• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This post would be even more confusing if I thought that you were referring to Isaac from the Binding of Isaac, but I hope that's not the case haha.
Thinking about it, Isaac would probably everyone's least favorite character:

Tiny? Check.
Projectile Zoner? Check.
RNG? Check.

Pretty much everything Smash fans hate is here.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
So does anyone know if it's true that Min-Min was trending on Twitter yesterday? Just curious.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Thinking about it, Isaac would probably everyone's least favorite character:

Tiny? Check.
Projectile Zoner? Check.
RNG? Check.

Pretty much everything Smash fans hate is here.
This sounds more like Binding of Isaac Isaac than Golden Sun Isaac.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
So does anyone know if it's true that Min-Min was trending on Twitter yesterday? Just curious.
Yes. I think I saw Spring Man pop up too, but Min Min had many more tweets talking about her. Not that it really affects either's chances.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Yep its all coming together now.

The ARMS rep is gonna be an new character and probably new protag/face/mascot/icon.
Again, the Switch news update specifically said the character is "from the ARMS game". Not "ARMS series", not even just "ARMS". It's pretty clear. Not to mention they wouldn't show the ARMS roster and "who is it?" and then come June say "lmao f*** off it's none of them"

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I will say, no matter who the ARMS rep ends up being, the fact that we're also gonna be getting ARMS music on top of it is pretty hype on it's own

ARMS music always felt like a weird absence in base, even without a fighter. And I don't think it was timing, assuming tracks from the likes of Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2, which both released months after ARMS, were also present

Nice to finally see it (or I guess hear in this case lol) getting it's much needed inclusion, assuming how banger the soundtrack is

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So what about someone from the 1st game using a new design that will be in Arms 2 if it happens this June?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So what about someone from the 1st game using a new design that will be in Arms 2 if it happens this June?
Since Min Min won the last Party Crash Bash I can see her potential ARMS 2 design getting in with her ARMS 1 appearance as an alt

Krankees

Smash Ace
So I took the time to listen to each character stage themes again and all I got say is Nintendo better allow at least 15 songs.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Okay here's my BIG post for why I think the ARMS character, if it's only one, is more than likely Min Min.

First off, as I'm sure you've all seen before, there was a big ARMS event that started in November 2018 (when Smash DLC was revealed to the public) and ended in June 2019 (around E3, when Nintendo decided to do the second pass according to insiders like Imran)
Its wording seemed to suggest it doubled as a popularity contest. Its final match had Min Min and Ninjara pitted together after several matches had the characters racking in victories.
In the end, the winner was Min Min.
With what I just said about the timing of this event in correlation to Smash DLC, it can almost be inferred that it was planned from the get-go, with the results gauging what character they may choose. This leads me into another piece.

The creator of ARMS, Kosuke Yabuki, is credited as a game supervisor for Smash Ultimate and has a bunch of other big positions for some of the Switch and Wii U's best-sellers
https://armswiki.org/wiki/Kosuke_Yabuki
In matches he's played, he uses Min Min in most cases, with the only other fighter used being Max Brass. His surprise performance at the ARMS open invitational with Min Min made a lot of waves, covered by a lot of YouTubers including Etika.
He even said himself in an interview that his favorite characters are Min Min and Spring Man.
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/arms-postmortem-interview-kosuke-yabuki-twintelle

We've seen characters getting picked based on developer bias before, especially with Terry and the extreme bulk of SNK content that Sakurai brought with it. So with Yabuki more than likely having a big role in picking the ARMS character as the creator of the series and a big part of Smash Ultimate's development, I could see his favoritism making some sort of influence in the pick.

So we have Min Min, the series creator's favorite character winning overall in an popularity contest for a game that was probably planned to get a character for DLC based on this event's results, ALL BEING UNIFIED BY HER RESTAURANT BEING CALLED THE "MINTENDO NOODLE SHOP"

I rest my case.
What makes it sound like a popularity contest to you?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
So about the potential sequel to ARMs that could be announced in June.

The main producer was open to a sequel two years ago. Plenty of time for a sequel to be started and finished in 2020 if it's a mission packed sequel like Splatoon 2 or Galaxy 2.

https://www.nintendoreporters.com/en/news/nintendo-switch/arms-producer-kosuke-yabuki-wants-a-sequel
This is the Mario Kart director.

He only does one game per console Gen.
I doubt we are getting Arms 2 until next gen.

Mario Kart 9 is more likely.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Hard disagree, but either way saying "oh it isn't enough to be recognized by everyone, everyone's got to love them too" is just moving the goalposts.

Those are obviously not the same people. I guarantee you not a single Dixie Kong or Bandana Dee supporter said that 1st party characters are boring. And I haven't seen anyone, even detractors, say that a moveset would be uncreative.

Seems to me that you just wanted to bash on characters you don't care about and used some people's complaints towards the new reveal as an excuse.
At this point in time, it's hard to tell who's who.

I do blame myself for bashing down characters on everyone's wishlist. At that point in time, I've just turned into some salty hermit. Just saying, the toxicity is strong on this one. I don't get how people lashing out on the ARMS deeming them as 'boring' and people still wanting Dixie and Waddle Dee wouldn't be one in the same. Course the blame's on me, because I, myself can't see myself getting excited for the both of them. I can see a lot more creativity done in Spring Man or...whoever the ARMS rep is, than I can with the two Ds. That's only me, I guess, and I blame myself for it.

And while we're on the topic of people complaints, BLIND Byleth hate, however still ticks me off to this day, because instead of fair criticism (like in here) we get DEATH THREATS and yodels such as 'Duhhh forget Byleth he fights EXCATLY like all the other Marths in the game'

And the majority of toxicity is too great to compare because odds are they're the same people who WANT Sora, Dante, and OTHER Anime swordsmen while lashing out on an anime swordsman WHO BARELY USES THE SWORD AS A SWORD.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm kinda conflicted on if ARMS being Fighter #6 is indicative of the rest of the pass. On the one hand, Joker kinda gave us a taste of some of the general trends of Fighter Pass #1: most of the pass were third parties, more low-key than the major gaming icons many people thought we were getting, and two were the protagonist of the newest entry in a long-running franchise.

On the other hand, two of the fighters were long-standing legacy characters mostly known for classic games (with Hero having shades of this from their costumes) and none of them were as overtly left-field as Joker was. Even if they weren't actively expected, many had at least acknowledged them as a legitimate option.

So, will Fighter's Pass #2 solely consist of spirits and assist trophy promotions of legacy Nintendo characters? That's unlikely, I'd be extremely surprised if we didn't get at least one new third party. Will Fighter's Pass #2 mostly consist of spirits and assist trophy promotions of legacy Nintendo characters? Maybe, but things don't fit as strictly into these provided patterns as it may appear. Just like with Joker, some elements of the first fighter will form a theme, but others won't.

Either way, I hope we get a good balance of Nintendo character and third parties. I think getting a mix of expected fan favourites and pleasant surprises would make the best roster and keeps speculation interesting. Rex and Bandana Waddle Dee can exist alongside the likes of Crash and 2B, and vice versa.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
At this point in time, it's hard to tell who's who.

I do blame myself for bashing down characters on everyone's wishlist. At that point in time, I've just turned into some salty hermit. Just saying, the toxicity is strong on this one. I don't get how people lashing out on the ARMS deeming them as 'boring' and people still wanting Dixie and Waddle Dee wouldn't be one in the same. Course the blame's on me, because I, myself can't see myself getting excited for the both of them. I can see a lot more creativity done in Spring Man or...whoever the ARMS rep is, than I can with the two Ds. That's only me, I guess, and I blame myself for it.

And while we're on the topic of people complaints, BLIND Byleth hate, however still ticks me off to this day, because instead of fair criticism (like in here) we get DEATH THREATS and yodels such as 'Duhhh forget Byleth he fights EXCATLY like all the other Marths in the game'

And the majority of toxicity is too great to compare because odds are they're the same people who WANT Sora, Dante, and OTHER Anime swordsmen while lashing out on an anime swordsman WHO BARELY USES THE SWORD AS A SWORD.
Keep in mind this, that I'm ALSO apart of the majority who wants Sora, while holding onto useless hopes on my boi Oliver. But I'm not gonna make a 10-minute death-threat hate letter and send it to Sakurai's doorstep because they won't come in.

(.....shooooot. Can't even delete this reply. Wasn't even going to BE a reply, but an edit. FURTHER proof of my stupidity.)

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'm kinda conflicted on if ARMS being Fighter #6 is indicative of the rest of the pass. On the one hand, Joker kinda gave us a taste of some of the general trends of Fighter Pass #1: most of the pass were third parties, more low-key than the major gaming icons many people thought we were getting, and two were the protagonist of the newest entry in a long-running franchise.

On the other hand, two of the fighters were long-standing legacy characters mostly known for classic games (with Hero having shades of this from their costumes) and none of them were as overtly left-field as Joker was. Even if they weren't actively expected, many had at least acknowledged them as a legitimate option.

So, will Fighter's Pass #2 solely consist of spirits and assist trophy promotions of legacy Nintendo characters? That's unlikely, I'd be extremely surprised if we didn't get at least one new third party. Will Fighter's Pass #2 mostly consist of spirits and assist trophy promotions of legacy Nintendo characters? Maybe, but things don't fit as strictly into these provided patterns as it may appear. Just like with Joker, some elements of the first fighter will form a theme, but others won't.

Either way, I hope we get a good balance of Nintendo character and third parties. I think getting a mix of expected fan favourites and pleasant surprises would make the best roster and keeps speculation interesting. Rex and Bandana Waddle Dee can exist alongside the likes of Crash and 2B, and vice versa.
With Fighters Pass 2 being a nice even six characters, it'll probably be a mix: three third party characters representing brand new series, and three Spirit/Assist Trophy/Mii costume characters who were already in the game in some form but will now be fully playable.

The fact that ARMS is getting a playable character at all, though, is already setting at least one nice precedent: DLC characters don't have to bring in "new worlds", and characters from franchises already represented in Ultimate are still on the table.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I will say, no matter who the ARMS rep ends up being, the fact that we're also gonna be getting ARMS music on top of it is pretty hype on it's own

ARMS music always felt like a weird absence in base, even without a fighter. And I don't think it was timing, assuming tracks from the likes of Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2, which both released months after ARMS, were also present

Nice to finally see it (or I guess hear in this case lol) getting it's much needed 1, assuming how banger the soundtrack is
Now that I think about it that it kinda weird.

Then why is it called an keyblade and treated like an sword as an weapon.

So still an sword.
Well most Keyblades are swords but Dora always uses his as more like a club, he bashes people over the head with it

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...but Dora always uses his as more like a club...
This typo pleases me greatly.

Dora....
Bruh now you're making me think of Dora the Explorer taking the boy's place.
Her Final Smash is the joke from the College Humour video.

"Vamanos!"
*turns to audience*
"That means 'let's go'."
*characters behind her get launched by an explosion*

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I've only played the opening of the first Golden Sun game, and even I know that there's far more to how Isaac fights than just using a sword.

This post would be even more confusing if I thought that you were referring to Isaac from the Binding of Isaac, but I hope that's not the case haha.
It’s not. I know Isaac does more than use a sword, but so does Euden. It’s solely based on them both looking like anime swordsmen.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
s just really boring… Announcing a franchise with no cgi trailer, no model, not even a character in the middle of a unannounced direct is honestly the most boring Smash announcemen
I don't know. Seems to be kind of genius. People are talking about ARMS. Folks are trying it for the first time. Everyone is guessing who it will be. Nintendo started a lot of discussion about their old game by doing this. Seemed like a good idea.

A safe rule is not to assume to much. Yeah, ARMS could signal a greater focus on Nintendo's own stuff. But it could just as easily be that ARMS was an outlier and the next 3-4 additions will be new series from other companies. My money is on the former over the latter but who knows. It could go either way.

I think it's safe to guess they'll have at least one non-Nintendo series and one Nintendo character from an existing series. This is just based on the other passes. But, again, we'll see.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
So all blades are swords now?
View attachment 267441
Pictured: A sword apparently.

So anything you hold at one end and swing around is a sword now?
View attachment 267442
Pictured: A sword apparently.
Imagining a bat sword is kinda funny and here's a fun topic let's talk about Arms music
What songs do you want in the game honestly since this franchise is owned by Nintendo we don't have to worry about not getting all of them or at least the important ones but what song would you want remix from arms and by what composer (obviously a composer associated with smash already) I'd want Kid Cobra's theme Remixed by Yuzo Koshiro

Imagining a bat sword is kinda funny and here's a fun topic let's talk about Arms music
What songs do you want in the game honestly since this franchise is owned by Nintendo we don't have to worry about not getting all of them or at least the important ones but what song would you want remix from arms and by what composer (obviously a composer associated with smash already) I'd want Kid Cobra's theme Remixed by Yuzo Koshiro
Seconded on Kid Cobra's theme.

I don't have a composer, but I could see something interesting being done with Min Min's theme.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
maybe the hate isn't against swords
maybe it's against... fire emblem characters being both plentiful and unvaried in aesthetic...
Zelda has a lot of characters too but they also have a dedicated magic user, a ninja and a br-war-lord. Pokemon runs the gamut of elements and styles. I think there are many sword users you could add who would be considered varied enough to stand out in aesthetic and mechanics.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
maybe the hate isn't against swords
maybe it's against... fire emblem characters being both plentiful and unvaried in aesthetic...
Zelda has a lot of characters too but they also have a dedicated magic user, a ninja and a br-war-lord. Pokemon runs the gamut of elements and styles. I think there are many sword users you could add who would be considered varied enough to stand out in aesthetic and mechanics.
The hatred of sword users is because of Fire Emblem and how similar its 8 characters are. Most Smash fans think that FE is unworthy of that many characters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>When you're 6 foot tall roided out body-builder with a giant ass sword and people still can't tell you apart from white haired twink that turns into a water deer

Ike People.jpg

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would have zero complaints if the entirety of the second pass was first-party. I mean, it wasn't third-parties that first drew me to Smash. Because there weren't any back then. And it's not like we haven't already received an impressive amount.

I understand that wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but especially if ATs are back in the running, it's not like there's a lack of solid options from which to choose. That said, I can't imagine that's how things will play out; with little exception, third-parties are the biggest draws at this point.

And unfortunately, Astral Chain and Ring Fit are seemingly off the table.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
And unfortunately, Astral Chain and Ring Fit are seemingly off the table.
According to Arms we're playing musical chairs with who's on and off the table. Look forward to Akira in Wave 3 in 2025 but be disappointed when the protagonist of Xenoblade Z and LEGS just barely miss the cut.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
With ARMS now getting a rep, I think now Akira Howard is one of the safest bets you can make for a new Nintendo rep for the next Smash game especially if both Nintendo and Platinum have plans to make Astral Chain 2.

Droodle

Smash Lord
>Most people: Min min is definitely the choice for who's going to get into ARMS. She won the popularity poll, and is by far the most popular ARMS character. On top of this she's the developers favorite. It can't be anyone but Min min.

>Me: OK, but that's the exact same argument I used for why Yuri would get in over Lloyd. And I recall that being much more divisive then Min min being the clear choice because of popularity.

Everyone:
unnamed.jpg

Me: OK :(

Before anyone gets up in arms about this, it's just a joke. Don't take it seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom