• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
That's not really the bad part here. His chances haven't changed at all. Its just the fact that you loved something so dearly and but find out it comes from someone who abuses their staff. It's an awful feeling and makes looking at or playing the media you loved a bit conflicting.

With how things are, this is why I have difficulty attaching myself to creators of stuff. One day I'll find myself enjoying something and getting obsessed and the next day, I hear the creator doing something terrible which makes me feel a bit icky depending on how attached I got to it.

And it doesn't help I worry people will harass others for enjoying Rayman and shame them simply over this. It's like whenever a creators true colors are shown, their art is so damned that people try to guilt trip or demonize the fans.

But yeah. This doesn't hurt Raymans chances at all for Smash.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Has anyone working on the Assassin’s Creed series been exposed?
Yeah, tons of people, Ubisoft in general is apparently plagued by systemic issues at the executive level.

This is the first time I've heard accusations towards a creative, though Ancel's pretty much the only one they had working there either way.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So Animal Crossing got its news out, so theoretically, that just leaves Pokemon and Smash.

Now here's a brain**** y'all haven't considered.

Does Mario 35th releasing on October 1st throw a wrench into your plans? Considering it's literally a time-limited game, releasing a Smash character close to it seems like a kinda bad idea from a marketing perspective.
Eh, Mario 35 is a free game, it'll have plenty of people downloading it regardless.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I feel so bad for the Rayman fandom right now. It really sucks when the person who made a creation you love turns out to not be so awesome to be around. :'(

They just can't catch a break.
https://twitter.com/RaymanForSmash/status/1309553936832098305?s=19
Dang. Hate it when that happens...

Should we maybe add Ubisoft to the list of companies that can only be fixed by tearing them apart and putting them back together?

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, all we can do is hope.

We have, for "Evidence" of Smash coming soon:

The 7-11 ad
The missing 9~12 notification slots
The fact that Nintendo doesn't have a whole hell of a lot left to show for weekly updates aside from Pokemon
Amiibo theory

So while it's definitely possible, likely even, nothing's 100% set in stone yet. For all we know, Crown Tundra could donkey punch us all square in the jaw. Just be glad that Animal Crossing's update is out of the way.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

The 7-11 ad
The fact that Nintendo doesn't have a whole hell of a lot left to show for weekly updates aside from Pokemon
Amiibo theory

So while it's definitely possible, likely even, nothing's 100% set in stone yet. For all we know, Crown Tundra could donkey punch us all square in the jaw.
We also have the fact that this week they did Kirby AND Animal Crossing so while I wouldn't bet on it or even hope for it there is a chance they would reveal 2 things next week

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Can wait for FP7 to arrive and they're as controversial of a pick as Byleth.

At this point, it comes when it comes. May that be next week, early October, late November or even 2021. It'll come eventually

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So another game here.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

My choices would be

Lloyd
Ryu Hayabusa
2B
Reimu
Travis

Shroob

Sup?
I'm fully expecting salt for whoever CP7 is

Some will be upset due to them taking soo long

Some will be upset due to them not being who they wanted/"They don't deserve...."

Some will be upset due to them being "Obvious"

And some will be upset depending on what company they're from/the Mii costumes that come with them

Either way, whenever that announcement drops, I got a bucket of popcorn ready.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I'm fully expecting salt for whoever CP7 is

Some will be upset due to them taking soo long

Some will be upset due to them not being who they wanted/"They don't deserve...."

Some will be upset due to them being "Obvious"

And some will be upset depending on what company they're from/the Mii costumes that come with them

Either way, whenever that announcement drops, I got a bucket of popcorn ready.

Regardless if it's an 8th Gen Pokemon, Geno, Master Chief, Crash, Sora, Reimu, Travis, Dante, etc etc there will be a huge uproar and controversy on who they are. It's pretty much inevitable.

So prepare to see people making 10-20 tweet long Twitter threads on why " ___ is bad to be in Smash and why they hurt the game".

Smash reactions are usually one of two things: Intense love or intense hate. Nothing in the middle.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I've not been paying attention to TPC / Game Freak much at all, so what would you argue are their long term problems?
Well to name one, the lack of innovation. The most common complaint about the series is that each game is the same. This is in part due to sticking with the same structure because it's incredibly effective in regards to what the series wants to accomplish, but we're 8 generations in and their idea of shaking things up in the main series games was doing literally the same thing they always do, but objectively worse for the most part, and removing wild encounters. Add to that the fact that rather than trying out new ideas, they add in new gimmicks and minor features and take them out regardless of whether or not they stick and it's just...ugh.

Like, in the last 3 generations, they've made a completely new online interface. The first one worked amazingly, the second one was a gimmicky side mode from a previous game turned into the mandatory online hub and sucks just as much as you'd expect, and the last is pretty basic, drops the framerate when its turned on because of trying to add other people to the Wild Area like it's an mmo, and doesn't even work most of the time.
For battle mechanics, they introduced Mega Evolutions, which everyone liked, then Z-Moves, which are just a nuke button, and then dropped them both for Dynamax/Gigantamax, which was made with only doubles in mind, so they're 3-turn nuke buttons that don't really matter if both of you use it at the same time in singles, and basically just Mega Evolutions in doubles, but with weather.

It also doesn't help that they're always trying to find a way to unnecessarily casualize the games, so now there's like, three trainers that use any sort of strategy in the entire game, and they keep pulling crap like telling you to go next door in a cutscene, let you walk outside, show you the building that's right next door in a cutscene, let you walk two steps down the street towards it, and then use a third cutscene to walk you inside the building that was right freaking next door.

This is how we've looked for the last monthSince July
"Hmm...We're having trouble finding this site."

lol

Yes it was technically added from the Isle of Armor but you will most likely be using your Gigantamax Starter in the Crown Tundra
Pft. Not unless one-shotting everything is your idea of fun.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Given how we're expecting FP7 to be reveal around next week, I dread to imagine what the reaction would be if he did get revealed... and it was Rayman.

I've never been a huge fan of the little guy, but I'd pity the people who are, because that'd get very ugly.
Isn't Rayman a popular character among Super Smash Bros. fans?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So Animal Crossing got its news out, so theoretically, that just leaves Pokemon and Smash.

Now here's a brain**** y'all haven't considered.

Does Mario 35th releasing on October 1st throw a wrench into your plans? Considering it's literally a time-limited game, releasing a Smash character close to it seems like a kinda bad idea from a marketing perspective.
Bold of you to assume Nintendo "This game stinks", "Wii U", "New 3DS" and more cared about that

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, but... there was a controversy behind the creator just today

it should be on the previous page
Yes, but the creator of Rayman, Michael Ancel, has been accused of "toxic management" after leaving Ubisoft.
Well I'll at least hope that if they do add him, people are able to appreciate the art, not the artist in this situation (but also appreciate the artists because Mr. Ancel was not a 1-man team), and also understand that since he's no longer an employee at Ubisoft, adding him to Super Smash Bros. doesn't really benefit him.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Rayman oughta go out for a drink with Earthworm Jim.

He knows what it's like to have a ****ty dad.
Don't forget about Steve
For those wanting a trouble free Rayman experience, Rayman Redemption is a fan remake of the first title available to download for free right now. Given the major improvements and changes its a game belonging more to fans than Ancel.
Heh, that name really hits differently now, doesn't it?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Well I'll at least hope that if they do add him, people are able to appreciate the art, not the artist in this situation (but also appreciate the artists because Mr. Ancel was not a 1-man team), and also understand that since he's no longer an employee at Ubisoft, adding him to Super Smash Bros. doesn't really benefit him.
Yeah, Rayman isn't the sole creation of Ancel, he has been worked on by hundreds of other people at Ubisoft. I don't like this idea of treating Rayman as this cursed character that shouldn't be liked because it's attributing Rayman solely to Ancel only.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

The 7-11 ad
Amiibo theory

So while it's definitely possible, likely even, nothing's 100% set in stone yet. For all we know, Crown Tundra could donkey punch us all square in the jaw. Just be glad that Animal Crossing's update is out of the way.
watch we only get smash news in december XD

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Controversial opinion, but I don't think that Michael Ancel's unethical behaviour is a negative reflection on Rayman or his chances at getting into Smash.

Character creation is not as monolithic as it would first appear, especially in video games. Someone may conceptualize and build the foundation for a character, but it takes a team of talented writers, artists, and programmers to actually bring the character to life. This becomes even more complex when you factor in that characters evolve from game to game and every game has a developing team consisting of different people, the modern character of Rayman has a lot of fingerprints on him that aren't Michael Ancel.

Even then, the quality of the art is no reflection of the artist's character. There's a lot of good art made by bad people and a lot of bad art made by good people. Roman Polanski is a brilliant film maker, but a person of despicable moral character. Polanski is actually a great example, seeing how there's a mountain of talented actors, filmmakers, and musicians who are, at the very least, morally questionable enough to downplay or openly defend his actions. Rayman is completely disconnected from Ancel's immorality.

In terms of this event's application to Smash... there is none. If Sugiyama's work can be celebrated in Smash in spite of his baggage, I don't see why Ancel's work would be raise eyebrows at Nintendo.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Look, if we throw a fit over Tayman because of a bad creator, we should've thrown a fit over the Belmonts because of what Konami's done-And I'm a huge Castlevania fan. I agree with the "Separate the art from the artist" mindset.
It's especially important to remember that games are the product of a lot of people too.

There are several artists that influence a work. One bad person shouldn't spoil the whole thing.

At least, ideally.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Sooo... Incredibly off topic

But SEGA Announced a 60th anniversary Concert and they just announced what series will have music

Sonic the Hedgehog
Phantasy Star Online
Sakura Wars
Yakuza
Persona

I think one of these series except for Sonic and Persona will get a character in this pass because from what I can tell these are the series that Sega cares the most about right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom