• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, I have a question for the Falcom fans in tgis thread. What games do they have on Switch? I've honestly gotten curious about them from all the talking about them, but I don't have any Playstation consoles, which appears to be their preferred platform based on my limited research.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Okay, I have a question for the Falcom fans in tgis thread. What games do they have on Switch? I've honestly gotten curious about them from all the talking about them, but I don't have any Playstation consoles, which appears to be their preferred platform based on my limited research.
Haven’t really played much Falcom yet, but they recently announced Cold Steel 1&2 for Japan on the Switch, so if those get localized, all the Cold Steel entries will be on Switch (1-4).

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Haven’t really played much Falcom yet, but they recently announced Cold Steel 1&2 for Japan on the Switch, so if those get localized, all the Cold Steel entries will be on Switch (1-4).
Oh, good. I noticed only Cold Steel 3 was on there, and got nervous.

Don't ask why this kind of thing makes me nervous...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The Ones that are currently released are
-Ys Origin
-Ys VIII
-Trails Of Cold Steel III

Like SharkLord SharkLord said, Steam is the primo location for Falcom as all of the Trails and most of the Ys games are on there.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Generally, it seems that their preferred platform is Steam, actually. The most recent version of every Ys game is on there, with the exception of Ys V, which is unlocalized and considered one of the weaker games in the series anyways. I'm less knowledgeable for Trails, but it seems that the Sky and Cold Steel arcs are all there.

For the Switch, I at least know it has Ys VIII and Origins, and is going to have IX as well. Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4 are on the Switch as well. In addition, the Trails games Zero and Ao are coming to the Switch in South Korea, and CS 1 and 2 have Asian Switch ports as well.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The Ones that are currently released are
-Ys Origin
-Ys VIII
-Trails Of Cold Steel III

Like SharkLord SharkLord said, Steam is the primo location for Falcom as all of the Trails and most of the Ys games are on there.
Generally, it seems that their preferred platform is Steam, actually. The most recent version of every Ys game is on there, with the exception of Ys V, which is unlocalized and considered one of the weaker games in the series anyways. I'm less knowledgeable for Trails, but it seems that the Sky and Cold Steel arcs are all there.

For the Switch, I at least know it has Ys VIII and Origins, and is going to have IX as well. Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4 are on the Switch as well. In addition, the Trails games Zero and Ao are coming to the Switch in South Korea, and CS 1 and 2 have Asian Switch ports as well.
Sadly, I don't have Steam either, mainly because my laptop is outdated, apparently. Oh well, I guess I'll wait to see if CS 1 and 2 get localised for Switch.

SKX31

Smash Master

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's the prolouge to the Story Mode. Unlike the movesets, I'll release chapters when they're done.
Screenshot_20201029-183113.png
Screenshot_20201029-183205.png

This has a bit more human input than the movesets. I had to try really hard to make it lead into what I needed (dimension travel).

It also tried to make Luigi Mario's husband, Bowser his dad, and Kamek his wife but also daughter.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Here's the prolouge to the Story Mode. Unlike the movesets, I'll release chapters when they're done.View attachment 290692View attachment 290693
This has a bit more human input than the movesets. I had to try really hard to make it lead into what I needed (dimension travel).

It also tried to make Luigi Mario's husband, Bowser his dad, and Kamek his wife but also daughter.

I’m not sure how to react to this...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Correct me if I'm wrong, because most of my Falcom knowledge stems from Trails, but... wasn't Ys considered the first ARPG?
Not quite; There were a couple that came before it, and it seems that Dragon Slayer is considered the first codifier, coming before Ys and even Dragon Quest. That being said, Ys is a more popular and consistently long-running series, still going strong to this day. Dragon Slayer only lives on through spinoffs and spiritual successors, like Tokyo Xanadu and the Trails series, both of which have dropped the Dragon Slayer title.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
important question for you falcom nerds

so like, is it pronounced "yes" but it's missing the e or is it "is" but the i is now a y?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Why look at Castlevania when our first Konami character is Snake which by the time he joined Brawl is the face of Konami. Also why do you think NES game is always being put at a high pedestal than other console which felt. I dunno, really bias?

Also the Mii Costume could be said to Hayabusa which by design itself is simplistic and really could occupy multiple classes (except Gunner) and fit perfectly as a Deluxe Costume. You want to use his outfit on Mii Swordfighter? BOOM! he will use his katana. Oh, you want to put his costume on Brawler? BAM! no sword only fist and even one of Brawler's special is similar to the Izuna Drop. :)
The NES is the most important console of all-time. Its success SAVED gaming after the crash. There’s a high chance that we wouldn’t be here right now if it wasn’t for the NES. This coming from someone who doesn’t enjoy NES games.

Have we learned nothing from Travis guys?

Also i don't see Fortnite getting anything more than a Mii Costume or Spirit Event. The most recent Third Parties are:

-Bayonetta, whose game came out over a decade ago.
-Joker, whose franchise has been a thing since the late Nineties.
-Steve, whose game came out almost a decade ago.

I don't see us getting a character whose game came out only 3 years ago. No, Min Min is not a good comparison, as she is a Nintendo character, and Nintendo characters have different standards compared to Third Parties. Maybe in a future Smash Game we could see some Fortnite Rep when the franchise gets older, and if the series takes the Popularity Polynomial Route like Minecraft did, i think it's pretty likely.

I wish i could care about Fortnite but i don't, it feels too much like a trendy thing. I know Flood Gate Openers will hate me for saying this but it is. Five years from now i will definetly change my tune though, as by that time the IP will prove itself as a household name instead of cultural flavor of the month. It's the same reason why i would have hated Steve's inclusion in Smash 4 but okay with it now.
Pretty much this. I’m a casual Fortnite fan; I played a good amount of it in early 2018 right before it became a juggernaut & I’ve been playing a bit during this new Marvel event. It’s a pretty fun game. I like how goofy it is as well as how much support it’s gotten; yeah it’s a cash cow but I feel the developers care.

But Fortnite’s in a weird spot where I don’t know if it’s a fad or not. If Fortnite is still popular in 2026 when the next Smash is out, then bring on Jonesy. But Jonesy in Ultimate would feel really out of place.

This will get some eyes rolling. Spin this wheel 4 times and see who you get. Those will be the next 4 fighters.
DJ Professor K (Jet Set Radio)
Geno
Zero
Sora

I haven’t played Jet Set but that series seems cool so I’m down for a rep. I’m cool with giving the Geno guys some peace finally lmao. Zero & Sora would be hyyyype.
As I just posted in the Social Thread, I got done marathoning a few games in a certain series, and after doing so, while I don't necessarily know the likelihood of them becoming playable (depends on whether or not a certain Mii Fighter costume from Fighters Pass 1 has any impact), I'm now throwing my Smash support behind a certain character I've grown to love these past couple weeks...
Ezio would be great. I saw a moveset a couple months ago that would’ve been fun; I wish I saved it but the forward tilt was Ezio throwing coins which won me over. Rayman is cool & all but Ezio should be the first Ubisoft character.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Wait so 2 Things I want to say

1. So was the no Comment thing, from the Fortnite guy not the Full quote? I heard that it might have been "No Comment, but it would be cool", which cold have a different meaning than what we are interpreting

2. Personally if we do get something Falcom related, I'm gonna have to say that Adol and Rean might not have a Presense. In a interview with Falcom guy, he said Adol wouldn't make sense, but Rean would because he's a Swordsman, which doesn't make sense since Adol is a Swordsman. Estelle also wasn't brought up at all. This looks more like Estelle might just be a Mii Costume, as in only her. Of course Adol and Rean being mentioned might not kill any presense they have in the game, but I'm just saying

SNEKeater

Smash Master
2. Personally if we do get something Falcom related, I'm gonna have to say that Adol and Rean might not have a Presense. In a interview with Falcom guy, he said Adol wouldn't make sense, but Rean would because he's a Swordsman, which doesn't make sense since Adol is a Swordsman. Estelle also wasn't brought up at all. This looks more like Estelle might just be a Mii Costume, as in only her. Of course Adol and Rean being mentioned might not kill any presense they have in the game, but I'm just saying
If anything them not mentioning Estelle looks sus to me, I think she's popular enough among Falcom characters to be considered. All of this assuming Falcom is getting a character, of course, which is a separate matter. If I was Falcom's president I'd try to avoid to mention the name of the character I know is getting in Smash, even if it's just in case.

About Adol yes, it doesn't make sense. I think he would qualify as a swordfighter. I guess his comment was because of how Ys games usually play and all that, I guess?

Also there's this interview from September 2018, where they asked Kondo, Falcom's president, if they would be okay with Adol in Smash Ultimate, and he basically said they would be delighted. At least, that's what says google translate:

Then the other interview you're alluding to, which I don't remember when happened (it was last year, I think), Kondo certainly talked about Rean. If I'm not mistaken Rean is his favourite character so there's that. But if Nintendo or Sakurai wanted another character they would get that one, unless Nintendo and Sakurai approached Falcom for a character, no matter who, and then decide which one would get in once they started negotiations with Falcom. But I think this isn't really a likely scenario, I'd guess Sakurai would at least have someone in mind before approaching Falcom.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I emailed KIKYAMA about any potential Smash Bros. negotiations, and they didn't respond. Kind of suspicious, I think it might actually be happening.
Because text is such a lossy compression of thought, yes, I am joking.

Last edited:

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Sadly, I don't have Steam either, mainly because my laptop is outdated, apparently. Oh well, I guess I'll wait to see if CS 1 and 2 get localised for Switch.
Trails in the Sky doesn't require much in the way of a powerful PC, and are reasonably priced on Steam/GOG(not to mention they go on sale fairly often). For example, here is what you need for Sky FC according to Steam:

-MINIMUM-
Processor: Pentium III 550 MHz.
Memory: 512 MB RAM.
Graphics: 32 MB VRAM, 3D accelerator compatible w/ DirectX 9.0c.
DirectX: Version 9.0c.
Storage: 3 GB available space.
Sound Card: Compatible with DirectX 9.0c.

-RECOMMENDED-
Processor: Core 2 Duo 2GHz or higher
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: 64 MB VRAM, 3D accelerator compatible w/ DirectX 9.0c
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 4 GB available space
Sound Card: Compatible with DirectX 9.0c

So as long as you have a laptop that was considered even remotely decent from 10 years ago, it should still work fine for all three Sky games(unless the laptop itself is in bad condition). They were originally made for the PC back in 2004 which is why the requirements aren't as harsh. But if you do get it, make sure to adjust the framerate in the launcher settings so that it is capped at 30 or 60 FPS. Having it set to auto can cause it to go as high as over 100 FPS, which isn't necessary at all. Also, there is a demo for the PC version of Cold Steel 3 on GOG, so if you're curious to see if it is even remotely possible to play it on your laptop, that would be best way to test it(unless you're afraid of your laptop exploding, lol).

As for other Falcom titles on the Switch, I recommend Ys VIII wholeheartedly. Ys Origins is apparently good(unfortunately I still haven't played it yet so I can't say I personally liked it), and I seem to recall it being reasonably priced on the eShop at around $20. Anyways, I hope you have fun if you decide to try any of them!

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Also, I feel that maybe I have been underestimating Rean's chances. I actually believe he could be a serious contender if Falcom were to get a character in Smash. Trails of Cold Steel was the first Falcom game to break the 1 million barrier. The first game in the Cold Steel saga sold 1,5 million according to this (September 2018):

Then a few weeks ago Falcom reported the Trails series achieved 5 million. The first Cold Steel game has at least sold 1,5 million, obviously more than that since 2018. That's impressive in it's own way and a good sign for Rean.

At the same time I feel Estelle could have the edge when it comes to rep the Trails series. I know it doesn't prove anything but Falcom pushes her as well as sort of the face of the Trails series.

Logo for the 10th anniversary of Trails (at this point Zero no Kiseki, Ao no Kiseki, Cold Steel 1 and Cold Steel 2 already released, games without Estelle as a protagonist):

Logo for the 15th anniversary, with her being clearly in the center of the logo (the anniversary was last year, with Cold Steel III and IV already released at that point):

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Sounds like the average Crusader Kings game.

(No seriously, the CK fandom's notorious for that. In spades.)

If anything them not mentioning Estelle looks sus to me, I think she's popular enough among Falcom characters to be considered. All of this assuming Falcom is getting a character, of course, which is a separate matter. If I was Falcom's president I'd try to avoid to mention the name of the character I know is getting in Smash, even if it's just in case.

About Adol yes, it doesn't make sense. I think he would qualify as a swordfighter. I guess his comment was because of how Ys games usually play and all that, I guess?

Also there's this interview from September 2018, where they asked Kondo, Falcom's president, if they would be okay with Adol in Smash Ultimate, and he basically said they would be delighted. At least, that's what says google translate:

Then the other interview you're alluding to, which I don't remember when happened (it was last year, I think), Kondo certainly talked about Rean. If I'm not mistaken Rean is his favourite character so there's that. But if Nintendo or Sakurai wanted another character they would get that one, unless Nintendo and Sakurai approached Falcom for a character, no matter who, and then decide which one would get in once they started negotiations with Falcom. But I think this isn't really a likely scenario, I'd guess Sakurai would at least have someone in mind before approaching Falcom.
I'd assume so, yes. It does kind of beg the question of who Sakurai / Furukawa would prefer. And as a complete outsider to Falcom's stuff, I do wonder which of those three would be considered the frontrunner if it appears to be that relatively close.

Big announcement from Nintendo, very cool.

Is this a tease for a tournament where one can only play as Zombie and Enderman? :4pacman:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Let me propose a question because after pondering it over myself, I feel as though my feelings on this subject have changed. I want to gather some opinions.

Why the hate for a Fortnite or Overwatch character?

Fortnite and Overwatch are both phenomenal examples of successful games from the most recent era in gaming. Smash Bros. is supposed to be a celebration of gaming history. We don't have many characters from the most recent era (2015-2020).

Sure, both games may be hotspots for kids and, dare I say, "normies," but I believe Fortnite and Overwatch should have just as much of a chance as any other gaming franchise. Like Minecraft, they're too huge to ignore, moreso Fortnite than Overwatch but still.

We can block out the idea of these games getting a character into Smash, but if it does happen, it makes way too much sense. They're just being overlooked because of the stigma that surrounds their games like Minecraft before Steve got in.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
French here, the exact translation would be:
"This is a inevitable question with the recent release of Ys VIII on Switch and with Smash ultimate coming soon. Should we expect Adol in the roster? Are you personally excited by the idea?"

"Of course, it would be an honor to have the opportunity and I would say "yes" with no hesitation".

So, yes if the opportunity is there I think that negociation for Adol would go very easily.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Because Fortnite, and to a lesser extent Overwatch, is hot and popular. It gets shown everywhere in the gaming landscape. And if you don't like it, then you naturally get of sick. Add to the fact that young kids play it, and you get the perfect recipe for hate and apathy.

Just give it a few more years and people will look back on Fortnite with nostalgia and whatnot. It happened with Minecraft and Undertale, it'll happen with Fortnite.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I think it's more that he couldn't really develop a clear image of how Adol would play. Dunno why he'd be harder than Rean, but maybe it's because Ys has gone through so many different gameplay shifts over the years that he isn't sure exactly what to focus on. There's also the fact that some gameplay elements might not fit Smash as well as others, such as the bump system.

Either way, I'm not putting a very large amount of stock into the dev's focus. In the end, it's up to Nintendo and Sakurai.
I'd assume so, yes. It does kind of beg the question of who Sakurai / Furukawa would prefer. And as a complete outsider to Falcom's stuff, I do wonder which of those three would be considered the frontrunner if it appears to be that relatively close.
Adol or Estelle are easily the frontrunners, being the faces of Falcom's biggest series. Who's more likely than the other, I don't know. Honestly, I'm not even sure if we can measure the distance between them, what with all the unknown variables.

From what I can gather, it feels like Adol is the Hero and Estelle is Cloud, but with their respective regions of popularity being flipped.

7NATOR

Smash Master

This Interview happen just before Anime Expo, and was posted on July 15 of 2019, so FP2 was being Considered around this Time.

Also Yeah, I think when it comes between Falcom Rep, Adol, Rean, and Estelle all have merits to join Smash over the others, and it isn't just one sole character that would Obviously get in as the character.

But as for the Interview at hand, I do think it was very sus Estelle wasn't mentioned, and that Adol was said not to make sense, but Rean does becauase he has a Sword, when Adol also has one. The question asked also wasn't a Specifc character like it was with Arle, but a question kinda of like the one asked towards SNK, where they answered Galfords dog instead of any realistic character like Terry, Kyo, or Nakoruru.

This might be bad for Rean and Adol thing in terms of haveing a presense in the game at all, because so far Companies have gone out of their way not to mention any characters that might have a presense unless asked specfically about the character. Even in cases like SNK and Netherrealm where they are asked for a Rep for Smash, they either don't mention one specfically (Like with Netherrealm and Mortal Kombat), or they mention one that is Outlandish (SNK).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Let me propose a question because after pondering it over myself, I feel as though my feelings on this subject have changed. I want to gather some opinions.

Fortnite and Overwatch are both phenomenal examples of successful games from the most recent era in gaming. Smash Bros. is supposed to be a celebration of gaming history. We don't have many characters from the most recent era (2015-2020).

Sure, both games may be hotspots for kids and, dare I say, "normies," but I believe Fortnite and Overwatch should have just as much of a chance as any other gaming franchise. Like Minecraft, they're too huge to ignore, moreso Fortnite than Overwatch but still.

We can block out the idea of these games getting a character into Smash, but if it does happen, it makes way too much sense. They're just being overlooked because of the stigma that surrounds their games like Minecraft before Steve got in.
I don't speak for everyone, of course, but personally, I actually took a good look at Fortnite back when it was a co-op survival game (what would later become Save the World). However, I pretty much lost all of that interest once they changed direction and went full pop culture/battle royale. That, along with Epic's shenanigans, pretty much killed whatever faith I could have had in the game.

To me, that's the big difference between Fortnite and any other huge/popular game out there: as far as I'm concerned, it's got very little identity of its own that isn't memes or crossover events with Marvel and what have you.

Sure, most people here don't agree with me and that's okay, but that's just how I feel. I never got that same vibe from, say, Minecraft or Five Nights at Freddy's or what have you. Nevermind Undertale and League, which are games I love.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I've said it before but with it being brought up yet again, a Fortnite fighter in this pass would be a more realistic fear if we hadn't just had Steve (though in fairness I do quite like Steve's inclusion). With the current circumstances its more just a scary campfire story. If we get another pass announcement, then you should start worrying.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Add to the fact that young kids play it, and you get the perfect recipe for hate and apathy.
I wanted to highlight this portion of your post. Not saying you specifically think this, but people do in general.

When Steve was revealed, I saw videos on YouTube and posts stating "why Steve? Who wants a kid's character in Smash? Only kids playing Minecraft......."

BUT ISN'T SMASH BROS' TARGET AUDIENCE KIDS?! A lot of adults play it too, but Smash Bros. is still technically a kid's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom