• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
I stole this prompt from Twitter

What pose might your most wanted be in and where might they be? on the smash banner

Estelle: She might be standing by Chrom and Robin with her staff and holding out a peace sign maybe there might be a shining pom next to her
Saber: Standing By Marth and Roy holding Excalibur
Sakura: She might be behind Terry getting out of her Koubu
Most wanted 1 (Dota 2's Lina): To the right of Master Chief, looking a little towards Peach. (Voice actress joke - Lina's VA, Jen Taylor, is also Cortana and Peach's GCN / Wii era voice)
Most wanted 2 (KOS-MOS) : Right next to Shulk, looking at him with approval.
Most wanted 3 (Master Chief) : Looks befuddled at one of his corporate partners: either B-K or Steve.
Most wanted 4 (Dante) : About to offer :ultgnw: pizza.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Still can’t believe that, thanks to Steve, speculation has done a full 360 on itself. Vergeben is back
Vergeben is back because people are like "omg he was right two years ago" even though I'm pretty sure he was talking about an Ender Dragon boss or smth.

:215: It's stupid.

What pose might your most wanted be in and where might they be? on the smash banner
I don't know but

Untitled.png

Why is Marth and Mega Man adamant on murdering Inkling? And Roy's just watching?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Publisher: EA"

...To be fair, this is a thing from over a year back that keeps getting brought up with nothing to show for it. It's a listing that exists for some odd reason. Why on earth it's still there, when Nintendo hasn't even going into any new details(including things related to EA, if they are even involved, which isn't entirely impossible), I dunno. Seems like they just aren't good at keeping proper website work done?

Vergeben is back because people are like "omg he was right two years ago" even though I'm pretty sure he was talking about an Ender Dragon boss or smth.

:215: It's stupid.
It's more "Minecraft content" that he was sure on, but he had a bad source. People think he suddenly had a good source cause it actually came up.

...Which isn't how it works. It's nice people recognize him for having the credibility he deserves and all, but it's still a pretty annoying thing it's based upon false pretenses. Can never win with GameFAQs. -_-

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Welp, 2020 claimed another victim (sort of). Though given what I'd heard, it isn't TOO surprising, I guess. Wonder what this means for potential Smash representation, though...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Welp, 2020 claimed another victim (sort of). Though given what I'd heard, it isn't TOO surprising, I guess. Wonder what this means for potential Smash representation, though...
Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo is gonna be sad about this...

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

If Nintendo was gonna buy anyone right now, it should be Level 5. So many good IPs are gonna just die if nothing's done...

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

From the article, it sounds like this does not impact the Japan side of Level 5, only the international offices.

That or I'm reading this wrong.

Hoping something happens and they survive.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
From the article, it sounds like this does not impact the Japan side of Level 5, only the international offices.

That or I'm reading this wrong.

Hoping something happens and they survive.
Yeah, I don't know wether or not this effects the Japanese branch, I heard that the western one has been very understaffed for a long while now.

Hopefully they will be able to get something done about this though, or let Nintendo publish their games again like they used to...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
There's an alternate universe out there where Yo-Kai Watch took off in North America and Level 5 is thriving here as a result, but that's not the one we live in.
It could have been this one if Yo-kai watch wasn't advertised in the west as a "Pokemon Killer" even though that is not what the intent of the series was.

I don't even like Yo-kai watch and I know that it got the short end of the advertising stick

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

If it's just the NA branch, this doesn't affect Smash at all. Still seeing Level 5 going the same way as AlphaDream will be sad.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

If it's only for North America, the absolute worst case scenario would be that Level-5 is still active in Japan and Europe, but none of its games would reach NA.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It could have been this one if Yo-kai watch wasn't advertised in the west as a "Pokemon Killer" even though that is not what the intent of the series was.

I don't even like Yo-kai watch and I know that it got the short end of the advertising stick
I remember back in 2001 when Dark Cloud for PS2, another one of Level 5’s IPs, was advertised as a “Zelda killer”

fat load of good THAT did the series /s

shame too, I love DC2

SKX31

Smash Master
"Publisher: EA"

"It's in the game!"

Includes:

• Huge, open worlds in an exciting galaxy, includes fan favorites like Zebes, Brinstar and Norfair.
  • All new "Missile Fine-Tuning" which allows the player to control the tiniest details of a shot's trajectory.
  • New mode: Ultimate Hunter Online. Enjoy the thrills of hunting, Online! Includes content from fan-favorite Anthem.
  • Features a special playable hunter: Darth Vader. Now with a pink color scheme!
  • Full customization for Samus, other hunters, and Ridley. Including skins and decals. Yours for only MTX $.

Also includes our trademark insane rubberband mechanics, to give players a sense of pride and accomplishment.

:4pacman:

If it's only for North America, the absolute worst case scenario would be that Level-5 is still active in Japan, but none of its games would reach NA.
Still though, wouldn't that mean that Level 5 would be reliant on other publishers (Nintendo etc.) to publish their games in the West?

As someone who thinks that Nintendo could've done more to help AlphaDream out, it'd be another major missed opportunity if Nintendo didn't help Level 5 publish their games outside of Japan etc. Aka. Nintendo should help Level 5 out IMHO when Level 5 has the portfolio that they have.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Still though, wouldn't that mean that Level 5 would be reliant on other publishers (Nintendo etc.) to publish their games in the West?

As someone who thinks that Nintendo could've done more to help AlphaDream out, it'd be another major missed opportunity if Nintendo didn't help Level 5 publish their games outside of Japan etc. Aka. they should IMHO when Level 5 has the portfolio that they have.
I mean... some companies, most notably Nintendo, used to do that before Level-5 tried to be a big boy and publish their games in the West themselves, so I can see it go either way.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I remember back in 2001 when Dark Cloud for PS2, another one of Level 5’s IPs, was advertised as a “Zelda killer”

fat load of good THAT did the series /s

shame too, I love DC2
Yeah L5 always had this thing where the gaming media tend to portray some of their games as "insert beloved franchise here" killer, even though that was never their intend in the first place.

Yo-Kai Watch was always more inspired by Doreamon if I recall, over the Pokemon franchise.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah L5 always had this thing where the gaming media tend to portray some of their games as "insert beloved franchise here" killer, even though that was never their intend in the first place.
So marketing would be the "Level-5 killer" then? :lol:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

I guess I can drop my hopes for Layton in smash now, thankfully
If it's only for North America, the absolute worst case scenario would be that Level-5 is still active in Japan and Europe, but none of its games would reach NA.
Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo is gonna be sad about this...
Considering main Professor Layton games ended , that's one thing I don't see a problem. with. I'm not really a fan of Yokai Watch and I don't really care for any Inazuma eleven

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

I guess I can drop my hopes for Layton in smash now, thankfully

Considering Professor Layton games ended , that's one thing I don't see a problem. with
This is not good news, of course, but I don't see how this affects the chances of a rep from them. This was just declared today, and the characters were chosen last year.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
This is not good news, of course, but I don't see how this affects the chances of a rep from them. This was just declared today, and the characters were chosen last year.
I know for sure this isn't good news for the company. And I guess you are right a character being in Smash isn't the same as then publishing your own games so maybe I just overreacted

7NATOR

Smash Master
I guess the Reasoning on how this would affect any Level-5 Character's Chances is if the Writing was on the wall for awhile now, and Nintendo Noticed when choosing for FP2

After all, I always did wonder why Level-5, despite how Close they are to Nintendo, has not had any sort of Content in Smash. It could have been because the content was delayed, but with today's news, there could be implication that it wasn't seen as Priority or something

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Who knows. For all we know they they could have never had plans to put him in Smash but on the other hand they might have already decided to put him in Smash and this was just them going their separate way. whatever happens happens. I'm all to jaded even care anymore

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
From what I just read from Twitter, "One source suggested that there were currently no concrete plans for any more Level-5 games to be released outside of Japan."

Considering the reasoning against picks like Lucas, Takamaru, as well as potentially making Marth and Roy Japan exclusive, I'm not sure that suggests great things for Level-5 in Smash.

Doesn't mean it's 100% out but that's a major "oof" for them right now.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
From what I just read from Twitter, "One source suggested that there were currently no concrete plans for any more Level-5 games to be released outside of Japan."

Considering the reasoning against picks like Lucas, Takamaru, as well as potentially making Marth and Roy Japan exclusive, I'm not sure that suggests great things for Level-5 in Smash.

Doesn't mean it's 100% out for that's a major "oof" for them right now.
Im pretty sure that if Sakurai knew about Mother 3 not coming outside of Japan, Lucas wouldn't have been included, and Roy and Marth were meant to be excluded in the international versions of Melee. Because of this im sure that unless Level 5 gets an international friend to help publish them outside of Japan, they are done for in the future. (far future, not now)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Yeah, I think Ima jusy give up hopin for Layton personally. I love him, but he aint ever happening. unless something point otherwise, he is never happenin'
Do what you want, but he still has a chance for this pass. As long as Nintendo didn't get wind of this while choosing the characters, Layton should be in the clear.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As others said, I don't think this would have much of an effect on seeing a character from them in this current pass since it was already decided at least since last year at the latest. Unless Sakurai/Nintendo somehow had major foresight on this whole thing back then...

It may not be a good outlook for any future chances though, unless they manage to bounce back from it or at least, let Nintendo or Namco etc publish their games outside of Japan again, which they used to do before they decided to go self publish their stuff.

Personally, I always kinda felt like Level-5 went more undergound ever since they decided to self publish their games, so if this means that they may go back by having a larger partner like Nintendo or Namco publish and advertise their games again, then hopefully that means good things for them in the future, hopefully...

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever wrote here, but imagine an EA Sports rep who is just an athlete pulling off sports move. Final Smash would be microtransactions.
The fighter would be a FIFA character.

But then, a year later, we’d get a newcomer trailer with the exact same FIFA character!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Still can’t believe that, thanks to Steve, speculation has done a full 360 on itself. Vergeben is back, Hayabusa is heavily rumored, people are hoping for AT upgrades, and we’re all wondering if a new Crash game means Crash is in Smash.
I'm thinking this might be a one-time thing, at most stretching on until CP9. As we discussed a few pages back, it's likely that some fighters were chosen long before FP2, but not all. We'll probably get one character from the FP1 speculative era, then get blindsided by another Joker character (As in, a massive surprise that doesn't fit the current speculation; Size, age, and Nintendo relations could be vastly different).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also I don't mean to rain more on the Level-5 thing

Someone on 4Chan predicted this happen last October

On the one hand Level-5’s West branches only said “virtually halted operations” and said nothing about bankruptcy explicitly

on the other hand, if the “emotionally manipulative” bit is true... GOD ****ING DAMMIT CAN I CATCH A BREAK WRT COMPANIES BEING SCUMMY JUST ONCE?!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Also I don't mean to rain more on the Level-5 thing

Someone on 4Chan predicted this happen last October

tbh, I can see then going into bankruptcy. That last "Layton" game which was just "Where is my dad: the game" was pretty mediocre. At least in the anime she reunited with her father and didn't just end the with the vague letter

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
tbh, I can see then going into bankruptcy. That last "Layton" game which was just "Where is my dad: the game" was pretty mediocre
Why did they decide to try to Make Layton's Daughter the New Protag Anyway? was Layton just getting old or something? also besides that, why was the game Mediocre?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom