• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
it still boggles my mind that we don't have any startropics, endless ocean, and geist representation but what we do have is a spirit from freakin' number battle
some of those spirits are real odd grabs. now that i think about it, ultimate is probably the smash bros game that dug the deepest into nintendo history. that's pretty cool after smash 4 focused mostly on the at-the-time current console generation

Dinoman96

Smash Master
StarTropics not being repped in Smash makes sense when you consider that the original two games were never actually published in Japan. They still haven't even been released on Virtual Console/NES Online over there.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
it still boggles my mind that we don't have any startropics, endless ocean, and geist representation but what we do have is a spirit from freakin' number battle
some of those spirits are real odd grabs. now that i think about it, ultimate is probably the smash bros game that dug the deepest into nintendo history. that's pretty cool after smash 4 focused mostly on the at-the-time current console generation
Ever since 2017, I'd been hoping that DeMille from Tomato Adventure would be a rep to prove that there IS still a history to Nintendo besides what's popular and when it came to be. I'd been hoping desperately for him in the base game, but that slipped by once Spirits were announced. With ARMS being DLC despite having base game Spirits, there is still a bit of hope for Tomato Adventure, BUUUT it's not exactly high on my want list after the base game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Actually, hold up. Why has Nintendo been referencing StarTropics a lot, lately? Like, it's even referenced in the new Animal Crossing.

Perhaps a reboot? :4pacman:
They referenced it in what now? Where is it and is it only in the English translation?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wonder if that was in the Japanese version or if it was a different reference.
Someone would have to dig into the JPN files to find that out for themselves, but I'm betting more on a localized change.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I mean never releasing in Japan and being from the NES Era does hurt StarTropics's chances of ever getting anything beyond a spirit. Can you really blame someone for not being aware of a game's existence?
Hell, I never even heard of StarTropics until some random text leak claimed it'd get a remake on Wii U around 2014 or 2015. It was during one of the E3s.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
StarTropics not being repped in Smash makes sense when you consider that the original two games were never actually published in Japan. They still haven't even been released on Virtual Console/NES Online over there.
Hell, there is likely a fair amount of Nintendo employees that never heard of Star Tropics for that reason alone.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
EDIT: And that's probably a bad example since I wouldn't exactly consider Paper Mario to be a puzzle game and was surprised to find out it's current director says it is. It does give the new ring system some extra context as to why it exists though.
I mean, there's people that think Punch-Out is a puzzle game. So the bar is clearly way down at "if I have to figure anything out, it's a puzzle game."

So if file names are official, then I guess Hero's official name is Brave.

StarTropics not being repped in Smash makes sense when you consider that the original two games were never actually published in Japan.
Still...it's like the only Nintendo series with multiple games that doesn't even have SPIRITS in Smash.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
You joke, but they could actually be planning to do something with the series. Doubtful anything major if anything at all, but I wouldn't call you crazy for entertaining the possibility of some sort of budget project for it.
Not really. Nintendo of America loves to Reference Startropics, and rightfully so, as it was one brainchild of Genyo Takeda (who wanted to make games that catered to American audiences and beyond, he's also a big part in the Punch Out franchise) not to mention Startropics 2 even had Screenwriters from Nintendo of America working on the game.

But Nintendo's main branch couldn't care less. We will never see Startropics back again into the spotlight outside of honorable mentions made by Nintendo of America (and re-releases of the first game in future systems) all because it wasn't released in Japan (despite having notable Japanese developer Genyo Takeda behind it) meanwhile Panel De Pon, Mother, Fire Emblem, Murasame Castle etc all can get nods and references in Smash. Not fair man.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Startropics and Endless Ocean are the only Nintendo franchises I can think of that have never gotten content in a Smash game before (aside from a quick mention in Brawl's chronicles).
There's also Dragalia Lost. It's actually pretty weird we haven't gotten a spirit event yet.

Could mean Euden is coming I guess. He's honestly like the perfect "shill" pick. That kind of cross-promotion potential is super high since we're talking about an f2p mobile game with micro transactions. Unless there's some kind of tangled up rights issue with Cygames, it feels like it would be stupid for Nintendo to NOT do it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There's also Dragalia Lost. It's actually pretty weird we haven't gotten a spirit event yet.

Could mean Euden is coming I guess. He's honestly like the perfect "shill" pick. That kind of cross-promotion potential is super high since we're talking about an f2p mobile game with micro transactions. Unless there's some kind of tangled up rights issue with Cygames, it feels like it would be stupid for Nintendo to NOT do it.
To be fair, the only thing from a mobile Nintendo game is one track from Fire Emblem Heroes.

I'm not sure if representing mobile games is a high priority, cause Alfonse, Shareena, Anna and Veronica seem like no brainers for spirits. Veronica especially considering how popular she is.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Not really. Nintendo of America loves to Reference Startropics, and rightfully so, as it was one brainchild of Genyo Takeda (who wanted to make games that catered to American audiences and beyond, he's also a big part in the Punch Out franchise) not to mention Startropics 2 even had Screenwriters from Nintendo of America working on the game.

But Nintendo's main branch couldn't care less. We will never see Startropics back again into the spotlight outside of honorable mentions made by Nintendo of America (and re-releases of the first game in future systems) all because it wasn't released in Japan (despite having notable Japanese developer Genyo Takeda behind it) meanwhile Panel De Pon, Mother, Fire Emblem, Murasame Castle etc all can get nods and references in Smash. Not fair man.
Retro needs to make a StarTropics game... please?

cosmicB

Smash Ace
To be fair, the only thing from a mobile Nintendo game is one track from Fire Emblem Heroes.

I'm not sure if representing mobile games is a high priority, cause Alfonse, Shareena, Anna and Veronica seem like no brainers for spirits. Veronica especially considering how popular she is.
The FEH track is what prevented me from thinking "maybe Sakurai just hates mobile games" and throwing the whole theory out. He also considers it a mainline entry for some weird reason.

But yeah, I suppose that could still be a barrier. There would definitely be a vocal portion of the fanbase upset over a mobile character getting in, and Nintendo may understand that. But in that case, I don't see why they'd hold off on a spirit event for so long. People wouldn't be getting upset over that.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The FEH track is what prevented me from thinking "maybe Sakurai just hates mobile games" and throwing the whole theory out. He also considers it a mainline entry for some weird reason.

But yeah, I suppose that could still be a barrier. There would definitely be a vocal portion of the fanbase upset over a mobile character getting in, and Nintendo may understand that. But in that case, I don't see why they'd hold off on a spirit event for so long. People wouldn't be getting upset over that.
Would Nintendo even care? They added Byleth despite Corrin's backlash...

SKX31

Smash Master
Anyone else thinking that a Terraria spirit event could happen?
Never say never. Especially when the post-release Spirit events have been all over the place already. Not just Warframe, but also RE, Cuphead, Trials of Mana...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Man

Remember how back in May 2018, insiders were duped into believing that Retro Studios were working on a Star Fox racing game spinoff

Good times

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You say that like it's a crime bro, it's just a medieval waifu simulator with combat. :nifty: No need for the nihilism, just join us in accepting our FE overlords.

Tropical Freeze with New Funky Mode
Damn, I always forget the award-winning Funky Mode. Won three GOTY awards, two oscars for Funky's peformance, and even a grammy for its stellar soundtrack. Truly, their magnum opus, no wonder they haven't made games since.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Retro needs to make a StarTropics game... please?
Seeing how Retro is busy with the neverending MP4, i don't think so.

In my opinion, there's another studio who's just as capable of making a great Startropcis:

It would only be poetic that the studio behind Punch Out Wii, another one of Takeda's creations, would be involved behind Startropics.

Besides, i think after Luigi's Manision 3's DLC they probably have a little more free time on their hands.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
No idea, but I think for some, another Fire Emblem character was something people sort of assumed was happening anyway. They were just caught off guard by the timing.

Mobile is a different discussion entirely. Large swathes of the community seem to outright hate it as a concept still, even moreso than Fire Emblem.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Mobile is a different discussion entirely. Large swathes of the community seem to outright hate it as a concept still, even moreso than Fire Emblem.
I believe this is due to two reasons.
  1. The elitist view that mobile games aren't real games, or are just silly casual games that aren't worth their time.
  2. General distaste for lootboxes and microtransactions, which is basically the entire business model for mobile games.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Uh excuse me, that's actually a form of Chinese dragon, which makes the whole dragon aspect ten times cooler.

It only happens to look like a mutant deer with man hands. That's all.
would be cool if the hooves werent stupid ass hands. I like corrin and all but, really, hands as the hooves?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Man

Remember how back in May 2018, insiders were duped into believing that Retro Studios were working on a Star Fox racing game spinoff

Good times
That might have been a real project that got canned.

I mean. Retro studios had to have had some issues developing something. They haven't made a new project in years.

SKX31

Smash Master
I believe this is due to two reasons.
  1. The elitist view that mobile games aren't real games, or are just silly casual games that aren't worth their time.
  2. General distaste for lootboxes and microtransactions, which is basically the entire business model for mobile games.
While I wouldn't call it the entire business model, it's still a massive factor of the mobile sphere. (It's probably because it's much tougher to ask for upfront payment - even $5 - for games on the App Stores compared to full fledged games, leaving microtransactions as one of the very few avenues for mobile games).

Then again, if I were to add a 3. it would be the prevalance of shovelware (which was incidentally a criticism levied against the Wii). It's really easy to upload on the app stores, and the punishment for uploading shovelware is often slight.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

A part of me wonders if there's rights issues with the artwork from FEH. IIRC Castlevania has at least one artwork from its mobile game and we do have two FEH tracks, so it's not outright dislike for mobile games that's keeping representation out for it, but it's strange that none of the core trio or Veronica appeared. So it could be possible that since FEH uses multiple freelance artists and DeNA is a part of the project there may be some tangled rights to them that makes getting them not worth it, similar to how we don't have spirits for any of FF7's characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Seeing how Retro is busy with the neverending MP4, i don't think so.

In my opinion, there's another studio who's just as capable of making a great Startropcis:

It would only be poetic that the studio behind Punch Out Wii, another one of Takeda's creations, would be involved behind Startropics.

Besides, i think after Luigi's Manision 3's DLC they probably have a little more free time on their hands.
Is that egg head really Next Level Games' mascot? He looks like a Sonic mid-boss.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Japanese Gulliver simply says the greeting was nice.
That's the way it goes with translation.

Things that are cool in English are innocuous in the Japanese version
Things that are confusing in English are hilarious in the original Japanese

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A part of me wonders if there's rights issues with the artwork from FEH. IIRC Castlevania has at least one artwork from its mobile game and we do have two FEH tracks, so it's not outright dislike for mobile games that's keeping representation out for it, but it's strange that none of the core trio or Veronica appeared. So it could be possible that since FEH uses multiple freelance artists and DeNA is a part of the project there may be some tangled rights to them that makes getting them not worth it, similar to how we don't have spirits for any of FF7's characters.
The main trio and Veronica were designed by Nintendo staff, weren't they?

blackghost

Smash Champion
this is what smash means to a non-nintendo centric fan. also for those of you who dont know who max is, this is max.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I always thought “anime” was just the term for “Japanese cartoon,” and then sometime later, that it was actually the word for “cartoon” or “animation” in Japan.
Anime is derived from the french word "dessin animé" which means animated drawing. It doesn't really mean a cartoon that was made in Japan, the Japanese use it to refer to any cartoon in general, and not explicitly those that are Japanese in origin. For example, there was a nationwide survey about 15 years ago taken from a TV network about the best anime of all time and Tom & Jerry made it to the top 100. People outside of Japan use the word to refer to Japanese animations, but the Japanese use the word to refer to any cartoon in general.

Last edited:

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice

I think a mobile game character is likelier than I want it to be. I haven’t played any of Nintendo’s mobile games though. I think Euden could be cool I guess but he’s swordsman / dragon just like Corrin so idk if that’s gonna trip Sakurai off or not. If a character from FEH gets added would be added would it be this guy? I see this picture thrown around a lot. If so what’s with the giant ****ing spoon
B81EFB24-8FC0-4DEB-ADDD-0B6BE8ED1D48.png

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think a mobile game character is likelier than I want it to be. I haven’t played any of Nintendo’s mobile games though. I think Euden could be cool I guess but he’s swordsman / dragon just like Corrin so idk if that’s gonna trip Sakurai off or not. If a character from FEH gets added would be added would it be this guy? I see this picture thrown around a lot. If so what’s with the giant ****ing spoon View attachment 272180
That was for a specific Easter event for Heroes, not sure why that gets thrown around a lot. Here’s his base design:
640E320B-A75B-4E0C-970D-3B8491C384C9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom