• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If the final 4 were based on leaks.

Estelle Bright
Jonesy
League of Legends character
Ryu Hayabusa
Didn’t the Falcom leak hint at Rean or Adol though? Estelle wasn’t mentioned

also would have been mostly “this is fine” but Fortnite would leave a bad taste in my mouth

FJA147

Smash Cadet
Sorry I’m late to discussing Fortnite in smash but I would love to Fortnite in smash as a character. I’m in my teens and I enjoy playing the game with friends. If it happened a lot of my friends would be interested in smash because they play the game a lot. It worked with another one of my friends who played Minecraft who is interested in smash because Steve got revealed. If this happened it would lead to more people playing smash and smash might get some attention from bigger streamers such as Ninja, or Tfue because of the reveal of Jonsey in smash. Another thing might be if you didn’t like it you would probably be able to play more players that are worse than you that are new to the game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Assuming Jonesy gets in. Would he end up stirring more salt than Byleth?

Personally doubt it given the amount of Fire Emblem characters we had at that point.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Personally doubt it given the amount of Fire Emblem characters we had at that point.
You underestimate the hate boner most of the Internet has for Fortnite being little more than a “meme game”

unlike Undertale or Minecraft which has lasting appeal, Fortnite seems like a “fad game” that’s mainly popular due to YouTubers and Twitch streamers

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The only person I do not see people getting angry about having a sword is Lloyd and that's only because he has two swords so he's " more unique than the other sword fighters" ignoring the fact that a sword fighter is a sword fighter
It's just like how people hated clones but got pretty excited at the idea of Echo Fighters. A little branding goes a long way.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
My current predictions are (not including any Potential New Characters) in a Top 5:
First Party:
Euden
Isaac
A Pokemon (any Generation)
Bandanna Dee
Rex and Pyra

Third Party:
Ryu Hayabusa
A Character big in South Korea (including LoL and DOF)
Crash (and Coco)
An FFXIV Job
Don-Chan.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
This will get some eyes rolling. Spin this wheel 4 times and see who you get. Those will be the next 4 fighters.
I got:
Kid Cobra, Suguri, Headcrab, Shuichi Saihara, Fly Swatter, Shuichi Saihara, Doc Hudson, Crash Bandicoot
Doc Hudson, Boogerman, Doc Hudson, Tracer, Suguri, Miss Pauling, May, Arle Nadja, Raiden (Metal Gear)
Jonesy, Omochao, Spin again, Guybrush Threepwood, Hifumi Yamada, Sam Gideon, Arle Nadja, Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)
Crash Bandicoot, Madotsuki, Herobrine, Bill Rizer (Contra)

There we go, three Konami characters because the wheel decided to give me characters I don't like,

Adol/Rean
Jonesy
Ryu Hayabusa
This would be one of the worst passes I could imagine.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This will get some eyes rolling. Spin this wheel 4 times and see who you get. Those will be the next 4 fighters.
I got:

Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends With You) - never played the game, and I have no idea what he can do, but I recall his design, at least
Glottis (Grim Fandango) - I've only played a bit of the game, and I don't recall anything about Glottis
Kid Dracula (Castlevania) - haven't played any of the Kid Dracula games, though I know it's part of the Switch collection
Claptrap (Borderlands) - I know who Claptrap is, and now I feel like this wheel is just messing with me

Not a fan of those results, to be honest.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

The 1 thing the internet hates more than Fire Emblem is Children and Teenagers, Which coincidentally are the main demographics of Fortnite. So I'd imagine the air would become salt if a character became playable.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Easily more salt.

Fortnite is in the position that if you're not a fan of it, you are sick of it and blame if for the game's industry's attempts to copy it ruining the [BLANK] series.

Minecraft has had enough time for brainless copies of it to stop being guaranteed money spinners so it exists as it's own thing with it's only clashes in Smash being mostly focused on the fact the same company owns Banjo.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

Adol Christin/Rean Schwarzer
Jonesy
Ryu Hayabusa
Looking at it again. I actually play Fortnite with my nephew. He loves the game (even if the newest season with the ghost resurrection thing has upset him.) I have no horse in his race, but the game has been massively successful (even if I personally disagree with its business practices). So, I am not 100% against him. But I am not that excited for him. I would get more of a kick from the internet reaction to him more then him in general.

Adol would be fine. I played one of the Ys games on Ps2. It was alright. No opinion for against him.

LoL character. I have no experience with any of them. better he a waifu if we do get one.

Ryu. .... Terrible choice.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Assuming the leak is real (Which I don't think it is, just a situation similar to Dante in the base game)
I feel like Fortnite popularizing a very huge genre at the moment and being a massive scene in Esports right now means it does deserve a spot. I don't believe it to be a fad. That said I'm neutral because I don't play Fortnite.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The """Leak""" didn't even say that Fortnite was getting a character, just one of the lead designers was asked about smash and said "No Comment" it will almost certainly be a repeat of the Travis situation.
So either Mii, or even a Spirit Event.

I’d be ok if it was just random PNGs being added myself

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
My current predictions are (not including any Potential New Characters) in a Top 5:
First Party:
Euden
Isaac
A Pokemon (any Generation)
Bandanna Dee
Rex and Pyra

Third Party:
Ryu Hayabusa
A Character big in South Korea (including LoL and DOF)
Crash (and Coco)
An FFXIV Job
Don-Chan.
You had me at Don-chan

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m not even sure it popularized the genre really, PUBG was a huge deal but Epic has the foresight and massive amount of developers to see that Battle Royale HAS to be on consoles. I think PUB made it popular and then Fortnite just gave it to everyone by having it free and by having it on every console KNOWN to man.

SKX31

Smash Master
I got:

Raiden (Metal Gear) - RULES OF NATURE!
Guybrush Threepwood (Monkey Island) - Huh, guess LucasArts pulled off something magical here.
Euden (Dragalia Lost) - Can't spell Euden without EU now :4pacman:
Winston (Overwatch) - Honestly my preferred Overwatch character (with Tracer 2nd), partly since he might have some fun things to say to :ultdk: . (Winston's already been compared to DK by D.Va) and partly since he'd have a unique electrity weapon.

Hey, I'll take this pass. 8 / 10.

More salt.

Fortnite's still very much within the popular conciousness as "The game that's popular because it's popular" and as such still draws heavy ire from those who really don't like the game. It extends to the more casual side too - a lot of (grand)parents are going to have at least a slight clue what Fortnite is, but might not readily approve of that for varying reasons.

At least with the previous title holders (Minecraft and LoL) enough time has passed since their releases and peak within the popular conciousness that feelings towards those games have overall mellowed out some. Some, I should emphasize.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I do want to bring it back to Nihhon-Falcom to change the subject from leaks for the millionth time. Any fans of that company want to give me some good games to check out? Which Ys? I think Disgae is from them? That sort of thing

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
More salt.

Fortnite's still very much within the popular conciousness as "The game that's popular because it's popular" and as such still draws heavy ire from those who really don't like the game. It extends to the more casual side too - a lot of (grand)parents are going to have at least a slight clue what Fortnite is, but might not readily approve of that for varying reasons.

At least with the previous title holders (Minecraft and LoL) enough time has passed since their releases and peak within the popular conciousness that feelings towards those games have overall mellowed out some. Some, I should emphasize.
There's one aggravant compared to Minecraft or LoL, though: both of them are games that either changed a lot of things in the industry or in their respective genre. Minecraft wasn't just a solid survival game, it let the community do whatever the hell they wanted with the game being a sandbox. LoL took a formula that was already shown to work and made it more accessible as well as putting a somewhat bigger emphasis on lore and visuals for the time, which created a large fan community of content creators (animators, cosplayers, you name it).

Compared to that, a huge chunk of Fortnite's claim to fame was pivoting a pre-existing game to fit a genre that was big at the time, but stuffed with memes and pop culture references, as well as being F2P and available on every platform known to man, unlike its main competitor. And I remember seeing a few charts talking about how its popularity has entered a bit of a decline past season 6, so no wonder some people see it as more of a fad than the previous "big games".

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
KOS-MOS I suspect at most will be a Mii costume if she gets in as some form of representation.

As it stands I think Nightmare and Chosen Undead are the current most likely Namco reps if they get one with Agumon and Don-Chan as sleeper/dark horse picks. Starting to believe Lloyd might return as a Mii as well.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Guybrush Threepwood getting in would such a mega power move, Smash added a Disney character and it wasn't Sora

I do want to bring it back to Nihhon-Falcom to change the subject from leaks for the millionth time. Any fans of that company want to give me some good games to check out? Which Ys? I think Disgae is from them? That sort of thing
When it comes to Falcom Ys VIII or Oath in Felghana Is what I would start with for Ys, But My Personal Favorite Falcom game is Trails In The Sky. The Trails Series is what I consider to be one of if not the best JRPG franchises of all time. Disgaea is made by NIS and for that I would start with Disgaea 1.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Disgaea is NIS who localized the last couple of Trails games, so far I only played Ys Chronicles, which are remakes of 1 and 2, and Oath of Felghana, a remake of 3. They're great games but for Chronicles I recommend a guide, especially as 2 has very maze like design and if you don't find the best equipment available, it makes boss fights in 2 feel like they take forever

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
KOS-MOS I suspect at most will be a Mii costume if she gets in as some form of representation.

As it stands I think Nightmare, Chosen Undead, Agumon, and Don-Chan are the current most likely Namco reps if they get one. Starting to believe Lloyd might return as a Mii as well.
Well. As long as she gets some recognition. But why Chosen Undead and Don-chan?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well. As long as she gets some recognition. But why Chosen Undead and Don-chan?
Probably cause they’re both huge characters. Don-Chan is iconic in Japan and Dark Souls is SUPER popular in the West. Kos-Mos doesn’t quite reach either of those heights but even still, with the love that Namco gives Monolithsoft to this day like in Xenoblade 2, I wouldn’t say she’s quite off the table either.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
There's one aggravant compared to Minecraft or LoL, though: both of them are games that either changed a lot of things in the industry or in their respective genre. Minecraft wasn't just a solid survival game, it let the community do whatever the hell they wanted with the game being a sandbox. LoL took a formula that was already shown to work and made it more accessible as well as putting a somewhat bigger emphasis on lore and visuals for the time, which created a large fan community of content creators (animators, cosplayers, you name it).

Compared to that, a huge chunk of Fortnite's claim to fame was pivoting a pre-existing game to fit a genre that was big at the time, but stuffed with memes and pop culture references, as well as being F2P and available on every platform known to man, unlike its main competitor. And I remember seeing a few charts talking about how its popularity has entered a bit of a decline past season 6, so no wonder some people see it as more of a fad than the previous "big games".
TBF to Fortnite, it's also done quite a lot to pivot itself as a social game first and foremost. While I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it has entered something of a decline, I'd argue that it has the chance to stay long term. But we'll have to see really.

As it stands I think Nightmare and Chosen Undead are the current most likely Namco reps if they get one with Agumon and Don-Chan as sleeper/dark horse picks. Starting to believe Lloyd might return as a Mii as well.
I'd accept a Mii Costume, especially if it's a Mii Brawler so I can claim KOS-MOS is top tier ( :p ):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom