• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
As I just posted in the Social Thread, I got done marathoning a few games in a certain series, and after doing so, while I don't necessarily know the likelihood of them becoming playable (depends on whether or not a certain Mii Fighter costume from Fighters Pass 1 has any impact), I'm now throwing my Smash support behind a certain character I've grown to love these past couple weeks...

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh by the way, I'm on a thread on 4chan about the Fortnite thing

The guy that leaked this conversation is known for leaking Fortnite and Epic Game stuff, so There's Very good chance he's real credible. Yes

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Oh by the way, I'm on a thread on 4chan about the Fortnite thing

The guy that leaked this conversation is known for leaking Fortnite and Epic Game stuff, so There's Very good chance he's real credible. Yes
This may age poorly, and I'll even try to come back to quote myself if I'm wrong...

I think Jonesy or some other Fortnite character is coming to Smash and will be revealed at The Game Awards now (EDIT: if this rumor is true). If I'm right, I'll be happy for the Fortnite fans.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I wouldn’t mind a Fortnite character honestly, I’m sure they would be fun to play as, and it’s big enough for me to be cool with it. If it happens I mainly hope we get different characters through alts, Jonesy’s design doesn’t do anything for me; if we could get our first Latino character in Smash that would be pretty cool.

I’m already very satisfied with the roster, there is only one character I’m upset isn’t playable, and I really don’t expect them to get in as DLC, sure there are characters I’d be more happy to see over others, but I’m not going to be upset with who gets in at this point (unless it’s a bad character from a bad game that flopped or something wacky like that).

Last edited:

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
As of yet, the shortest turnaround of time from a 3rd party series debuting to getting a playable Smash character is, at the shortest, 7 years (Bayonetta, although Nintendo was involved with 2) or, depending on how you count it, 9 or 11 years (Minecraft). Fortnite is only 3 years old. Not that it's not substantially popular, but I don't think it's proven itself to have the staying power in gaming history necessary to warrant a Smash slot. A Mii costume or spirit event does seem plausible, however.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I must admit, I feel a considerable amount of schadenfreude at watching people who are always putting down characters for not being "popular/big/iconic enough" to be in smash feel completely disappointed by Steve and now pure dread at the mere prospect of Fortnite getting in.

Smash DLC should be only for big, popular icons? Well how about Steve Minecraft and Jonesy Fortnite? I really doubt your most wanted (whoever that literally who is lmao) is anywhere near as popular as these two.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
I must admit, I feel a considerable amount of schadenfreude at watching people who are always putting down characters for not being "popular/big/iconic enough" to be in smash feel completely disappointed by Steve and now pure dread at the mere prospect of Fortnite getting in.

Smash DLC should be only for big, popular icons? Well how about Steve Minecraft and Jonesy Fortnite? I really doubt your most wanted (whoever that literally who is lmao) is anywhere near as popular as these two.
Yeah, that is one reason I'll be neutral if Fortnite gets in Smash. In my opinion, it definitely would be good for Smash because of its popularity.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Counterpoint: Nobody cares about Jonesy. It's all about the nameless avatar from the battle royale mode. :p

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like a lot of this has to do with the casual vs hardcore crowd, and to a lesser extend, and I know some people will hate hearing this, boomers vs zoomers.

Ultimate's sold over 20 million copies by this point as far as I know, I believe the last time they updated the sales rankings it was sitting at over 19 million, and I bet most of those people are either kids, or people who are extremely casual. They don't sit around online and debate the merits of Hayabusa, or conspiracy theory about Geno, or scrutinize leaks, they play Smash when they want to because it's fun.

I mean, Steve broke goddamn Twitter. The silent majority of this community is greater than a lot of people realize, and while the hardcore fans absolutely do get bones thrown their way, Ridley, K.Rool, Banjo, I can't at all blame them for reaching out to arguably the bigger of the two markets. Just because you spend online debating and theorizing about Smash, doesn't make you any different than someone who picks up and plays the game when a new character drops and then waits for the next, and that's probably a majority of the Smash community, even if they take 0 part in discussion online about it.

And as for the other point.... I mean, yeah, it's kinda obvious. Like Minecraft, like Five Nights at Freddy's, like Undertale, people rag on Fortnite cause "Kids", and while I've never played the game myself, my sister does and it seems wholly inoffensive to me, I don't see anything 'wrong' with it at a surface level glance. It's just a video game. I feel like a lot of us older people are stuck in our ways of "Kids these days and their dang default dances and jumpscares! Games were better back in my day!", to which I respond with simply, maybe they were, but we're not living in those times anymore. What's hip with the kids is the future of gaming. You either have to accept that you're living in the past, which, hey, it's not like you'll probably ever run out of games to play, or just, kinda accept that this is what games are like nowadays. Your Minecrafts, your Fortnites, your Fall Guys, your Among Us', your etc etc etc. They definitely still make games for people who are older sure, but you can't blame companies for wanting to cash in on what's hot right now either.

Now, does it have 'staying power'? That, I can't answer, the game is only a few years old, and would be the youngest 3rd party to get in Smash, and by that I mean its IP, Joker is younger but Persona is long running, but I feel like if it 'did' get in Smash, well, that'd definitely help. The game's already big, and if Steve broke Twitter, I legit kinda feel like Jonesy would probably do the same, because again, the casual crowd is huge.

Now, do I 'think' Jonesy, or a Fortnite character is in?.... Not really. I feel like a Mii costume probably, but we also have 0 indication if that leak holds any credibility at all.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
If Smash is supposed to be a celebration of all of gaming, then why is it "video game characters only" despite there being some MAJOR video games based on non-gaming properties such as the Arkham series, Goldeneye, and DuckTales? And who are the Sakurais and Bamco to decide what is considered "iconic"? Also, why are more than 60 of the characters on the roster from one company? And why is the game exclusive to one console? And why are there 8 characters from a series only weeb****ters play?

I don't see it as a celebration of all of gaming, and I'm cool with all of the Fire Emblem characters in Smash. I don't think "representation" (or "reps" as I like to call them) should be taken into account when deciding fighters, and I don't think there should be non-gaming characters in either. But if Smash is supposed to be this whole "gaming museum" thing, then it's doing a pathetic job at that (especially with the removal of trophies).

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Lmao we talked about Falcom a lot lately and Falcom announced some stuff that matches with a big rumour which includes a Falcom character in Smash. Still has a good chance at being fake but it's funny how everything seems to line up more and more for Adol in Smash
What rumour are we talking about here?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Lmao we talked about Falcom a lot lately and Falcom announced some stuff that matches with a big rumour which includes a Falcom character in Smash. Still has a good chance at being fake but it's funny how everything seems to line up more and more for Adol in Smash
To be more specific. Zero and Ao no Kiseki Kai got announced to be releasing on the Switch via Korean and Chinese outlets.

And if that's not enough Cold Steel was also announced very close to the announcement as well.

So with the Ys 9 Switch announcement and the Crossbell duology and Cold Steel getting ported to the Switch the only thing from the leak that has yet to happen is Falcom in Smash.

What rumour are we talking about here?
The leak in question comes from 4chan

Here's the text version:
Source messaged me this a while back:
Nintendo had been in talks with Falcom and NIS around September of last year.
Discussions were made around adding a character to Smash Ultimate. Discussions went extremely smoothly.
Cannot reveal who the character is but chances are that it's likely pic related (Adol Christin) or adult Rean Schwarzer.
Trails of Cold Steel spirit event is coming, source didn't specify if it was for 1, 2, 3, or 4. Unsure if it's a random event or related to the character itself.
A lot of music is going to come with the Falcom character, Falcom was very generous. Expect 30+ tracks featuring music from both Trails and Ys.
Discussions with NIS included things like Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4 coming to the Switch (confirmed). Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure are planned to be announced "soon", at least for the PS4; very likely Switch will get confirmed around the same time.
Ys IX is also coming to the PS4 and Switch in the West. Unsure if it's going to be announced soon or not.
One of the key reasons why Nintendo went to Falcom was their popularity in the Japan/China region. The fact that their games were not graphically demanding ensured that they could stick to the graphical capabilities of Switch/Nintendo for years to come.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To be more specific. Zero and Ao no Kiseki Kai got announced to be releasing on the Switch via Korean and Chinese outlets.
https://twitter.com/CLE_KR/status/1321693497150328832
And if that's not enough Cold Steel was also announced very close to the announcement as well.
https://twitter.com/CLE_JPN/status/1321693247228424192

So with the Ys 9 Switch announcement and the Crossbell duology and Cold Steel getting ported to the Switch the only thing from the leak that has yet to happen is Falcom in Smash.
Huh. Looking good for Adol or Rean then.

Only thing that gives me pause is that we've had a very similar situation with Dante in the base game, and we all know how that one turned out.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
A shower thought of mine from early this week:

Is there a well renown characters from the Amstrad ERA that can be a good fit for Super Smash Bros ? I would love to have defunct compagny with iconic character in smash.

Now for the current topic I am not very familiar with this Falcom compagny.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I love how when I used the "too recent" argument and "not enough staying Power" against Tracer everyone hated me because I was gatekeeping and that I didn't understand how big Overwatch is, but now this argument is use with Fortnite which is only 1 year more recent and as far more staying power because at least Fortnite isn't dead, but everyone agree now because Fortnite = bad.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
View attachment 290654

And just like that, all of my care and beliefs in its validity suddenly vanished.
I mean, I'm with you here. I'll always be skeptical towards a 4chan leak. But it is certain that so far the leak has been pretty much right. Obviously it could be a coincidence, someone with real info that has decided to troll people putting Smash info in the leak (like happened with Dante before Ultimate released), or whatever.

But at least it has something going for it, even if it's just luck or coincidence. That said, if we're really getting a Falcom character, I'm unfortunately ready for all the "literal who" and "anime swordman" complains on Twitter. I can see people calling Adol "Roy 2" lol

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I'll put credence in the leak if/once we get the predicted spirit event. Too many times have there been leaks that have information about games and throw in fake Smash stuff to get the people going.

Anyway, the leak is firmly within the realm of "reasonable guess" so far. Ports and localizations are pretty common things and with the success of the Switch people predict games/series to be ported all the time.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But at least it has something going for it, even if it's just luck or coincidence. That said, if we're really getting a Falcom character, I'm unfortunately ready for all the "literal who" and "anime swordman" complains on Twitter. I can see people calling Adol "Roy 2" lol
If Byleth thought me anything: getting a character you want in Smash > people you don't care about losing sleep over a children's game

I have no personal attachment to any Falcom game but a lot of people have been raising compelling arguments in their favor and I don't doubt that Sakurai can make an interesting moveset from the stuff I've seen.

I.D.

Smash Lord
If we get a Falcom character I look forward to the new set of mental gymnastics required to maintain the "Only big third parties are allowed" mentality considering the biggest Falcom titles struggle to reach 500K sales across multiple platforms.

We already have notorious industry giants like Bayonetta, Terry and Banjo in the "doesn't count" club.

SKX31

Smash Master
Fortnite in Smash rumors now? Can't say I'd be too hyped for it. Is Fortnite even popular in Japan?
(Thanks for the alert SirBillyBob)

I haven't seen hard data on that front, although there are two conclusions I've drawn from my searches:

1) Fortnite's not the most popular Battle Royale in Japan. The usual competition exists there (PUBG, Apex): PUBG got a lot of attention early, and Apex in particular has a notable Japanese fanbase on PS4... but none of these have taken the title of most popular. That belongs to NetEase's mobile game Knives Out. Its claim as the biggest BR (and one of the biggest mobile games there) is really surprising, however it is solidified - Knives Out vastly outclassed PUBG Mobile there during 2018. It's partly due to Knives Out being the first mobile BR there, but also since NetEase was very direct with supporting the game (as well as their special events being with Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail) - its Switch port via the Japanese eShop did really well.

2) Still, I find it likely that Fortnite's very much known in Japan (and has a decent playerbase), owing to its cross-promotions with MCU and Star Wars as well as Fortnite (AFAIK) still having a Japanese server cluster. I would not say it's huge owing to the above, but it's still present I'd wager.

And I should note: It's difficult to find direct sources on this outside of Youtube videos confirming that a Japanese localization of Fortnite exists.

Sidenote: I wouldn't be surprised if those who dismiss characters as "literal who" and "anime swordman" will overall do poorly vs. said characters because they don't bother to learn how to adapt vs. said characters.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The thing that makes me skeptical about this leak is the whole "talks happened at this date and resulted in x" stuff. Usually, the source of most legit leaks are employees at the lower end of the corporate hierarchy, where they wouldn't be privy to secret, multimillion-dollar deals between the suits of two major companies.

It could be legit, but I think it's more likely this is a Dante situation where an otherwise legit leaker is adding info about Smash for one reason or another.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I'm looking at all of this comments about fortnite, and I will say this; lighten up people. Just because Steve is in, it doesn't mean that this means ANYTHING for new popular games. I mean, really, I hate how people compared Minecraft to the likes of Fortnite for one reason or another. Like what Garteam Garteam is basically saying, it could be misled.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I don't think Fortnite is happening since, to my knowledge, it hasn't been that popular in South East Asia. Specifically Korea. That's Jonesy's biggest disadvantage at the moment.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm looking at all of this comments about fortnite, and I will say this; lighten up people. Just because Steve is in, it doesn't mean that this means ANYTHING for new popular games. I mean, really, I hate how people compared Minecraft to the likes of Fortnite for one reason or another. Like what Garteam Garteam is basically saying, it could be misled.
I agree that the similarities between Minecraft and Fortnite are superficial at best but... weren't people talking about Fortnite because of this tweet?

I don't buy it but I'd say it's something more than just the usual hardcore Smash fan fearmongering.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I agree that the similarities between Minecraft and Fortnite are superficial at best but... weren't people talking about Fortnite because of this tweet?

I don't buy it but I'd say it's something more than just the usual hardcore Smash fan fearmongering.
Even so the fact it was a Zoom call makes me doubt for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom