• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
You know what I hope for in the future? Spirit events for more spirits from the DLC franchises, even if they already have Spirit Boards.

Like, all of them have more characters you could work with, it adds more representation from them, and because the character already got in, there's no fear of disappointing fans who were hoping they'd be playable (let's be honest, who was asking for Sojiro Sakura, or Duck King, or Ferdinand von Aegir?). Plus, it'd be a relatively easy way to make them feel more like they were a part of the game?

Hell, since they added the Tockles Spirit to the board, they could have Spirit Board Expansions.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Nope.

And given the way things are shaping up right now, it may stay that way for the next 4-5 months.
Well, that's for the best. I'm sick of people leaking the roster when Sakurai's already working on building up the final roster for the game. Just let the head honcho do his work for the sake of everyone here, is what I say.

D

Deleted member

Well, that's for the best. I'm sick of people leaking the roster when Sakurai's already working on building up the final roster for the game. Just let the head honcho do his work for the sake of everyone here, is what I say.
Definitely agree. Well, chilling from discussion is quite refreshing to say the least.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
When are you guys going to realize you cannot predict who is getting in or not lol. Some of you act so smug in being so set in your ways that you’re right.

At the end of the day, does it matter who gets into smash bros? Not really. It’s just a super cool thing to have a character you’d like in! Just celebrate what we have and may get.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
So all that talk of getting a direct within the next few weeks was all bologna?
Never said the Direct rumors were false.

Also, I know I have argued in favor of a reveal next week just yesterday, but at the end of the day, Sakurai himself said it was going to take awhile for the next reveal.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Also, I know I have argued in favor of a reveal next week just yesterday, but at the end of the day, Sakurai himself said it was going to take awhile for the next reveal.
I wouldn't be surprised if the next reveal could happen at E3, or a presentation video that reveals FP6, kind of like when the last presentation video revealed Byleth (hopefully this next character doesn't divide the fanbase). Not that that a reveal in a Direct that is rumored to be broadcasted this week is impossible, but we just got Byleth nearly two weeks ago, so it is likely too soon to reveal FP6.

Probably explains why speculation has been slow as of recently.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Heihachi then walks up beside Bowser and claps his shoulder approvingly with a smug smirk as Bowser Jr flails to the abyss below.
The weirdest thing is that I can actually see Bowser being mad at Heihachi for throwing Kazuya off a cliff. Say what you will about Bowser's princess kidnapping shenanigans, but if there's one thing the Switch Parental Controls video tells us, it's that he apparently takes his parental obligations more seriously than we give him credit for. :joyful:

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
If they ever make Zero (the one from MMZ, not MMX) a fighter (DON'T GIVE ME THE SPIRITS DECONFIRM BS, he has potential), here's how I think it would play out.

There is an anime cutscene of Zero wandering through a desert, fighting through Neo Arcadia's forces, similar to the opening stage of Mega Man Zero 2. However, when he destroys the last golem, instead of Zero fainting, Harpuia appears and gives Zero a letter he's never seen before. Zero grabs it, and as Harpuia leaves, Zero notices the letter has a red stamp on the envelope. It was a letter to join Smash.

After the splash art ("Zero Turns The Tide!" is what I was thinking of) passes by, there's some gameplay of Zero, his attacks, and some of his costumes. Later, there is gameplay of Zero's stage, and Zero's Final Smash is shown. The trailer goes back to the anime cutscene of Zero in the desert, being contacted by Ciel, who asks what happened. Zero tells her what happened, and after he teleports back to the Resistance base, the trailer ends.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of ideas for a heihachi reveal if crazy Dave From PvZ was the next fighter what would be your ideas for a reveal trailer for him

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
If the Byleth icons are almost done then the remaining Heroes besides Eleven are next.

It's been almost 6 months since they were released.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
We're never getting the stock icons for Builder Mario and Wedding Mario, are we?
To be fair if we're going by "everything that has a Fighter Spirit" then I suggest Crafted Yoshi as well.

Though, now that I look again, we don't seem to have a smiley for Wario's classic look, only his WarioWare one. Hmm.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of ideas for a heihachi reveal if crazy Dave From PvZ was the next fighter what would be your ideas for a reveal trailer for him
here is one I thought up of after I posted the question.
If they would wanted to start it off with showing smash then reveal the newcomer they could do kind of a repeat of hero’s reveal and do were the good guys are losing and then the controlled enemies get hit with some peashots and then it shows crazy Dave with a bunch of plants protecting him.

KillerCage

Smash Master

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I was using Auto complete to figure out what I should name my island in New Horizons and It gave me "The Island of Ireland"
Pretty cool idea, I've been waiting forever for Animal Crossing to hit the Switch, and making your name on a Island is ingenious.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
You... are...

You wouldn't happen to have seen this video, right?
Yeah this is what has really made me start wanting him in smash, I was wondering if anybody else had any ideas for Crazy Dave
Edit: I love brawlfan1’s moveset videos they are really good.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You know what I hope for in the future? Spirit events for more spirits from the DLC franchises, even if they already have Spirit Boards.

Like, all of them have more characters you could work with, it adds more representation from them, and because the character already got in, there's no fear of disappointing fans who were hoping they'd be playable (let's be honest, who was asking for Sojiro Sakura, or Duck King, or Ferdinand von Aegir?). Plus, it'd be a relatively easy way to make them feel more like they were a part of the game?

Hell, since they added the Tockles Spirit to the board, they could have Spirit Board Expansions.
Man I would kill for spirit events featuring Persona 4, Metal slug, Dragon Quest 8 and Rareware, maybe one more for other FE characters like the Tokyo mirage sessions cast.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
EDIT: The female Byleth icon's still unavailable right now according to the person who originally found this, so I guess we'll still have to wait on that.
that was 3 weeks ago, still around the time before Byleth's release. Now that they're out, we have it now.
1581304543488.png

https://www.ssbwiki.com/images/thumb/8/8c/BylethHeadFemaleSSBU.png/50px-BylethHeadFemaleSSBU.png
it is lower in quality due to being straight from the game rather than the website like m!byleth, but I don't think that matters too much

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I still think at least a Terry tease is likely for this week's direct since I think Nintendo gets the final say in the matter. They do want to sell the pass, and having a character revealed for the pass would help it sell. I don't think I heard of a season pass that don't reveal it's contents until 6 months later after purchase release. That's a pretty sucidal marketing tactic IMO.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I still think at least a Terry tease is likely for this week's direct since I think Nintendo gets the final say in the matter. They do want to sell the pass, and having a character revealed for the pass would help it sell. I don't think I heard of a season pass that don't reveal it's contents until 6 months later after purchase release. That's a pretty sucidal marketing tactic IMO.
I agree.

Something like Joker's reveal should suffice. Don't need to see the character model yet or anything I reckon.

I'm holding off on buying anything because I'd like to at least get a glimpse of what I'm getting. With that being said, I'm sure a substantial amount of people bought the pass anyway so they probably think there's no need to rush...

blackghost

Smash Champion
YAlso. This isn't adressed particularly to you, but when I read Smash fans talking about how boring are the protagonists of the fighting games and that they would rather have other characters from these games I can't help but remember that a good amount of these fans are the same who complain about command inputs. I remember some folks on Twitter complaining about Terry's special inputs being very hard to make. Well, not saying that these inputs are super easy, but if they complain about inputs when we're getting fighting games protagonists (characters that usually are more accessible in terms of playstyle and inputs) then I don't know how they would have reacted if instead of Terry we had characters like Geese Howard, lol
i saw some people pre terry, and mai situation, ask for ivy my first thought was this:
DgETqqNV4AApM2t.jpg
someone would've had a heart attack during the direct. pretzel motions are fun.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I agree.

Something like Joker's reveal should suffice. Don't need to see the character model yet or anything I reckon.

I'm holding off on buying anything because I'd like to at least get a glimpse of what I'm getting. With that being said, I'm sure a substantial amount of people bought the pass anyway so they probably think there's no need to rush...
Granted we all know that no matter what were guaranteed a good looking stage with nice fanservice, good music to the series that get in and a character who's fun to play so there's really nothing to worry about on that.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I wish they put out a Spirit Board for Pirahna Plant. It basically makes itself; have one Spirit for every unique Variant of Plant that's referenced in his moveset.

I don't think I heard of a season pass that don't reveal it's contents until 6 months later after purchase release. That's a pretty sucidal marketing tactic IMO.
Who knows. Maybe the Pass has already paid for itself between Season 1 and people buying Season 2 blind.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The lack of any real concrete Smash talk from anyone actually important is leading me to think that either

A. Character 6 is revealed in the next direct, and it's first party like Byleth or someone relatively niche and definitely not western like Terry. Either way a character that wouldn't be easily leaked or a name people would disregard.

or

B. Nintendo goes insane and decides not to reveal 6 until E3 and it's someone like Crash.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Granted we all know that no matter what were guaranteed a good looking stage with nice fanservice, good music to the series that get in and a character who's fun to play so there's really nothing to worry about on that.
That's true. Every DLC character so far as been crafted with care.

No one can say they half assed season pass 1, even if they don't agree with certain characters.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Funny thing, he tried to do that in the Dante thread. Didn't go well for him lol
Well that sucks, but I don't think it should prevent him from trying if he has pertinent information.

To my knowledge, he's the only active "insider" on the site, at least as far as one willing to let certain information slip goes. Like, look at this post from the Geno thread (not directly quoting to not start inter-thread drama, but it's in there):

There's a ton of stuff outside Mandycan for Crash and that's what I was getting at earlier. Of my six characters I'm predicting for the Fighter's Pass based on what I know, Crash by far has the most confidence. It's no contest. Like I said, he's one of the only characters that nobody is really even arguing anymore. Crash is honestly like Hero right now and people are hard sliding their chips on certain numbers because of the strong confidence that he's outright happening.
How is that in any way relevant to Geno? That's a crazy statement insinuating Crash is a lock in the same way a straight up datamined character was. So why isn't it in the Crash thread when those guys would probably be ecstatic to hear it and never know about it if they didn't venture into a completely different thread that isn't necessarily a desired character for them? That's why people keep going in the Geno thread including non-Geno fans arguing against him; because it's the only character thread where off-topic pertinent information is consistently thrown out into the wild.

Sorry if we've moved past this, been at a wedding all day and just catching up now.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well that sucks, but I don't think it should prevent him from trying if he has pertinent information.

To my knowledge, he's the only active "insider" on the site, at least as far as one willing to let certain information slip goes. Like, look at this post from the Geno thread (not directly quoting to not start inter-thread drama, but it's in there):

How is that in any way relevant to Geno? That's a crazy statement insinuating Crash is a lock in the same way a straight up datamined character was. So why isn't it in the Crash thread when those guys would probably be ecstatic to hear it and never know about it if they didn't venture into a completely different thread that isn't necessarily a desired character for them? That's why people keep going in the Geno thread including non-Geno fans arguing against him; because it's the only character thread where off-topic pertinent information is consistently thrown out into the wild.

Sorry if we've moved past this, been at a wedding all day and just catching up now.
There's a reason he stays in the Geno thread and it's because he's simply not liked outside of there.

That's it. Let's drop the topic now.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's been pages ago, but I think I need to adress this.

This setup never felt natural to me. It's like if Nintendo promoted Smash Bros as the clash of Nintendo stars like Mario, Donkey Kong, Link and King Dedede. It's not wrong, but one of these is clearly not like the other. you know, because mario, dk and link are the heroes of their series so it would make more sense to say kirby instead of dedede

What I'm saying is Heihachi Mishima is not Ryu or Terry Bogard, the main hero of his series: He's M. Bison or Geese Howard, the most notable recurring villain. That setup only makes sense with Jin Kazama (who's the protagonist for the most time like Ryu) or Kazuya Mishima (who used to be the protagonist but is still very relevant like Terry - although in a different way).

I may sound like a hater for always commenting on this, but it bothers me so much how a lot of people talk about Heihachi like he's the only possible character from Tekken, as if he's the clear cut main character like Ryu in Street Fighter or as if Tekken's main protagonist role is all over the place like Soulcalibur so it's easy to just pick the main villain (Nightmare), when it's really a feud between three characters and any of them would makes sense as a Tekken "rep". Sure heihachi was in a lot more crossovers in the past, but between Street Fighter vs Tekken having Ryu vs Kazuya on the cover, the recent KOF crossover featuring this picture with Kyo vs Jin on the front, the current Bandai-Namco logo being what it is, Project X Zone having not just Heihachi but also Jin and Kazuya as an unit (plus Xiaoyu with Chun-Li)... Maybe things are not so obivous anyone? :/

Also, if there is one person in Tekken (especially in 7) that makes sense as the sole Legend Spirit on the spirit board, that person's name is Heihachi. I feel like Kazuya and Jin are too much "on the same level" for one to be "ranked" above the other (Ace level in this case), even more with how the spirit board works - legend spirits are aways support spirits, never primary so they can't evolve to Legend rank. They'd have to make Devil Kazuya a separated spirit from Kazuya just for the legend spirit battle. Devil Jin never felt like a power up for Jin so I can't imagine it getting the legend status. Also not counting Akuma because having him as the only Tekken legend spirit would be hilariously wrong lol

Anyway, here's how I would make it:

Character: Kazuya - The OG protagonist and the main antagonist from now on. Can turn into Devil Kazuya which changes around a few of his specials and gives him an extra jump (because every winged character in Smash has more than 2 jumps)

Stage: Mishima Dojo - I don't think any other stage from that game really represents Tekken as well as this one (I'd love to see some suggestion though)

Music: I kinda lost interest in Tekken's music after 3 so I'll skip this one...

Spirit Board: It's hard because I feel that there are too many "must have" characters but most of them wouldn't feel right as novice, so:

Heihachi Mishima (Legend)
Jin Kazama (Ace)
Lars Alexandersson (Ace)
Paul Phoenix (Ace)
Kazumi Mishima (Advanced > Enhanceable to Ace level as Devil Kazumi)
Nina Williams (Advanced)
Lee Chaolan (Advanced)
King (Advanced)
Marshall Law (Advanced)
Yoshimitsu (Advanced)
Kuma (Novice)
Alisa Bosconovich (Novice)
Xiaoyu & Panda (Novice)

Ps: Swaping Kazuya with Jin works too.
In case we get a Spirit Event: Jin+Kazuya+Heihachi is a given, but who else would be in?
I'd say Nina, King, Yoshimitsu and Paul should. As they have, in one form or another been in every Tekken game. Hwoarang, Xiaoyu and Eddy would be good choices as they debuted in the biggest Tekken game, kind of like how most the SF Spirits focus on the SF2 versions of characters.

Either way, I'm just glad that someone is willing to mention that Tekken's situation is pretty unique. I do feel Heihachi would be fitting enough. I can't understate that Kazuya and Jin are equally as valid choices as Grandpa Mishima is. For those who aren't as familiar with Tekken, it'll seem weird, but the whole family is the main character, rather than just one of them, though most of the focus has been on Jin.

Granted I think part of that has to do with Sakurai, when he had considered a Tekken character, considered Heihachi, so it still makes sense to put in the role of the hypothetical Tekken character. If the SNK choice got rejected and Kyo was mentioned instead of Terry, it'd make more people talk of Kyo, but both would be reasonable choices. Hell, because of a leak, some people thought Nakaruru was gonna be the SNK character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't think it should prevent him from trying if he has pertinent information.

It's been shown time and time again he's just a catfish looking to build his cult of personality with desperate fans of characters willing to believe anything.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
There's a reason he stays in the Geno thread and it's because he's simply not liked outside of there.

That's it. Let's drop the topic now.
Fair enough, won't bring it up again.

So anyway, I hope there's a direct soon. Though on one hand, a small evil part of me wants to see there not be anything for character 6 until E3 just to see how toxic things can get. It would probably be even worse than the gap between Terry and Byleth, and not only because it'll be longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom