• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Quick question: what have been the last bunch of Spirit Events with disconfirmations? I remember Trials of Mana being the last one, but before that?

Could Google this but I'm feeling lazy.
Animal Crossing New Horizons spirits.

For franchises not in Smash before receiving spirits, Ring Fit for first party, Warframe for third party (just Lotus as part of a generic event. For non-generic events, River City)

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
We got kinda close.

View attachment 272193

There have been numerous stages that confuse me on why they haven't been in the game. Like dude, where's my Wario Land stage? How long must Sakurai pretend that Wario Land doesn't exist?
Same, Wario Land is pretty much dead. (Shake It was the last game back in 2008.)
AAdQ5OAAAPSW (1).jpg

Not to mention that I pretty much want The Shake King himself as a fighter.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I guess we're not getting spirit boards for a while because of covid? That's my guess. Even if spirits aren't that hard to negotiate as full fledged fighters, I suppose that the current situation doesn't make easier the task of getting new spirits for the game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Speaking of stages in general, I really wish we had more competitively legal stages. I understand that it's wacky kwazy fun™ to go all out on Great Cave Offensive, but goddamn I could use a little more spice in my life than doing Pokemon Stadium every time I fight someone.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
We got kinda close.

View attachment 272193

There have been numerous stages that confuse me on why they haven't been in the game. Like dude, where's my Wario Land stage? How long must Sakurai pretend that Wario Land doesn't exist?
This leads to another question: we can turn hazards off, but for travelling stages like this, why can't we select the stage location?

It's definitely possible - there are a lot of Spirit battles that take place on certain stage morphs that aren't the default. It'd be fun to be able to play here and stay here.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I guess we're not getting spirit boards for a while because of covid? That's my guess. Even if spirits aren't that hard to negotiate as full fledged fighters, I suppose that the current situation doesn't make easier the task of getting new spirits for the game.
While that is one possibility, another is we may not be getting any for other reasons.

Remember there was a three month gap between Link's Awakening and Daemon X Machina spirits (ok not the best example considering we got 2 spirit boards and a promo spirit).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
but goddamn I could use a little more spice in my life than doing Pokemon Stadium every time I fight someone.
We have almost every legal stage we've ever had in Ultimate.

It's not the game's fault that some tournaments ban Yoshi's Island (Brawl) for some reason.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Did they run out of licenses for spirit board events? Because it's almost been over a month since the last spirit event deconfirmation.
We've gone months without new spirits before. December, for example, only gave us the anniversary and comfy shorts event, no new spirits. I doubt spirits are made overnight, so these events have probably been planned out for months already.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In all honesty, even if we get absolutely nothing until the ARMS character, this gap between new Spirits hasn't been that bad compared to most of 2019.

Actually, before SwSh, most of the new Spirits were spread out about a month apart from each other. It wasn't until just recently when we started to get new Spirits frequently.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly, FE has had some bad luck with stages even if I love Castle Siege and like Coliseum.
While it's technically not a specific (or very interesting) location, Coliseum is a based off of a recurring location/mechanic from the series, appearing in every single game except for Fire Emblem Gaiden, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, and Fire Emblem Awakening. So unlike Castle Siege, Coliseum is at least based on more than just general theming.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
In all honesty, even if we get absolutely nothing until the ARMS character, this gap between new Spirits hasn't been that bad compared to most of 2019.

Actually, before SwSh, most of the new Spirits were spread out about a month apart from each other. It wasn't until just recently when we started to get new Spirits frequently.
It's definitely a recent trend. We've been spoiled with new spirits this year so far. Only two more events and it surpasses the number of events that have brought new spirits before 2020.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

It's not the game's fault that some tournaments ban Yoshi's Island (Brawl) for some reason.
I think the competitive community took this opportunity to try and squash any semblance of variety anything that they could consider to be jank. This means that they'll pretty much only allow flat stages with varying semi-solid platform layouts and nothing more (unless you're Lylat Cruise for some reason). And if any two stages are too similar, the one they haven't been using in the previous game gets the axe.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
To think... Arena Ferox and Garreg Mach Monastery are the only FE stages based on a specific location.

Honestly, FE has had some bad luck with stages even if I love Castle Siege and like Coliseum.
Agreed, for as much as people give FE hell for its characters, it always has faltered with stages. Archanea was a missed opportunity that based on what Sakurai stated (it would've had onagers, mages, and dragons) would've been nice to see finished, Tellius has a number of locations that would've been cool to see, and something like the Opera House would've been great for Fates.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Oh another themed spirit event with no new spirits, meh.

Atleast it's kinda cool to see King Knight shown off in the main image promoting the event.

blackghost

Smash Champion
To think... Arena Ferox and Garreg Mach Monastery are the only FE stages based on a specific location.

can't have it all unless you are the mario series.

my only issue with ultimate and the competitive player base the stagelist. the fact we attempted custom moves in smash 4 and did not attempt hazard on/off mixed stage list is truly baffling.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Nah, Fire Emblem didn't get a stage until Brawl and even then it was based off generic locations. RIP Melee's scrapped Altea stage, ye may never be missed.

Plus, if Ultimate split stages between old and new, we could’ve gotten either the Opera House from Fates or the Temple of Mila from Gaiden as new stages.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
I never played ARMS before so when the character was announced I just looked at some quick gameplay and decided Min Min would be my preferred choice but I recently played the game with my friend who owns it and yo I want Dr. Coyle so badly now. Realistically what are her chances?View attachment 272185
Pretty high if Dr. Coyle can stole the Smash invitation letter from one of the ARMS candidates in a trailer; after all, in the ARMS video game, she supposedly stole Mechanica's blueprint to create Springtron, and ambush/took Max Brass spot in the boss fight. So, it wouldn't be strange within her personality to steal a invitation by either ambushing the candidates, or like in Joker's trailer, she is aware of the Smash invitation letter and stole it.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Pretty high if Dr. Coyle can stole the Smash invitation letter from one of the ARMS candidates in a trailer; after all, in the ARMS video game, she supposedly stole Mechanica's blueprint to create Springtron, and ambush/took Max Brass spot in the boss fight. So, it wouldn't be strange within her personality to steal a invitation by either ambushing the candidates, or like in Joker's trailer, she is aware of the Smash invitation letter and stole it.
Don't go giving people false hope! We all know it's 90% likely Spring Man, and if by some miraculous twist of fate that it's not Spring Man, it's Min Min.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think you predicted what's going to happen. :p Joker 2.0.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Are you talking about The Unfinished Swan?
Yes, exactly that one. I didn't remember anything about it aside of the general concept.

Wikipedia tags it as "adventure", though I was shown that game during a game design presentation and the person used it as example of how even FPS can be experimental (along with Super Hot).

OMG I'm looking at several websites and nobody calls it a shooter... first person only at best, regardless that you shoot through all the game. It definitely IS a shooter though... people really fear to use the word "shooter" outside of games where you shoot at people. By that standard, Halo is "adventure" too because it's mostly story driven and linear? (I mean, yes, it also is, but one genre does not exclude the other)

EDIT: This article talks about the history of FPS games, and it lists all the experimental ones as well. It has Portal, Unfinished Swan and Super Hot along with a few others. I think they are (also) FPS games, but people have troubles at calling them so because killing is not the primary goal. I think that excluding those games from the shooter genre is wrong, because shooting does not necessarily imply to kill someone. If anything, games where the primary objective is to kill the opponents shoud get a new definition, war simulator or something.

What's the general consensus on Minecraft's Steve at this point?

I haven't heard much talk about him for a long while.
I'm not interested in Steve, but I'm not against him, because in case he will be added, I would totally understand why he would. Minecraft is a big and influential franchise, and Steve became a gaming icon just like Mario.
If done right he can also have an interesting gameplay by the way.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Extremely good chance at being playable.

Easy gaming icon to add. At this point, it's just a matter of envisioning how he'd play.

Now, I'm aware that he hasn't turned down anyone due to a lack of gameplay ideas. However, we do know for a fact this is why he didn't add Pac-Man in Brawl too. This means it's a thing he has to deal with. "First, Nintendo makes a proposal and I accept that request. Of course, they ask what I think and we have discussions, so I can turn something down if I’m not satisfied, but I’ve never turned down an idea due to lack of gameplay ideas." This is also in past tense. Meaning as of now, yeah, he's never had a moveset issue. It doesn't mean a moveset can't hold him back. He's not infallible. He clearly won't have ideas for every character in existence on his own. My guess is that he works closely enough with other teams to get ideas so he never has to deal with a Pac-Man situation again, so it feels kind of lucky in that regard.

Either way, I think Steve is a pretty reasonable option. Balance is more of a thing than figuring out what kind of moveset to give. As in, how to make the terraforming stuff work without being broken. As we can see with how crazy Arsene and Hero's Magic can get, it's clearly difficult to balance some stuff. Hell, Bayonetta in 4(even when nerfed) shows that balancing movesets is difficult even for Sakurai. Being able to summon a lot of tools for different uses is no doubt a cool ability, but it's not rocket science making it work will be a lot harder than someone like Dr. Mario(I'd say Mario, but he's become a lot less easy to pick up since F.L.U.D.D. was added. Note that Kirby isn't easy to balance either due to his Copy ability), who is actually a very simplistic character.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If I were to add a Fire Emblem Heroes character, I'd pick Anna. She's a notable recurring character in the Fire Emblem series, so she doesn't and won't have the issue of being old and irrelevant like anyone from the Tellius series and backward*, she wields an axe in this game, so she wouldn't be able to be the target of anime swordsman haters (though there will still be hatred to her 'cuz Fire Emblem), and her roll as a shopkeep could lead to some creative ideas.

For example, Anna loves money right? So when you hit your opponents, money will pop out of them, and your goal is to collect it, just like in Coin Smash. For an extra cute touch, the type of currency can vary depending on the series your victim belongs to (Coins for Super Mario Bros., Rupees for The Legend of Zelda, Rings for Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.). And just like in Coin Smash, getting KOed will cause you to lose money. Now comes the fun part: When you collect enough coins, you can summon another Anna, and view her wares. Provided you have enough money, you can buy any one of her three items. Each Anna will have a cheap item that's only marginally useful (like a green shell or a boomerang), a medium priced item that's decently useful (like a Killing Edge or a Home Run Bat), and an expensive item that is very useful (Like a Bob-omb or a healing sprout). The Annas' stock will be different each time you summon one, so you can save up a lot of cash for a good item, but you will never know which selection you will get.

*meaning, side games where they bring back everyone and remakes aren't the only time you'll see her moving forward.
Say no more, my good sir.
Intro: Same intro as all the other FE characters.

Stance/Idle 1: The Trickster idle animation from Awakening, with her signature gesture.

Idle 2: Anna mimics her promotion pose from Awakening.

Idle 3: Anna mimics her render pose from Warriors.

Notable Palette Swaps:
-Heroes (default)
-Trickster (Yellow)
-Outlaw (Red)
-Merchant (Green)
-Shio (Blue)
-Path of Radiance (Orange)
-Hot Spring Scramble (White)
-Thracia 776 (Green)

Walk: Anna sneaks mischievously.

Jog: Anna skips along the ground.

Dash: Anna’s run animation as a Trickster from Awakening.

Damage: Anna’s damage animation as a Trickster from Awakening.

Jump: Anna jumps using one foot, and then twirls slyly.

Crouch: Anna sits down, constantly tapping her sword on the ground.

Weapon of Choice: Anna uses a variety of weapons at her disposal.

Jab: Anna quickly slashes twice with her sword (6% off, small knockback), flurries with it (2%-4% off each hit, small knockback) and finishes with a twirling uppercut (7% off, OK knockback)
Forward+A: Anna spins her sword, hitting the target twice (8% off, OK knockback)
Down+A: Anna slides her sword under the target’s feet (5% off, small knockback)
Up+A: Anna’s Trickster finisher from Awakening (9% off, OK knockback)

Air+A: Anna stabs on both of sides of her with sword (8% off, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Anna stabs forward with her lance (12% off, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Anna quickly slashes three times with her sword (9% off, OK knockback
Air Up+A: Anna stabs upward with her lance (13% off, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Anna spins downward multiple times with her axe (16% off with a meteor effect for free, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Anna jumps up and slams back down (11% off, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Anna disappears in a puff of Warp Powder and slashes the target (8% off, small knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Anna dispenses 8 gold as she frantically gets up (1% off each, small knockback)

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Sunder; Anna holds her sword like Marth’s Shield Breaker, and stabs forward (17% off, OK knockback)
Up+A: Anna jabs upwards with her lance (24% off, medium knockback); this charges and is used extremely fast, but leaves Anna with a bit of endlag.
Down+A: Overrun; Anna slashes in a 360 spin across the ground (27% off, medium knockback); she is surrounded by winds that blow away opponents not caught in the hitbox.

Grab: Anna grabs the target with a Warp stave in her left hand.
Pummel: Anna pokes the target with her sword (1%)
Forwards+Throw: Anna warps the target and launches them forward (9% off, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Anna warps the target and spikes them (12% off, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: Anna warps the target behind her and launches them (8% off, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Anna warps the target and jabs upwards at them with her sword (11% off, OK knockback)

Special Moves

B : Steal/Black Market; When B is tapped, Anna gets out a bag and runs around out of control, in which pressing A has her charge at the target and steal 15 Gold (10% off, OK knockback; she can also steal the opponent’s item). When B is held, Anna can purchase one of 3 weapons with the Gold she stole; this can be canceled out by shielding.
B + Forwards : Lance Jab; Anna dashes forward with her lance.
B + Up : Rewarp; Anna teleports herself a long distance (slightly more than standard teleport recoveries) in the direction the player holds the control stick.
B + Down : Helm Splitter; Anna readies her axe, and walks forward for7 seconds as long as B is held down. When the time is up, she attacks with her axe.

Final Smash: Anna-ttack!; A light glistens, and piles of treasure appear under any opponents who make contact with the light (8% off). The trapped opponents are then taken into a cutscene where a swarm of other Annas run towards the real one, and then maul the other fighters thinking Anna is among them (60% off, devastating violence on sale!)

Gimmick: Black Market; Anna can steal Gold from other fighters (which become Coins on Mario stages, Rupees on Zelda stages, or Rings on Sonic stages) with a tap of B (or she can earn up to 5 at a time, either though combos or K.O.’s). She starts off with 50 Gold, and the most she can carry is 200. When she has enough required Gold, she can buy one of 3 weapons via a menu that pops up by holding B.

The weapons she buys (which are upgrades to her starting weapons) have durability that deplete with use, similar to Robin’s Levin Sword and Tomes.

Her staring weapons are:
-Bodkin; a small dagger used for quick but weak attacks.

-Lance; an ordinary ance used for stronger basic attacks (Side B does 16% damage, OK knockback)

-Hand Axe; a small axe that Anna throws and returns to her (Down B does 13% damage, OK knockback). This does heavy shield damage.

With 50 Gold, she can buy:
-Iron Sword; a more basic yet serviceable sword. By tapping B, Anna’s Neutral B becomes Wrath Strike, in which she can perform a powerful slash by pressing B (17% off, OK knockback), using ⅓ of its durability.

-Iron Lance; a more powerful lance than the basic lance. Lance Jab travels nearly 1.5x the distance with the basic lance, using ⅓ of its durability.

-Iron Axe; a heavy axe that can’t be thrown. Helm Splitter becomes an attack where Anna slams down on the ground in front of her (21% off, medium knockback), using ½ its durability; this can nearly break shields instantly.

With 100 Gold, she can buy;
-Fólkvangr; the personal weapon of Alfonse, one of the main characters of FE Heroes. Anna’s Neutral B becomes Sol, in which she turns the sword into a pillar of light and slams a large area in front of her (23% off, medium knockback). This uses ½ the weapon’s durability.

-Leiptr; the personal weapon of Fjorm, one of the main characters of FE Heroes Book II. With this lance of ice, Anna’s Side B distance is the same as with a basic lance, but makes up for it by freezing opponents on contact (20% off, medium knockback). This uses ¼ of the weapon’s durability.

-Nóatún; Anna’s personal weapon in Heroes. Her Down B becomes Night Sky, in which Anna charges faster for 2 less seconds. Once the charge is complete, she slams down with extreme force (31% off, far knockback), creating a shockwave that attacks around her (12% off, OK knockback). This attack instantly breaks shields, but deals less damage (11% off, OK knockback). Regardless, this attack uses ½ the weapon’s durability.

Taunts
1: “Tee-hee!” Anna performs her trademark pose while holding her sword backhanded.
2: “Cha-Ching!” Anna’s victory animation from Awakening.
1+2: “Here it comes…” Anna glares forward with her trademark pose; the glare is taken from her critical hit portrait from Awakening.

Winposes
1: “Violence is on sale today!” Her victory animation from Awakening.
2: “Who’s next in line?” Anna mimics her artwork pose from Awakening.
3: Anna gets chased to the right by an army of pre-Awakening Annas with pitchforks, running away with Bullions.

Applause: Anna empties her bag, only to find nothing.

Icon: Fire Emblem series icon

Boxing Ring Title: Secret Seller

Victory Music: youtu.be/o0l6BSZURKE

Kirby Hat: Anna’s hair. When the player holds down B, Kirby uses the required Neutral B instantly (Wrath Strike at 50, Sol at 100). The most Gold he can carry is 100.

Droodle

Smash Lord

I think Steve has the best chance of getting into Smash, out of any Western character. Steve/Minecraft are super iconic, still sell like a truck nearly a decade later, pretty much revolutionized gaming in a lot of ways, are big pretty much everywhere, and Nintendo likes Minecraft too.

Now I don't think he's a lock or anything, but I would be shocked if Ultimate finishes without ANY Minecraft content at all.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Steve has the best chance of getting into Smash, out of any Western character. Steve/Minecraft are super iconic, still sell like a truck nearly a decade later, pretty much revolutionized gaming in a lot of ways, are big pretty much everywhere, and Nintendo likes Minecraft too.

Now I don't think he's a lock or anything, but I would be shocked if Ultimate finishes without ANY Minecraft content at all.
Personally I think Steve is one of those "not if, but when" characters.

He'll be in Smash at some point.

Just will it be for Ultimate's DLC or the next game?

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Steve mockup since we're talking about him now.

Edit: Pretend that Mice on Venus, Danny, Haggstrom, and Living Mice are on the music list.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Why the **** is this fire, if not a little too bass-y.
It's one of the new tracks by Celeste's composer for the next update. The other tracks are much more atmospheric, but music discs don't have to abide by those standards, so we got that.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Dixie Kong and Funky Kong are in Mario Kart Tour!

Do you think this is a good sign for Dixie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom