• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What's the general consensus on Minecraft's Steve at this point?

I haven't heard much talk about him for a long while.
He ain't gonna be a Swordfighter costume unless they want a person who isn't supposed to have joints get them suddenly.

Steve mockup since we're talking about him now.

Edit: Pretend that Mice on Venus, Danny, Haggstrom, and Living Mice are on the music list.
i hate how you made the second classic mode fight a straight herobrine reference unless it's a zombie but idk

i'm assuming wario/bowser is pillager & beast, and mewtwo is the wither, but what the hell are the other two meant to be

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
i hate how you made the second classic mode fight a straight herobrine reference unless it's a zombie but idk

i'm assuming wario/bowser is pillager & beast, and mewtwo is the wither, but what the hell are the other two meant to be
I made some very big stretches for the classic mode.

Olimar represents starting the game by getting resources.

The Villager fight is supposed to represent a zombie horde after settling in a village for the night.

Kirby is fought in the Great Cave Offensive where you're mining for resources (probably could've used something to represent the skeletons instead).

Dark Samus is supposed to be the Wither. Also meant to represent the Nether.

Wario and Bowser are a Pillager and Ravager, so I at least managed to make one clear fight. You're protecting the village you started in here.

The Mewtwos are supposed to be Endermen you're hunting for Eyes of Ender.

Rathalos is Ender Dragon.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think the Mario Kart Tour appearance does much for either Funky or Dixie now, but more appearances certainly doesn't hurt. If they can keep making appearances every so often in Mario spin-offs and avoid falling into a long hiatus, then that would make a solid case for them to be included.

We'll just have to see what's in store for the DK franchise going forward.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Dixie Kong and Funky Kong are in Mario Kart Tour!

Do you think this is a good sign for Dixie?
Dixie is my most wanted character, but I really don’t think it’s going to happen as DLC. Dixie being in Mario Kart has just made me want her in Smash even more, and her absence makes me even more upset now. :urg:

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What's the general consensus on Minecraft's Steve at this point?

I haven't heard much talk about him for a long while.
For likelihood of appearing as a fighter in Smash Ultimate, very unlikely but that's because I think the Banjo & Kazooie business was a one and done deal.

For moveset potential? Would be incredibly fun if he is done right but there is a very high chance that he won't be done justice. Sure you could give him a sword and shield and call it a day but they could do better than that.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
For likelihood of appearing as a fighter in Smash Ultimate, very unlikely but that's because I think the Banjo & Kazooie business was a one and done deal.

For moveset potential? Would be incredibly fun if he is done right but there is a very high chance that he won't be done justice. Sure you could give him a sword and shield and call it a day but they could do better than that.
Why would a character being in fighters pass 1 stop a character from appearing in fighters pass 2?

Shroob

Sup?
Why would a character being in fighters pass 1 stop a character from appearing in fighters pass 2?
I think that they meant they believe that Sakurai only obtained the rights to Banjo and Kazooie and not Steve at the time, which is something that frankly no one aside from Sakurai and the Microsoft heads would know about at the moment.

I do feel like though if Steve is going to be in the game that Sakurai 'probably' procured the rights for him around the same time as Banjo? Seems like it'd just be a convenience thing.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't know, I think Nintendo would be more open to exploring other companies than double dip with who they've already got on board. Also with the lack of Microsoft Mii costumes convinces me that Banjo & Kazooie was all they were allowed to use.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
I think that they meant they believe that Sakurai only obtained the rights to Banjo and Kazooie and not Steve at the time, which is something that frankly no one aside from Sakurai and the Microsoft heads would know about at the moment.

I do feel like though if Steve is going to be in the game that Sakurai 'probably' procured the rights for him around the same time as Banjo? Seems like it'd just be a convenience thing.
I mean it would be convinient yeah, but fighters pass 1 was decided in November of 2018, and fighters pass 2 didn’t even announce its development until September of 2019. He probably wasn’t thinking about future fighters during the acquisition of Banjo

I don't know, I think Nintendo would be more open to exploring other companies than double dip with who they've already got on board. Also with the lack of Microsoft Mii costumes convinces me that Banjo & Kazooie was all they were allowed to use.
Eh, I don’t really see company’s being an issue. Like you really think Nintendo goes “this character would sell well and people would enjoy their inclusion but we already worked with this company so nah”. Lack of Microsoft costumes is weird but that could always change with the addition of another Microsoft owned character

to clarify I’m not saying Steve is 100% in but I really doubt Banjo is stopping him from getting in. Also I’m calling it now if Steve is in he’s gonna be the last fighter

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean it would be convinient yeah, but fighters pass 1 was decided in November of 2018, and fighters pass 2 didn’t even announce its development until September of 2019. He probably wasn’t thinking about future fighters during the acquisition of Banjo

Eh, I don’t really see company’s being an issue. Like you really think Nintendo goes “this character would sell well and people would enjoy their inclusion but we already worked with this company so nah”. Lack of Microsoft costumes is weird but that could always change with the addition of another Microsoft owned character

to clarify I’m not saying Steve is 100% in but I really doubt Banjo is stopping him from getting in. Also I’m calling it now if Steve is in he’s gonna be the last fighter
Fighter's Pass 1 was decided MUCH before November.

They don't just say "Oh, we're going to do five characters" and then scramble for the rights. They procure the rights much, much earlier than that. Considering Sakurai said that they had already decided who the 5 FP characters were, and datamining the launch day build let us see that Joker and Hero had work put into them, the character's rights are always gotten first.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
And others always have? PP held none, yet it didn't matter. PP also took moves that only were in the RPG's/spin-offs. So clearly the spin-offs do matter. On the other hand, in those spin-offs, Waluigi does actually hold importance by being part of more than one story mode. PP doesn't do that either. As the franchise of Super Mario is represented heavily through main games and spin-offs? Yeah, I'd say the spin-offs matter, especially with no legitimate canon in the Mario franchise. They don't actually try to denote the spin-offs are really more or less important than the "core" Mario games(and the Core games are just literally platformers. Super Mario Run and Super Mario Land are among them. Super Mario Land was always treated as a spin-off till Nintendo said otherwise). The literal difference between spin-off and core is whether it's a platformer or not. With no actual canon, the term importance is a very misleading term to begin with. And when we have a generic enemy, who holds less importance that Waluigi has in any game? That point doesn't really click anymore. But it never did.

The thing is? We don't know why Waluigi isn't playable yet. Toad at least has the issue of having no specific abilities that he and only he can do. Waluigi does(air swimming). Could it be Waluigi doesn't have an entire moveset Sakurai could envision? Does Nintendo not want him to be used(Nintendo does have a lot more control than people think, after all. Sakurai cannot do whatever he wants. He isn't even choosing the Fighter's Pass 1 or 2, Nintendo is) as playable? Maybe Sakurai doesn't like the character(which we have no way of knowing either way)? There's multiple reasons why he isn't a fighter yet. Considering Rosalina's moveset is made out of thin air, it's more likely Sakurai has no visions for how he could work(he couldn't figure out ideas for freaking Pac-Man, so it's clear not every character will click to him) or Nintendo is denying the idea in the first place.
Yeah, though I swear Piranha Plant is just Sakurai being his usual self and having a 'wacky, out-of-left-field character that no one saw coming..he always likes to add those..and I still disagree with adding it in tbh.. And although Piranha Plant does use spin-off moves, just like Princess Peach and some other characters, its still a main series character as it originates from Super Mario Bros. We haven't had a spin-off game character playable in Smash Bros yet, the closest we got thus far is Daisy, but she still originated from Super Mario Land and is also an Echo (I think Waluigi would have been included were he able to be a Luigi Echo)

I don't know Sakurai's views, but if I were doing Smash, I'd kind of want to add in Waluigi as a Wario character and be bugging Nintendo to put him in a WarioWare game at least to justify it..Maybe I'm weird but I feel like its somehow wrong to have a character so related to Wario be put in as a Mario character instead..heck, Nintendo themselves even got confused in one of the Smash previews and labeled Waluigi with the W Icon instead of the Mushroom Icon.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I'm thinking more like "We've dealt with this company, what other companies can we get on board?" because even if there are more characters they could use from Microsoft, there are plenty of other characters from other companies they could go with instead and thus increase their partnership circle and in turn appeal to a larger audience.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
Fighter's Pass 1 was decided MUCH before November.

They don't just say "Oh, we're going to do five characters" and then scramble for the rights. They procure the rights much, much earlier than that. Considering Sakurai said that they had already decided who the 5 FP characters were, and datamining the launch day build let us see that Joker and Hero had work put into them, the character's rights are always gotten first.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958604818657282

literally November 6th, the fighters have all been finalized. And lmao what, do you work for Nintendo? How the **** do you know for certain that Sakurai is sitting there picking up rights whenever he gets the idea for a character. The characters get finalized when they get finalized, it’s really as simple as that. He doesn’t go “I want Banjo for fighters pass 1. But JUST IN CASE I FEEL LIKE MAKING ANOTHER, gimme master chief’s rights too.”
Now let’s say for example Sakurai decided not to make fighters pass 2 or Nintendo decided not to green light it? What is he gonna do with the character rights he got? Get a refund? Bruh that **** makes no sense

and don’t hit me with the “fighters pass 2 was definitely gonna happen” because you quite literally DONT know that ****. and yes I know about the datamines, there are like 30 more slots in the game, which are clearly placeholders, unless you’re suggesting we’re gonna get enough fighters passes to fill 30 ****ing slots

I'm thinking more like "We've dealt with this company, what other companies can we get on board?" because even if there are more characters they could use from Microsoft, there are plenty of other characters from other companies they could go with instead and thus increase their partnership circle and in turn appeal to a larger audience.
That’s true, but if that were the case we wouldn’t get Simon and Richter because we already got Snake from Konami. No Ryu or Ken because we already have Mega Man. Bayo and Joker can’t happen cuz we got Sonic.

I really don’t think company representation is a factor

Shroob

Sup?
https://mobile.twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958604818657282

literally November 6th, the fighters have all been finalized. And lmao what, do you work for Nintendo? How the **** do you know for certain that Sakurai is sitting there picking up rights whenever he gets the idea for a character. The characters get finalized when they get finalized, it’s really as simple as that. He doesn’t go “I want Banjo for fighters pass 1. But JUST IN CASE I FEEL LIKE MAKING ANOTHER, gimme master chief’s rights too.”
Now let’s say for example Sakurai decided not to make fighters pass 2 or Nintendo decided not to green light it? What is he gonna do with the character rights he got? Get a refund? Bruh that **** makes no sense

and don’t hit me with the “fighters pass 2 was definitely gonna happen” because you quite literally DONT know that ****. and yes I know about the datamines, there are like 30 more slots in the game, which are clearly placeholders, unless you’re suggesting we’re gonna get enough fighters passes to fill 30 ****ing slots

That’s true, but if that were the case we wouldn’t get Simon and Richter because we already got Snake from Konami. No Ryu or Ken because we already have Mega Man. Bayo and Joker can’t happen cuz we got Sonic.

"All fighters have been finalized" doesn't mean he didn't decide "Yup, I'm gonna call every company November 5th and demand I get 5 characters and work out all the messy legal reasons". What kind of fantasy world do you live in where companies will just magically hand over their properties in less than a day? Yes, all 5 fighters were finalized by November 6th, all that means is "Sorry Twitter, we're not taking suggestions, we already got the rights."

Sakurai literally talked with Microsoft in June 2018 E3, and we know that Hero and Joker had work done LOOOOOOONG before they came out, but if you wanna believe that Sakurai called up all his buddies in the industry and worked out 5 legal red tape cases in less than a couple days, be my guest.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
"All fighters have been finalized" doesn't mean he didn't decide "Yup, I'm gonna call every company November 5th and demand I get 5 characters and work out all the messy legal reasons". What kind of fantasy world do you live in where companies will just magically hand over their properties in less than a day? Yes, all 5 fighters were finalized by November 6th, all that means is "Sorry Twitter, we're not taking suggestions, we already got the rights."

Sakurai literally talked with Microsoft in June 2018 E3, and we know that Hero and Joker had work done LOOOOOOONG before they came out, but if you wanna believe that Sakurai called up all his buddies in the industry and worked out 5 legal red tape cases in less than a couple days, be my guest.
Yes, that is literally what finalized means? I get the feeling you don’t realize that I understand that the characters were done in November. I said the characters were decided in November, as in by November, the decision on who was going to get added had already been made. Why is that hard to grasp? Did you really think I meant every character was decided in the same month? Lmao

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, though I swear Piranha Plant is just Sakurai being his usual self and having a 'wacky, out-of-left-field character that no one saw coming..he always likes to add those..and I still disagree with adding it in tbh.. And although Piranha Plant does use spin-off moves, just like Princess Peach and some other characters, its still a main series character as it originates from Super Mario Bros. We haven't had a spin-off game character playable in Smash Bros yet, the closest we got thus far is Daisy, but she still originated from Super Mario Land and is also an Echo (I think Waluigi would have been included were he able to be a Luigi Echo)

I don't know Sakurai's views, but if I were doing Smash, I'd kind of want to add in Waluigi as a Wario character and be bugging Nintendo to put him in a WarioWare game at least to justify it..Maybe I'm weird but I feel like its somehow wrong to have a character so related to Wario be put in as a Mario character instead..heck, Nintendo themselves even got confused in one of the Smash previews and labeled Waluigi with the W Icon instead of the Mushroom Icon.
Waluigi doesn't appear in Wario games. It makes no real sense to add him as anything but under Super Mario right now.

I can understand that for, for say, Geno, since he can represent his own game or series. Or Tingle. But Waluigi doesn't have that luxury either. He's purely Super Mario at this time.

I honestly doubt Sakurai cares about "lol spin-off" at all. There's more important things, like how interesting the character can be. He's never suggested in any way that is relevant to his interests. Besides that, he wants to add Geno, a spin-off character by all means. It's clear being a spin-off is not a barrier in itself if he's willing to go for a spin-off character in the first place. Geno not being able to be added yet isn't some slight against spin-offs, it's always going to be difficult for licensing reasons alone. And I don't buy "it hasn't happened before so it can't happen now" as a legitimate counterpoint, so I'm going to shoot that idea right in the head. No, there's zero reason to believe he didn't add Waluigi cause "spin-off". I don't know where anybody ever got the idea it mattered in the first place. If there was no spin-off content in Smash in general and he never wanted Geno, yes, that might be a valid point. But that's not the case. He clearly is willing to add spin-off content(as proven with his own want of Geno as is), so I don't see how it remotely is relevant to Waluigi getting in or not. It's only reasonably something related to moveset issues, no personal interest towards the character alone, or Nintendo simply saying no. Nintendo didn't directly make the character, so it's not outright impossible they don't want him in certain roles. They sure as hell didn't add him outside of two Main Mario games as cameos at best(a costume in Odyssey and a costume in Super Mario Maker). So obviously he can show up in the Marin series, but as playable fully, it has yet to be seen.

And yeah, Daisy only got in cause popularity and an Echo to begin with. It was an easy addition. Waluigi doesn't have the luxury of being an Echo either, but he'd be in already if he could be. He needs an entirely unique moveset. There's simply higher priority characters from various other franchises too. Or ones who aren't a main character in any game(which is part of what Sakurai said about PP. I read the interview more clearly. It was "Hero or main character", basically). Waluigi, in a twist, is a main character... in one game(Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix) so clearly wouldn't fit mold PP was for. It wasn't even "enemy mook the character" either. It was "non-Hero non-Main Character". You could've had someone, like say, Voldo from Soul Calibur, who isn't one of the main characters in the story, and he's no Hero, and it'd fit the same mold.

Worth saying I think PP is one of the coolest additions to the game. We already had mooks somewhat since most of the Pokemon were in(only a few of them were outright based upon anime portrayals, and sometimes very loosely like with Jigglypuff. Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Charizard are clearly based upon their anime portrayals. Greninja really wasn't beyond one move animation, which was also in the games anyway, and only started to portray the anime version in Ultimate. Before that, essentially a generic mook. Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Pichu aren't based upon any particular portrayal, so are rather generic. Incineroar has a very specific design, though not anime-based. Definitely not a mook-based personality either).

--------------

To reply to the above, finalized means this is when all the negotiations were done. They can't do much work beyond proof of concept till that character and all its parts are licensed.

It does not remotely explain when they decided to start working upon it. However, I highly highly doubt that Nintendo licensed Minecraft as a playable character at the same time as Banjo. That'd be two years in advance at least, before there was an actual Fighter's Pass 2. It would've been for something like Spirits or a Costume. And then later on they renegotiated to make him playable, if it was plausible they licensed Steve beforehand. It sure wasn't for playable, obviously.

More than likely they went to Microsoft for another character later on, and the extreme lack of Microsoft content more suggests they weren't able to ever get costumes or spirits outside of B-K anyway.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Yes, that is literally what finalized means? I get the feeling you don’t realize that I understand that the characters were done in November. I said the characters were decided in November, as in by November, the decision on who was going to get added had already been made. Why is that hard to grasp? Did you really think I meant every character was decided in the same month? Lmao
So what are you even arguing about?

Legal mumbo jumbo takes time. As someone who's worked in advertising, **** like something as small as a poster or billboard can take weeks if not months of prep work behind a scene, and that's most certainly even more in regards to video game characters.

Of course, I disagree with this as well, because the first major patch that Smash got, say it with me, placeholder DLC spots, that are currently being used by our first Fighter's Pass + the 2nd. The pass sold alongside the launch of the game, and Sakurai 100% had enough metric market data to consider a 2nd Pass by February, when he added an additional 10 DLC spots into the game, the same pass that Nintendo considers a "Huge financial success."

I don't at all believe that it took as long to spearhead a 2nd pass simply because, not only was the pass available to buy when the game came out, but it was also during Christmas, and New Years for Japan. With such a perfect time, the majority of its sales where 100% within the first 3 months of its life.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I should have clarified that my argument is specifically for Fighters Pass 1 and 2, not in general. Even then for Konami's case, Simon/Richter and Snake were all ballot picks and apparently decided in 2015 so there is a reason for Nintendo to have them all. Same thing for Megaman, Ryu and Ken or Sonic and Bayonetta. Joker being the exception.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Not gonna lie, one of the things I think should be added is more content with Spirit Events. Hear me out, here.
Say, for instance - we have P5R, which has a few new characters, and some great music. So... if there were to be a spirit event for these characters, say that upon beating (insert spirit here) you'd get (insert music track here) or (insert mii costume here) or something of the like. Obviously, making brand new remixes in that way would be really difficult, but when there's series/franchise specific events, just throwing some music in or a Mii costume to spice it up would be pretty cool! It would provide a greater allure to using the feature as a whole, and after the conclusion of the event, the added content such as music or mii costumes would be available in the Smash Shop, as with most others, so that it's not so cheap for the people that don't want to use Spirits. Any thoughts?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I remember there was a Kongversation episode where the same guy who leaked that Nintendo got shocked over K. Fool’s performance talking about a rumour that Nintendo wanted to push the DK IP to the same level of prominence it had in the 90’s. Here it is explained.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Not really but if she's not in the next Mario Kart game I'll riot. Mario Kart 10 needs to pull an "Everyone is Here!"*

*Everyone but Mario Kart Tour exclusive alternate costume characters. Those can still be in the game, but the character select screen doesn't need to get bloated with things like Pit Crew Toad and Hiker Wario.
EDIT: Maybe they could keep them as separate characters, but give us the option to condense them into costumes.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
people really still confuse when nintendo announces something vs when they decided something. these two things are not remotely similar. as with all fighting games these days the elephant in the room is whether sakurai and Nintendo was working on DLC prior to the game release and if they were was it mere negociation or active development.

we know PP was in dev (and a large group including myself) think PP wa sintneded for the base game but due to the sheer size of ultimate was not ready for release at launch and given past dev history of smash this makes snese. in melee we know characters were either scrapped in concept or were not deemed a big enough priority and sonic with brawl delayed the entire games release because wii had no dlc add on.

we also know that the ballot was used to gather data on perspective characters but that data appears to be used so far for characters that got into the base roster plus banjo. in other words the retro characters that hadnt made it in that mostly had fan support.

we also know that given konami's company leadership and overall decisions in the last 5 years that it is reasonable to believe that it would take a second(and even third) character to make them want to play ball in negotiations. when sakurai has talked bout the stress and complications of this game i think he is mostly referring to dealing with square and konami as opposed to capcom and sega and microsoft.

and lastly there is the fact that nintendo is picking the list of characters for Sakurai to choose from. this eliminates realistically a few like waluigi and geno.
for the rest of this pass i'd expect more companies and games to get in with maybe a return to the more easy companies to work with like capcom and maybe sega. as legal negotiations are easier when the parties are already familiar with each other.

as for steve, i see him more as a mii costume than anything else.

Awesome that someone else agrees. Waluigi's like, the one and only case where him being in a different franchise than what he's technically associated with makes perfect sense, and is my preferred option.

He does exclusively appear in Mario games, yeah, but I don't think in this one case, it's so cut and dry. As you said, he's tied to Wario so much that it'd just feel wrong not to lump him in with his partner in crime. Normally, I'd say that justifies him being in the Mario series, but is he really that linked to the Mario cast that much? In Mario games, Waluigi is generally just... there. He exists in the sports spinoffs only and is in a weird gray area where he's arguably not even a canon character (even if I don't 100% agree), so I think that ''gray area'' justifies some wiggle room. His importance to Wario, though? It's always Wario he's seen in tandem with. He's Wario's right hand man (or brother, or cousin), and Wario's basically Waluigi's only friend, he can't connect with anybody else, especially not the main Mario cast that's underneath the Mario logo. (well, maybe he and plant would be cool.) Wario and Waluigi are united by not fitting in with anybody else, it's there deal, so it'd be symbolically perfect to lump them in to the same series.

Might be bending the rules, but we're talking about Waluigi, the ultimate cheater. Twisting the rules a bit feels appropriate.

TLDR: His weird situation as a Mario character, general unimportance to the wider Super Mario verse (as much as I love him) and his much greater association with Wario than any of the main Mario cast makes me feel like he fits better in the Wario series.

And my longest post in a while is about Waluigi belonging in the Wario series. XD

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I was thinking about something

yes, supposedly Ridley was used as Banjo’s base instead of Duck Hunt [CITATION NEEDED], but I know ppl have been connecting the new Bayonetta glitch to the ARMS character

and as some of you know there’s also a Ness glitch where his eyes disappear. He’d obviously have to be for FP7 if Bayo is indeed for ARMS.

I was also thinking about that Rayman copyright thing and the Ubisoft chat bot giving vague responses now as opposed to mentioning Byleth and the two Ubisoft costumes before...

Theoretically, COULD Ness work as a Rayman base and/or could Rayman borrow a few assets from Ness?

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge

yes, supposedly Ridley was used as Banjo’s base instead of Duck Hunt [CITATION NEEDED], but I know ppl have been connecting the new Bayonetta glitch to the ARMS character

and as some of you know there’s also a Ness glitch where his eyes disappear. He’d obviously have to be for FP7 if Bayo is indeed for ARMS.

I was also thinking about that Rayman copyright thing and the Ubisoft chat bot giving vague responses now as opposed to mentioning Byleth and the two Ubisoft costumes before...

Theoretically, COULD Ness work as a Rayman base and/or could Rayman borrow a few assets from Ness?
I mean, Ness' hitboxes for attacks like his tilts and smashes are pretty long? I know they could change hitboxes and such, but Rayman is known for his hands that just go wherever the hell they want?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think the skeletons would match up at all. Ness is short and squat, and Rayman is relatively tall.

Mario would probably do a better job, but that's assuming Rayman's limbs are even attached to his body. EDIT: Meaning he has arms and legs and stuff, they're just invisible.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't think the skeletons would match up at all. Ness is short and squat, and Rayman is relatively tall.

Mario would probably do a better job, but that's assuming Rayman's limbs are even attached to his body.
I guess if there’s one thing I can think of that they might have in common, it’s jumps. Isn’t Rayman kinda floaty? Ness has a floaty double jump

SKX31

Smash Master

I could see :ultridley: being :ultbanjokazooie:'s base, it's not out of the question. Animation-wise (and ignoring frame data differences):

*Both B attacks start with the projectiles bouncing down in an arch.

*Both side Bs start with Ridley / Banjo reaching back for a couple frames before the rush.

*Both have similar down-smashes, jabs, downairs, and (kinda similar) upairs as well as F-tilts

*Both grab kind of start similarily.

It doesn't conclusively answer it he was used as B-K's base, but they do move somewhat similarily in their attacks.

I mean, Ness' hitboxes for attacks like his tilts and smashes are pretty long? I know they could change hitboxes and such, but Rayman is known for his hands that just go wherever the hell they want?
Ness' hitboxes for reference:

I wouldn't call them super-long though - they do have some disjoints (his aerials especially). So it's possible maybe? If Ness is used as base for anyone, I'd suspect it'd be A) A projectile or / disjoint-centric character, or B) someone with a similarily short stature, like Reimu.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I guess if there’s one thing I can think of that they might have in common, it’s jumps. Isn’t Rayman kinda floaty? Ness has a floaty double jump
He does look a bit floaty, but he doesn't have a huge jump like Ness does. He can only hover to slow his decent (and in Rayman Legends, attacking slows your decent as well).

D

Deleted member

I don't know, I think Nintendo would be more open to exploring other companies than double dip with who they've already got on board.
But Nintendo has already double dipped with a company they’ve already got on board.

Themselves.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I feel Sakurai likely wouldn’t have negotiated for Minecraft stuff in 2018 if he did at all; Imran Khan said Fighters Pass 2 was decided around E3 last year, and Banjo was negotiated for around June/July 2018 if I recall correctly. I doubt Sakurai and Nintendo were planning anything regarding Pass 2 until they saw Pass 1 sales, greenlit a second season and then started talking who they wanna add in at least early 2019. This could leave Microsoft and other companies already represented in the game as still being possible for another character. As for Minecraft itself, it should also be easy to work with based on how Microsoft leaves just almost all (if not literally all) the control to Mojang, and Nintendo loves the game.

What you’re suggesting does make me curious about the 2018 “Steve was leakbait” rumors, though, and if he possibly wasn’t leakbait at all, just an early grab...I know Vergeben supposedly just had a bad source according to some people, but there was another dude Sabi or somebody talked to in the 1st half of 2019, saying he worked for Windows and claiming Steve was leakbait...though, then again, you’d think only higher-ups at Mojang and Microsoft themselves would know, and plus the Windows dude acted off, like he was backtracking...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What you’re suggesting does make me curious about the 2018 “Steve was leakbait” rumors, though, and if he possibly wasn’t leakbait at all, just an early grab
Is it possible that what was supposed to say "Microsoft content" got turned into "Minecraft content", either because of Microsoft owning the rights to the game or because their names start with MI and end in FT and have a C somewhere?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Is it possible that what was supposed to say "Microsoft content" got turned into "Minecraft content", either because of Microsoft owning the rights to the game or because their names start with MI and end in FT and have a C somewhere?
Vergeben specifically heard Minecraft stuff and some Steve stuff (though nothing concrete about him specifically, so he never claimed he would get in), though I also mentioned another dude who was admittedly a bit fishy in how he acted and tbh I don’t even remember where the post sharing what he said to Sabi or whoever was, likely some old post in the Banjo thread and maybe the Geno thread.

I guess, regarding the 2018 stuff, it’s possible Vergeben mixed up what he heard, though I don’t really see how he could hear “Microsoft” then jumble it up with Minecraft only (unless you mean he may have typed it wrong or something, in which case he really did mean Minecraft), but still it seems he may have just had a bad source instead of any actual leakbait.

Tbh though I still think the first part of my post is most-likely the case if Minecraft was negotiated and gets in; the latter thought just occurred to me, had me curious.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
But Nintendo has already double dipped with a company they’ve already got on board.

Themselves.

I'm aware of that. I'm saying this about other companies. I mean I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard for Nintendo to disagree with themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom