• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
See?! Just like the games, people laugh until they realize how good it is. Enjoy enlightenment.

While on the surface it may look like we're having inane arguments about iconicness, marketing, and what classifies a video game character, what no one tells you is that this thread is actually a hub to indoctrinate more Style Savvy Stylist fans. Sorry Flyboy Flyboy and KatKit KatKit , but it's time we come clean. this totally isn't part of a plea deal to get a lesser sentence from the Smash Bros. police please I'm innocent I didn't do anything

Glad to have you on board 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus and SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy .

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I have a feeling the next character won't be any of the ones we're mentioning frequently. I think a situation like what happened with fighter 4 where SNK and Terry weren't expected at all could repeat again.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I have a feeling the next character won't be any of the ones we're mentioning frequently. I think a situation like what happened with fighter 4 where SNK and Terry weren't expected at all could repeat again.
I don't think theyll do that for the last fighter on the pass. They're gonna want a massive megaton bomb of an announcement at the end

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
My thoughts are the opposite. After E3 I predicted that one of the two final fighters would be someone no one expects while the other would be a character that everyone predicted since the beginning of the DLC cycle.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't think theyll do that for the last fighter on the pass. They're gonna want a massive megaton bomb of an announcement at the end
Sakurai usually doesn't do that. Olimar was the final Brawl character, Shulk was a final base roster character for Smash for, and Incineroar was the final base roster character for Ultimate. All of those are fine characters, but they were far from the most exciting announcement.

The only exception to this trend is really Bayonetta being the final DLC character last time around. Even then, she was far from the most requested character in terms of online polls and she arguably not even the most impactful character in the set (Mewtwo, Ryu, and especially Cloud all got a much larger reaction than Bayo).

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Banjo will never be in Smash
hero when? hero never.

You can't deny that historically the final reveal for any Smash Bros. speculation period has been a big end. Other people have laid out how previous speculation periods have gone, so what makes you think this one will be any different?

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
It seems obvious to me that character 5 won't be a showstopper, they'd want the one after 5 to do that to make people buy season passes
Why not both? Why would Nintendo choose anything but showstoppers to sell a product?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The only exception to this trend is really Bayonetta being the final DLC character last time around. Even then, she was far from the most requested character in terms of online polls and she arguably not even the most impactful character in the set (Mewtwo, Ryu, and especially Cloud all got a much larger reaction than Bayo).
It really depends on who you ask. Bayo to me was the second biggest pipe bomb announcement just behind Cloud. Her announcement blew my mind because everyone was putting her down for being too sexy and violent for Smash. She broke fan rules and expanded the horizon of what might get in Smash, which makes her a big announcement in my opinion.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It really depends on who you ask. Bayo to me was the second biggest pipe bomb announcement just behind Cloud. Her announcement blew my mind because everyone was putting her down for being too sexy and violent for Smash. She broke fan rules and expanded the horizon of what might get in Smash, which makes her a big announcement in my opinion.
To play devil's advocate, she was only the second biggest pipe bomb.

If they were going for a real show stopper, they'd have ended with Cloud, but they didn't.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Bayo was ****in huge. She got a ludicrous amount of love from the fighters ballot on a global scale. I dont get why ppl keep on saying "dlc always ends with a whimper, not a bang"

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Why not both? Why would Nintendo choose anything but showstoppers to sell a product?
To play with fans. People got excited about Joker and lots of people bought the fighter pass because of him. End FP1 with a more niche character, then the person to promote FP2 being a showstopper would get a bigger reaction than if they were all showstoppers

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
To play devil's advocate, she was only the second biggest pipe bomb.

If they were going for a real show stopper, they'd have ended with Cloud, but they didn't.
True, but she was still a major reveal. What I was attempting to point out is that Smash reveals don't necessarily have to end with a whimper like others have pointed out. They could be a big reveal that, while not as big as previous reveals, is hype in it's own right.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
True, but she was still a major reveal. What I was attempting to point out is that Smash reveals don't necessarily have to end with a whimper like others have pointed out. They could be a big reveal that, while not as big as previous reveals, is hype in it's own right.
I'm of the opinion that Shulk and Incineroar were some of the best reveals of their respective games for what it's worth

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think the last pick will be relatively safe in the FP. Someone kinda expected, but not exactly a huge request. That's why I namedropped Hayabusa, Jill and Phoenix. Doesn't mean I think they're bad ways to end the Pass by any means (Phoenix in particular is one of my most wanted characters), but the real jawdropper will probably come afterwards, opening next season. Possibly another shocking dual announcement at E3.

I really think the first post-pass character is either Sora or another insane curveball no one saw coming a la Joker. These seem to be the best way to kickstart the next DLC batch imo.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I feel that a lot of people are misunderstanding the point I'm making.

I'm not saying that there's a lack of value in Olimar, Shulk, or Incineroar or they were poor ways to end or anything like that. They're all great characters. However, they aren't the show-stopping hype machines that people in this thread are expecting Fighter #5 to be. As such, given this precedent, we don't have much reason to assume Sakurai works on a "best for last" philosophy in terms of fan demand.

If Sakurai really wanted a jaw-dropper to end Brawl's pre-release, he would've chosen Sonic, Snake, or Diddy Kong for that role.
If Sakurai really wanted a jaw-dropper to end Smash for's pre-release, he would've chosen Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Little Mac for that role.
If Sakurai really wanted a jaw-dropper to end Ultimate's pre-release, he would've chosen Ridley, Simon, or K. Rool for that role (3 characters added specifically due to fan demand).

The only exception to is, like I said, Bayonetta. However, that's still only 1 in 4 times the final character has been one which was designed to get a major fan-reaction. Not the worst odds in the world, but far from something I would be comfortable betting on. I just don't want people to put Fighter #5 on a pedestal and get upset if they're not the most earth-shattering thing this side of the Mississippi, solely because they had a criterion that Sakurai doesn't seem to work on.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
My thoughts are the opposite. After E3 I predicted that one of the two final fighters would be someone no one expects while the other would be a character that everyone predicted since the beginning of the DLC cycle.
I agree with that, the last one won't be a big bomb "as seen by the Smash hardcore fans" like could be Sora or Crash. Those would have been shown earlier in the pass. In my opinion, it could be one of three big themes (considering third parties in all cases) :
- An overall big character, but one disregarded by the Smash fans, like Steve or a Blizzard rep
- A character that will be accepted by everyone, without being a big revelation neither, like any Capcom rep, Tales of rep, Ryu Hayabusa, Dark soul...
- A character with an historic vocal but very niche fanbase, like... none because the only one entering this category, Geno, is out since I think Square is out (do note that I previously mentioned Steve even if Banjo got in)

I'm also nearly sure of one thing: the 5th will be a figure recognized by Japan. That means no chance for Doomguy, Master Chief, Spyro, Rayman, Shantae...

Edit: exactly what said 3BitSaurus

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why? Why would having a megaton at the end make more sense than at the beginning or middle, when you still have way more people undecided on the Fighter Pass? By character five, you don't have a lot of people left to convince to pick up the package deal. This isn't a narrative, where things end with a climax. This isn't a story. This is a business, where you want to put the most appealing things at the front.

To that end, character seven makes a lot more sense to be a megaton than character six, as that will need to convince people who either haven't bought DLC in a long time and/or will need to be the first impression of a following pack.

Well, kind of. Cloud is Cloud, but Ryu is still a much more prolific character than Bayo, and Mewtwo was much more popular. She's not the "lowest point" of the DLC, especially since the intent of her addition was to choose a "fan-favourite", but it's not like it's really ending on a bang when you compare her to what came beforehand.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Since everyone is suggesting that the first fighter of the second season of DLC will be the most hype/shocking of the DLC fighters, who do you all think it could be? Someone that no one expects? Or someone that a lot of people want?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Since everyone is suggesting that the first fighter of the second season of DLC will be the most hype/shocking of the DLC fighters, who do you all think it could be? Someone that no one expects? Or someone that a lot of people want?
The only three super characters I can think of would be Steve, Master Chief, or Sora. Each have their own points against them, but if they really want to begin Fighters Pass 2 on a big bang they'd want to start with those three.

Other hype/shocking picks could be Resident Evil, DOOM, or Crash Bandicoot. While not as big as the former three, each would make waves in their own right.

Last edited:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
So like what other franchises would you guys want in
no more sora he's a video game character shut up
What would I like to see in, disregarding realistic expectations? Mortal Kombat, Halo, Super Mario RPG, and Golden Sun.
What would I like to see in if I were operating within the loosely-defined bounds of reality? Rayman, Elder Scrolls, and Minecraft.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Both. It will be Waluigi or Isaac.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
I think if a Resident Evil fighter should be added (although I don't think there is still space for one more capcom fighter) than Chris Redfield. He is grounded not special. Exactly what Smash Bros needs.
Leon is after RE2classic a lame one-liner Gerry Stue. He knows everything. He can handle everything. He is the one who does the last hit. Especially if Chris is in the same plot.
Jill is a dead character in that franchise.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I think if a Resident Evil fighter should be added (although I don't think there is still space for one more capcom fighter) than Chris Redfield. He is grounded not special. Exactly what Smash Bros needs.
Leon is after RE2classic a lame one-liner Gerry Stue. He knows everything. He can handle everything. He is the one who does the last hit. Especially if Chris is in the same plot.
Talking about Jill thems be fighting words

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I could see it really going either way:

1. It's either someone with massive fan demand that people have seen coming for awhile, but weren't sure would make the cut. If this is the angle they go for, this is probably Waluigi (if they're willing to upgrade assists) or Geno.

OR

2. It's someone completely unseen who changes the game on what's considered possible in Smash, similar to Joker. I'm not sure which character could really fit this criteria, seeing how it feels like nearly every game character under the sun has been considered for Smash. Then again, I guess that's the fun of this type of choice, someone who might've been brought up once or twice but was quickly thrown aside due to being too out there.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
This isn't a narrative, where things end with a climax. This isn't a story. This is a business, where you want to put the most appealing things at the front.
Why dont you sip on a tall glass of chill the **** out?

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Master Chief, Sora, Crash Bandicoot, and Lara Croft would the biggest 'hype' characters imo. People do seem to forget just how big of deal Lara Croft actually is.

Doomslayer could be argued as well, but Master Chief would be the bigger explosion when to comes to FPS characters.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I disagree, I'd say that Chris "Boulder Punch" Redfield is just as much the super soldier that Jill and Leon are. He's also had some pretty out there feats of strength and competence.

Ultimately, Chris, Jill, and Leon have all had this same problem of sudden hyper-competence. All three started off as standard if slightly crafty police officers in their initial appearance, only to get power scaled to near superhuman abilities with no justification. Gone are the days of Resident Evil protagonists struggling with the most basic zombies and barely surviving, now they steamroll even the most powerful of bio-weapons with minimal effort.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Yeah, this post really ain't it chief. Most people don't care if a character is "more grounded" if that makes them inherently less interesting than the other options. Leon and Jill actually have personalities that people can get attached to, Chris is le epic funny boulder punching man and not much else

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I've said it before on other posts, but I think that Sora is pretty much the only one that I can see as the first reveal for next season out of the usually speculated characters. He's popular in pretty much all of Nintendo's major regions, is currently relevant and has an insane amount of backing. He's the one fan demand that would have all stars aligned to be the first imo.

Others like Steve, Master Chief or even AT promotions like Waluigi seem more like E3 reveals to me. It's not that they wouldn't be big in their own right, it's more that I think the first reveal will be unexpected. Most people can see another Microsoft character or an AT promotion down the line, but a lot of people still see Sora as impossible because of Disney.

If it isn't Sora, then maybe a crazy pick people think of as a pipe dream, like 2B, a MOBA/MMO character or a Sony character (... yeah, really not banking on that last one myself).

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
2. It's someone completely unseen who changes the game on what's considered possible in Smash, similar to Joker. I'm not sure which character could really fit this criteria, seeing how it feels like nearly every game character under the sun has been considered for Smash. Then again, I guess that's the fun of this type of choice, someone who might've been brought up once or twice but was quickly thrown aside due to being too out there.
Possible characters that might fit this criteria are characters owned by Sony. It seems absurd, yet I can't say for certain it's impossible. If it happens then I seriously don't know what Smash reveal might surpass it in the future. If not Sony then I can see a character like Gordon Freeman fitting this criteria, Half-Life 3 has been waited for so long that it turned into an infamous legend and a meme. Any major news related to the Half-Life franchise is most certain to reach everyone in the gaming sphere, especially if it's something like a Smash newcomer announcement.

D

Deleted member

Tough question. Doom Slayer, Crash, Heihachi, Steve, every Capcom character ever would be the safest bet to make to kick off and hype up the next lineup, but I'm hoping for it to actually be characters with smaller (or zero) Smash followings to catch a lot of people offguard just like Joker. There aren't a lot of characters that would be able to match the kind of reveal Joker got, and the only characters I could see doing just that currently would be Sol Badguy and maybe Nightmare since not a lot of people bring up Soulcalibur in regards to Smash.

Or maybe the 7th DLC character is Byleth and then we start going on for months about whether if the new DLC lineup is first parties only or a mix of 1st and 3rd parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom