• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Here's the top 12 from that website someone posted a few days ago.
View attachment 289038
Heavy is leading, and not by a small margin. Between that and the "biggest Smash poll ever!!!1!" from awhile ago, I wonder if there's a silent massive TF2 for Smash fanbase. Or bots. that too.
Considering TF2 is still going through a bot crisis half a year after it began, I’m willing to bet that’s where all those votes are coming from.

And I say this as someone who genuinely wants Heavy in the game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
View attachment 289038
Heavy is leading, and not by a small margin. Between that and the "biggest Smash poll ever!!!1!" from awhile ago, I wonder if there's a silent massive TF2 for Smash fanbase. Or bots. that too.
As one of Reimu's most constant supporters on this site, I call bull. There is no way Reimu is more popular than Dante, Master Chief, and Sora.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't trust polls ever since they suggested Goku was a viable candidates
I do. Because those polls are simply who are most popular among a specific set of people. It doesn't matter if "viable" is a thing. That won't change opinions.

I like Global Smash Roster as it's at least more honest or tries to be. It's a simple popularity contest among video game characters or those known mainly for those. Odd thing is that there's debate if those who are effectively a video game character outside of their origin(like Geralt) are viable or not to the point that it's a pretty constant want. Besides, the general fanbase doesn't care about "viable". It's purely a popularity thing. This doesn't reflect the Smash ballot nor was it meant to.

It's just a fun thing. It shouldn't matter who is most popular anyway. People like 'em. Has no bearing on who'll get on DLC and never was meant to be.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Y'all are kinda forgetting Reddit exists, aren't you?

That poll is getting tossed around to their respective reddit boards, of course people are gonna spam stuff like Heavy when it's literally one of the most upvoted posts on there right now.
It's also worth noting this site isn't a "vote for one". You can upvote literally as many as you want(but only one vote in general per character). I've voted well over 30 characters by now. That's all it is. A silly website.

The way it's designed I also doubt it can be botted here. It's actually just clicking on a specific little part of the picture, not writing in constant names. There's some quality control of making a character, as you have to add a proper description and image(preferably a proper PNG). Albeit, it's not high quality control.

I can absolutely imagine tons of people spammed votes via advertising it on other websites, though. Like you said, Reddit. But I don't think you can bot a captcha either, which it's effectively that, so... spammers yes. Bots, no. I can also believe people used multiple accounts for some characters. However, I doubt it'd be ones like Reimu, as Touhou is actually a damn popular series. Same with Heavy. The more this spreads around, the more easy votes and change-ups we'll see.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Wasn't there, like, a poll a couple months ago or so that had Heavy way in the lead, and it was found out that the same thing happened? The Heavy for Smash Reddit people and bots upvoted Heavy a ton. I bet the same thing happened here. Makes me hope that, if there's ever another Smash ballot, they put good security measures in place so this can't happen. Though at least if it did, I don't think there are too many who would be unhappy with Heavy and Reimu. I know I like both!

Shroob

Sup?
Wasn't there, like, a poll a couple months ago or so that had Heavy way in the lead, and it was found out that the same thing happened? The Heavy for Smash Reddit people and bots upvoted Heavy a ton. I bet the same thing happened here. Makes me hope that, if there's ever another Smash ballot, they put good security measures in place so this can't happen. Though at least if it did, I don't think there are too many who would be unhappy with Heavy and Reimu. I know I like both!
I doubt it's bots lol. The TF2 reddit is just still ****ing huge, and Smash stuff always makes front page.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The poll creators actually researched it and found zero evidence of bots. Alt accounts are possible, though.

TF2 in general, including the Reddit, is super massive. Just like the Touhou fanbase is(mainly in Japan).

It's just a big fanbase, that's all.

Shroob

Sup?
Also, the sad reality:

TF2 fans are just desperate for love from VALVe rn. They hope that getting TF2 as much exposure as possible will get VALVe to focus efforts on them again... especially since hackers and bots have been super rampant as of late.

Hell, they brought the official TF2 YouTube account up like 80k subscribers in a week in hopes that VALVe getting their Gold play button at 1million would get them to notice them again.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's also worth noting that certain fanbases congregate in certain places.

A poll being posted to the TF2 reddit is gonna get more attention than say... the Smash Bros reddit.

Smash has a lot of its fanbase on twitter and youtube. TF2, meanwhile, has reddit and youtube.

Shroob

Sup?
It's also worth noting that certain fanbases congregate in certain places.

A poll being posted to the TF2 reddit is gonna get more attention than say... the Smash Bros reddit.

Smash has a lot of its fanbase on twitter and youtube. TF2, meanwhile, has reddit and youtube.
"TF2 Subreddit, did you elevate Heavy on an online Smash poll?"

"Yes."

"How?"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Isn't this poll more or less a test of who can mobilize their respective community to spam upvote more than anything else?
...Isn't that almost every poll in existence?

Literally there's no way for polls to avoid bias. That's just reality. You can't spread it anywhere without some crazy place taking the reigns.

At the very least it's not a "one vote" situation, so people can easily vote for hundreds of characters at once. So I wouldn't be that worried about much.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
...Isn't that almost every poll in existence?

Literally there's no way for polls to avoid bias. That's just reality. You can't spread it anywhere without some crazy place taking the reigns.

At the very least it's not a "one vote" situation, so people can easily vote for hundreds of characters at once. So I wouldn't be that worried about much.
if /v/ discovers that poll and decides to have fun that'll definitely change
enjoy your top 10
1. Grosteque Steve
2. Grosteque Steve 2
3. Grosteque Steve 3
4. Moot
5. Grosteque Steve 4
6. Reimu, it's 4chan lmao
7. Grosteque Steve but hes eating banjo
8. Doomguy
9. Regular Steve
10. Steve but from the simplified promotional art

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
if /v/ discovers that poll and decides to have fun that'll definitely change
enjoy your top 10
1. Grosteque Steve
2. Grosteque Steve 2
3. Grosteque Steve 3
4. Moot
5. Grosteque Steve 4
6. Reimu, it's 4chan lmao
7. Grosteque Steve but hes eating banjo
8. Doomguy
9. Regular Steve
10. Steve but from the simplified promotional art
Funny thing is? That'll just be removed since it's not an actual character different from Steve overall, but just a terribad fan image. The actual rules state you cannot add a character already playable in Smash. Zombie, Enderman, Alex, and Steve cannot be added to the site. They'd just get removed.

To quote;
"Rules:
1. Characters must have ORIGINATED in a video game or are PRIMARILY known for their gaming appearances. Mods have the final say on this matter.
2. Characters must not have already been added.
3. Characters must not already be on the Smash Ultimate roster."

Steve is in the game, Reimu is already on the site, and so is Doomguy(though I think under the term Doom Slayer).

I don't know if they're removing clearly "same characters" if they try too hard to add some. I saw Classic Sonic and Dreamcast Sonic(though we don't have Classic Sonic technically in Smash, the latest Sonic was literally based upon his Dreamcast era design, so, he's already in) there. I don't know if either has been removed yet. Grotesque Steve is however not an actual character, and even if you want to go with the idea he is one? He doesn't fit these rules as he's not a video game character in any way. Meaning he'll be removed.

Hopefully that clears up your worries, assuming you weren't just ****posting.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
Funny thing is? That'll just be removed since it's not an actual character different from Steve overall, but just a terribad fan image. The actual rules state you cannot add a character already playable in Smash. Zombie, Enderman, Alex, and Steve cannot be added to the site. They'd just get removed.

To quote;
"Rules:
1. Characters must have ORIGINATED in a video game or are PRIMARILY known for their gaming appearances. Mods have the final say on this matter.
2. Characters must not have already been added.
3. Characters must not already be on the Smash Ultimate roster."

Steve is in the game, Reimu is already on the site, and so is Doomguy(though I think under the term Doom Slayer).

I don't know if they're removing clearly "same characters" if they try too hard to add some. I saw Classic Sonic and Dreamcast Sonic(though we don't have Classic Sonic technically in Smash, the latest Sonic was literally based upon his Dreamcast era design, so, he's already in) there. I don't know if either has been removed yet. Grotesque Steve is however not an actual character, and even if you want to go with the idea he is one? He doesn't fit these rules as he's not a video game character in any way. Meaning he'll be removed.

Hopefully that clears up your worries, assuming you weren't just ****posting.
Was joke, although I wasn't actually sure it wasn't possible.
Plenty of polls both smash and not have been botted/trolled to hell and back for sure.
Although, is it automated or active moderation? I can easily see the website going to hell for like, 10 minutes before everything is brought under control

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Was joke, although I wasn't actually sure it wasn't possible.
Plenty of polls both smash and not have been botted/trolled to hell and back for sure.
Although, is it automated or active moderation? I can easily see the website going to hell for like, 10 minutes before everything is brought under control
Active moderation. One of the mods even posted here.

Yeah, it'll go to hell from time to time, heh.

Note you cannot bot it due to the voting system not being a "write in". You have to outright click it. It's similar to the CAPTCHA. Though if that can be botted, never mind, but I don't think it can be? Trolled, absolutely, heh.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Looked at what were the biggest games in the world still not in smash and came up this.
Prepare yourself.

Background
Arms: Long range up to 4 player fighting game selling over 2 million copies.

Minecraft: The kid friendly sandbox that took over youtube.

Call of Duty: The Zombies mode first appeared in Call of Duty: World at War and has since become a staple of the franchise with some people only playing the game just for this mode. It spiraled into complex and deep lore spanning numerous games. Doctor Edward Richtofen served as both an antagonist and protagonist and would be a likely candidate for representing the franchise.

grand theft auto: The great influencer of the open world genre.
Open-world games leave players to their own devices, free to explore what amounts to an enormous sandbox with no boundaries and few rules. They date to the 1980s, but 2001's Grand Theft Auto III set the standard, one that has been expanded upon by games ranging from Assassin's Creed to Minecraft.
CJ first appeared in the 7th GTA, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas as the main character. It is remembered as the greatest GTA game of all time, followed by GTA 5.

Dungeon Fighter Online: A side scrolling online beat em up game. You can select from 15 different characters which can grow into different archetypes or "classes". There are a number of social aspects to Dungeon Fighter Online, including Guilds, PvP Arenas, and Party Play.
A popularity poll showed that the various classes had similar levels of popularity with Titan, or Male Grappler, as the most popular.
For more info on their characters, https://www.dfoneople.com/gameinfo/character/all
For context the game earned more lifetime revenue than League of Legends, Final Fantasy, Warcraft, FIFA, and Street Fighter.

Crossfire: Online FPS for Windows. The world's most played video game by player count with a lifetime total of 1 billion users in 80 countries worldwide. Originally a counter strike clone, but is now seeking to expand its narrative and differentiate itself. The new console version of the game Crossfire X comes to Xbox later this year. SAS is the game's British Special Air Service. One of the first, basic, characters and is also popular gameplay wise.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
View attachment 289038
It was apparently posted to a tf2 Reddit and everyone there just decided to place their heavy votes

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Looked at what were the biggest games in the world still not in smash and came up this.
Prepare yourself.

Background
Arms: Long range up to 4 player fighting game selling over 2 million copies.

Minecraft: The kid friendly sandbox that took over youtube.

Call of Duty: The Zombies mode first appeared in Call of Duty: World at War and has since become a staple of the franchise with some people only playing the game just for this mode. It spiraled into complex and deep lore spanning numerous games. Doctor Edward Richtofen served as both an antagonist and protagonist and would be a likely candidate for representing the franchise.

grand theft auto: The great influencer of the open world genre.

CJ first appeared in the 7th GTA, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas as the main character. It is remembered as the greatest GTA game of all time, followed by GTA 5.

Dungeon Fighter Online: A side scrolling online beat em up game. You can select from 15 different characters which can grow into different archetypes or "classes". There are a number of social aspects to Dungeon Fighter Online, including Guilds, PvP Arenas, and Party Play.
A popularity poll showed that the various classes had similar levels of popularity with Titan, or Male Grappler, as the most popular.
For more info on their characters, https://www.dfoneople.com/gameinfo/character/all
For context the game earned more lifetime revenue than League of Legends, Final Fantasy, Warcraft, FIFA, and Street Fighter.

Crossfire: Online FPS for Windows. The world's most played video game by player count with a lifetime total of 1 billion users in 80 countries worldwide. Originally a counter strike clone, but is now seeking to expand its narrative and differentiate itself. The new console version of the game Crossfire X comes to Xbox later this year. SAS is the game's British Special Air Service. One of the first, basic, characters and is also popular gameplay wise.
It's so easy to forget that Crossfire is a thing when it doesn't have as massive a presence as it does here as it does in Asia.

That's definitely one way to one-up Steve. Most sold game of all time? Hah, that's nothing compared to a game with more than 5 times the playerbase.

SKX31

Smash Master
So no Donte. We can rest easy now.
Noooo, where am I supposed to get my riveting over-the-top socio-political commentary? :4pacman:

(Seriously, it could've been a good game, especially if it had been its own IP instead. It's just a shame that a lot of characters and elements don't really work - not just Donte, but that game's Vergil is also executed wonkily as hell.)

Prepare yourself.
Hoo boy that would be a massive tonal swerve. From Min Min and Steve to three of the four being heavily focused around gunplay.

If there's anything those four prove, it's that it can be very tempting for a company to go the live service route. Those four have been around for 10+ years, and that's a main reason why they've gotten so much. But like any other approach it can be a dangerous one (Amazon's Crucible, Metal Gear Survive... the list just goes on).

Speaking of just how long-lived those games are:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
Anything Kirby is good. On my list, every potential candidate is somewhere between "most wanted" and "Not actively supporting but would be cool." Can't bring myself to hate any of them.
Kirby characters are great, and the best part is that they all have Smash movesets already created for them in Kirby Star Allies. Unfortunately I feel that the Fighter Pass is something built off hype and third party characters would be prioritized because Nintendo wants to further sales rather than have mixed reactions since not everyone is a Kirby fan.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Still can’t believe that, thanks to Steve, speculation has done a full 360 on itself. Vergeben is back, Hayabusa is heavily rumored, people are hoping for AT upgrades, and we’re all wondering if a new Crash game means Crash is in Smash.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Still can’t believe that, thanks to Steve, speculation has done a full 360 on itself. Vergeben is back, Hayabusa is heavily rumored, people are hoping for AT upgrades, and we’re all wondering if a new Crash game means Crash is in Smash.
Debates on XBC2/Rex and the grass vs. the fire starter we already the first hint we were traveling back in time.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To be fair, the last one would probably have happened anyway.

Still, it is a nice change of pace.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Eh, the last two points aren't really a consequence of Steve being revealed: people started hoping for AT upgrades ever since the ARMS "Guess who?" saga, and Crash being considered a front runner was a thing since the first Fighter Pass.

At least for me, the biggest change that Steve brought for speculation was that he really put into perspective how much time could be needed for a deal between a third party a Nintendo to come to fruition; thought of course, that's still a case by case basis, and beside Hayabusa, there's really no other character that had been rumored since last year that has come back to the limelight (probably because most of them never left the limelight to begin with).

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I stole this prompt from Twitter

What pose might your most wanted be in and where might they be?

Estelle: She might be standing by Chrom and Robin with her staff and holding out a peace sign maybe there might be a shining pom next to her
Saber: Standing By Marth and Roy holding Excalibur
Sakura: She might be behind Terry getting out of her Koubu

Don’t know where exactly they’d be placed on the banner, but...

Most wanted 1: Honestly could see him backing up/retreating with Wario and Dedede, seeing as he’s somewhat of a coward. Otherwise he’d be sending a mechanical robot forward someplace or just standing there looking mischievous.

Most wanted 2: I’d imagine she/he (depending on which is the default) would be up in the air, gun pointed at camera. Though they might also be on the ground looking about curiously (like they do sometimes in their home game) or striking a victory pose from among the ones they have in their home game.

Most Wanted 3: Performing a magic trick, hopping about, or watching something small move on the ground (another of Olimar’s Pikmin perhaps?). Could also be doing the same pose as when entering a level/stage in their home game. Honestly, just anything that conveys a fun, curious personality.

Most Wanted 4: Probably jumping upwards (makes the most sense), but could also see them walking alongside their “partner”, or standing with a gleeful expression (maybe with hands together pointing up in front of their mouth, as if expecting something good).

And once you guys figure out these 4, you’ll realize just how little of a chance any of my most wanted have, so R.I.P. me. Especially since the last 2 are more likely to show up as Mii costumes if anything.

Also, I agree that poll shouldn’t be taken seriously, but it’s still fun to look at/use for discussion I suppose. Though in the same vein, there’s no way some of my characters are more wanted then those behind them.

Last edited:

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
On the topic of Mii Costumes, how about we talk about potential M rated Mii Costumes like Altair, Vault Boy and Travis Touchdown and what further ones you expect to see coming later.

My predictions:

• Conker from Conker's Bad Fur Day as a Deluxe Mii with Windy as additional music
  • CJ from GTA San Andreas
  • Raiden and/or Jetstream Sam from Metal Gear Rising
  • Doomguy from Doom
I would LOVE Jetstream Sam as a costume. I want him playable but this would okay with ms

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

What pose might your most wanted be in and where might they be? on the smash banner

Estelle: She might be standing by Chrom and Robin with her staff and holding out a peace sign maybe there might be a shining pom next to her
  1. In front of the Buster Sword, holding a discus of light, ready to throw it to the left. The character's friend is practicing thunder magic with Pikachu and Pichu
  2. Near Greninja and Byleth and Steve, with mech armed to strike Lucas
  3. Yo-yoing with Ness on the ground near Terry and Min Min and Pokemon Trainer

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

What pose might your most wanted be in and where might they be? on the smash banner

Here’s mine:
Neku, Elma and Octoling in order

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Bandana Dee: Doing his spear copter next to Kirby
Poochy: Standing on his hind legs
Shake King: Punching the ground with electricity crackling
Toxtricity: Rocking and jamming with his Low-Key form
Amaterasu: Using one of her powers
Crash: Doing his iconic spin wielding the Fruit Bazooka
Heavy: Enjoying his sandvich leaning against his minigun
Earthworm Jim: Flying around on his jet turbine
Octane: Boosting around in the sky
Henry Stickmin: Sitting on the Diamond with the Emerald and Ruby next to him

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
View attachment 289038
I mean for a Valve representative you could have Gordon or a TF2 Character, and the Heavy is a pretty solid mascot for the game.

However, this is sus as **** regardless, the only thing this does for me is give me more Waluigi leverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom