• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Why did they decide to try to Make Layton's Daughter the New Protag Anyway? was Layton just getting old or something? also besides that, why was the game Mediocre?
That think they made her the protag because after Azran Legacy, which was the final Layton game, they decided to move on and they made her. I think before her game there was a mobile game based around Layton son, Alfendi, where he was a murder Detective for Scotland Yard. TBH Alfendi is better than his sister because he has two personalities in both personalities are great. And from what I heard the puzzles in that game weren't really all that good plus it was the fact that it was just a story of her trying to find Layton

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean... some companies, most notably Nintendo, used to do that before Level-5 tried to be a big boy and publish their games in the West themselves, so I can see it go either way.
I could see them going either way too. Thing is, IMHO Nintendo's over-reliant on / carried by the internal dev studios. So my thinking is that they could shore up the Switch's library further and secure a third party again by helping Level 5 publish outside of Japan.

The fighter would be a FIFA character.

But then, a year later, we’d get a newcomer trailer with the exact same FIFA character!
[Video Title: OMG! SAKURAI PRESENTS NEW MESSI CARD IN SMASH!]

"What's up guys, it's [FIFA Youtuber] here, here with some news regarding Messi in Smash. EA just updated Messi and changed him into:

FIFA Ultimate Team 22 In Form Team of the Season UEFA Champions League Winner Award Winner Flashback Messi.

He costs just 1 Million FUT coins, or $5,99 if you buy him in the Smash store. And would you just look at his stats. 99 Overall - 97 Pace, 98 Dribbling, 99 Shot. Beautiful. He's also got 5 Star Skill Moves - of course - and 5 Star Weak Foot, letting him score some bangers. Lets look into the Sakurai Presents.

Ooooh, Sakurai's showing off using :ultkirby: as the football. Cheeky *******."

:4pacman:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Why did they decide to try to Make Layton's Daughter the New Protag Anyway? was Layton just getting old or something? also besides that, why was the game Mediocre?
Level-5 wasn't sure how to follow up his latest game, Azran Legacy, on from there, since in terms of story it was, very ambitious to say the least. It involved him saving the world from some evil organization and some ancient civilization. So having him go from that, back to looking for a cat in a small village didn't feel quite right to L5...

So they thought a fresh new face was in order, and they went with a daughter because they saw that a large number of Layton's audience where females, so they went with a female detective this time.

In terms of the game itself, it was very unfocused and prioritized more slice of life, esque episodic mysteries over a more large scale plot with a larger emphasis on comedy than the original series.
The puzzles where also very different from what they used to be, in large part due to the original puzzle master having passed away, and the way the puzzles are handled in this game due to this is very apparent.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So they thought a fresh new face was in order, and they went with a daughter because they saw that a large number of Layton's audience where females, so they went with a female detective this time.
you would think level 5 would see that since Professor Layton's audience was more female-oriented they would think "Oh, how about Murder detective Alfendi?" Because , damn it, hes great because, and as a chick, I feel Al would of brought in a Lot more girls then Kat

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Thinking about how they edited every stage so Steven M. Craft could do his thing and I came to one conclusion.

Do it, Sakurai.
While I don't know if Chell herself from Portal would be a character, I think there is another Character that could use the Portal Concept that could get into Smash. The Smash fanbase won't like it though, but if the timeline is lining up, and what some things said are actually have merit, then it might be a thing...

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I stole this prompt from Twitter

What pose might your most wanted be in and where might they be? on the smash banner

Estelle: She might be standing by Chrom and Robin with her staff and holding out a peace sign maybe there might be a shining pom next to her
Saber: Standing By Marth and Roy holding Excalibur
Sakura: She might be behind Terry getting out of her Koubu
Darkrai: I imagine him standing next to Mewtwo having his back turned and seemingly looking at Mewtwo.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
The puzzles where also very different from what they used to be, in large part due to the original puzzle master having passed away, and the way the puzzles are handled in this game due to this is very apparent.
I haven't played the game yet. What do you mean with "very different"?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I was thinking about how Sakurai put Minecraft in Smash and what kind of series could have crazy weird playstyles simply by putting their game in Smash, and it hit me.

Imagine Octodad's control scheme in Smash Bros.
I've always thought if a Dynasty Warriors character got into smash instead of having normal specials the B button could function like the Heavy attack from most Dynasty Warriors games, So you could then chain together A and B button inputs together to pull off special moves.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If Vol. 2 really is the last DLC, then what’ll happen to those last 4 dummy slots?

I’d want to use them for 4 more fighters in a Smash Ultimate Deluxe Edition with all the DLC on the cartridge.
I don't think that an Ultimate Deluxe will ever happen.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I haven't played the game yet. What do you mean with "very different"?
I'm not really sure how to describe them, but their a lot more focused on tricking the player in a "gotcha!" type fashion and not really in a clever way, (at least a lot more than usual), a lot of the puzzles are also very easy and repetitive with a number of them having similar answers.

I think looking up a review will give more insight on the puzzles from the game, but you can very quickly tell that the puzzles weren't designed by the same guy who did the puzzles for the original series.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This might be wild speculation but I think its likely that the next Nintendo console might be backwards compatible thus the current version of Smash Ultimate essentially could live on, with maybe a few miscellaneous bonuses for playing on the equivalent of the Switch 2. No re-negotiations needed and it gives Nintendo and company more time to decide/develop the next entry.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Post your opinion that will get this kind of reaction from Smash community!

"Japan" argument should be dropped altogether. It's not that important market. Several popular western franchises can more do than make up for Japanese market.
Assist Trophies can be promoted, but they're still unlikely because there just aren't many of them that could feasibly see an upgrade. Out of them, the ones who could support their own DLC are, in no specific order:
  • Isaac
  • Yuri
  • Akira
  • Bomberman
  • Shovel Knight
  • Spring Man
  • Waluigi
  • Shadow
  • Dillon
Out of them all, Akira and Bomberman have been skinned to make Mii Costumes, Spring Man was passed over in favor of Min Min because Yabuki was in the mood for ramen noodles, and Waluigi and Shadow might not have enough content to bring with them. That leaves Isaac, Yuri, Dillon, and Shovel Knight, with the latter being the only one not stuck in varying levels of inactivity, and the middle two are lacking in fan support and haven't seen a new release on the Switch. Decidedly not a good position.

There you go. Now I've argued against both sides. You're welcome.

On a side note, now that we have them up, let's discuss Yuri and/or Dillon, because why not. Or not, because we rarely ever discuss new people.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

"Japan" argument should be dropped altogether. It's not that important market. Several popular western franchises can more do than make up for Japanese market.
The only way Steve has raised the bar is "Character must be able to be unique enough to warrant almost a year of dev time", not "Ten million fans? Meh. Too obscure."

SKX31

Smash Master
That's a terrible idea.
Much as I like this game, I'd rather not be stuck with it forever.
It's really down to what one prioritizes "Should a game be patched / evolved continously for a long time" or "Should a game get a new iteration instead"?

Now I don't think it's a bad idea at all, but I'm admittedly colored by my past as a Dota player and very much used to the live service formula when it's successfully applied. I'd argue that with enough patches / changes it's essentially a new game: Modern LoL / Dota 2 are not the games they were at release, nor are games like Counter-Strike the game it was 20 years ago (oh boy, loads of changes there). And they're still widely played. Hell, Melee's widely played even without patches.

But on the other hand, a new iteration can certainly feel much fresher, especially if there's enough meat on the bones. I do understand that,

This might be wild speculation but I think its likely that the next Nintendo console might be backwards compatible thus the current version of Smash Ultimate essentially could live on, with maybe a few miscellaneous bonuses for playing on the equivalent of the Switch 2. No re-negotiations needed and it gives Nintendo and company more time to decide/develop the next entry.
That sounds plausible, especially now when Nintendo operate on one console instead of two. That alone cuts into their revenue stream, since now they don't have a "fall-back" console (and I'm not sure they'll do a pure handheld console - intentionally discounting the Switch Lite for the sake of argument), so backwards compatability and just rereleasing Ultimate might be a good way to buy time. Especially if they implement better online / rollback on the successor console's version.

Last edited:

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
That's a terrible idea.
Much as I like this game, I'd rather not be stuck with it forever.
Yeah. It's best for Smash to innovate. Sure, the roster may be smaller, but the gameplay innovations may be more to make up for it. Smash might even go full 3D.
Well it's not like this game can be updated even in its gameplay Sakurai can implement new stuff and update the game also this idea is not originally mine it's after watching a video on the future of Smash Bros made by Maximillian Dood that he suggested to have this game being here forever.

And he argued that the game can evolve and be updated. He made some good point and even in a money making point no other game will surpass this one.

As a time passed his idea grown on me.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Promoting Assist Trophies as DLC in the same game as being Assist Trophies is a terrible idea, because you’re basically paying $6 for an upgraded version of a character that was already programmed for an NPC role.

Spirits aren’t in the same boat because, at the end of the day, they’re only PNGs with gameplay effects.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Spirits still dis-confirm. Min Min was only an exception.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Promoting Assist Trophies as DLC in the same game as being Assist Trophies is a terrible idea, because you’re basically paying $6 for an upgraded version of a character that was already programmed for an NPC role.

Spirits aren’t in the same boat because, at the end of the day, they’re only PNGs with gameplay effects.
That $6 dollars also gives you a new moveset, a new stage, new Spirit Battles, and new songs that are almost invariably bangers (Unless the composer is Sugiyama, in which you're stuck with the cruddy midis)

Yeah... I don't really see it.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Concerns over secondary or tertiary content stopping a potential DLC character are largely unfounded. Nintendo knows the characters are the main draws of the DLC, not the stages, music, or spirits. Nintendo's not going to turn down Steve because (base game) Minecraft's music isn't suited to Smash or turn down Bandana Waddle Dee/Dixie Kong because their spirit board wouldn't be as thematically consistent as previous packs.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Nobody is a lock, unless of course they’re leaked like ESRB, Ken, Hero, or Steve (10 mins before the presentation for him).

also, Sakurai deciding to go back and add and ARMS playable character after Spring Man was made an AT in Base, does NOT guarantee Rex or an XC2 character. Yabuki was just in the mood for noodles if you know what I mean wow that sounded less dirty in my head. I wouldn’t say a Gen 8 is as guaranteed as people think they are either.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster

For me sorta the reverse. I think it would be nice to have some niche picks that can appeal to the Japanese audience in the game like Reimu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom