• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Hypothetical: How would you guys feel if a Xenoblade 3 announcement was shadowdropped on Twitter and the next character was the protagonist from that game? That'd be a very Nintendo thing to do lol

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Eh, like I said before, it's easy to pull the "everyone's the main character" thing with ARMS because it's an all new IP featuring an ensemble cast. Spring Man is pushed as the face of the game in marketing, but the game itself doesn't have a story mode to fully establish him as the main hero.

Meanwhile in stuff like FE3H and XB2, Byleth and Rex are very distinctively the main protagonists in their respective games.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
question in general: who do y'all consider to be the protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles X? Cross (the player avatar), or Elma?

I'd say Elma. She appeared in XC2 as a guest Blade alongside Shulk and Fiora, and is featured in that 10th anniversary artwork between Rex and Shulk. Not Cross.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Hypothetical: How would you guys feel if a Xenoblade 3 announcement was shadowdropped on Twitter and the next character was the protagonist from that game? That'd be a very Nintendo thing to do lol
I would wonder what kind of Development Hell the Monolithsoft employees go through :strongbad:

A Xenoblade game Literally came out this year I would give it a year at least before we get any info about a potential Xenoblade 3

There is that one theory where the potential Xenoblade 3 protagonist would be Corvin because he was added with Elma and Shulk via DLC but I don't really buy that theory

question in general: who do y'all consider to be the protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles X? Cross (the player avatar), or Elma?

I'd say Elma. She appeared in XC2 as a guest Blade alongside Shulk and Fiora, and is featured in that 10th anniversary artwork between Rex and Shulk. Not Cross.
It's Elma no question, The story is mainly about Elma, Cross is just there for Moral support and so the player can get information about the world

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As far as Xenoblade the most significant (non-Smash) question long term is if XC3 or a port of XCX gets on Switch first.
I think the latter would sooner happen. Mainline XC titles take a lot longer to plan and develop.

and if they decide to include Elma to promote XDE, it's truly curtains for Rex, I'd say. no way would they repeat series in the same pass.

unfortunately for me it also means buh-bye Fiora but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the Sawano bangers

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I think Cross is the main character. Yeah, this is Elma's story, but it's told from Cross's perspective. Think of it like Fire Emblem Awakening: it's Chrom's story, but it's told from Robin's perspective. I know it's a weird technicality, but after stuff like Corrin over Azura and Byleth over Edelgard, I think it should be something to consider.

That being said, I would prefer Elma. Granted, I would prefer Rex even more, so take that as you will.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Lmao you reminded me of a guy screeching at me for my 'unreasonable hatred' when I said the same thing about Saito by saying his Celica artwork is ****ing awful
His Celica artwork? You mean that generic thing he drew for Fire Emblem Awakening's DLC?

Monolith has different teams. They were working on BotW and XC2 at the same time, for example. They're supposed to be developing something new if I'm not mistaken. And obviously Xenoblade 3 is gonna happen eventually.
I seriously doubt that Xenoblade 3 is going to happen next, anyway. The series' director has gone on record to say that he doesn't like working on the same thing one after another, so either a sequel to X or something else entirely is far more likely right now.

It saddens me how everyone is talking about the best XC2 characters but no one has mentioned Morag or Brighid. So here I go:

Morag and Brighid:

There, that's the post.
Lesbian power couple that got way too little attention from the story.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As far as Xenoblade the most significant (non-Smash) question long term is if XC3 or a port of XCX gets on Switch first.
Well fwiw the Xenoblade team's next original title has been in development for quite a while - we saw the conceptual art for it years ago - and I would expect to see it next year.

I think the latter would sooner happen. Mainline XC titles take a lot longer to plan and develop.

and if they decide to include Elma to promote XDE, it's truly curtains for Rex, I'd say. no way would they repeat series in the same pass.

unfortunately for me it also means buh-bye Fiora but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the Sawano bangers
Including a character that doesn't appear in the game to promote said game is pretty specious reasoning.

They might as well include Rex to promote XDE at that point. At least he has a game on the Switch.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I'm holding out for a Xenoblade X port like a lot of people (have DE and 2 under my belt), but to be brutally honest I think Elma has like a 10% chance. Rex has a lot more going for him than her, even though she'd be really dope all the same.

In a perfect world, we'd get both. But it's planet Earth in 2020 and everything is garbage.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So so here's one idea.

As of now Pokemon Trainer's three Pokemon are the only Pokemon to have their trainer in the background. And while Pokemon Trainer could keep his role of being able to switch. Would you like the other Pokemon to have their trainers in the background or their victory animations or something?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Xenoblade is the kind of series that once you're not the most recent, your chances are pretty much out the window.

And a remake or remaster won't change that. Rereleases don't generally affect Smash inclusions. The only thing that would bring you to the forefront again is an actual sequel.

That's where I stand.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Eventually, yes. Just not in time to screw Rex out of a chance to be in FP2.
Well, I guess. Didn't say that would be the case.

But I certainly think that Rex is one of those characters that is now or never for them. You can't really make him an echo in the next Smash, assuming he's still demanded by then. And while he's popular, I don't think requests for him will be as strong by Smash 6 as now, for different reasons.

Shroob

Sup?
So Animal Crossing got its news out, so theoretically, that just leaves Pokemon and Smash.

Now here's a brain**** y'all haven't considered.

Does Mario 35th releasing on October 1st throw a wrench into your plans? Considering it's literally a time-limited game, releasing a Smash character close to it seems like a kinda bad idea from a marketing perspective.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So so here's one idea.

As of now Pokemon Trainer's three Pokemon are the only Pokemon to have their trainer in the background. And while Pokemon Trainer could keep his role of being able to switch. Would you like the other Pokemon to have their trainers in the background or their victory animations or something?
This is something I've always wanted to happen NGL here is what I would do
Pikachu - I wouldn't actually have one for Pikachu
Jigglypuff - Green
Pichu - Kris/Ethan
Mewtwo - Giovanni
Lucario - Dawn/Lucas
Greninja - Calum/Serena
Incineroar - Selene/Elio

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Gonna pick Amaterasu and Phoenix Wright. . . and that's it. I don't care for anyone else on there.
Dante, Travis, Geno, Rex, and Hyde!

Hyde might be weird to some people but I like his design and his cool red sword

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So so here's one idea.

Nah but I always wanted the Pokemon Trainer to have unique victory lines for when they battle Pokemon like "Yes! I caught ___________" like they're battling the Pokemon to catch them.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm down for a Pokemon, because those DAMN H U M A N S have had it too good for too long. It's time the roster steers in a different direction, and it's downright reprehensible how much we've let this nonsense continue thus far.

Look at this. Look at this gobbledegook.
Damn it, I forgot I had a certain image for this ocassion:
tl02b4hzeqs31.jpg

How would you describe H U M A N S like him? :4dedede:

So Animal Crossing got its news out, so theoretically, that just leaves Pokemon and Smash.

Now here's a brain**** y'all haven't considered.

Does Mario 35th releasing on October 1st throw a wrench into your plans? Considering it's literally a time-limited game, releasing a Smash character close to it seems like a kinda bad idea from a marketing perspective.
In short... don't think Mario 35 matters that much for the simple reason that the bigger game (All Stars) is out now, and IIRC Nintendo did release news / new stuff around the time Tetris 99 launched.

Mario 35 seems to be positioned kinda like 99 too, although as a "companion piece" to All Stars.

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So so here's one idea.

Maybe for the starters, but I think it would be odd for other Pokemon beyond them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd honestly be more surprised that they've managed to make a whole new Xenoblade in, what, 2 years? While also making XCDE and helping with development for BotW2.

I consider Cross to be the protagonist of the story, he's mostly a passive protagonist though but from what I've seen it's pretty frequent in Japanese media to have a generic protagonist as an observer to interesting stuff that happens to other characters.

For promotional reasons though I'd expect Elma to feature in advertising and stuff because she has a fixed design and she's pretty popular with people who liked Xenoblade X. Not sure if that would extend to Smash as well, but it's likely.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So so here's one idea.

I wish that Pokemon Trainer had more full alts than just Leaf. They could keep Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard as three Pokemon for each trainer, but I don't think anyone would be opposed to this:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I kinda figured it would be either something like this, or the other kind of harassment that has plagued Ubisoft.

You don't just leave a high-position job in a big company mid development of two games to go hang out in nature for no reason. That's fishy.

Ancel was probably given a very healthy severance to go into "early retirement".

That said, this doesn't really affect Rayman's chances.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I kinda figured it would be either something like this, or the other kind of harassment that has plagued Ubisoft.

You don't just leave a high-position job in a big company mid development of two games to go hang out in nature for no reason. That's fishy.

Ancel was probably given a very healthy severance to go into "early retirement".

That said, this doesn't really affect Rayman's chances.
That's not really the bad part here. His chances haven't changed at all. Its just the fact that you loved something so dearly and but find out it comes from someone who abuses their staff. It's an awful feeling and makes looking at or playing the media you loved a bit conflicting.

Edit: What I was really trying to say is that Smash or not, this really sucks for Rayman fans in general (not just the Smash advocates).

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Doubt it given the 3D All-Stars is out.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's not really the bad part here. His chances haven't changed at all. Its just the fact that you loved something so dearly and but find out it comes from someone who abuses their staff. It's an awful feeling and makes looking at or playing the media you loved a bit conflicting.
No, that's not the bad part, it's the good part that it doesn't affect Rayman's chances. The bad part is everything else.

Shroob

Sup?
But yeah, next week will be interesting.

Will it be Smash?

Will Pokemon come out of left field and suddenly push Crown Tundra?

Or will a Kirby situation occur again?

We'll know soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom