• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
SEGA is having a concert at the end of TGS SEGA Chads

Confirmed music in the concert:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog series
  • Phantasy Star Online series
  • Sakura Wars series
  • Yakuza series
  • Persona series

Also a new Virtua Fighter project was announced

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Michel Ancel getting cancelled wouldn't affect Rayman's chances. It would potentially affect his reception if he was in. Him being fp7 would be horrible timing, that's for sure. Would be sad to see his inclusion be met with "Ewww, that creation from that guy?! No thanks!" instead of all around satisfaction.
I doubt he'd be some hugely controversial characters cause most Smash fans likely won't pay attention to this stuff and most who do know to seperate art from the artist but if some people weren't already fond of Rayman then they definitely won't accept him now.

None of this should really matter that much and Michel leaving is honestly a good thing but it still feels sorta unfortunate.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Sooo... Incredibly off topic

But SEGA Announced a 60th anniversary Concert and they just announced what series will have music

Sonic the Hedgehog
Phantasy Star Online
Sakura Wars
Yakuza
Persona

I think one of these series except for Sonic and Persona will get a character in this pass because from what I can tell these are the series that Sega cares the most about right now.
I understand that all of those series have some beloved soundtracks and I get that maybe only have so much time for a performance, but you have a Sega concert for tracks from their series... and you don't include Streets of Rage.

Its like having a Nintendo concert and concluding "Eh, we don't need any Zelda music."

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I understand that all of those series have some beloved soundtracks and I get that maybe only have so much time for a performance, but you have a Sega concert for tracks from their series... and you don't include Streets of Rage.

Its like having a Nintendo concert and concluding "Eh, we don't need any Zelda music."
To be fair, Streets of Rage was dead until recently.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

SoR music only happens if Yuzo is involved

This is most likely SEGA/Atlus actual sound team like Senoue, Kobayashi, Mitsuyoshi, Meguro, etc

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I am always pro "Separate Art from Artist" because if we didn't, it'd be difficult to enjoy stuff given how a lot of acclaimed stuff has had at least one terrible person work on it. I do worry how people may react if Rayman got in now, especially since the art from artist separation is considered controversial these days by quite a few people.

I'd welcome Rayman if he got in with open arms and hopefully people don't get too angry if he got in.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I do worry how people may react if Rayman got in now, especially since the art from artist separation is considered controversial these days by quite a few people.
Yeah, social media seems to be on the side of everyone must pay for their crimes and it is morally wrong for you to support them in any way until they do. I don't think that's inherently wrong, and I get the desire not to buy products in protest, but sometimes their definition of "crime" is doing something that would be considered problematic nowadays like having taken part in some weird dark humor comedy thing a decade or so ago, and their idea of punishment is complete ostracism forever.

So thoughts on Nightmare or a soul calibur rep
Meh. You'll have to sell me on their moveset. Unless it's Yoshimitsu. That guy's hilarious.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You can "separate art from the artist" with Rayman because it's ultimately a problem in enabling a toxic work culture that doesn't seep into the games themselves. It's not like Rayman's a product of an unabashed piece of **** like JK Rowling in which no, you can't actually separate the art from the artist because her bull**** is littered all over her works.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ban Rayman! He wasn't imbued with love from the entire team, just an abusive person who put all his evil intentions into the character!

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
People talking about Rex getting a 2nd chance and another potential Pokemon.

And do you know who would be a dope character that fits both? Decidueye. Popular candidate for the Pokemon slot that Sakurai considered at one point. The moveset would be cool enough to justify having a second gen 7 starter imo.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

And do you know who would be a dope character that fits both? Decidueye. Popular candidate for the Pokemon slot that Sakurai considered at one point. The moveset would be cool enough to justify having a second gen 7 starter imo.
I thought you were saying that Decidueye = Rex for a minute. lol

I think Decidueye would be alright, and I do like him, but if we're going to previous generations I'd rather it not be yet another starter.

Goombaic

Smash Ace

I would genuinely be interested in how Decidueye would make the fanbase react. Would they be glad about the addition of a popular concept character or be upset over how they added said concept character too late.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
It's especially important to remember that games are the product of a lot of people too.

There are several artists that influence a work. One bad person shouldn't spoil the whole thing.

At least, ideally.
Yeah, this. Outside of some indie games, there isn't one single person who develops everything, which severely decreases the risk of entire series being spoiled by someone going full J.K. Rowling.

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
So thoughts on Nightmare or a soul calibur rep
He's in my sig so I think he's a cool kid. Look at him down there. Look at him s c h m o o v i n'.

I'm only vaguely familiar with Soul Caliber but what sold me was Source Gaming & Pizzamandudeguy's moveset vid on this dood. He sounds like he'd be a pretty neato-burrito stance change character.

Plus an evil knight archetype would be so heckin' cool to have in the roster, and his character design is sick.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I would genuinely be interested in how Decidueye would make the fanbase react. Would they be glad about the addition of a popular concept character or be upset over how they added said concept character too late.
I think confused celebration, if they're gonna get an old starter it'd be far more likely Blaziken/Sceptile, it'd be a huge curve ball

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Soul Caliber is an interesting series in that in its one of the biggest fighting game franchises without any representation in Smash which is unusual for one that's popular in both Japan and the West. Its also the only big fighting game franchise Nintendo felt willing to put one of their characters in via Link's Soul Caliber 2 appearance.

If Sakurai's enough of a fan of it, that's its best chance to pop up in Smash in some form.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, this. Outside of some indie games, there isn't one single person who develops everything, which severely decreases the risk of entire series being spoiled by someone going full J.K. Rowling.
I know she's said some transphobic things, but what did she write in her works that people think is entirely ruined? I'm just curious because I havent looked into it, and havent seen any work affected severely by a creator's ... hateful mindset, i guess

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Soul Caliber is an interesting series in that in its one of the biggest fighting game franchises without any representation in Smash which is unusual for one that's popular in both Japan and the West. Its also the only big fighting game franchise Nintendo felt willing to put one of their characters in via Link's Soul Caliber 2 appearance.

If Sakurai's enough of a fan of it, that's its best chance to pop up in Smash in some form.
with heiheichi out of the picture what else is namco gonna give at this point

Namco SHOULD have another character and Nightmare would be perfect for that. His only competition at all is a Tales character at this point

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I know she's said some transphobic things, but what did she write in her works that people think is entirely ruined? I'm just curious because I havent looked into it, and havent seen any work affected severely by a creator's ... hateful mindset, i guess
theres a lot i could go into but for starters the main char is a rich kid who eventually ends the series as a cop. There are long nosed banker goblins. The whole "girls can go into the boys dorm but boys cant go into the girls dorm cause theyre perverts" thing, various racist things, rita seeker being described as manish in multiple ways, using a werewolf to represent a gay person, etc, etc. Theres a lot in the books that you dont notice when youre young but its impossible to ignore as an adult, etc, etc but this sort of stuff isnt what we should be discussing on this specific board so ill leave it at that

also at this point its not "some transphobic things" her entire account is nothing but transphobia and supporting transphoba as well as writing an extremely transphobic book. Its not just "oh she said a few smoll things" its basically all she does nowadays

its impossible to seperate harry potter from jk rowling so the idea of art seperated from artist is impossible cause she still makes all the money no matter what if you support it

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

This image is still amazing
This leak always amuses me cuz Springo and especially Decidueye weren't really my ideal picks for each respective game, and we ended up getting basically my preferred outcome on both fronts instead lol.

I mean... Incineroar still wasn't quite my first pick for SM (That was Mimikyu) but it was still my starter that gen and I absolutely love it's preevolution, so... Still a win for me

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Gonna bring this up again but has many different PSO2 classes that would all be fun to and could easily transfer into a fighting game

I would love to see any Phantasy Star character get in smash. Either take a PSO character or a classic PS and modernize them by giving them moves inpired by the modern game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
theres a lot i could go into but for starters the main char is a rich kid who eventually ends the series as a cop. There are long nosed banker goblins. The whole "girls can go into the boys dorm but boys cant go into the girls dorm cause theyre perverts" thing, various racist things, rita seeker being described as manish in multiple ways, using a werewolf to represent a gay person, etc, etc. Theres a lot in the books that you dont notice when youre young but its impossible to ignore as an adult, etc, etc but this sort of stuff isnt what we should be discussing on this specific board so ill leave it at that

also at this point its not "some transphobic things" her entire account is nothing but transphobia and supporting transphoba as well as writing an extremely transphobic book. Its not just "oh she said a few smoll things" its basically all she does nowadays

its impossible to seperate harry potter from jk rowling so the idea of art seperated from artist is impossible cause she still makes all the money no matter what if you support it
Just sounds like the regular ol' stereotyping, which i'm guessing affected a lot of works. I don't think I'd call that hateful, more like not progressive, I guess.
In a way princess peach being a damsel to save is pretty stereotypical.

In Spelunky 2 they made the damsel into a playable character :p I guess it was to try to be progressive. I like it, but I don't necessarily think tradition is 'bad'.

Well, I think the art still has to be judged for itself. Like, Rayman is just balls moving together and it doesn't seem bad as a character :p I do wonder how ubisoft feels about all this though.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Have you ever really wanted something before but eventually lost interest because so much time had passed? Then sometime later, a friend or family member gives you that thing as a gift, and even though you're kinda happy, it's not that big of a deal to you anymore? That's Decidueye.

I think people would be happy to get Decidueye, but I can also see a lot of people being disappointed because there's already a decent amount of Gen 7 content. The interest has diminished, and since people don't feel like a Gen 7 Pokémon is all but guaranteed like they did during base game speculation, they'd much rather get something else.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Just sounds like the regular ol' stereotyping, which i'm guessing affected a lot of works. I don't think I'd call that hateful, more like not progressive, I guess.
In a way princess peach being a damsel to save is pretty stereotypical.

In Spelunky 2 they made the damsel into a playable character :p I guess it was to try to be progressive. I like it, but I don't necessarily think tradition is 'bad'.

Well, I think the art still has to be judged for itself. Like, Rayman is just balls moving together and it doesn't seem bad as a character :p I do wonder how ubisoft feels about all this though.
"just sounds like regular ol' stereotyping" e-excuse me

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Separating the art from the artist is some that can only happen on a person-by-person and case-by-case basis, and sometimes people will get judged for not doing so. But I think the thing to keep in mind is continuing to appreciate the product is not a tacit endorsement of the artist as a person.

Some people will argue the two are inextricably linked, but again, that is subjective.

The truth of the matter is there is going to be someone in some part of the chain of people who profit from paying patronage to a product you like who holds views or behaviour that you would otherwise oppose. If it's not the face of the product, it's someone in development. Or sales. Or production. That's the reality of the situation, and you can choose ignorance, or you can gauge based off one person. Or, you could look at all the other people involved who do not share that behaviour or opinion, because they're probably the majority. Ultimately it is your call. But it's not a black and white issue.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
"just sounds like regular ol' stereotyping" e-excuse me
Feel free to pm me if you wanna talk about this. Obviously I don't know much about how it affected her work badly. To me it seems like things affected by traditional thinking.

It does sound like she was pretty bad on twitter tho. I'm reading something she wrote right now :/

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Some stuff would be harder to deal with even if you can't separate art from artist. Hogwart's Legacy, for example. It is inevitable Rowling will get money off it and she may already have. The devs on the other hand will be affected if a boycott happens depending on how their contract is so they'd be victims despite just wanting money to put food on the table.

It's not as black and white as things are.

In Raymans case there's more than one person who developed the Rayman series so even if you can't separate art and artists, focus on the good people who worked on him.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh, Rowling is already well past the point of "saying some transphobic things". She's going all out on that, doubling down, and acting like she's being silenced in her opinions.
As for her work itself, people have also started going back and realized that isn't exactly as good as they remember, and there really were some pretty telling things in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom