• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Guess I should put in my Nintendo pass:
1. Spring Man (with Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min as alts)
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Rex and Pyra
4. Dixie Kong
5. Toxtricity
6. Waluigi
Probably the safest (as in most likely) picks of all these Nintendo-only passed that have been posted

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
We're doing Nintendo passes now?

1. ARMS (already confirmed) (My ideal would be a Hero situation with Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min)
2. Rex & Pyra/Mythra
3. Dixie Kong
4. Impa
5. Andy/Sami/Max (as a Pokemon Trainer trio)
6. Akira Howard

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
You're way to nice to kid icarus if you think it's a "B-lister" lol
What the hell you do have against Kid Icarus, my friend? 3-4 posts in a row making fun of the series. It's clear that you don't like the franchise, but it isn't necessary to be annoying with that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My Nintendo Pass:

1:Spring Man(with other ARMs characters as alts)
2:Bandana Waddle Dee
3:Meowth
4:Waluigi
5:Rex & Pyra
6:Starfy(with Starly as an alt)

Last edited by a moderator:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
The pessimist in me says that the ARMS character is Springman/Ribbongirl as alts, and the new Party Crash is just to see who is the 'main' slot and who is the alt.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Every exciting Nintendo character is already in Smash. Which means any Nintendo character at this point is going to be underwhelming. And being underwhelming is a mark against a character.
How to have a bad take 101.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's my Nintendo Pass.

76: Minmin
77: Elma
78: Medusa
79: Black Shadow
80: Bandana Dee
81: Dixie Kong

Last two are for their fans.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's my Nintendo Pass.

76: Minmin
77: Elma
78: Medusa
79: Black Shadow
80: Bandana Dee
81: Dixie Kong

Last two are for their fans.
This one is probably my favorite, I’d only swap out Medusa for Octoling and THEN it would be perfection

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
My Nintendo Pass...

76. ARMS Composite Character (i.e. Hero)
77. Andy
78. Isaac
79. Elma
80. Dixie Kong
81. Ganon (ALttP)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Every exciting Nintendo character is already in Smash. Which means any Nintendo character at this point is going to be underwhelming. And being underwhelming is a mark against a character.
Smash fans then: "Get these 3rd parties outta here! They're tarnishing Super Smash Bros.'s legacy as a celebration of Nintendo!"
Smash fans now: "Nintendo characters are so boring. More 3rd parties please!"

I'm joking of course, but it is funny how things change.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If I had to make a Nintendo-only Fighters Pass, this is what I'd go with. I'm assuming that assist trophies aren't options (since they play an active role in gameplay), but spirits are options. (because it seems weird to rule out over a thousand characters because there's a single PNG file of them in the game)

-Min-Min (ARMS) - I'm not overly familiar with ARMS, but by my understanding, Min-Min's the most popular character. Plus, she seems to know kung fu, which will allow for some variety and make it so not all of her attacks have ludicrous range

-Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X) - not sure if Rex would still be considered too late to make it into this pass or not, but we could use a Xenoblade character, and Elma's generally been used to represent XCX. Plus, I wouldn't want the game to be forgotten just because it was on the Wii U.

-Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101) - as far as I know, Nintendo still owns the property, and Platinum characters have already transitioned quite easily into Smash's style of gameplay. Plus, as the recent Kickstarter shows, the Wonderful 101 is still a decently popular property.

-Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country) - this seems like a no-brainer, and I find it weird that she hasn't been added to Smash yet.

-Bandanna Waddle Dee (Kirby) - it seems weird that Kirby hasn't gotten a new character since Brawl, and Bandanna Waddle Dee has been one of the core cast members since the Wii. Plus, given how much Smash's gameplay is based on the Kirby games, most of his moveset is already made, and he seems to be a popular pick even if some people dismiss him as a "Goomba with a hat". (which would be like calling Ridley a Charizard clone)

-Impa (the Legend of Zelda) - Zelda is long overdue for a new, unique character, but it seems like the best options are assist trophies. (Tingle could work, but it seems like he'd be a divisive choice) Ideally, they'd go with her Hyrule Warriors appearance, but if that's not an option for whatever reason (I doubt it, but Geno's a Mario character who's owned by Square-Enix, so I have no idea how this all works with Koei Tecmo), then her Skyward Sword design could work.

I would have liked to include more new franchises (Sin & Punishment, Eternal Darkness, or Custom Robo, for example), but I felt like some of the returning franchises could really use another character.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Aight I guess I may as well make a Nintendo pass like everyone else.

FP6: Min Min/ARMS amalgam
FP7: Cynthia from a Gen IV remake/Grovyle from MD
FP8: Waluigi
FP9: Black Knight/Death Knight from FE
FP10: Akira Howard
FP11: Whatever undead Ganon is in BotW2

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It wont be miserable once you get crazy amount 3rd parties over them.
Palutena? Pit? No thanks
Now Valkyrie and Whirlo? That's KING ****.

But i'll play the smallest violin to the 5 Ice Climbers and 2 ROB fans on planet earth that unironically like the NES games if their that passionate about them I guess.
1585412423090.png

this is literally the first time i've heard of a Whirlio

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
My take on a "Nintendo-only" pass, albeit with one exception that I would at least consider an "honorary Nintendo character"...
  • Fighter 6 - ARMS character
  • Fighter 7 - Rex & Pyra
  • Fighter 8 - Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Fighter 9 - Waluigi
  • Fighter 10 - Phoenix Wright
  • Fighter 11 - Excitebiker

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If we start with Byleth and work our way backwards, eight of the past fifteen characters have been third-parties (:ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:).

It's fine if you prefer third-parties, but no one is really in a position to complain about "yet another boring Nintendo character". Smash has always had a focus on Nintendo for obvious reasons, and I think it's a little ridiculous to act like two first-parties in a row is completely unbearable.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
First Party Pass?

#6 Min Min
#7 Karate Joe
#8 Elma
#9 Baboom Cinderace
#10 Bandanna Waddle Dee
#11 Hades

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So if they add a first-party character people end up getting excited by, is everyone else wrong, or are you?
I think you THINK you know the answer to that. But the real answer will surprise you.

Smash fans then: "Get these 3rd parties outta here! They're tarnishing Super Smash Bros.'s legacy as a celebration of Nintendo!"
Smash fans now: "Nintendo characters are so boring. More 3rd parties please!"

I'm joking of course, but it is funny how things change.
I assume nothing has changed and that was probably 2 different groups of fans. Those "No 3rd party! Tarnishing Nintendo!" people still exist. They just don't voice their opinion anymore because they know it's not popular.

Likewise the "I only care about 3rd party now" people have existed since Brawl. Again, they just don't often say it out loud for fear of being shouted down.

I do it anyway, because that's what heroes do.

I would think fans dedicated enough to post in a Smash-centric messageboard would have some broader taste in Nintendo games than just the top 5 most marketable ones.
What I'm a fan of, is good games.

Not every Nintendo character in Smash comes from a good game. And I won't pretend their game doesn't suck just because they have a character in Smash.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Ohhhh, we're doing Nintendo only passes

• 76. Min Min - Besides Party Crash, I think she works best for Smash out of the potential canidates. Her Dragon Arm plays into ARMS's charging mechanic and she can kick
  • 77 Elude - Nintendo would try and promote this game. Its second anniversary is coming up so it's a good time for a cross promotion
  • 78 New IP - Probably something Nintendo is working on or Monolith Soft's new game. Maybe Retro is that project survived
  • 79 Classic - Lets say Excitebiker or Balloon Fighter. Something to mix it up that people don't expect
  • 80 Rex/Pyra - Figure they'd add them as they're popular enough, XC2 doesn't have a stage and there is enough music to draw from (would probably add some from XC2, Torna and XCDE).
  • 81 - BoTW2 character- Kind of like Byleth, they'll probably add a character from a newer game. BoTW2 will likely be out by then. Plus its a big enough game to warrant it. Sylux is another possibility for MP4.
Kind of vague on some details but I wanted to stick to the general idea of what they would do. I expect a guest or two though I think it would be promotional. My guess would be Travis Touchdown given NMH3 and I'm sure Nintendo and Sakurai have heard about the demand for him since the Brawl days.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I made this first party fighter pass a few months back, and I think it still holds up well. Throw in Min Min or Dr.Coyle or whoever for the remaining slot.
nintendofp.PNG

CureParfait

Smash Ace
First Party Pass

FP6- Spring Man
FP7- Darkrai
FP8- Waluigi
FP9- Hilda
FP10- Marx
FP11- Kumatora

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
My take on a "Nintendo-only" pass, albeit with one exception that I would at least consider an "honorary Nintendo character"...
  • Fighter 6 - ARMS character
  • Fighter 7 - Rex & Pyra
  • Fighter 8 - Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Fighter 9 - Waluigi
  • Fighter 10 - Phoenix Wright
  • Fighter 11 - Excitebiker
Change Excitebiker with Mach Rider and it's perfect

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If we start with Byleth and work our way backwards, eight of the past fifteen characters have been third-parties (:ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:).

It's fine if you prefer third-parties, but no one is really in a position to complain about "yet another boring Nintendo character". Smash has always had a focus on Nintendo for obvious reasons, and I think it's a little ridiculous to act like two first-parties in a row is completely unbearable.
Yeah. Not gonna lie, most of my most wanteds at this moment are 3rd party characters so naturally I'd like to see some 3rd party representation in the pass (and we will have at least 2-3 3rd party characters in it, I'm sure of that), but as you said Smash Bros is a Nintendo game so it's only natural that Nintendo characters are a big part of it. Just like when people say that Smash caters more to the japanese audience because it's a japanese game.

Maybe a good amount of the remaining Nintendo characters aren't massive stars in the industry like Mario or Pikachu, but I mean, that's not a fair comparison. Nintendo has a cool and interesting group of characters that aren't in the game, and just because an ARMS rep isn't as big as some 3rd party choices it doesn't mean that an ARMS character is a bad pick, and the same applies not only to an ARMS character but to any Nintendo character.

About making a Nintendo pass, I'd like to see something like this, but some of my picks are super unlikely at best:
- ARMS character
- Isaac
- Chorus Kids (or any Rhythm Heaven rep)
- Dixie Kong
- Lyn
- Hades

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't know if I can make a full prediction pass with specific characters, but this is close to what I expect if we're only looking at first-parties.

A few characters from Switch games that have come out in the past three years:

1. Spring Man
2. Rex/Pyra
3. Gen 8 Pokemon (Rooting for Zacian)

One, maybe two characters who are highly requested:

4. Waluigi
5. Dixie Kong or BWD

And finally, a promotional character from a game that Sakurai got early access to:

6. BotW 2 character

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
What I'm a fan of, is good games.

Not every Nintendo character in Smash comes from a good game. And I won't pretend their game doesn't suck just because they have a character in Smash.
Alternative viewpoint: Smash is its own game, and whether you think the games that characters come from are good shouldn't have a bearing of how fun they'd be in Smash, not should them being in Smash change how good their game is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It wont be miserable once you get crazy amount 3rd parties over them.
Palutena? Pit? No thanks
Now Valkyrie and Whirlo? That's KING ****.
Replacing Pit and Palutena with the absolute no-names that are Great Value Palutena and (after googling what the hell Whirlo is) Green Grimace is a terrible idea.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Lol, you guys are SO ****ing mad about that Kid Icarus vs. Valkyrie comparison. I'm pretty sure he was joking. Jesus Christ.

Alternative viewpoint: Smash is its own game, and whether you think the games that characters come from are good shouldn't have a bearing of how fun they'd be in Smash, not should them being in Smash change how good their game is.
That viewpoint basically boils down to "Every character choice is great, no matter what." and is therefore, utterly valueless.

It's for sad Smash apologists to justify pretending to still be excited when a character from a game they don't care about gets announced. And nobody buys it.

Last edited:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
my wishlist if I could only include first parties would be
Dr. Coyle
Dark Matter
Vaati
Masked Man
Starfy
Isaac
I just like a lot of villains tbh and I think we need a little more. Starfy was a part of my childhood and I think Isaac is cool and I like how they play in SSF2.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Lol, you guys are SO ****ing mad about that Kid Icarus vs. Valkyrie comparison. I'm pretty sure he was joking. Jesus Christ.

That viewpoint basically boils down to "Every character choice is great, no matter what." and is therefore, utterly valueless.

It's for sad Smash apologists to justify pretending to still be excited when a character from a game they don't care about gets announced. And nobody buys it.
Alternative viewpoint: I like Smash because it's Smash, and a new playable character being added to the game is cause for excitement, no matter what bum**** f-tier game I've never heard of the character is from.

You once told me that if I need X guest character to be added to Y game to get excited about Y game, it meant I didn't actually like Y game and just X guest character. Could it be that you don't actually like Smash?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You once told me that if I need X guest character to be added to Y game to get excited about Y game it meant I didn't actually like Y game and just X guest character.
Yeah, because I care about THE CHARACTERS.

If you don't care about any of Tekken's characters without a Street Fighter character in it, then you clearly don't care about Tekken and would rather just be playing Street Fighter.

Could it be that you don't actually like Smash?
I love Smash. Sorry I ain't one of those "characters are just functions" guys.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, because I care about THE CHARACTERS,

If you don't care about any of Tekken's characters without a Street Fighter character in it, then you clearly don't care about Tekken and would rather just be playing Street Fighter.

I'd say there's a massive difference between "characters are functions" and "I can find value in a character addition even if they don't appeal to me specifically."

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Yeah, because I care about THE CHARACTERS,

Ultimately, they are. Sakurai set out to create an accessible fighting game -- and then came up with the crossover idea second (with Iwata's help), when he and his team had trouble designing characters with an identity of their own. The characters fulfill the function of being the roster for the game -- rather than the game fulfilling the function of having a roster to add characters to.

That's why games like PSASBR failed, while games like Rivals of Aether succeeded.

Not that Sakurai doesn't add characters based on their merit to the crossover -- but part of the decision is definitely what that character could bring to the game beyond star-power -- and he definitely chooses to implement characters in ways that add to the game, even at the cost of faithfulness to their home game (see Byleth being able to wield all the relics). I'd bet my ass that the reason Plant got in over Waluigi, Toad, or Geno is that Sakurai thought he would add more to the game with the moveset he made for Plant than the ones he would make for those other characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys! I'm unbanned. As some of you have seen by me liking every other post, I've been keeping up with the thread and have been shocked we got ARMs!

I have my own personal opinions on what I think will happen. Unfortunately, this post:

That's right, Fighter's Pass 6 will be multiple characters in one. Spring Man as the default skin, Ribbon Girl as skin 2, Ninjara as skin 3, and Min Min as skin 4. The remaining 4 will be skins of those 4 based on other characters from ARMS, much like Hero's skins. This way, you have the 4 most notable characters from ARMS, a perfect balance of 2 girls and 2 boys, and the 4 of these characters all have almost identical proportions, much like the Heroes, meaning they could easily be the same character. All 4 of them can share moves that may have been exclusive to on of them before, for example all of them could use Min Min's mid-air kicks.

I feel this is the best way to represent ARMS, as it's not just about one character, but the whole cast of interesting and unique characters. To my knowledge, most characters share the same gameplay style but with slight, character-exclusive abilities so it would feel natural enough to include 4 characters in one.
This post right here perfectly detailed my exact thoughts before I could!

Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min are perfectly suitable to be clones of one another. They have similar proportions, different genders can have different models (which solves the issue of all four of them having the same animations), and they all play relatively simple. Sakurai is most likely wanting to represent ARMs gameplay above all else, so a single defining moveset for these four would encapsulate the experience. From a general standpoint, these guys are all the faces of ARMs and are more recognizable than someone like Max Brass or Dr. Coyle--who both were added after ARMs released. Before someone says Twintelle, I say Twintelle is more the ass of ARMs and not the face. I don't think she's being chosen.

Before someone says "Ninjara plays differently from Min Min who also plays differently from Ribbon Girl and shouldn't be boiled down to alternate costumes," I'm gonna say Dark Samus is a literal clone of Samus based purely off of body proportions. Fanservice bends all rules. I don't think general consumers would care if they get to play their favorite character out of the four, especially Min Min who dominates popularity discussions.

Color me surprised if we don't get any of the four characters discussed and get, like, Kid Cobra or something. That'd be the day, but I'm going off of my instincts and I think they're the four most likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Nintendo Passes?
  1. ARMS character(actually hoping for Springman here so it ends pointless speculation rules for good)
  2. Captain Toad
  3. Dixie Kong
  4. Akira Howard
  5. Bandana Waddle Dee
  6. Rex/Pyra
I'm randomly for no reason making everyone a Switch character here:
ARMS is obvious
Captain Toad was released on the Wii U but it's Switch version was not only a bigger seller but recieved three sets of DLC last year with the addition of a two player mode, new levels and a LABO update(something only Mario Odyssey, Zelda Breath of the Wild and Smash also got)
Dixie was one of the main faces of Tropical Freeze, which like Captain Toad was originally a Wii U game that was ported. Could be Cranky or Funky, but I'll throw all my support behind Dix.
Akira Howard is also the main character of a new IP in Astral Chain
Bandana Waddle Dee is but one face from Star Allies, but he's easily the biggest Kirby character left
Rex and Pyra to finish off the pass since everyone thought Rex was numbered due to the Mii outfit. I think that'd be a nice surprise for their fans.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Before someone says "Ninjara plays differently from Min Min who also plays differently from Ribbon Girl and shouldn't be boiled down to alternate costumes," I'm gonna say Dark Samus is a literal clone of Samus based purely off of body proportions.
I still reject this example on the grounds that Dark Samus has been misrepresented due to not having any of its natural abilities, as well as abilities it does not have access to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom