• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
How would you guys react to Max Brass or any ARMS character not in the game as a spirit or assist trophy? We've only been talking about the implications that would arise with Spring Man and the other main 4, but I haven't really seen much discussion on the opposite. Even if it's unlikely, humor the thought. Would you guys still have the same thoughts about promotions or would that change?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
According to Arms we're playing musical chairs with who's on and off the table. Look forward to Akira in Wave 3 in 2025 but be disappointed when the protagonist of Xenoblade Z and LEGS just barely miss the cut.
Well we're past the point of what was planned pre-release, so while base content can presumably be reevaluated, it doesn't make sense characters would've shown up as spirits in the last few months if they were going to be playable in the second pass.

If there was a third pass it'd be a different story, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

With ARMS now getting a rep, I think now Akira Howard is one of the safest bets you can make for a new Nintendo rep for the next Smash game especially if both Nintendo and Platinum have plans to make Astral Chain 2.
Obviously this DLC (and Ultimate in general) isn't being made with as much regard to future titles as Smash 4's, (given the next Smash is probably many years away), but it's still a bit surprising they chose to play one of their bigger first-party cards with the ARMS character now with DLC instead of next time with base.

That said, even since just the Switch launched there's been three new fairly successful IPs, so who knows how many more will come in the following years. Definitely a big shift from Blue Ocean Nintendo, who had a comparable (Smash-feasible) amount over almost a decade.

>Most people: Min min is definitely the choice for who's going to get into ARMS. She won the popularity poll, and is by far the most popular ARMS character. On top of this she's the developers favorite. It can't be anyone but Min min.

>Me: OK, but that's the exact same argument I used for why Yuri would get in over Lloyd. And I recall that being much more divisive then Min min being the clear choice because of popularity.

Everyone: View attachment 267456

Me: OK :(

Before anyone gets up in arms about this, it's just a joke. Don't take it seriously.
It is interesting to see people act like ARMS is the only fighting game series where the protagonist isn't the fan-favourite, when that's actually pretty typical.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It is interesting to see people act like ARMS is the only fighting game series where the protagonist isn't the fan-favourite, when that's actually pretty typical.
Let's be real, there's very few videogame franchises in general where the protagonist is the fan favorite. People tend to prefer what they aren't supposed to, they like to feel original and not manipulated - by default, protagonists carry the implication that you're supposed to like them.

Luke Skywalker isn't the most popular Star Wars character, neither is Harry Potter the fan favorite in his franchise, and so on. I'd say cases where it doesn't happen are the exception, not the norm.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
>Most people: Min min is definitely the choice for who's going to get into ARMS. She won the popularity poll, and is by far the most popular ARMS character. On top of this she's the developers favorite. It can't be anyone but Min min.

>Me: OK, but that's the exact same argument I used for why Yuri would get in over Lloyd. And I recall that being much more divisive then Min min being the clear choice because of popularity.

Before anyone gets up in arms about this, it's just a joke. Don't take it seriously.
Silly Droodle, Yuri doesn't have the Nintendo Significance, therefore this random chick doesn't compare to Lloyd.

In all seriousness I know nothing about Yur s character beyond that his story is about how murder is ok

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Let's be real, there's very few videogame franchises in general where the protagonist is the fan favorite. People tend to prefer what they aren't supposed to, they like to feel original and not manipulated - by default, protagonists carry the implication that you're supposed to like them.

Luke Skywalker isn't the most popular Star Wars character, neither is Harry Potter the fan favorite in his franchise, and so on.
Plus, protagonists are usually designed to be everymen, and often, (especially in video games) pretty "middle-of-the-road", so it's not surprising that other archetypes would be preferred, as they usually take more risks and have more personality.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st

Difference is: neither Lloyd or Yuri are in >B)/s

I do think that Nintendo's vagueness counts against it being Springman (or at least solely Springman), though -- and that's what makes Min-Min one of the most likely choices.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
With ARMS now getting a rep, I think now Akira Howard is one of the safest bets you can make for a new Nintendo rep for the next Smash game especially if both Nintendo and Platinum have plans to make Astral Chain 2.
EDIT: Ignore this, misread the post.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Arms has a great soundtrack really fun and energetic a perfect fit for smash it's great that it'll be easy to put the music in since its from Nintendos own pockets although some songs sound samey with the Oooooooo chanting but looking back now it gives the game its charm
top songs I think are gonna get in / Remixed they'll get a :starman:
Grand Prix (Title):starman:s

Spring Stadium (Spring Man's Stage):starman:
Ribbon Ring (Ribbon Girl's Stage) it's perfect already don't touch it
Ninja College (Ninjara's Stage)
Mausoleum (Master Mummy's Stage)
Ramen Bowl (Min Min's Stage):starman:
Scrapyard (Mechanica's Stage)
Cinema Deux (Twintelle's Stage)
Buster Beach (Byte & Barq's Stage):starman: I could see Yoko Shimomura liking this one and wanting to remix it herself.
Snake Park (Kid Cobra's Stage) it's already fantastic but i wouldn't turn down a remix
DNA Lab (Helix's Stage) already good so leave it be
Via Dolce (Lola Pop's Stage) i sure hope so
Temple Grounds (Misango's Stage)
Sparring Ring (Springtron's Stage) it's already a remix
Sky Arena (Max Brass' Stage):starman:
[NAME REDACTED] (Dr.Coyle's Stage):starman:
VS Hedlok (Grand Prix)
VS Dr.Coyle Hedlok
again really great soundtrack links to all the songs in spoiler

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
So I was looking into this thing ARMS did a while back with their Party Crash. While Min Min winning the last one has been brought up before hand, but the context to that victory is pretty interesting. From November 2018 to June 2019, the Party Crashes were called Party Crash Bash as it was a sort of tournament of sorts for the Arms characters with Min Min being the one to come out on top. Granted maybe at the time this wasn't for Smash, since it started when they were only just beginning work on FP1, but the fact it wrapped up around the time that some rumors have pointed to Fighter Pass 2 getting greenlit and the fact Nintendo had pitched the characters to Sakurai, does help Min Min's case a lot. As I and others have mention the final splatfest results of Splatoon 1 did influence the plot of Splatoon 2, so it is possible Nintendo took this entire tournament of sorts when they suggested an ARMS character to Sakurai.
https://arms.fandom.com/wiki/Party_Crash_Bash

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I would have 5 complaints.

1. FP7 is 1st party.
2. FP8 is 1st party.
3. FP9 is 1st party.
4. FP10 is 1st party.
5. FP11 is 1st party.

You mean, Super Smash Karts.
On one hand, that rules out Crash Bandicoot, and I will legit be disappointed if he's not in.
On the other hand, I'm a giant ****ing Nintendork and I'd love to see Dixie, Waluigi, Toad, Rex, and Impa.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
If Joker was used to set the tone of the first pass (lots of fancy third parties), and ARMS.rep is being used to, at least to some extent, set the tone of the second pass, then I would, for the time being, expect (most of) the characters in this second pass to either be from Nintendo or companies that seem to often be associated with or work well with Nintendo. (ie: Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Sega)

Of course, I'm assuming a lot regarding how Nintendo/Sakurai's dev team chooses to make and order DLC fighters here, but those are my current thoughts at the moment on the matter.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

1. FP7 is 1st party.
2. FP8 is 1st party.
3. FP9 is 1st party.
4. FP10 is 1st party.
5. FP11 is 1st party.
If just being from Nintendo is a mark against a character, Smash Bros. might not be for you.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

1. FP7 is 1st party.
2. FP8 is 1st party.
3. FP9 is 1st party.
4. FP10 is 1st party.
5. FP11 is 1st party.

I love the idea of Super Smash Karts so goddamn much, but I strongly doubt it ever happening. I know people will bring up the crossover characters, but they all just happen to be from the other main franchises Nintendo EPD works on. Mario Kart is just too big of brand name to drastically change anything about it, it's literally the best selling game on every Nintendo console since the Wii (barring Wii Sports which is debatable whether it even counts.)

At this point I'm just hoping the next Mario Kart game fixes the roster. I see Crash Team Racing adding in every character you can possibly think of from that franchise no matter how obscure, just because they can, while Mario Kart can't even put in E. Gadd or Diddy Kong, nooo, we need Baby Rosalina, and Raccoon Mario, and Pink Gold Peach.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If just being from Nintendo is a mark against a character, Smash Bros. might not be for you.
Every exciting Nintendo character is already in Smash. Which means any Nintendo character at this point is going to be underwhelming. And being underwhelming is a mark against a character.

Mario Kart is just too big of brand name to drastically change anything about it, it's literally the best selling game on every Nintendo console since the Wii
But what if Pikachu in a go kart makes it sell more-er-er!

Last edited:

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman

1. FP7 is 1st party.
2. FP8 is 1st party.
3. FP9 is 1st party.
4. FP10 is 1st party.
5. FP11 is 1st party.

This would actually be a pretty cool idea considering this is a Nintendo game. If I had to choose...

1. Impa (Hyrule Warriors version)
2. Cia/Lana (Hyrule Warriors)
3. Volga (Hyrule warriors)
4. Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
5. Cinderace (Pokemon)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This would actually be a pretty cool idea considering this is a Nintendo game. If I had to choose...
Forced to do an all Nintendo pass, I'd go with:

1. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl [ARMS]
2. Captain Toad/Toadette [Treasure Tracker]
3. King Hippo [Punch-Out]
4. Ganondorf [Hyrule Warriors] + old Ganondorf gets cut + Black Shadow gets added as a Captain Falcom echo with classic Ganondorf moveset
5. Uh...Bandana Waddle Dee...I guess?
6. *sigh* I dunno...

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Every exciting Nintendo character is already in Smash. Which means any Nintendo character at this point is going to be underwhelming. And being underwhelming is a mark against a character.

But what if Pikachu in a go kart makes it sell more-er-er!
NGL this about the attitude I would expect from a chimera of Gendo Ikari and Dr. House

Calamitas

Smash Champion
You know, all this recent talk about how ARMS might've been a marketing choice reminds me of this one guy who, pre-Byleth, kept saying stuff along the lines of "FP5 is gonna be like this super big mega-hype character like Master Chef, it only makes sense, trust me, I speak marketing".

I wonder whatever happened to him?

I would have zero complaints if the entirety of the second pass was first-party. I mean, it wasn't third-parties that first drew me to Smash. Because there weren't any back then. And it's not like we haven't already received an impressive amount.

I understand that wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but especially if ATs are back in the running, it's not like there's a lack of solid options from which to choose. That said, I can't imagine that's how things will play out; with little exception, third-parties are the biggest draws at this point.

And unfortunately, Astral Chain and Ring Fit are seemingly off the table.
I'd honestly be all for it. I mean, when I made my own "this is how I'd make a pass" mock-up, it was exclusively first-party.

Didn't have ARMS on it, but still.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
NGL this about the attitude I would expect from a chimera of Gendo Ikari and Dr. House
I agree with him
Once you move out of the Mario-pokemon-zelda-kirby range, I kinda struggle caring for the rest. Like if kid icarus characters or little mac just disappeared out of blue I'd just be zzzzZzZzZZZZZ

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Hmmm.

Who would you guys add as the Legendary Support Spirit on an ARMS Spirit Board?

I'd probably have Dr. Coyle with a 3-slot "Fist attack ^^^" effect that makes punches twice as powerful or something.

I agree with him
Once you move out of the Mario-pokemon-zelda-kirby range, I kinda struggle caring for the rest. Like if kid icarus characters or little mac just disappeared out of blue I'd just be zzzzZzZzZZZZZ
I don't mean that there's some untapped goldmine of hypre 1st parties (there's not) -- this guy just has a huge list of things he lists as 'underwhelming' or 'unhype' just because.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

1. Impa (Hyrule Warriors version)
2. Cia/Lana (Hyrule Warriors)
3. Volga (Hyrule warriors)
4. Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
5. Cinderace (Pokemon)
If FPVol2 is fully Nintendo I’d hope for

FP6: ARMS character (I’m thinking Ribbon Girl or Min Min.)
FP7: A Sword & Shield Pokémon
FP8: Dixie Kong
FP9: Impa
FP10: Paper Mario
FP11: A Rhythm Heaven character

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I don't think ARMS isn't really underwhelming in a say getting a new Fire Emblem, Pokemon, or even Mario rep would be as that brings a pretty recent Nintendo I.P to the table and one that Nintendo seemingly has plans to turn into a franchise if the past 2 days are any indication.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
It's probably been said one million times already but the character that's helped the most by the ARMS reveal is Rex (other than the 15 ARMS characters of course). I don't think you can consider anyone a lock but Rex is as close to a lock as possible in my book. I'm sure I don't even have to go over the reason why.

Luke Skywalker isn't the most popular Star Wars character, neither is Harry Potter the fan favorite in his franchise, and so on. I'd say cases where it doesn't happen are the exception, not the norm.
The exception then:
1585386010578.png

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A smash roster consisting of just the most recognizable of nintendo characters sounds absolutely miserable. You may as well just pick only the top 2 rows of the smash roster because that's the only part the Nintendo brand that the general public is even aware of.

I would think fans dedicated enough to post in a Smash-centric messageboard would have some broader taste in Nintendo games than just the top 5 most marketable ones.
20200328_021920.png

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
The exception then:
I'd wager Dio is more popular. If not by the fans then surely due to memes.:nifty:

I wouldn't say that its the exception though. A lot of main chars are the most popular in their series. Master Chief in Halo, Doom Slayer in Doom, Mega Man, Shantae, Reimu in Touhou (even backed by empirical data).. and I could list more. Depends on the narrative focus but both sides have enough examples.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So if they add a first-party character people end up getting excited by, is everyone else wrong, or are you?

Because whoever bets against people getting excited by a Smash reveal is someone who probably can't read a room very well.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So everyone is doing a Nintendo pass? Well let me try.

FP6. Don't care about arms so I don't care who gets in.
FP7. Adult Link (Ocarina of Time)
FP8. Paper Mario
FP9. Raimi (Geist)
FP10. Decidueye
FP11. No idea

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's probably been said one million times already but the character that's helped the most by the ARMS reveal is Rex (other than the 15 ARMS characters of course). I don't think you can consider anyone a lock but Rex is as close to a lock as possible in my book. I'm sure I don't even have to go over the reason why.
The only correlation between an ARMS character and Rex is that Sakurai would've included them had timing been different, but Sakurai isn't making the calls now - he didn't choose the ARMS character. So it comes down to if Nintendo wants to include Rex, which seems unlikely, given not only is XC2 not being pushed by them anymore, but a different Xenoblade game is.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
The only correlation between an ARMS character and Rex is that Sakurai would've included them had timing been different, but Sakurai isn't making the calls now - he didn't choose the ARMS character. So it comes down to if Nintendo wants to include Rex, which seems unlikely, given not only is XC2 not being pushed by them anymore, but a different Xenoblade game is.
XC2 isn't Mondo dead -- so Nintendo doesn't need to give it a smash rep to unkill it.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I honestly would've almost expected you to suggest that Nintendo purchase the Time Splitters IP and then make the obvious choice for this from there.
Big nope! I know full well how Nintendo is with fan games and if they purchase the TimeSplitters license, they will immediately shut down TimeSplitters Rewind and then do absolutely nothing with the series, just like they did with Eternal Darkness, F-Zero, Geist and maybe even Star Fox.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
A smash roster consisting of just the most recognizable of nintendo characters sounds absolutely miserable. You may as well just pick only the top 2 rows of the smash roster because that's the only part the Nintendo brand that the general public is even aware of.

I would think fans dedicated enough to post in a Smash-centric messageboard would have some broader taste in Nintendo games than just the top 5 most marketable ones.
It wont be miserable once you get crazy amount 3rd parties over them.
Palutena? Pit? No thanks
Now Valkyrie and Whirlo? That's KING ****.

But i'll play the smallest violin to the 5 Ice Climbers and 2 ROB fans on planet earth that unironically like the NES games if their that passionate about them I guess.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Good point though I don't think XC1 Definitive Addition being pushed right now is necessarily a hindrance to Rex. I do concede though that Nintendo choosing Rex is far from a sure thing.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Dang it, lads.
I hyped myself up for Lola Pop even though i now she's not getting in, why do i keep doing this to myself ?

Min Min would be a great addition though, and i'm pretty sure that it's gonna be her.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It wont be miserable once you get crazy amount 3rd parties over them.
Palutena? Pit? No thanks
Now Valkyrie and Whirlo? That's KING ****.

But i'll play the smallest violin to the 5 Ice Climbers and 2 ROB fans on planet earth that unironically like the NES games if their that passionate about them I guess.
Ironic how your taste in Nintendo games is so normie while your taste in non-Nintendo games is anything but.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom