• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
So because of curiosity and in a hope of changing topics. With a gun pointed to your head, name who you think are the three most likely characters for FP5.

SKX31

Smash Master
So like what other franchises would you guys want in
Would like (and this is my personal taste - limiting to five of course):

* Tekken
* Overwatch
* Mortal Kombat
* Halo
* Assassin's Creed

So because of curiosity and in a hope of changing topics. With a gun pointed to your head, name who you think are the three most likely characters for FP5.
Hayabusa, Doomguy, Tracer in that order. Crash in very, very close fourth.

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
pull the trigger because I've got nothing. I thought I knew with Banjo, Terry coming was such a shake up that I just stopped trying. Hayabusa is a strong bet for me, but who the hell knows at this point, right?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
For me, mainly DOOM, Tekken, and Touhou Project.
Probably Ryu Hayabusa or Doomguy. Crash is my third guess since I have no idea for the third. Lol

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Doomguy, Jin Kazama, and Ryu Hayabusa, roughly in that order.

Tekken's a massive franchise, and with Namco-Bandai working on Smash Bros., I'm surprised that they've only gotten Pac-Man so far. (maybe it's modesty or not wanting to self-promote too much, like why Kirby was the only character from his series in Smash Bros. until Brawl) While I'd prefer Heihachi, Jin seems like he'd have more to work with thanks to his devil transformations, and he's probably just behind Heihachi as the face of the franchise. (by my limited understanding, Kazuya Mishima is third, though it seems pretty distant)

Doomguy seems like the sort of off-the-wall pick that Sakurai would go with - one that makes a lot of sense, but wouldn't be what many people would suspect. Plus Doom is kind of like Street Fighter or Dragon Quest - it may not have started its particular genre, but the influence that it had on that genre is massive and still felt to this day.

As for Ryu Hayabusa, Koei-Tecmo seems like one of the few giant Japanese gaming companies that ISN'T in Smash at this point, and with them working on Fire Emblem Three Houses and multiple Warriors spin-offs for Nintendo franchises, it seems like they're pretty close to Nintendo.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
no more sora he's a video game character shut up
Not counting ones already repped with spirits, music, costumes, or assist trophies: Ace Attorney, Tekken, Tales Of, NieR, No More Heroes, Professor Layton, and Mischief Makers are the big ones.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
There's a lot I want, so I'll just limit it to my current top five.
-Minecraft
-Tekken
-Half Life
-Touhou
-Resident Evil/Monster Hunter (I know I said five but these two are closely tied together and their rankings continue to switch so I just put them both together)

Leon S. Kennedy
Ryu Hayabusa
Crash Bandicoot

D

Deleted member

A Dark Souls rep, a Tales rep and Monster Hunter in no particular order. Feel that these three are franchises with a decent amount of following and a Dark Souls in particular could provide one of the most unique takes on a fighter given the mechanics and focuses in the game.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Style Savvy is the only real way to answer this question

Uh...Guilty Gear would be cool, and Arc Sys is pretty close with Nintendo right now by the looks of things. Tales of is certainly historic and iconic enough to warrant mention of some sort, No More Heroes is a good series, and I'd love to see a character as self-referential and 4th wall breaking as Travis (imagine the reveal trailer). I'm not going to go into more details, but DOOM, Ninja Gaiden, Crash Bandicoot, Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Rhythm Heaven, Cave Story, Touhou, Dark Souls, Overwatch, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Blaster Master, The World Ends With You, and I'm sure I'm forgetting others. Like, I forget the name, but it rhymes with Gundam Arts?

Gundam would be pretty cool too.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Doomslayer
3. Ryu Hayabusa

Honourable Mentions to:
Lara Croft
Travis Touchdown
Sora
Steve
Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It was never my argument that he couldn't.

That's true, except nobody HERE knows what the factually correct side IS because none of us work for Nintendo, and none of us knows what Nintendo does or does not qualify as "video game content".

And that's the problem. My entire argument is that it could go either way, but the opposition to the argument is "No, it's DEFINITELY this thing that I can in no way prove!"

There's no other content from any property in KHs situation in Smash, and Nintendo has never stated properties in that situation are acceptable in Smash, so to act like it's for sure is just asinine. It's just fanboys sticking their fingers in their ears going "LALALALA! THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE!! LALALALA!!"
Seems to me like the only one who doesn't know is you.
Phoenix Wright, Leon Kennedy, Jill Valentine.

Pretty sure it's going to be a Capcom character.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
[Ninja Gaiden]
[Contra]
[Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
[River City Ransom]
[Bubble Bobble]
[Bionic Commando]
[Battletoads]
[Shantae]
[Yakuza]
[Legend of the Mystical Ninja]
[Resident Evil]
[Viewtiful Joe]
[Samurai Shodown]
[Okami]
[Tekken]
[Chrono Trigger]
[Soul Calibur]
[Final Fight]
[Strider]
[Ace Attorney]
[Darkstalkers]
[Metal Slug]
[ARMS]

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
  1. Ryu Hayabusa - He's in a similar spot as Terry right now: has a lot of legacy and Koei Tecmo has been very Nintendo-friendly in recent years. Not to mention both Hayabusa and Terry are still relevant as they appear in Dead or Alive and King of Fighters respectively, even with their main franchises not having new entries in years. He really has nothing going against him which is why I think he is the most likely candidate right now.
  2. Leon or Jill - Resident Evil is one of the biggest franchises not in Smash yet and easily the next best Capcom choice.
  3. Crash Bandicoot - His reboot came at just the right time for consideration. Very recognizable on both sides of the globe.
  4. Doomguy - His series popularized the entire FPS genre and is still going strong today through new games and a lot of Switch ports. Only downside is that FPS's aren't that popular in Japan.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
As for Ryu Hayabusa, Koei-Tecmo seems like one of the few giant Japanese gaming companies that ISN'T in Smash at this point, and with them working on Fire Emblem Three Houses and multiple Warriors spin-offs for Nintendo franchises, it seems like they're pretty close to Nintendo.
They also had a special Metroid based stage in Dead or Alive Dimensions for the 3DS too:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Emmmm, i was referring if the game is that good, not the chances...
Oh, then yes. The general consensus with people who actually give the games a chance is that they're way better than they thought it'd be. If Nintendo played their cards right, it could become a hit like Animal Crossing. It's definitely worth checking out.

Most reviews end up sounding something like This one. "I had no idea this would interest someone like me." "I wasn't expecting to fall in love with this."

It's my go-to series whenever I want a fun, stress-free gaming experience or to just kill time. Granted, I like when games have dress up elements in them (I've spent more time messing with Tekken and Soul Calibur's character creators than fighting).

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'd imagine with LoL (or Dota 2), they'd pick the viable poster children. For LoL, I imagine that it'd be Ryze (Choosing between constant magical pressure or the big magical combo, the passive would need reworking though from the "bonus mana = more damage" one in LoL) - or Ahri (who I imagine to be a Rosalina / Palutena combo, only way more agressive and Sheik-like.) Lux is another viable option. Dota 2 doesn't lack viable poster children either (the main reason I've gone a lot about Lina is her straightforward "blow you up" moveset, with her passive being more spells cast = more attack and move speed.), but I won't go in depth unless prompted.

Yes, the normals would have to be original, but then again Sakurai's created original movesets almost everywhere one looks. Falcon, Villager, Pac-Man, WFT... Yea I can go on. I don't think that'd be an issue. Ahri probably has the easiest time IMHO because she looks to be around Palu or Rosa's height I'd guess? Would need confirmation on that, but the point stands. It's easier to make the passives the gimmick if you ask me. For example, Ahri's "Hit 2 spells on a target and you get more move speed out of it".
Oh, I don't think original normals are a problem at all, especially if the character brings something interesting with specials.

Ahri and Lux imo would fit better than Ryze because the unique properties of their projectiles and passives seem easier to translate into Smash. I don't know who else has enough "credit in-universe" to get a spot - most of the other "faces of League" seem either too basic (like Garen or Darius) or way too complex to implement (Ekko, Teemo, etc), at least in my opinion. Mage champions would hit a good balance in general, methinks.

I suppose Ezreal, Riven and Yasuo would be good choices for non-mage characters, but I dunno...

• Ryu Hayabusa
  • Jill Valentine
  • Phoenix Wright
In no particular order. Not necessarily because of any evidence, mostly a hunch.

Ah, for the people talking about Style Savvy earlier... how would a character from that play? I guess it's because Flyboy Flyboy is in several threads I'm also in, but I've seen the mentions long enough to become mildly curious about it.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Not counting ones already repped with spirits, music, costumes, or assist trophies: Ace Attorney, Tekken, Tales Of, NieR, No More Heroes, Professor Layton, and Mischief Makers are the big ones.
I feel if treasure were to get something after all these years I'd love for it to be Mischief Makers even if it's less known I just want that cute theme song
and now to join in. i'm gonna separate the franchises into American and Japanese
Halo,Rayman,Crash B,Doom
Resident Evil, Ys, Tales Of, Kingdom Hearts, Shin Megami Tensei, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, No More Heros, Tekken
and five is either Doom Guy or Ryu Hya

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Scott Menville no longer voices Lloyd, Brian Beacock replaced him and voiced Lloyd in more stuff than Scott
It's also assuming they don't reuse Lloyd's voice clips from Tales of Symphonia like with what was done with Banjo & Kazooie.

Three random chara-I mean totally not random and completely fact based picks to save my life? Jill, Leon, Bayonetta.

Why Bayonetta? I don't know I pani-*get's shot*

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's also assuming they don't reuse Lloyd's voice clips from Tales of Symphonia like with what was done with Banjo & Kazooie.

Three random chara-I mean totally not random and completely fact based picks to save my life? Jill, Leon, Bayonetta.

Why Bayonetta? I don't know I pani-*get's shot*
Would an NDA and such a tease really be done if it was merely reused voice clips? Especially as Lloyd is an actual character in a game with actual voice acting beyond gibberish

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Friendly reminder that Style Savvy will have the best win screen animations:

Bonus win animation:

Shoot, it'd have the best intro animation, too:

There's a lot of characters I'm rooting for, but this will always be my most wanted out of everything. One day... One day I'll truly be able to style on some fools.
Scrolling through the past few pages catching up on the speculation and monotonous arguments, and I just want to say that the collective glee you introduced to all of us with this post was so very appreciated. I am now firmly Team Style Savvy, all evidence to the contrary be damned.

D

Deleted member

Ninja Gaiden, Soulcalibur, Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Guilty Gear, Professor Layton, Cooking Mama, Atelier, and Deadly Premonition.

in no particular order, Nightmare, Zhao Yun, and Ryu Hayabusa. If there's 2 JRPG franchises in the Fighter Pass, there's nothing stopping 2 Fighting game franchises being in it as well, and since I'm still thinking Koei-Tecmo will get a fighter in Smash, it's either the guy from Koei or the guy from Tecmo.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Ninja Gaiden, Soulcalibur, Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Guilty Gear, Professor Layton, Cooking Mama, Atelier, and Deadly Premonition.

in no particular order, Nightmare, Zhao Yun, and Ryu Hayabusa. If there's 2 JRPG franchises in the Fighter Pass, there's nothing stopping 2 Fighting game franchises being in it as well, and since I'm still thinking Koei-Tecmo will get a fighter in Smash, it's either the guy from Koei or the guy from Tecmo.
we got two JRPG guys but there not from the same company Sega And Square Enix and if you wanna get technical Atlus/Enix

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ah, for the people talking about Style Savvy earlier... how would a character from that play? I guess it's because Flyboy Flyboy is in several threads I'm also in, but I've seen the mentions long enough to become mildly curious about it.
Hey, that's me! Well, we do a lot of talking about it in the Style Savvy thread (which is where you can see me descend into fashion madness). I'm of the opinion that she would be something more akin to Wii Fit Trainer and Isabelle, with fashionable moves that have her moving like a supermodel on the runway and attacking with makeup products and store displays, potentially utilizing a clothing system to affect her combat properties, and incorporating the hairstyling and dollhouse aspects as well. People like KatKit KatKit and Luminario Luminario have been waving the Style Savvy banner longer than I have but I am pretty happy that I somehow have gained the reputation of a fashionista. ;)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Would an NDA and such a tease really be done if it was merely reused voice clips? Especially as Lloyd is an actual character in a game with actual voice acting beyond gibberish
It was meant to be another reason why the tweet could be referring to something else.

Scrolling through the past few pages catching up on the speculation and monotonous arguments, and I just want to say that the collective glee you introduced to all of us with this post was so very appreciated. I am now firmly Team Style Savvy, all evidence to the contrary be damned.
I skipped to the end so I missed these GIFs. These animations are much better than I was expecting since I thought the series was a 3Ds exclusive. With animations like those and more potential bangers like Ring a Ding I'm all for their inclusion now. Whoever "they" actually refers to.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
- Katamari Damacy
- The Elder Scrolls
- Crash Bandicoot
- Cave Story
- Gex
- Phoenix Wright
- Spyro the Dragon
- Dark Souls
- Warcraft
- Minecraft
- Sid Meier's Civilization
- Idolm@ster
- The Sims

KatKit

Smash Lord
Ah, for the people talking about Style Savvy earlier... how would a character from that play?
Here's an old moveset I came up with.

Gameplay-wise, I think her role should involve "management". By this, I mean that she could have multiple variations of attacks (think Peach's F-smash) and that she can cycle through them. She'd have moves for many situations, to suit her customer's needs (i.e. beat the crap out of them). She can also have an attack that's extremely weak initially, but gets stronger the more it lands; it'd be the only attack in-game that ignores stale-move negation. I dub that move "sales pitch" (advertisement); something you literally need to spam to make it stronger. That move would be her bread and butter: you will live and die by the sales pitch. Moreover, she'd also have a move or two with limited usage à la Robin's tomes; in-game it would be known as budget (or maybe inventory?). Overall, I imagine her being very versatile, but also complex.

With that in mind, here's examples of what I'm talking about:

Side special: Perfume cloud. Uncharged does small damage. Similar to Piranha Plant's poison, but smaller radius. However, when fully charged, it heals whoever is in range instead of dealing damage.

Foward-Smash: Cycles between a pair of scissors that deals more damage at the tip, a clutch bag that has shorter range but super armor when charged, or a hanger that works like a boomerang projectile but is very punishable.

Neutral special: Wardrobe. Press B to cycle through clothes that function like different projectiles. Think Pacman's fruit. Uncharged you throw a shoe - the ultimate disrespect. Hold it a little longer for more clothing/accessories to make it a multi-hitting attack (think Ridley's fireballs but clothing and wackier physics). When fully charged, you end up throwing an entire outfit that deals decent damage and flies in multiple directions. Stylish. Can be powered up further with Down special.

Down special: Sales pitch (advertisement). She holds up a magazine or something and says things like "Try it on..." and "Take a look!" She'll say things more enthusiastically and the dialogue will get zanier each time it hits. Deals very little damage initially but gets stronger the more it lands. Also powers up neutral special and replenishes budget/inventory.

Pummel: Hits opponent's face with a sponge and starts applying makeup on it. The longer you pummel, the more makeup gets smeared on them. The visual change is purely cosmetic and gradually disappears over time.

Forward-air: Microphone swing. It doubles as a tether recovery.

I imagine her tilts being powerful items (things like store furniture and a cellphone that stuns, for example), but only for a limited number of uses. Remember, she's fighting on a budget (her inventory is finite), so when it runs out, she resorts to weaker attacks like slaps, dance moves, model poses, etc.

The general idea is to force opponents to approach you by using the healing perfume and throwing clothing at them. Then advertise once they're in range. Conversely, you can fight up close with items from your boutique (including furniture!), and when all else fails, you rely on your smarts, stylish dancing, and glam-to-glam hand-to-hand combat. Obviously, her walking animation is going to be a catwalk strut.

Last edited:
I'm nothing but an honest man.

If I see something stupid, I'm going to call it stupid and point out why.
It has nothing to do with honesty but i'm sure you already knew that. It also has nothing to do with how well constructed your counter arguments are.

You're certainly smart enough to understand the difference between attacking an argument and attacking an individual.

Anyway, you do you i suppose. If you want to keep treating people poorly when they disagree with you, i certainly can't stop you. As long as you humiliate them without openly violating any Smashboards rules, i guess you're free to do so.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Hey, that's me! Well, we do a lot of talking about it in the Style Savvy thread (which is where you can see me descend into fashion madness). I'm of the opinion that she would be something more akin to Wii Fit Trainer and Isabelle, with fashionable moves that have her moving like a supermodel on the runway and attacking with makeup products and store displays, potentially utilizing a clothing system to affect her combat properties, and incorporating the hairstyling and dollhouse aspects as well. People like KatKit and Luminario have been waving the Style Savvy banner longer than I have but I am pretty happy that I somehow have gained the reputation of a fashionista. ;)
Yeah, so I checked the thread and some of the movesets there and, uh...

... why does the idea sound so good? Like, it hits this weird spot between joke character and actually trying to faithfully represent mechanics from a non-fighting series like most Cooking Mama movesets I've seen or maybe Phoenix Wright-

Oh. Oh. Well, I guess now I know why I met you in that specific thread first. :laugh:

Either way, I don't think it's likely for DLC at all, but man, the idea is so 'Sakurai' it hurts. Depending on how that series goes, if it really got four games between 2008 and now, it might just be one of the "wth characters" to watch out for next time.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I dont like Sora at all but he is still elligible to show up. Goofy and Donald most likely wont, but other characters like Riku and Roxas can be stand ins. As for series id like to see get in, theres a lot of obvious ones like Doom and RE, but some of the out there ones are Half Life, Hat In Time, Turok (I know its a comic series but I can dream dammit), Astral Chain, Frogger, Dig Dug, Ape Escape, Monkey Ball, Crazy Taxi, Katamari.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I dont like Sora at all but he is still elligible to show up. Goofy and Donald most likely wont, but other characters like Riku and Roxas can be stand ins. As for series id like to see get in, theres a lot of obvious ones like Doom and RE, but some of the out there ones are Half Life, Hat In Time, Turok (I know its a comic series but I can dream dammit), Astral Chain, Frogger, Dig Dug, Ape Escape, Monkey Ball, Crazy Taxi, Katamari.
I never thought you were a Katamari supporter, glad to have you on board!

KatKit

Smash Lord
Yeah, so I checked the thread and some of the movesets there and, uh...

... why does the idea sound so good? Like, it hits this weird spot between joke character and actually trying to faithfully represent mechanics from a non-fighting series like most Cooking Mama movesets I've seen or maybe Phoenix Wright-

Oh. Oh. Well, I guess now I know why I met you in that specific thread first. :laugh:

Either way, I don't think it's likely for DLC at all, but man, the idea is so 'Sakurai' it hurts. Depending on how that series goes, if it really got four games between 2008 and now, it might just be one of the "wth characters" to watch out for next time.
See?! Just like the games, people laugh until they realize how good it is. Enjoy enlightenment.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
See?! Just like the games, people laugh until they realize how good it is. Enjoy enlightenment.
I mean - I do sometimes enjoy thinking about weird characters that most people think can't fight, but this site is the first place where I saw people talking about Style Savvy. Cooking Mama, Rhythm Heaven and Phoenix have movesets in several other places, plus Phoenix was in UMvC3.

I think it's just the fact that I had never seen someone come up with an actual moveset for Style Savvy before... at this point, there aren't many things I'd call impossible in Smash.

Kinda reminds me of the Blitztank situation in BBTAG...

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Objectively: DoomGuy, Lloyd, Ryu Hayabusa

Who Do I Want: Crash, DoomGuy, Geno

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As far as out there choices I'd take Excitebiker any day. Picturing a motocross racer doing stunts as attacks just seems so funny to me but funny in a spectacular way.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Ryu Hayabusa, Tracer or Heihachi/Lloyd.

Doomguy/Capcom Rep nipping at their heels though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom