if their biggest franchise goes like this... it's not a good start. I don't want Nintendo to go like Sega did - I'm a big Sega fan too, ironically :colorful: As I say, though - feel free to take it as you will.
OTOH, I should point out that "Mario as a marketing tool" is not new - from the Nintendo cereal to the Mario cartoons (and the old movie) and honestly, Super Mario Bros as a series didn't decline in quality because of that. Also, the NSMB series started before Galaxy came out (and sure, the series went safe quickly), but 3DW was 6 1/2 years ago. They've shifted over to Maker / Maker 2 since. Also, Odyssey was the first game with a new director (Motokura), so I'm more confident that Mario's in safe hands.

Sonic's case IMHO is more due to a lack of any real direction - Lost World's villains were severly undercooked, Infinite is likewise undercooked (as is the whole of Forces) and both games suffered heavily from Sega throwing a lot of ideas at the wall without properly welding them together into a cohesive whole. That Rise of Lyric happened really didn't help matters.

Still, I do understand where you're coming from. Nintendo's strategy have shifted: Beyond mobile games, the upcoming SMB movie (with Illumination) and Universal them park, Nintendo have also started SMB collabs with Levi's and Lego. Pokémon's the perennial "Marketing IP" for Nintendo, but I find it kinda telling that they're doing promotions together with KFC in China.* They are ramping up the marketing yes, but it doesn't neccessarily have to come at the expense of the games' quality.

*(Incidentally one reason why I think one FP2 character being partly aimed at China is a very real possibility. Not certain, but a very real possibility.)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I know you made this post forever ago but I just woke up so- The thing is, what if the new director makes a crap game, but adds your most wanted character? Do you go and play the crap game? Or stick with Ultimate?
It's not like I have to choose between one game or another, I could own both and play one based on what I'm feeling like that day. If I want good game play I can play Ultimate, and if I want to play as Grovyle I could play the new one. I might even pick up modded Brawl, bexause someone's gonna remake these hypothetical newcomers in it.

Well... I was playing M.U.G.E.N, and something occurred to me - a traditional 2.5d fighting game, kinda like Street Fighter, KoF, or Mortal Kombat, but for Smash. I mean, you'd be able to reference a lot more source material with command inputs and such, such as Link, Simon, Cloud, Joker, and Bayonetta having more of their items, magic, moves and other such things. (After all, Cloud and Joker massively lose a lot of their magical abilities, Link and Simon have a lot of other items and such, and Bayonetta is from a Platinum game.) Furthermore, I'd love to see it in a sort of psudeo-anime style - kind of like the FighterZ artstyle - as I personally think it would suit the style and such of Smash as a whole. (For an example, check out that animated Link vs Pit video, it's gorgeous.) However, still having the 'classic' Smash alongside that would be good as well - more as a party game, and then the 'fighting game' can be this new one (where Nintendo would hopefully focus more on online play and such I CAN DREAM OKAY)
I'd be okay with this, I guess. I suck at command imputs (I can barely do a hadoken), so I probably wouldn't be very good at this new game, but as previously stated, Ultimate would still be a thing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah but he's known more for his mage shtick, which isn't quite what he does in Smash. I don't think his moveset as aggrigous as people claim though. Just a little odd.
I mean, he's been a physical brute as a character(Ganondorf specifically) 2/3 of his appearances(and used physical force magic-wise in OOT). It was slightly odd in Melee in a sense, since he was based upon a tech demo sword user, but once Brawl hit? No, not really.

Being physically strong is a major part of Ganondorf's self. He still uses magic, but I never found him honestly odd even in Melee. But that's cause what I really consider the most iconic thing is what his story purpose is the Triforce of Power wielder. I always felt he's pretty accurate, Melee aside(and also in Ultimate, since that's a non-canon sword). Now the one that actually feels all about magic is the pig version of Ganon(well, anthro pig version). And since only one was he describable as a physical brute(OOT), while still wielding magic in other appearances(and being the one to use weapons too, heh). And even then, magic isn't his only ability.

What's jarring is still trying to go with the tech demo version in Ultimate. The sword is fun, of course, but he doesn't even use one in OOT, so the timing just feels off. But it doesn't help he never uses a broadsword in a single canon game, so...

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
True, that actually slipped my mind.

In that case we already have an anime gun user in the roster. Tracer would supposedly be the second.
What about Bayonetta?
I think we can all agree Joker's our third in line for that anime gunshow. And don't forget, Banjo technically counts as our fourth, as he's an anime gunblade user. Yep, double duty as a anime swordie and pew-pew guy. Those big googly eyes are prime Shounen material.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Startropics and Endless Ocean are the only Nintendo franchises I can think of that have never gotten content in a Smash game before (aside from a quick mention in Brawl's chronicles).

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Let's ignore the fact that she's of western origin and thus, not eligible for the moniker of "Anime" whatsoever
If Shulk can be seen as an anime swordsman due to his aesthetics despite never actually being in an anime, then Tracer can be seen by somebody as an anime gun user just because Overwatch has an anime influence in their character designs.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
No, it does NOT have shooting elements! Because the Portal device IS NOT A GUN. It does NOTHING when you hit enemies with it! The thing makes doors on walls!

This is maddening that people think that anything that projects anything is a gun! As if garden hoses or flashlights are guns! You people are insane!

No, because said paint, ya know, blows people apart when you hit them with it.
Just watched gameplay of it, I would definitely call it a FPS/Puzzle hybrid. Regardless of whether or not it’s an actual gun doesn’t really matter, it’s the overall mechanics. Even if you were shooting water from a garden hose, it would still be an FPS, just wouldn’t be a conventional one. And the majority of portal looks like it utilizes that portal gun that shoots projectiles to solve puzzles.

Banjo and Kazooie had a multiplayer mode back in the day that was essentially an FPS. No guns, just shooting eggs out of Kazooie I believe. If that mode were stand alone it would easily be considered an FPS

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Lowkey there are three characters right now that I think are basically a lock for this fighters pass. I know some people might be shocked when I say that, but I would not bet against these three.

Crash, Travis Touchdown, Rex and Pyra.

Call it a gut hunch, but it makes sense to me. I could elaborate more if anyone wants me to. I may have some biases towards two of these but I am very confident right now.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Lowkey there are three characters right now that I think are basically a lock for this fighters pass. I know some people might be shocked when I say that, but I would not bet against these three.

Call it a gut hunch, but it makes sense to me. I could elaborate more if anyone wants me to. I may have some biases towards two of these but I am very confident right now.
I'd like to listen to you elaborate, if you want.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Aside from Rex. The other two are among my predictions.

A part of me is also feeling Ryu Hayabusa given Tecmo's involvement in the game and him being among the last NES all-stars.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let's ignore the fact that she's of western origin and thus, not eligible for the moniker of "Anime" whatsoever
Sir, you're using the term "anime" actually according to its real meaning and stylistic context, even practicing common sense on top of that. I'll have to ask you to return your Smash fan membership card.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This is so incorrect I feel like this is supposed to be dry humor so forgive me if this is but...

The term anime is a corruption of the word, animation, which really means that anything animated is an anime. The more useful and widely used definition is that anime refers to animations with the chibi or for lack of a better term, more Fire Emblem like artstyle*, and a use of different visual and story shortcuts than a cartoon. Anime did originate, and got it's style from, eastern cultures, but it's just a style, and any part of the world can make something like it if they wish (see RWBY). Likewise, eastern countries can also make cartoons. It's much less common and I don't think it sells well, but it can be done.

*I mean these as two separate artstyles. I'm not saying Fire Emblem is chibi unless we're talking about the Fire Emblem Heroes sprites.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Who do you guys think will be featured in this week's Spirit Board? I'm personally betting on Undertale characters seeing it's probably the most likely at this point. But what if we end up getting Persona 5 Royal/Scramble Spirits? It'd be a nice way to broaden Persona 5 representation.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I always thought “anime” was just the term for “Japanese cartoon,” and then sometime later, that it was actually the word for “cartoon” or “animation” in Japan.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I always thought “anime” was just the term for “Japanese cartoon,” and then sometime later, that it was actually the word for “cartoon” or “animation” in Japan.
So say it DID mean “Japanese cartoon”. Then technically, by rule of being made in a specific country, the only characters who aren’t anime would be:
:ultdarksamus::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:

…I’m grasping at straws, aren’t I?

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Wheatley be like "It's chewsday innit"

I mean, Yangus DID get his own game...
I always meant to ask this, but what the hell is the context in your signature? Anna's always just staring at Ms Marvel menacingly every time I scroll down the page

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pretty much its core meaning is "animation made in Japan".

The term for making characters created in the West to look like they were from a Japanese animation is animesque.

Anime Swordsman more or less is actually closer to "an animesque swordsman" at this point, regardless of character origin. However, if taken literally by using Anime as a description, the character would have to be made in Japan first. There's even Anime which looks like American cartoons too. And a lot of French animation is fairly animesque.

That said, obviously the term Anime Swordsman is meant to insult, so...

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Pretty much its core meaning is "animation made in Japan".

The term for making characters created in the West to look like they were from a Japanese animation is animesque.

Anime Swordsman more or less is actually closer to "an animesque swordsman" at this point, regardless of character origin. However, if taken literally by using Anime as a description, the character would have to be made in Japan first. There's even Anime which looks like American cartoons too. And a lot of French animation is fairly animesque.
That's not true at all. Anime is a style, it doesn't have any bearing on who made it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That's not true at all. Anime is a style, it doesn't have any bearing on who made it.
It seems this is true according to Merriam Webster and Wikipedia and whatever, while anime being the term used for “animation” in Japan is also true.

So...SpongeBob is an anime and isn’t an anime at the same time.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's not correct. Anime literally is a Japanese word used for animation and originated from Japan. It was always the definition of Japanese Art Style to begin with.

I don't know where you got the idea it didn't originate from Japan, but it very well did. Anime basically originated when Japan made its own animation style so they can make their own shows, influenced by Cartoons(specifically a Western Art Style).

Animesque is the concept of trying to draw something in an Japanese Animation artstyle.

The country of origin vastly matters in the history of animation types.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's not correct. Anime literally is a Japanese word used for animation and originated from Japan. It was always the definition of Japanese Art Style to begin with.

I don't know where you got the idea it didn't originate from Japan, but it very well did. Anime basically originated when Japan made its own animation style so they can make their own shows, influenced by Cartoons(specifically a Western Art Style).

Animesque is the concept of trying to draw something in an Japanese Animation artstyle.

The country of origin vastly matters in the history of animation types.
Ok maybe "at all" was too absolute, as I didn't mean to claim anime didn't originate in Japan, but shows that emulate anime aren't just animeesque, they are anime regardless of which country made it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Startropics and Endless Ocean are the only Nintendo franchises I can think of that have never gotten content in a Smash game before (aside from a quick mention in Brawl's chronicles).
There's also Geist, a paranormal shooter that no-one remembers that I keep mixing up with Second Sight, another paranormal shooter that no-one remembers.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
There's also Geist, a paranormal shooter that no-one remembers that I keep mixing up with Second Sight, another paranormal shooter that no-one remembers.
Heck, I don't even think what's-his-name from Geist even has a support thread. No wonder we all forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom