• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Probably cause they’re both huge characters. Don-Chan is iconic in Japan and Dark Souls is SUPER popular in the West. Kos-Mos doesn’t quite reach either of those heights but even still, with the love that Namco gives Monolithsoft to this day like in Xenoblade 2, I wouldn’t say she’s quite off the table either.
Don-chan, the taiko drum?

D

Deleted member

I’m not even sure it popularized the genre really, PUBG was a huge deal but Epic has the foresight and massive amount of developers to see that Battle Royale HAS to be on consoles. I think PUB made it popular and then Fortnite just gave it to everyone by having it free and by having it on every console KNOWN to man.
So you're saying its the Starbucks of the gaming world? It's not necessarily good, its just that it popped up everywhere and became trendy.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Where I stand on a Fortnite rep is that I'd not necessarily be angry-There's worse things to be angry about, and oftentimes I just feel bad after being angry-But it's not exactly my cup of tea. The game just doesn't interest me. Usually, I'd be willing to give it a chance, but A: The dances are really annoying, and, more importantly, B: The game I don't care about is %$#@ing everywhere, and that pushes it into ire. If there was a song you were neutral on, but it played every time on the radio and it didn't grow on you, I'd imagine you'd be pretty irritated.

Some of my friends like it, though. Guess I'll just have to push myself to be happy for them. :/
I do want to bring it back to Nihhon-Falcom to change the subject from leaks for the millionth time. Any fans of that company want to give me some good games to check out? Which Ys? I think Disgae is from them? That sort of thing
From what I can gather, the games that are considered the best in the series are Oath in Felghana (A remake of the third game) and Lacrimosa of Dana (The eighth game, usually just called Ys VIII). The latter is on PlayStation and Switch, and both are on Steam. I've only played VIII so far, but I've been loving it.

It should also be noted that Disgaea is from NIS, who seems to be publishing Falcom games recently but doesn't directly make them.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
honestly if jonesy is next imma just be tired. i'd be halfway through the pass with still no character that provokes a bigger reaction from me than "ok, who's next?" and at that point i think i'd start losing interest in this whole shebang a bit

and like, even putting my thoughts on fortnite aside, getting three characters in a row who appeal to a younger, more casual audience after the first pass was so great precisely because it pulled from all kinds of different demographics would be kinda lame tbh

osby

Smash Obsessed
honestly if jonesy is next imma just be tired. i'd be halfway through the pass with still no character that provokes a bigger reaction from me than "ok, who's next?" and at that point i think i'd start losing interest in this whole shebang a bit

and like, even putting my thoughts on fortnite aside, getting three characters in a row who appeal to a younger, more casual audience after the first pass was so great precisely because it pulled from all kinds of different demographics would be kinda lame tbh
Eh.

I'd argue that at least three characters in the first pass appeals to an older, relatively hardcore audience. Second pass going in the other direction would actually broaden the target demographic.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
I do want to bring it back to Nihhon-Falcom to change the subject from leaks for the millionth time. Any fans of that company want to give me some good games to check out? Which Ys? I think Disgae is from them? That sort of thing
For Ys, I recommend either Ys: Memories of Celceta or Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. Memories of Celceta is great because it gives you insight into who Adol is via the plot device they use in the game(he loses his memories and you're trying to regain them). Ys VIII is absolutely amazing. I never felt bored playing it, despite spending well over a hundred hours on it. However, if I had to recommend which to play first, it would probably be Memories, if only because I think it is a great way to connect to Adol first. You don't need any prior knowledge of the Ys games to jump in at any point, so have at it!

For Trails, there are three(four if you count Cold Steel 3) potential starting points for the series(keep in mind that they all take place within the same world, and each arc has direct sequels in them):
1 - Trails in the Sky FC(which leads into Sky SC and Sky 3rd)

2 - Trails from Zero(which leads into Trails to Azure - Zero/Azure are currently not officially localized, but the fan translation made by Geofront is really good, so it is still a viable option if you don't mind following their instructions to patch the games)

3 - Cold Steel 1(which leads into Cold Steel 2, 3, 4, and eventually Hajimari).

Some might argue that CS3 is also a starting point because NIS/NISA ported/localized it to the Switch. While it can be, it's not a good idea since a lot of returning characters from CS1/2 make appearances(and even ones from the Sky/Zero/Azure games), and the game kind of assumes you are aware of some of them. You can view summaries of the events from CS1/2 via an option on the title screen for CS3, as well as profiles for all of the important characters for those games, but it just isn't enough to truly cover it all. So if possible, it is best to at least start with CS1 before going into the other CS games.

As for which Trails game it is best to start with, because they all take place within the same world, it is typically suggested by fans that you go in release order(so Sky FC > Sky SC > Sky 3rd > Zero > Azure > CS1/2/3/4/Hajimari). That said, starting with Zero or CS1 is completely fine too. CS3 less so, but if it's the only option available to you, it's still a great game. You can even play the demo on the Switch if you're interested in checking it out(it covers the entire prologue chapter if I recall, so even if you're not sure you want to start there, you can always try that to get a feel for the gameplay).

Disgaea isn't made by Nihon Falcom, but rather NIS. Even so, if you want to try some games from them, then there are demos of both Disgaea 4 and 5 on the eShop. I enjoyed Disgaea 1, and thought Disgaea 5 was okay for the most part(I had some minor issues with the story, but I enjoyed it enough to finish). I never played Disgaea 2, 3 or 4 though unfortunately, so I have no comment on those. You can look up a game called The Guided Fate Paradox if you enjoy Roguelike RPGs, as it is also made by NIS. Although it's only available on the PS3, from what I recall.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
wha? Are you talking about Disgaea? Are you trying to say Nipponichi?

I.D.

Smash Lord
I'd accept a Mii Costume, especially if it's a Mii Brawler so I can claim KOS-MOS is top tier ( :p ):
Funny thing is she could be all 3 types of mii fighters. Hope they go in that direction if she gets a costume.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I'm sold. put in the Taiko drum. Those games are awesome. Every time I flew to Asia, I played it in the arcade. Love it.
The closest I can get to an authentic Taiko game is the game on switch because, as far as I know, no arcade around where I live has the actual arcade games.

If Don-chan got in smash, they would be the most colorful character in the game

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I do want to bring it back to Nihhon-Falcom to change the subject from leaks for the millionth time. Any fans of that company want to give me some good games to check out? Which Ys?
Just Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. You don't need to go back to Y's. They aren't that great.

OOH! And Faxanadu!

Yeah. If we're getting a Psychonauts character, it's gonna be Raz.
Exactly.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
It's ok, just be like me and let hyperfixations choose the character that you want to talk about
I guess in that case the Next character according to my current fixation is Kamen Rider EX-Aid, I mean he is in a weird way a Video Game Character.

Just Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. You don't need to go back to Y's. They aren't that great.

OOH! And Faxanadu!

Exactly.
Fun Fact about Faxanadu, It was in Captain N thus Falcom already crossed over with several smash characters, ESTELLE CONFIRM

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'll put credence in the leak if/once we get the predicted spirit event. Too many times have there been leaks that have information about games and throw in fake Smash stuff to get the people going.

Anyway, the leak is firmly within the realm of "reasonable guess" so far. Ports and localizations are pretty common things and with the success of the Switch people predict games/series to be ported all the time.
True. The spirit event thing the leak mentions feels a bit odd, now that I think about it.
The leaks says we would get a lot of Falcom music, from Ys and Trails, which are different series and reminds me of Terry's treatment. Then, I'd assume spirits from Trails could come with Adol, if he's the one Nintendo chooses, just like Terry had SamSho or KoF spirits.

So having a separate spirit event for Trails of Cold Steel 4 feels weird to me. I don't have any idea which characters would feel right for a spirit event based on Ys, I haven't played the series yet, but assuming it comes with Trails spirits as well, I assume at least Estelle, Lloyd and Rean would be in there. And I believe Rean is still the main character in Cold Steel 4.

I'm gonna try Ys VIII soon but so far what I've seen and read of the game is that it's a really fun and interesting action RPG. Ys is much more faster and action focused than Trails games (at least the Sky games which are the ones I've played so far), and from what I gathered my perception is that Ys has less focus in narrative and story, while a selling point of Trails games is the worldbuilding, the strong focus on the narrative, and more.

The Trails in the Sky trilogy are more or less turn based, with a grid system, with a big focus on Crafts, which are special abilities the characters can perform. Crafts are also used to interrupt your opponent's turn if you want, which adds a more dynamic layer to the gameplay.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Trolling/off-topic
Geno thread is back on its BS, they've convinced themselves that Geno is the next character and he was swapped with Steve because the Gamestop thing and Genoposting back in the summer not panning out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I guess in that case the Next character according to my current fixation is Kamen Rider EX-Aid, I mean he is in a weird way a Video Game Character.

Fun Fact about Faxanadu, It was in Captain N thus Falcom already crossed over with several smash characters, ESTELLE CONFIRM
EXCITE EXCITE TAKANARU
EnragedImpoliteFieldspaniel-max-1mb.gif

Geno thread is back on its BS, they've convinced themselves that Geno is the next character and he was swapped with Steve because the Gamestop thing and Genoposting back in the summer not panning out.
What's that, water's wet?

In all seriousness, that Gamestop thing is hilarious because it would require at least 6 different **** ups to be legit, it's honestly more farfetched than the ****ing purple and yellow chairs

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don’t think it’ll ever end until either Geno is confirmed as playable; the pass ends and Geno is totally absent in any form; or his Mii costume returns

betting on the third personally

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I hope he at least gets added to a Smash fan game so Kamen Rider fan get way more exposure in the west.
EXCITE EXCITE TAKANARU
View attachment 290663

What's that, water's wet?

In all seriousness, that Gamestop thing is hilarious because it would require at least 6 different **** ups to be legit, it's honestly more farfetched than the ****ing purple and yellow chairs
Agreed. And you know the worst part is that they'll keep holding onto it for the rest of the Pass too like they do CacoMallow.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I hope he at least gets added to a Smash fan game so Kamen Rider fan get way more exposure in the west.

Agreed. And you know the worst part is that they'll keep holding onto it for the rest of the Pass too like they do CacoMallow.
And then, IF, somehow, a third pass happens, they’ll be like “Cacomallow HAS to happen this pass!”

mark. my. words.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
People warned them about getting their hopes up too much but they don't listen and each time Geno isn't a pass they get depressed. It's not worth even talking about them at this point, let them do what they want to do if it works out for them great, if it doesn't they'll have to live with the consequences

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why are we talking about Geno, let alone the Geno thread? Have we not done that to death?
Sometimes when we’re really bored

we talk about Geno and/or his thread

if it’s not that, it’s Gen 8 debates, Rex vs Elma debates, cuts debates, Goku talk or surprise NSFW topics

you get used to it...

What's even the point of this comment? Ignoring the fact you regularly post in the Geno thread, this just seems like a magnet for unneeded hostility, especially with the way you phrased it.

Why are we talking about Geno, let alone the Geno thread? Have we not done that to death?
For real, it's not even a dead horse now, it's a rotting, maggot infested carcass.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sometimes when we’re really bored

we talk about Geno and/or his thread

if it’s not that, it’s Gen 8 debates, Rex vs Elma debates, cuts debates, Goku talk or surprise NSFW topics

you get used to it...
Yeah, I know, but shouldn’t there be more to talk about aside from that?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
because it pulled from all kinds of different demographics
I don't even know if certain people want to pay attention to that. They just want to dab on those goddamn Smash boomers by any means necessary, even if it means having to act like the Neo Geo Pocket Color wasn't screwed due to Pokemania.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, I know, but shouldn’t there be more to talk about aside from that?
Leaks, but they’ve been so rare and a lot obviously troll bait that finding one worth entertaining is like finding a needle in a haystack

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

There's a part of me that wishes Captain N was eligible for Smash, but I don't even know who owns the IP...
From what I saw, they seem to be overanalysing Sakurai's latest Famitsu column. Apparently, he mentioned Steve was worked on during the pandemic, but it seems pretty vague what he meant by that.

Though just to clarify, when was Japan's first reported COVID case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom