• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Wasn't Yokai Watch championed as a Pokemon challenger at one point? What happened to that?
With the west it just didn't catch on, it didn't have the appeal to be able to break into the sphere and wasn't able to find a large market. In Japan, it definitely gave Pokemon a run for its money at the time (even influencing Pokemon in some respects such as the Rotom feature in SM) it fell off due to multiple reasons. Of them, it was oversaturated within a short time period so eventually the supply greatly succeeded the demand, the kids moved on as it wasn't able to maintain the audience it gained, and the attempts to get back the audience such as with the more mature focused Yokai weren't successful. Basically, it imploded on itself and is now nowhere near the heights that it once was.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
With the west it just didn't catch on, it didn't have the appeal to be able to break into the sphere and wasn't able to find a large market. In Japan, it definitely gave Pokemon a run for its money at the time (even influencing Pokemon in some respects such as the Rotom feature in SM) it fell off due to multiple reasons. Of them, it was oversaturated within a short time period so eventually the supply greatly succeeded the demand, the kids moved on as it wasn't able to maintain the audience it gained, and the attempts to get back the audience such as with the more mature focused Yokai weren't successful. Basically, it imploded on itself and is now nowhere near the heights that it once was.
Man, I actually liked Yo-kai Watch Shadowside...

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Unpopular Smash opinions?
I like Byleth.
People who like Byleth are no longer part of the Smash community and should go to Smash Jail as the first law in the Smash Community is "Fire Emblem bad".:4pacman:
(If people couldn't tell that's a joke, I got disappointed at Byleth but I certainly wasn't raging at my screen at it)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
People who like Byleth are no longer part of the Smash community and should go to Smash Jail as the first law in the Smash Community is "Fire Emblem bad".:4pacman:
Being in this thread makes me think that law is "Fire Emblem is the only series in all of gaming to deserve multiple reps, and it should be over half the roster, because **** you."

One thing I'd really like to see in the DLC is a character who operates similarly to Millia in Guilty Gear: someone who has a projectile, but it mainly serves as a way to allow the character to get close and apply pressure. There are a lot of fighting game characters with that kind of idea, but it isn't very prevalent in Smash. The closest I can come up with is Ness, but he's not really a rushdown type character. I'm guessing the devs are avoiding moves that are super oppressive on their own, and that's why we don't have much of that kind of move, but it would be really neat imo.

Some characters I can think of that can fit this idea:

Millia (Guilty Gear). obviously
Vergil (DMC). summon swords
Linne (Undernight). she has a sword beam similar to Cloud's but it goes diagonal down like PK Fire.
Zagreus (Hades) if they went a very specific direction with him

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I wouldn't be so sure. They seem to prefer buying Western studios these days.
Speaking of which, I heard a rumor somewhere that they'd be pulling out of Japan if PS5 doesn't find stable footing over there. Your mileage may vary on that front, but it'd be a sigh of relief for studios pressured by their mounting policies against anime-style games.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Post your opinion that will get this kind of reaction from Smash community!

"Japan" argument should be dropped altogether. It's not that important market. Several popular western franchises can more do than make up for Japanese market.
-The Rex Argument is Really Misconstrued. Sakurai technically never said Rex would have been in if there was more time for Characters. He just said His gaming being too late was why he Couldn't be considered for Base roster (along with ARMS). We don't know if Rex will and/or Would have passed the Consideration Cycle like ARMS (Min-Min) did.

-Shadow would be a More interesting Character that Crash Bandicoot moveset wise. He'd also be Cooler than Tails and Knuckles in terms of Moveset as well, especially from a Conceptual Standpoint

-Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid, and Maybe Bomberman should be Upgraded before Waluigi. I don't have a Problem with Waluigi though

-Sora's SSF2 Moveset is kinda bland, not because he isn't cool, but because he's only using the Most Basic kit from Kingdom Hearts. There' way more interesting Abilities from Kingdom Hearts to take from than what's actually present in SSF2

-Geno Is Iconic...for being Wanted for Smash. He has gotten a Whole Legacy despite not making any real appearances in over 20 years, With mostly no Acknowledgement from Square and Nintendo, and I bet he's been a Reason people try out SMRPG (that's why I tried it).

-Adding Non-Video game Origin characters is Celebrating Video Game history. DBZ, Spider Man, TMNT, Batman, Star Wars, etc have had Games that have shaped Gaming history, Especially Batman with Arkham Asylum.

-I Like How Little Mac is Designed, but I do think he should be buffed though

-LaxChris Was Amazing for the Time of Base roster Speculation and I miss his Fake Leak videos. Blocked Content is not the Same at all

-Shantae seems like Cooler Dixie Kong in terms of Moveset

-Free to Play Smash Bros would be a Good Idea in the Future

-I enjoy Fatmanonice's Speculation, even If it's Very Crazy alot of the time and I don't believe it

CureParfait

Smash Ace

"Japan" argument should be dropped altogether. It's not that important market. Several popular western franchises can more do than make up for Japanese market.
A character being an AT/Pokeball doesn't really disqualify them from being DLC since Nintendo/Sakurai could add a character who is already a Pokeball/AT to DLC if they wanted to.

7NATOR

Smash Master
My unpopular opinion? I don't think Ultimate is the best Smash game, and in fact I'm looking forward to Smash 6 more than I am to Ultimate's DLC.
I honestly agree in some Aspects. I Like it's roster and Gameplay more, but Other Smash games like Smash 3ds and Brawl Especially had Better Single Player, Better Voice Acting, Better Final Smashes, etc

Smash 4 had Customs

Previous Smash games also added more to the table in New content. If you take away DLC, alot of the Content of Ultimate is Re-hashed, whether it's the veterans or all the Returning Stages and stuff like that. Now that isn't a bad thing, in Ultimate's case...

But I Am Looking forward to Smash 6, even if they do Cut the Roster. I curious what New Stuff they will add to the Game. I Also say this as someone who Mains Little Mac and Cloud, who are at risk of Not Returning

SKX31

Smash Master
Of the 3 Links, Toon Link is the one with the best moveset design. The other two are more cobbled together and rely on heavily tweaking numbers to make their moveset work well. If we got all the Links back in a future game, Toon Link is the one who should stay the same and the other two should change.
Respect your opinion fully, even if I'm taking the opposite opinion (to expand on why I think Toon Link should be reworked): Toon Link could be made more distinct by using WW / ST / PH items. while Young Link could utilize the masks and not - just - be combo-Link in a future game. Maybe it's just me who finds Toon Link to be at an awkward middle ground between the "Next level mindgames with Remote Bombs" Link and "Combo with Fire Arrows" Young Link, but Toon Link has a lot of potential that's currently unused.

(Although a lot of Links online just spam projectiles, which is a shame even if it gets results online.)

We're posting unpopular Smash opinions?

We won't get a Gen 8 Pokemon as DLC.
Corrin is better than Byleth.
We likely won't get a Gen 8 'mon no (I don't count any particular character as particularily likely though, so there's that) and I fully understand the second opinion. Byleth to me feels a little too pidgeon-holed, but that's just me.

Psycho Solider is not amazing.
Eh, can kinda agree, although I think it's amazing. Tarkun and Kitapy FTW though.

Brawl was better than Melee and Smash 4.
Fox is overrated.
Snaps, which sounds exactly like :foxmelee: 's Shine

HAH TAY TORYA!

MISHUN CUMPLEET.

:4pacman:

Nah, seriously, those are valid opinions to have - I assume you much rather prefer something else over pushing the gameplay further (and TBH, Brawl has the best Adventure mode to date as well as excellent production values, I don't hate it at all). You do you.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Here's some other gems for y'all

Cinematic final smashes are the best type of final smash. I feel like they show off characters' flair and personality a whole lot more.

Gangplank Galleon isn't anything to write home about

I enjoyed Smash Tour.

Cinderace would be a pretty cool addition

I like playing with items on

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Alright, one more opinion: This thread is trying too hard to NOT accept the fact that ARMS was in a similar situation to Rex/XC2. He may not be a lock, but he's far from guaranteed to be excluded just because you prefer Elma or third-parties.

...I have also said that plenty of times.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman

-I'd rather have DK Jr. Cranky Kong or Funky Kong than Dixie Kong

-While giving Sonic a Boost is cool and all I don't really want Sonic to have Wonderwing with a different coat of paint, it sounds kind of annoying.

-I don't really like Crash, I mean he might have a cool moveset or something I just don't like him as a character.

-Gooey > Your most wanted Kirby rep. I don't make the rules I just follow them. :4pacman:

-Most "Prediction Lists" are pretty boring tbh. most of them are just the same characters and then we get none of them.

I doubt any of these are too unpopular honestly but oh well.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really sure how to describe them, but their a lot more focused on tricking the player in a "gotcha!" type fashion and not really in a clever way, (at least a lot more than usual), a lot of the puzzles are also very easy and repetitive with a number of them having similar answers.

I think looking up a review will give more insight on the puzzles from the game, but you can very quickly tell that the puzzles weren't designed by the same guy who did the puzzles for the original series.
I'll do it. Thanks

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Unpopular opinion trend:

Everyone likes to spitball characters getting revamps in every hypothetical next Smash game when there's only one character that needs a revamp. :ultganondorf:
Some characters :ultsamus: could use one or two tweaks, but other than that, everyone is fine as they are.

Having a gimmicky moveset alone isn't appealing, and there needs to be simpler characters to counterbalance the absurdity. What's the base to go off of to judge how out there a moveset is if everyone is gimmicky? Mario doesn't need some wacky powerup shuffling moveset, Kirby doesn't need to reference every single copy ability ever, Link didn't need to be changed please give me back my old Link, not even Sonic needs more than just a new side special.

TL/DR if you want moveset revamps so everyone is super wacky Smash 4 levels of gimmicky:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Sora would get more money for SE then Geno would

If Japan were to pick any tales character yo be in smash, it would be Yuri

Male Byleth has the best alts

It's better to want characters that nobody else wants because you would be thinking on your own and not being a sheep just because the character is relevant

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Unpopular opinions, huh.

• If I could swap nearly half the FE roster for a FE Boss and/or another game-specific FE stage that isn't just a generic reference, I would.
  • I'd do a similar thing with Zelda, except... the other way around.
  • Speaking of bosses, I think Brawl used them way better than Ultimate.
  • And not being able to freely rematch Boss Spirits is a HUGE missed opportunity.
  • I'll never get why people think upgrading ATs is "a waste" when quite a few of them are fan-favorites and would definitely come with good content.
  • I'm fine if Targets/Platforms never come back - just give us tools a la SMM so we can make our own and we're golden.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Wouldn't it be a tourney that somehow ties in with Steve?

That seems to be the norm when a character drops
Could also have nothing this week. That has happened before when Byleth dropped there was no event that week.

One thing that will matter is the number of the tourney. If it was one of the skipped numbers, then we know for sure it was held back.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'll never get why people think upgrading ATs is "a waste" when quite a few of them are fan-favorites and would definitely come with good content.
They think the fighter would literally just be the AT without an improved model/expanded moveset, and think a pass that started with Min Min is 100% guaranteed to have a bunch of Clouds.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I am once again bringing up Adol Christin because Ys music has me hooked.
Exhibit A:
I hear your adol and raise to Atelier (Even if its pretty much disconfirmed at this point)

Unpopular opinion trend:

Everyone likes to spitball characters getting revamps in every hypothetical next Smash game when there's only one character that needs a revamp. :ultganondorf:
Some characters :ultsamus: could use one or two tweaks, but other than that, everyone is fine as they are.

Having a gimmicky moveset alone isn't appealing, and there needs to be simpler characters to counterbalance the absurdity. What's the base to go off of to judge how out there a moveset is if everyone is gimmicky? Mario doesn't need some wacky powerup shuffling moveset, Kirby doesn't need to reference every single copy ability ever, Link didn't need to be changed please give me back my old Link, not even Sonic needs more than just a new side special.

TL/DR if you want moveset revamps so everyone is super wacky Smash 4 levels of gimmicky:
After playing simon, megaman, steve and min min... i just want some chaqnges to samus to feel a little more like... you know... metroid.

Also.. young link and botw link are ok... but i dont think noone would die if toon link gets some more unique stuff from wind waker.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
After playing simon, megaman, steve and min min... i just want some chaqnges to samus to feel a little more like... you know... metroid.

Also.. young link and botw link are ok... but i dont think noone would die if toon link gets some more unique stuff from wind waker.
Yeah, Samus feels pretty outdated now. We don't need to go overboard with gimmicks, just give her some more projectile normals like Mega Man and the Gunners. Maybe we could give her a mobile jab as well, but that's not absolutely necessary.

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
I don't try to make my opinions "unpopular", I'm just right most of the time
-LOZ doesn't need any more characters. Ganondorf, Zelda, Link and Toon Link are perfect as is, just change their movesets and the series is set.
-Jigglypuff trumps Min Min, Corrin and Byleth as the worst addition to any Smash game
-Twisting every newcomer's addition to destroy some "fan rule" like Banjo proving irrelevancy doesn't matter, or Min Min proving that being a protagonist doesn't matter, makes every reveal bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom