• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Maybe the Reason we only got SF2 Music is because perhaps there was discussion of Another Street Fighter character as DLC, Like Chun-Li, and Perhaps if Chosen would have come with like 3rd stirke Music or something

That or because Sakurai just really wanted to Focus on SF2, considering that's the game ever i guess

cosmicB

Smash Ace

Post your opinion that will get this kind of reaction from Smash community!

"Japan" argument should be dropped altogether. It's not that important market. Several popular western franchises can more do than make up for Japanese market.
The crossover should be expanded as far as possible within the confines of gaming. Smash should be straight up MUGEN. All further characters shouldn't just be from unrepresented series, but unrepresented companies as well, and not only as far as fighters go but right down to the most irrelevant spirit (so no Ubisoft rep because we have costumes and spirits). This would outright kill the vast majority of highly speculated characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Does anyone here feel like the Belmont bois are some of the most underrated Ultimate newcomers? Everyone is always talking about Isabelle, Joker, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, ect but I barely feel like anyone praises or gives constant attention to the Belmont bois. They're so fun to play and are seriously some of Ultimate's best newcomers.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The crossover should be expanded as far as possible within the confines of gaming. Smash should be straight up MUGEN. All further characters shouldn't just be from unrepresented series, but unrepresented companies as well, and not only as far as fighters go but right down to the most irrelevant spirit (so no Ubisoft rep because we have costumes and spirits). This would outright kill the vast majority of highly speculated characters.
If it's MUGEN that means already repped series get plenty of new characters as well. Do you want Hyper God Angel Violent Dark Robo-Luigi?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Does anyone here feel like the Belmont bois are some of the most underrated Ultimate newcomers? Everyone is always talking about Isabelle, Joker, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, ect but I barely feel like anyone praises or gives constant attention to the Belmont bois. They're so fun to play and are seriously some of Ultimate's best newcomers.
Ngl I kinda forget they're even in the game lol

They kinda underwhelmed me after being pretty hyped for em at first

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'd say Sakurai isn't completely unpredictable, just very difficult to predict. There are a multitude of reasons why characters get in that help us make educated guesses. But, there are many, many characters that would make sense to be added, and only four more slots. And even then, we get characters such as Terry that flew under our radar from time to time.
I missed this one before, but this take resonates with me also. Assuming of course by Sakurai we also mean Nintendo.

Before every reveal now I see people saying we'll get someone who "nobody has even talked about before" and stuff like that, when in reality I think we're well informed enough to have at least considered most of the viable candidates at this point. Sure, plenty of characters dip below the radar more than they should, but after the likes of Joker and Terry I feel like the community has brought up a variety of characters that we wouldn't have thought of before. We've practically reached the very edge of what's even technically possible when suggesting characters like Master Chief or 2B.

This isn't to say we won't all be totally surprised by a couple of newcomers in this pass, because no doubt we will. Just that I think our horizons have expanded enough where we can't really have another Joker or Terry in quite the same way anymore.

Of course you still have some people who are gonna talk about the same 5-10 characters forever, but that can't be helped.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know rating wise it would be tricky, but we have Capcom and SNK characters and somehow didn't get "This is True Love We're Makin"?
You're talking about Ryu, Ken, and Terry? Yeah, they're underrated too. But still, Castlevania brought a unique newcomer, a Echo newcomer, a stage, a boss fight, and over 35 tracks. Though that doesn't make the Belmont bois better fighters, but still it's a plus for what their franchise brought to the table. Of course, Terry brought over 50 tracks but no boss fight or Echo Fighter. Terry is very underrated too.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Castlevania is ****ing amazing and I popped off so ****ing hard when Richter was revealed because he's my favorite Belmont and I never expected him to get in over Simon so having both of them was a dream come true for me.

SKX31

Smash Master
Trophies were nice, and I wasn't initially upset by the Spirits, but what really made me sad were the descriptions being taken away. There's no point of really obtaining them if there's no historical excerpt like the past Smash games, these are just .png's. Trophies without the excerpts are worthless as well IMO.
Doesn't help, IMO, that it's really difficult to set up a Spirit multiplayer battle, and the Spirits are obviously imbalanced to the point where it's difficult to have casual matches with Spirits (unless everyone has the same Spirit setup, but... yeah).

They're pretty all right in my book - especially if played as more than just "Projectile Spam the character" (which is infuriating online) and actually engage with them. They do have crazy stuff they can do too, which is a + for me personally. The series is repped really well and everything, which is a nice bonus.

The thing is, they've been routinely overshadowed once DLC started.

If it's MUGEN that means already repped series get plenty of new characters as well. Do you want Hyper God Angel Violent Dark Robo-Luigi?
Yes.

Luigi already has Zero-to-Death combos. Hyper God Angel Violent Dark Robo-Luigi would just do 999 % with his. But the results are still the same. :4dedede:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
honestly even after we got all these other shiny new third-parties during dlc, i still occasionally have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that CASTLE-****in'-VANIA is in this thing

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
honestly even after we got all these other shiny new third-parties during dlc, i still occasionally have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that CASTLE-****in'-VANIA is in this thing
I was surprised Castlevania went so long without being in Smash honestly. It's well deserved to be in the roster in my opinion because of how iconic and influential it is.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I may not hype over them in Smash anymore, but they were what got me into Castlevania itself. The impact is definitely there.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Blue Pinocchio.
This is a unpopular opinion, but I agree. It's do or die time for Geno and if he doesn't make it into Ultimate I feel like it's game over for him. SMRPG is already 24 years old, by the next Smash it will almost be 35. It's now or never, bust or must.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
What Characters do you Think are Very Likely for Smash 6, if they are not DLC
So:

Geno (Retro 1st / 3rd party)
Dixie / Cranky
Rex / XBC3's protagonist
Waluigi
Ring Fit Adventurer
Ryu Hayabusa / Kunio / Rash (Retro 3rd party)
Mach Rider or any other Retro 1st party
Akira Howard
Impa / new Zelda character
A couple new series' protagonists.

(Aaaaand Gen 9 or even Gen 10 Pokemon is free space. That's given.)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So:

Dixie / Cranky
Rex / XBC3's protagonist
Waluigi
Ring Fit Adventurer
Akira Howard

I’d add Bandana Dee and maybe Black Shadow if a new F-Zero happens by Smash 6

also Octoling if they’re not in Ult, and Isaac if a new GS happens/his AT doesn’t return in 6

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
- As a hardcore fan of Kirby, the classic vs modern stuff is so heavily overblown. There's plenty of room for improvement (a stage, an AT...), but it makes sense that Kirby Super Star of all games has the most representation - it was the most pivotal game in the series and literally set the foundation for Smash as we know it. And as for ignoring modern characters on the roster, Kirby / Dedede / Meta Knight are still the most important characters in the modern games. Not to say there aren't plenty of Kirby characters who would make downright fantastic additions to the roster... but we're alright. There are plenty of series worse off than Kirby.
I disagree on this one, at least partially.
Super Star has heavy influence on the modern games and Smash, but by making it the basis of everything Kirby has to offer, it ignores a couple of games that used Adventure as a branch-off point, namely the Dark Matter trilogy. Those games technically also don't have it good and that sucks because there's a few things they could pull from there. It isn't exclusively a Smash problem, even if that's where it's the worst.
As for characters, I actually would agree on the importance of the three we have... but the stage and AT choices are questionable enough to the point where I don't think having the three characters completely mitigates the issue. I'd trade none of them in due to their aforementioned importance, but even a small addition might help Kirby feel like he's not stuck in a skewed retrospective.
Kirby definitely isn't the worst off, not even close to PAC-MAN, Wario, or Final Fantasy levels of bad, but for the context of what his franchise is, it becomes more noticeable.

D

Deleted member

Not sure if these opinions of mine are "unpopular", but here they are:

-I agree that Assist Trophies are a great way to represent characters that couldn’t be made playable for a number of reasons. However, that shouldn’t stop them from potentially being given a second chance at playability with DLC.

-No, Any number of Spirits and Assist Trophies upgrades won’t make the idea of the two "pointless/not matter" as there will still be 50+ Assist and over 1000+ Spirits that won’t be upgraded and will still be the only forms of representation for those characters.

-There are still first party characters that are worth adding into the game. we might be getting close to the "bottom of the barrel", but we’re not there yet.

-"Expanding the crossover" shouldn’t be all there is for DLC, a fan favourite character from an already represented series or two isn’t going to hurt us or Nintendo.

This took way longer then it should’ve......

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So:

Dixie / Cranky
Rex / XBC3's protagonist
Waluigi
Ring Fit Adventurer
Akira Howard

Another unpopular opinion I have here, but if Rex doesn't make it into Ultimate, I don't feel like he will make it into Smash 6 unless he appears in future Xenoblade games. I feel like Rex will be outdated per say by then, and they will put in the protagonist of the latest Xenoblade game in instead.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I disagree on this one, at least partially.
Super Star has heavy influence on the modern games and Smash, but by making it the basis of everything Kirby has to offer, it ignores a couple of games that used Adventure as a branch-off point, namely the Dark Matter trilogy. Those games technically also don't have it good and that sucks because there's a few things they could pull from there. It isn't exclusively a Smash problem, even if that's where it's the worst.
As for characters, I actually would agree on the importance of the three we have... but the stage and AT choices are questionable enough to the point where I don't think having the three characters completely mitigates the issue. I'd trade none of them in due to their aforementioned importance, but even a small addition might help Kirby feel like he's not stuck in a skewed retrospective.
Kirby definitely isn't the worst off, not even close to PAC-MAN, Wario, or Final Fantasy levels of bad, but for the context of what his franchise is, it becomes more noticeable.
My biggest issue is that it really doesn't feel representative of the interesting experimentation and evolution Kirby's done in the past 20 years. Power combinations in various games (including Crystal Shards), Hypernova in Triple Deluxe, the suit in Robobot; there's some really fascinating stuff that's untouched because the series feels stuck in time on Smash in so many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom