• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
A character like Shantae would be quite the reveal though I'd have to say.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So like what other franchises would you guys want in
no more sora he's a video game character shut up
Halo
Kingdom Hearts
Doom
Crash Bandicoot
Resident Evil
Nier
Devil May Cry
Undertale
Minecraft
Ninja Gaiden
Ace Attorney
Tomb Raider
Elder Scrolls
Perfect Dark
Astral Chain

So because of curiosity and in a hope of changing topics. With a gun pointed to your head, name who you think are the three most likely characters for FP5.
Resident Evil (Preferably Jill/Leon/Chris/Claire together like Bowser Jr)
Ryu Hayabusa
Doom Slayer

I agree with that, the last one won't be a big bomb "as seen by the Smash hardcore fans" like could be Sora or Crash. Those would have been shown earlier in the pass. In my opinion, it could be one of three big themes (considering third parties in all cases) :
- An overall big character, but one disregarded by the Smash fans, like Steve or a Blizzard rep
- A character that will be accepted by everyone, without being a big revelation neither, like any Capcom rep, Tales of rep, Ryu Hayabusa, Dark soul...
- A character with an historic vocal but very niche fanbase, like... none because the only one entering this category, Geno, is out since I think Square is out (do note that I previously mentioned Steve even if Banjo got in)

I'm also nearly sure of one thing: the 5th will be a figure recognized by Japan. That means no chance for Doomguy, Master Chief, Spyro, Rayman, Shantae...

Edit: exactly what said 3BitSaurus
It depends on where the next character is revealed. If it’s at the VGAs, then I think there’s a good chance it could be a Western oriented franchise.

Unless the next set of DLC is mostly Capcom/Square characters then there’s not a whole lot of big Japanese series left. Tekken, Ninja Gaiden, Tales & maybe Guilty Gear are the only ones I can think of. So they’ll have to start dipping into western series sooner rather than later.

I could see Crash or Steve being the next Western characters due to their popularity in Japan. But there’s been a lot of suspicious stuff surrounding Bethesda; mainly with Doom but I could see Dovahkiin too.

As for Tekken, I don’t think that’s going to happen. Sakurai must really be stuck on how to get one of those characters to work in Smash. I don’t see any other reason Fatal Fury/KOF got a rep before Tekken; though I love Terry & I’m glad he’s in.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
God I wonder where the support for Master chief is, has the love for halo just fallen that hard or are the fan bases of Nintendo/Xbox just aren’t very mixed. I remember back in the day people were hungry for it with that Samus vs Master Chief video but it was a pipe dream. Now I really don’t think he has much of a shot because no one is clamoring which is really sad because this is it and he is such an icon lol, way more people know of the Chief compared to doom guy it’s just bizarre.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Since everyone is suggesting that the first fighter of the second season of DLC will be the most hype/shocking of the DLC fighters, who do you all think it could be? Someone that no one expects? Or someone that a lot of people want?
I'm guessing it's going to be a character that has a lot of demand but, for whatever reason, they couldn't negotiate for in the fighters pass. Geno was my first thought when it was announced - now that both of their big flagship franchises from when they were individual companies (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest) are in the game, I figure they'd be more likely to let him be included given his relatively high popularity.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Since everyone is suggesting that the first fighter of the second season of DLC will be the most hype/shocking of the DLC fighters, who do you all think it could be? Someone that no one expects? Or someone that a lot of people want?
I think the best way to start would be a "surprise character" that literally no one is talking about.

An example of such a character would be Carmen Sandiego. Someone who is so out there that most people would be shocked and actually wonder who she is.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
1:Ōkami
2:Soul Calibur
3:Rayman
4:Ninja Gaiden
So because of curiosity and in a hope of changing topics. With a gun pointed to your head, name who you think are the three most likely characters for FP5.
1:Crash Bandicoot
2:Ezio
3:Ryu Hayabusa

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Why dont you sip on a tall glass of chill the **** out?
Truck Surprise.gif

Where in that post did it seem like N3ON was heated? Like, that was just a regular post for her man. No need to respond that aggressively.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
My predictions; some of these are straight up wants though lol.

Monster Hunter (and/or Phoenix Wright if Capcom can double dip)
Tekken or SoulCal rep (or pipe dream: Velvet Crowe) or Agumon
Shantae
Elma
Travis Touchdown (w/ Sir Henry echo)
2B (or Akira Howard); Sora is possible
Assassin's Creed rep (this grew on me and IDC about the games)
Adol Christin
A retro rep. Could be Ryu Hayabusa, Ayumi Tachibana, Mach Rider, or someone else. IDK
Style Savvy (shameless yet highly deserving plug)
Sol Badguy (w/ Order Sol alt) or Ragna
Ribbon Girl

If we got a Fire Emblem rep, I'd prefer Anna since she's the one constant in each game (and very likeable). Another 1st party I'd like to see is Medusa.

An example of such a character would be Carmen Sandiego.
Don't do that... Don't give me hope.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I don't think theyll do that for the last fighter on the pass. They're gonna want a massive megaton bomb of an announcement at the end
Fun bit of trivia, It's not the last DLC character. Despite the fact that the Smash fanbase has a huge boner for "Hype bombs" as a final announcement (They never are). There's absolutely no reason to assume character 5 will be one when we already got the hype bombs in Hero and Banjo.

This is particularly why I think the final character of the Fighter's pass will be divisive. I see no reason to have announced more characters before the reveal of FP5 if said character was a hype bomb. Rather, instead of a kneejerk "**** this character and everything they represent for being the last one" it's "Well, at least there's more coming"

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think the best way to start would be a "surprise character" that literally no one is talking about.

An example of such a character would be Carmen Sandiego. Someone who is so out there that most people would be shocked and actually wonder who she is.
I'mma be mad if people ask who in the world is Carmen Sandiego and not where in the world.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
At the risk of sounding bias.

As far as first party characters go I do think Elma's got a decent shot. Xenoblade X has no stage or music in Ultimate. Which is pretty strange to think about considering how little new content Xenoblade has gotten in general in Ultimate. I know the stuff for XC2 was added last minute mainly because of how popular that game was, despite being released after the project plan was finished. We do know that all the fighters for the first pass were decided relatively early on and Xenoblade is a series Nintendo wants to gain more attention.

That said, I could be just hopeful at the idea since I just don't want X to be the forgotten cousin because I think its a very underrated game.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
God I wonder where the support for Master chief is, has the love for halo just fallen that hard or are the fan bases of Nintendo/Xbox just aren’t very mixed. I remember back in the day people were hungry for it with that Samus vs Master Chief video but it was a pipe dream. Now I really don’t think he has much of a shot because no one is clamoring which is really sad because this is it and he is such an icon lol, way more people know of the Chief compared to doom guy it’s just bizarre.
Completely Agree.
Doom made a big impact on the FPS genre, but history aside, Master Chief is easily the most recognized of the two.

I would say the general population has heard of Doom but couldn’t actually pick the character out from an image.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Okay this is two weeks after the fact and I know this guy then said a different character they'd replace Bomberman with BUT-
Also, since Assist trophies can also be modded to replace the model, but not mechanics, I thought of the idea of if someone makes a mod to make an assist trophy playable, such as Waluigi (pictured above), we can simply mod the assist trophy texture by replacing it with a model of a character who looks similar and/or has similar proportions, such as Papyrus for Waluigi, Scourge for Shadow, or Cutman (megaman) for Bomberman.
...Why wouldn't you choose Bomb Man if you for some reason, had to replace Bomberman with a Robot Master?!?

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm hoping that when Terry comes out, he's released alongside an usually high amount of SNK themed Mii costumes. Now, normally I wouldn't care much (to date, I've only bought 2 Mii costumes), but if we got a bunch of KoF (Brawler)/Metal Slug (Gunner)/Samsho (Sword)/etc. costumes, I'd get dang near all of them.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
You must not look too hard. Master Chief support has risen a lot this year. He went from a character no one asked for because he was “impossible” to atleast a top 20 pick.

I’d say that’s a pretty good rise in popularity since a lot of the Smash community doesn’t play games that aren’t on Nintendo systems & especially not on Xbox. I’m in the minority where I actively play on all 3 platforms lol

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Halo
Kingdom Hearts
Doom
Crash Bandicoot
Resident Evil
Nier
Devil May Cry
Undertale
Minecraft
Ninja Gaiden
Ace Attorney
Tomb Raider
Elder Scrolls
Perfect Dark
Astral Chain

Resident Evil (Preferably Jill/Leon/Chris/Claire together like Bowser Jr)
Ryu Hayabusa
Doom Slayer

It depends on where the next character is revealed. If it’s at the VGAs, then I think there’s a good chance it could be a Western oriented franchise.

Unless the next set of DLC is mostly Capcom/Square characters then there’s not a whole lot of big Japanese series left. Tekken, Ninja Gaiden, Tales & maybe Guilty Gear are the only ones I can think of. So they’ll have to start dipping into western series sooner rather than later.

I could see Crash or Steve being the next Western characters due to their popularity in Japan. But there’s been a lot of suspicious stuff surrounding Bethesda; mainly with Doom but I could see Dovahkiin too.

As for Tekken, I don’t think that’s going to happen. Sakurai must really be stuck on how to get one of those characters to work in Smash. I don’t see any other reason Fatal Fury/KOF got a rep before Tekken; though I love Terry & I’m glad he’s in.
There is more eastern characters but some of the series are very niche over here at least but it's not like niche really matters if japan wants it it'll get it

D

Deleted member

Since this hasn't been discussed yet, let's talk about Online Tournies.

When Hero came out, there was a special tournament event called Heroes vs Villains that happened which involved him and a couple of heroes and villains as the name implies. When Banjo & Kazooie came out, there was also a tournament event called the Ultimate Partnership which involved them and a few fighters who happen to have partners. With Terry coming out in November, there might be a tournament event where all the characters are brawlers like Mario, Donkey Kong, Captain Falcon, Little Mac, Ryu, Ken, Incineroar, Mii Brawler, and so on.

What tournament events would you set for potential DLC characters? I'll post my list of tourney ideas here:

-An NES All Stars Tourney with Ryu Hayabusa that involves every character from the NES era
-A Weapon-Based tourney with Nightmare that involves every character that wields a melee weapon
-A "Warriors" Tourney with Zhao Yun and/or Yukimura that involves every character that's considered/known as a warrior
-A Fire Emblem Tourney with Byleth that involves the entire Fire Emblem cast
-A Shoot 'Em Up Tourney with any FPS character that involves characters that can shoot things
-An Echo Tourney with a DLC Echo Fighter that involves all the Echoes

Last edited by a moderator:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I need my non-american friends to help me with something. When it comes to the fifth character in the fighter pass, I believe that we won't be getting a character from any company already represented in Smash. With that being the case, what are some characters in your opinion that have a solid chance of getting in that aren't from a western company? I ask because all I keep coming up with are Crash, Doomguy/Dovahkiin, and Rayman.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I need my non-american friends to help me with something. When it comes to the fifth character in the fighter pass, I believe that we won't be getting a character from any company already represented in Smash. With that being the case, what are some characters in your opinion that have a solid chance of getting in that aren't from a western company? I ask because all I keep coming up with are Crash, Doomguy/Dovahkiin, and Rayman.
Eastern companies not in Smash? Layton from Level-5 and Ryu Hayabusa from Tecmo Koei are the ones that come to mind. Travis Touchdown too, but he was disconfirmed for this first pass.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I’d say that’s a pretty good rise in popularity since a lot of the Smash community doesn’t play games that aren’t on Nintendo systems & especially not on Xbox. I’m in the minority where I actively play on all 3 platforms lol
I wouldn't say only a minority owns multiple companies' consoles. Otherwise Cloud, Snake or Joker wouldn't have so many Smash fans played their games or Crash and Master Chief wouldn't be big requests.

I think it's just people who only own Nintendo systems are louder.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I need my non-american friends to help me with something. When it comes to the fifth character in the fighter pass, I believe that we won't be getting a character from any company already represented in Smash. With that being the case, what are some characters in your opinion that have a solid chance of getting in that aren't from a western company?
Hayabusa and Kunio!

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Okay this is two weeks after the fact and I know this guy then said a different character they'd replace Bomberman with BUT-

...Why wouldn't you choose Bomb Man if you for some reason, had to replace Bomberman with a Robot Master?!?
I know that Bomberman and Bomb Man have similar names and abilities, but it's because Bomb Man and Bomberman have different proportions, Bombman is rather fat, whereas Cutman has more similar proportions to Bomberman. Which seems justified.

I could also just replace Bomberman with Emerl instead.

Also I predict that if Ryo (king of fighters) becomes part of Terry's DLC spirit board, the Akira assist trophy will be used in Ryo's spirit battle.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Golden Sun
Rhythm Heaven
Advance Wars
Crash Bandicoot
Rayman
Shantae
Undertale (In a playable character variety)
Bomberman
Ace Attorney
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the seven stars (If you count it as separate from the Mario series)

Last edited by a moderator:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Completely Agree.
Doom made a big impact on the FPS genre, but history aside, Master Chief is easily the most recognized of the two.

I would say the general population has heard of Doom but couldn’t actually pick the character out from an image.
The thing is Sakurai wouldn't choose Halo over Doom because the first one is more recognizable. I honestly don't think Sakurai cares about that, I mean, of course he knows that and could be a point for Halo, which is a more mainstream franchise than Doom. Besides that Halo would be a really big deal because is the main franchise of Microsoft and Xbox, like Mario for Nintendo.

But I don't know, for Microsoft is one thing to give Banjo, a character they haven't used in years and always remembered and associated with Nintendo,and other thing is Master Chief. It could happen but I wouldn't bet for him, maybe it's just me.

I think Doomguy has a lot of chances in comparison to Master Chief, and I'm not biased or anything, I've barely played Doom in comparison to Halo. Halo 3 and Reach are some of my favourite games from the previous generation.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

When Hero came out, there was a special tournament event called Heroes vs Villains that happened which involved him and a couple of heroes and villains as the name implies. When Banjo & Kazooie came out, there was also a tournament event called the Ultimate Partnership which involved them and a few fighters who happen to have partners. With Terry coming out in November, there might be a tournament event where all the characters are brawlers like Mario, Donkey Kong, Captain Falcon, Little Mac, Ryu, Ken, Incineroar, Mii Brawler, and so on.

What tournament events would you set for potential DLC characters? I'll post my list of tourney ideas here:

-An NES All Stars Tourney with Ryu Hayabusa that involves every character from the NES era
-A Weapon-Based tourney with Nightmare that involves every character that wields a melee weapon
-A "Warriors" Tourney with Zhao Yun and/or Yukimura that involves every character that's considered/known as a warrior
-A Shoot 'Em Up Tourney with any FPS character that involves characters that can shoot things
Arle's tournament event would definitely be Puzzle Masters and would involve fighters that all appeared in puzzle games before. :ultdoc::ultmario::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultsonic::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:

Layton's tourney would be characters known for their high intellect and/or puzzle/problem solving skills in their home games.
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultdoc::ultbowserjr::ultrobin::ultmario::ultluigi::ultbanjokazooie::ultshulk::ultolimar::ultpalutena::ultrosalina:

There is most likely more that fit these but that's just off the top of my head.

andree123

Smash Ace

I'm guessing that Lloyd would go with a rpg fighter only tournament.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ultimately, Chris, Jill, and Leon have all had this same problem of sudden hyper-competence. All three started off as standard if slightly crafty police officers in their initial appearance, only to get power scaled to near superhuman abilities with no justification.
Chris' justification is he had a long standing grudge match against someone who can dodge bullets and can punch steel in two so if he can't keep up with Wesker's speed he needs to at least make sure his punches hurt the guy back since guns are worthless against him.

Jill's justification is she's as infected as Wesker in Resi 5 as well as mind control to act like Wesker 2.0. Nothing before that bar knocking a distracted Wesker out the window really stood out to me as going superhuman.

I have no clue what Leon's justification is. Guess being trained as a special unit and chosen to be the one to protect the president's daughter meant he got some perks?

It has been quite a while since we saw Jill in a Resident Evil game now... guess she's still recovering from the mind control thing in 5?

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Friendly reminder that the dlc fighters in the Fighters Pass were probably already chosen before the possibility of further dlc was discussed.
They probably wanted to see how well the dlc made first before making a choice.
THUS, Sakurai maybe didn't think there would be further dlc, and so he thought of having the final fighter be the big one to end on.
Of course now there are more possibilities, but the fighter 5 will still be big enough as a last fighters pass character to sell even more of them IMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom