• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
when it comes to Sora, imo they wouldn't settle for a mii costume or spirit event. they'd just have no KH content period, cause I feel Disney would be all or nothing (in this case, nothing)
Pretty much sums it up, imo. They'll either go all the way, or they won't even bother. They wouldn't settle for nor allow anything else.

With how Disney is, it's a miracle that the classic that is Who Framed Roger Rabbit ever happened.

Shroob

Sup?
Pretty much sums it up, imo. They'll either go all the way, or they won't even bother. They wouldn't settle for nor allow anything else.

With how Disney is, it's a miracle that the classic that is Who Framed Roger Rabbit ever happened.
Different time, different leadership tbh.

Disney of the 80's/90's is a lot different than modern day.

SKX31

Smash Master
Also, imagine the ****show that would stir if Sora was a Mii costume.
Oh boy that would be prime YT troll / clickbait material.

"SANS VS SANS-SORA! (Ft. Samsora)"

Anyone have the FP1 Sales for Comparison (even if FP2 isn't done yet)?
No one outside Nintendo themselves have the sales numbers. And Nintendo's not the type of company to announce precise DLC sales figures.

There's no reliable tracker for how many bought the DLC either. Neither Online GSP nor Classic GSP tracks how many who bought DLC and not touched Online / Classic, for example.

The estimated max (Online) GSP is at 8,36 Million, so we can use that as a very rough baseline. Classic GSP's in the vicinity around there too (judging by my 9,9 Terry run, which is in the 8,8 Million range). These are only rough baselines though,

Still, my Cloud's got an Online GSP of ca. 8,31 Million, so it’s like my Cloud is in the top percentage of all Clouds. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Oh boy that would be prime YT troll / clickbait material.

"SANS VS SANS-SORA! (Ft. Samsora)"

No one outside Nintendo themselves have the sales numbers. And Nintendo's not the type of company to announce precise DLC sales figures.

There's no reliable tracker for how many bought the DLC either. Neither Online GSP nor Classic GSP tracks how many who bought DLC and not touched Online / Classic, for example.

The estimated max (Online) GSP is at 8,36 Million, so we can use that as a very rough baseline. Classic GSP's in the vicinity around there too (judging by my 9,9 Terry run, which is in the 8,8 Million range). These are only rough baselines though,

Still, my Cloud's got an Online GSP of ca. 8,31 Million, so it’s like my Cloud is in the top percentage of all Clouds. :4pacman:
Calm down, Youngster Joey.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Yeah, no way Sora is anything but a playable character if he ever gets into Smash.
I mean it’s still a possibility that he could end up as a mii since it’s all up to sakurai and Nintendo

and besides this seems more of a (western spec) bias to me where he can’t be anything but a fighter

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Also, imagine the ****show that would stir if Sora was a Mii costume.
I've said it before and I'll say it again; anything that knocks the snobbish side of the speculators off their rockers, scrambling to try and make something fit back into their narratives is bound to send me into hysterics.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I mean it’s still a possibility that he could end up as a mii since it’s all up to sakurai and Nintendo

and besides this seems more of a (western spec) bias to me where he can’t be anything but a fighter
they're not gonna deal with Disney, a multibillion dollar company, for a 75 cent mii costume,

Dinoman96

Smash Master

They are 100% not going up to Disney and dealing with their bull**** just for a ****ing Mii outfit, lol.

It's the one thing I'm absolutely confident about.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

It's not up to only Sakurai and Nintendo. It's also up to... Disney.

Now, none of us knows how Disney would feel about a Mii Costume. But we do know Disney likes their brands to be a big deal, so Sora as just a Mii Costume might not work out for them.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Well here's a hypothetical question to break up the monotony a little bit.

For Sony owned/exclusive characters, which fighter would bring the most interesting moveset, stage, music, or spirits? And which would be the most novel in terms of impact on the public?
Neku Sakuraba
Edit: I see a game company starting with 'S', and I think Square Enix.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Who says we can't get Rex and the newest XC protagonist? A franchise can get more than one new rep in the same Smash game.
The problem isn't that there can only be one, it's that the next Xenoblade Chronicles protagonist isn't set in stone if there's even a concept for them yet.
EDIT: That's how early the hypothetical Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is in development.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

I find it difficult not just due to Disney themselves placing a premium on their own IP, but also since you'd need Disney, Disney of Japan (apparently, if those rumors are true), Nomura himself and S-E to get anywhere with Sora. If you have to go through with all of those hoops, then it might be more "worth it" from Nintendo's PoV to get him as a fighter instead and reap much stronger rewards than a Mii Costume could. The only Mii Costume that has been HUGE so far is Sans, and he faced little controversy over the choice.

It's further complicated by the previous guest appearances Sora's had - apparently he's been limited time in World of Final Fantasy if I'm not mistaken?

Either way, it doesn't disqualify a Mii costume per se, but it places a major barrier.

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Even after Travis it shows that nobody is immune to mii outfits so it’s better not to even rule out the sora becoming a mii and say despite him being owned by a multibillion company

so what if y’all disagree? I’ll just choose to ignore because this is where I stand on this

besides I despise sora a ton

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This was pretty clear given your lack of making any sense.

Plus, who was saying Travis was immune to being Mii Costume'd? That never happened. Hell, even when Suda stopped speaking about him in Smash, clearly NDA'd, people still admitted that NMH could very well get nothing more than a Spirit Event.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
That's a funny way of spelling Mario, Pokemon and Fire Emblem.
Actually, a number of franchises have received multiple new representatives in the same release cycle!
  1. Mario introduced both Mario and Luigi in 64; Peach, Bowser, and Dr. Mario in Melee; and Rosalina and Bowser Jr. in Smash 4.
  2. Zelda introduced Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf simultaneously in Melee.
  3. Kirby introduced both Meta Knight and King Dedede in Brawl.
  4. Pokemon introduced both Pikachu and Jigglypuff in 64; Pichu and Mewtwo in Melee; and Pokemon Trainer and Lucario in Brawl.
  5. Fire Emblem introduced both Marth and Roy in Melee; and Lucina and Robin in Smash 4.
  6. Kid Icarus introduced both Palutena and Dark Pit in Smash 4.
  7. Castlevania had both Simon and Richter in Ultimate.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Different time, different leadership tbh.

Disney of the 80's/90's is a lot different than modern day.
Even then, we still only got like a minute of screentime with Mickey and Bugs in the same shot.

Same goes for Donald and Daffy (my favorite scene in the movie lol)

Is it ironic Disney was actually probably more relaxed about that kind of thing back then than they are now?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Actually, a number of franchises have received multiple new representatives in the same release cycle!
  1. Mario introduced both Mario and Luigi in 64; Peach, Bowser, and Dr. Mario in Melee; and Rosalina and Bowser Jr. in Smash 4.
  2. Zelda introduced Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf simultaneously in Melee.
  3. Kirby introduced both Meta Knight and King Dedede in Brawl.
  4. Pokemon introduced both Pikachu and Jigglypuff in 64; Pichu and Mewtwo in Melee; and Pokemon Trainer and Lucario in Brawl.
  5. Fire Emblem introduced both Marth and Roy in Melee; and Lucina and Robin in Smash 4.
  6. Kid Icarus introduced both Palutena and Dark Pit in Smash 4.
  7. Castlevania had both Simon and Richter in Ultimate.
Almost all of these cases involved clone fighters. Only Mario, Kirby and Pokemon introduced multiple characters in a single Smash game without any of them being clones.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think it really matters considering you still got two fully unique newcomers out of it.
I was saying that Mario, Kirby, and Pokemon are the only series to add multiple new fighters in a single Smash game without the addition of any clones. Mario got a clone in Melee (Dr. Mario), so it doesn't count.

D

Deleted member

Getting 2+ characters from the same franchise in a single game really boils down to whether or not the characters chosen have the necessary merits to get in. Series with a rotating cast usually pick from the latest release, which is why getting multiple unique fighters from said franchises is a rarity. Aside from that though, there’s no reason it couldn’t happen, especially with the addition of DLC cycles. For example, I’m sure there’s some alternate timeline where we got Lyn in base ultimate for her popularity (much like K. Rool), while still getting Byleth as DLC.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I was saying that Mario, Kirby, and Pokemon are the only series to add multiple new fighters in a single Smash game without the addition of any clones. Mario got a clone in Melee (Dr. Mario), so it doesn't count.
I think it's weird to not count Melee because it still got multiple non-clone Mario newcomers.

It's not like, say, Kid Icarus in Smash 4 where Palutena was unique while Dark Pit was just a (proto) echo fighter. Or Fire Emblem in Melee where Marth was unique but Roy was a clone.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Even after Travis it shows that nobody is immune to mii outfits so it’s better not to even rule out the sora becoming a mii and say despite him being owned by a multibillion company

so what if y’all disagree? I’ll just choose to ignore because this is where I stand on this

I'm not a fan of Sora either but No More Heroes and Kingdom Hearts aren't even remotely close in importance.

Nintendo isn't going to go through the hassle of negotiating with Disney just to waste the lead character of one of the most popular gaming IPs in the world on a Mii costume. Either Sora is playable or he isn't in the game period.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
This was pretty clear given your lack of making any sense.

Plus, who was saying Travis was immune to being Mii Costume'd? That never happened. Hell, even when Suda stopped speaking about him in Smash, clearly NDA'd, people still admitted that NMH could very well get nothing more than a Spirit Event.
When I said that I meant by very popular picks that people think are likely to become fighters that were yet to be mii’d

I should have explained it better

I'm not a fan of Sora either but No More Heroes and Kingdom Hearts aren't even remotely close in importance.

Nintendo isn't going to go through the hassle of negotiating with Disney just to waste the lead character of one of the most popular gaming IPs in the world on a Mii costume. Either Sora is playable or he isn't in the game period.
let’s say all the fighters have been decided and later on after that they wanted to include some form of kingdom hearts in the game despite all the fighters chose with none of them being sora

what’s gonna stop them from doing a mii outfit if that was the case?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
When I said that I meant by very popular picks that people think are likely to become fighters that were yet to be mii’d

I should have explained it better

let’s say all the fighters have been decided and later on after that they wanted to include some form of kingdom hearts in the game despite all the fighters chose with none of them being sora

what’s gonna stop them from doing a mii outfit if that was the case?
Disney: you want a Sora mii costume? $500 million dollars for every 6 months it stays on the Eshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom