• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
There's a reason he stays in the Geno thread and it's because he's simply not liked outside of there.

That's it. Let's drop the topic now.
That... actually makes quite a lot of sense.

Fair enough, won't bring it up again.

So anyway, I hope there's a direct soon. Though on one hand, a small evil part of me wants to see there not be anything for character 6 until E3 just to see how toxic things can get. It would probably be even worse than the gap between Terry and Byleth, and not only because it'll be longer.
I'm pretty confident that a character will be revealed in the next direct (which rumors are pointing towards being announced on the 10th and airing on the 12th) if only because revealing the first season 2 character will kick start a lot of sales for Season 2

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anyways, on the topic of "poster boys" Jin and Kazuya have been used as such quite a bit too. I still feel like Heihachi would remain as Sakurai's primary choice, but I would urge people to still keep an open mind on it. As an example, here's some of Tekken's main covers. My point is, just that from a marketing standpoint, they are on relatively even terms, compared to Street Fighter almost always using Ryu before most characters, or MK with Sub-Zero and Scorpion. While the Mishima's have each had top billing in one way or another at some point in the series' long history. And well, Terry was chosen over Kyo, but Terry's stated as a Fatal Fury character and not a King of Fighter's character.

Tekken 1: 1581312344411.png

Tekken 2: 1581312427861.png

Tekken 3: 5934-tekken-3-playstation-front-cover.jpg
Tekken Tag: 1581311693279.png
Tekken Tag 2: 1581311930474.png
Tekken 4: 15741-tekken-4-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg
Tekken 5: Tekken 5 Cover Close Up.jpg
Tekken 6:
1581312022027.png

Tekken 7: 1581312106444.png

Tekken Advance: 1581312288755.png

Tekken 5DR: 1581312680003.png

Not a huge reason why one character should/could be chosen over any others. Just that again, Tekken situation isn't as cut and dry as Street Fighter, like some others might make it out to be.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Anyways, on the topic of "poster boys" Jin and Kazuya have been used as such quite a bit too. I still feel like Heihachi would remain as Sakurai's primary choice, but I would urge people to still keep an open mind on it. As an example, here's some of Tekken's main covers. My point is, just that from a marketing standpoint, they are on relatively even terms, compared to Street Fighter almost always using Ryu before most characters, or MK with Sub-Zero and Scorpion. While the Mishima's have each had top billing in one way or another at some point in the series' long history. And well, Terry was chosen over Kyo, but Terry's stated as a Fatal Fury character and not a King of Fighter's character.

Not a huge reason why one character should/could be chosen over any others. Just that again, Tekken situation isn't as cut and dry as Street Fighter, like some others might make it out to be.
Sakurai is on record saying that he planned to have Heihachi playable in Smash 4, so I take that as pretty concrete evidence that Heihachi would be the first Tekken character pick.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I think that Heihachi would be the primary choice for a Tekken character, but also that Kazuya isn't far behind. If DLC characters start coming bundled with Echo Fighters, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Heihachi with Kazuya as his Echo or the other way around.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think Kazuya would be chosen over Heihachi if Sakurai really wanted to implement the Devil Gene while also still using Mishima style karate.

If he just liked the devil gene aspect, I think he'd go with Jin, but Kazuya straddles the line between them.

Last edited:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
I just hope that we get SOMETHING before E3 because waiting that long for info on even one character for a pass that they're selling right now is ridiculous, especially when pretty much every other fighting game season pass shows off at least one character coming soon.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Sakurai is on record saying that he planned to have Heihachi playable in Smash 4, so I take that as pretty concrete evidence that Heihachi would be the first Tekken character pick.
I'm aware. That's why at the top of the post I mentioned Heihachi is still the most likely option of the 3. Though we know the guy changes his mind every so often, just like we all do. Chances are Heihachi is still his Tekken choice. All I'm saying to keep your mind open.

I think Kazuya would be chosen of Heihachi if Sakurai really wanted to implement the Devil Gene while also still using Mishima style karate.

If he just liked the devil gene aspect, I think he'd go with Jin, but Kazuya straddles the line between them.
That's something else to consider. If he wants the traditional style with more flair, Kazuya would make the most sense in that regard, since, while Jin can also implement that style, it has put onto Devil Jin since T5, and Jin's default style was changed in T4.

I think that Heihachi would be the primary choice for a Tekken character, but also that Kazuya isn't far behind. If DLC characters start coming bundled with Echo Fighters, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Heihachi with Kazuya as his Echo or the other way around.
That'd be pretty sick. Though none of the DLC characters got Echoes so far.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think Kazuya would be chosen over Heihachi if Sakurai really wanted to implement the Devil Gene while also still using Mishima style karate.
I would honestly prefer that as the guy with the eye laser and the devil transformation is at least a little more interesting than his generic karateman father.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hearing a lot about a Direct this coming week. Do we know anything concrete? Have any insiders spoken about it?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
What if we get a direct, but no character reveal.
What if it's sorta just little bits of info, like they say x number will be first party and y number will be third party characters.

D

Deleted member

What if we get a direct, but no character reveal.
What if it's sorta just little bits of info, like they say x number will be first party and y number will be third party characters.
Believe it or not this is going ot be the most logical event happening in this month's Direct, if there is any.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not expecting any hints or helpful info regarding the contents of the second pass.

If they even bother mentioning it in the Direct, all I expect is, "Sakurai is working hard on the new characters. Please be patient and expect more info at a later date."

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Plot twist: there is a Direct next week, but Super Smash Bros. isn't mentioned or even acknowledged by Nintendo in any way until the final Smash presentation on December 31st, 2021 when Sakurai breaks his years long silence and all six challenger packs are revealed at once, and then released immediately after.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

It's been shown time and time again he's just a catfish looking to build his cult of personality with desperate fans of characters willing to believe anything.
IIRC, aside from one theory that they'd be 3 characters revealed in the showcase (Which mind boggles me of why anyone would think that, that made no sense in hindsight), Fatman actually got a decent amount of stuff right from the Byleth showcase. That said I still think its best to take everything he says with a grain of salt because he's essentially the conspiracy theorist of this place and not in a good way, as before the Byleth showcase he didn't get anything right.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
What is the point of giving so much value to the words of someone who is (in)famous for always being wrong

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't know this fatman's story.
But the more I see people post about him, seething or otherwise.
The more I like him.
Gotta love a good jimmy rustler.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
IIRC, aside from one theory that they'd be 3 characters revealed in the showcase (Which mind boggles me of why anyone would think that, that made no sense in hindsight), Fatman actually got a decent amount of stuff right from the Byleth showcase. That said I still think its best to take everything he says with a grain of salt because he's essentially the conspiracy theorist of this place and not in a good way, as before the Byleth showcase he didn't get anything right.
What did he get right cause from what I saw, he only got the fact that the Geno thread would be disappointed right and he can't even spell Byleth's name right

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What is the point of giving so much value to the words of someone who is (in)famous for always being wrong
"He said my favorite character might be in! We stan!"

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
What did he get right cause from what I saw, he only got the fact that the Geno thread would be disappointed right and he can't even spell Byleth's name right
Found this.
For all the people that have come into the thread over the past several months specifically to **** on a specific poster’s credibility and intentions let me point this out:

-Fatman called 5 being a fantasy swordsman

-Fatman had information about FE three houses stage and spirit board

-Fatman had information about indie characters including cuphead who ended up being a costume. It’s very likely other indie reps on that list will continue to be the “deluxe costumes” that look way better than the average mii and come with a music track

-Fatman had information that pointed to there only being 6 more characters post FP

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is what I found on January 17th. It's something at least. :/

Also I really don't think spelling mistakes mean much, so I don't see a point in mentioning that specifically.
Ok so he didn't actually say anything beyond "oho I actually knew this all along and chose not to say anything" like he does whenever there's a new rumour.

Also it would be a spelling mistake if it wasn't deliberate

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
How do I become the next fatman?
asking for a friend.
Show support for a character everyone in this thread hates and then never leave that thread because everyone else on this site treats like some sort of disease.

You'll be golden, I believe in you champ.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Wouldn't be the first time.
Actually, I don't think this is accurate, at least during a Smash speculation cycle.

The closest I think would be an early 2019 direct, but even that gave us our first look at Joker I think and maybe a date for when he'll come.

I don't personally expect a character reveal, but during speculation, directs with character reveals are more common than those without.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Show support for a character everyone in this thread hates and then never leave that thread because everyone else on this site treats like some sort of disease.

You'll be golden, I believe in you champ.
That's not really the problem people have with him. It's the fact that he's super unreliable, and most of his theories don't ever pan out, so it's just better to not really agree with anything he's saying. That said, he 100% didn't deserve the death threats, I don't know why people gave him some but that just isn't cool.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
That's not really the problem people have with him. It's the fact that he's super unreliable, and most of his theories don't ever pan out, so it's just better to not really agree with anything he's saying.
Hasn't he (and a lot of other people) made it clear he's only a speculator?

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
That's not really the problem people have with him. It's the fact that he's super unreliable, and most of his theories don't ever pan out, so it's just better to not really agree with anything he's saying.
I'll level with you. I don't really believe any of his theories, but at least they're entertaining to discuss. The majority of Smash rumors are bogus anyways, discussing them just gives us something to so in between character reveals.

At least from what I've seen, he doesn't treat people like complete **** for disagreeing with him, which more than I can say for some other users.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Found this.
Fatman only said that FP5 was going to be a "fantasy swordman" because his "sources" said that Dragonborn was the last character of the FP.
He never even implied that there was a possibility that this "swordman" was an FE character, in fact I remember that he said multiple times that one of the things his "sources" agreed on was that the final character was western.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom