• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Either a Avatar character that uses a certain class, Classic Phantasy Star character that takes cues from PSO, or a PSO character like Red Ring Rico or Matoi

Phantasy Star is an iconic RPG series. It was basically the OG Sci-fi RPG.
Monster Hunter, Xeno games, and Fire Emblem all take heavy inspiration from it.

FE stole several designs from PSII and III.
Monster Hunter wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for PSO.
View attachment 286792
Interesting. I think I'll add Phantasy Star to the list of candidates, filed under "Old Legacy Pick."

On that note, who do you think is the "face" of Phantasy Star? As in, who was the main protagonist(s) or most featured characters from the original games, or which class gets the most appearances in the promotional material for PSO2?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Also, he can turn into a tiger or go Super Saiyan by yelling out the names of his favourite anime characters.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean
:ultpokemontrainer:
Also, :ultvillager:
And don't forget, :ultinkling:
The issue with MMORPG avatars though is the sheer amount of customization available to them. Take the Pact Commander from Guild Wars 2 for example, they can be a Sylvari, Charr, Human, Norn or Asura (pictured left to right):
1601074909479.png

Only the Sylvari and the Human would be able to be alternate costumes of each other, as the difference between Norn and Humans is that Norn are bigger, but big, Asura are tiny, and Charr don't even have the same body shape.

Then there's the fighting style. Before we even get into Guild Wars 2's combat mechanics, we have to decide what class we're depicting. Of which, there are 9: Elementalist, Necromancer, Mesmer, Ranger, Theif, Engineer, Warrior, Guardian, and Revenant. None of them have any strong parallels between each other aside from their armour class and the weapons they wield. There's just no way you can fit an elemental mage, a mage that builds corpse minions, an illusionist, an animal handler, a flippy dippy assassin, a fighter who protects allies with magic, a no frills soldier, and a soldier that calls upon the power of famous dead people in a single moveset, nor would it be feasible to add all of them. There also isn't one that is any more important than the other so adding any of them by themselves would be wierd.

All MMORPGs have this problem to some extent, though perhaps World of Warcraft could get away with adding a bunch of basically human races like elves and whatnot, but they'd all have the issue of what class to pick. Unless there's an infamous one that everyone loves, I don't see the player character of any MMORPGs getting in Super Smash Bros. like, ever. It'd be much more likely to get an NPC like Rytlok (Guild Wars 2), The Litch King (World of Warcraft), or Y'shtola (Final Fantasy XVI: A Realm Reborn).

EDIT: Also, if you were curious, Rytlok is the Charr in the picture above.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The issue with MMORPG avatars though is the sheer amount of customization available to them. Take the Pact Commander from Guild Wars 2 for example, they can be a Sylvari, Charr, Human, Norn or Asura (pictured left to right):
View attachment 286796
Only the Sylvari and the Human would be able to be alternate costumes of each other, as the difference between Norn and Humans is that Norn are bigger, but big, Asura are tiny, and Charr don't even have the same body shape.

Then there's the fighting style. Before we even get into Guild Wars 2's combat mechanics, we have to decide what class we're depicting. Of which, there are 9: Elementalist, Necromancer, Mesmer, Ranger, Theif, Engineer, Warrior, Guardian, and Revenant. None of them have any strong parallels between each other aside from their armour class and the weapons they wield. There's just no way you can fit an elemental mage, a mage that builds corpse minions, an illusionist, an animal handler, a flippy dippy assassin, a fighter who protects allies with magic, a no frills soldier, and a soldier that calls upon the power of famous dead people in a single moveset, nor would it be feasible to add all of them. There also isn't one that is any more important than the other so adding any of them by themselves would be wierd.

All MMORPGs have this problem to some extent, though perhaps World of Warcraft could get away with adding a bunch of basically human races like elves and whatnot, but they'd all have the issue of what class to pick. Unless there's an infamous one that everyone loves, I don't see the player character of any MMORPGs getting in Super Smash Bros. like, ever. It'd be much more likely to get an NPC like Rytlok (Guild Wars 2), The Litch King (World of Warcraft), or Y'shtola (Final Fantasy XVI: A Realm Reborn)
I'd imagine that would just make it an ARMS situation; Everyone is the protagonist, so Sakurai just goes with whoever the devs want.

Unless, of course, they want an NPC, in which I concede.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Interesting. I think I'll add Phantasy Star to the list of candidates, filed under "Old Legacy Pick."

On that note, who do you think is the "face" of Phantasy Star? As in, who was the main protagonist(s) or most featured characters from the original games, or which class gets the most appearances in the promotional material for PSO2?
The fact that you can't name a face for the Phantasy Star series should tell you enough that Phantasy star won't get a smash rep. Even people who didn't play Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest knew who Cloud and Erdrick were.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Alis is the OG SEGA girl
She's also your secretary in SEGAGAGA, and she dyed her hair blond for some reason.
alis_Segagaga.jpg

However her moveset would be very basic so you would need to have her take cues from PSO.

Than there's Nei, before there was an Aerith there was a Nei. She would also have Rika from PSIV as her alt. She was voted as one of the top 10 SEGA characters in japan. She was the original Newman in the PS series which would end up becoming a race in PSO.

Nei_art.png

As for PSO you have characters like Red Ring Rico or Matoi which plot wise are important. There's also CAST/android race characters like Wren, Elenor, and Risa.

There's no real main marketed class in PSO, although Hunter(Sword), Ranger(Gun), and Force(Magic) are the main three you start with.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alis is the OG SEGA girl
She's also your secretary in SEGAGAGA, and she dyed her hair blond for some reason.
View attachment 286803

However her moveset would be very basic so you would need to have her take cues from PSO.

Than there's Nei, before there was an Aerith there was a Nei. She would also have Rika from PSIV as her alt. She was voted as one of the top 10 SEGA characters in japan. She was the original Newman in the PS series which would end up becoming a race in PSO.

View attachment 286802

As for PSO you have characters like Red Ring Rico or Matoi which plot wise are important. There's also CAST/android race characters like Wren, Elenor, and Risa.

There's no real main marketed class in PSO, although Hunter(Sword), Ranger(Gun), and Force(Magic) are the main three you start with.
So basically, there's no definitive frontrunner and we're basically putting their names into a raffle.

Ah well, so long as we get someone fun to play I'll be fine.

SKX31

Smash Master
When It comes to MMO's I think there are only 3 options at this point in time

Wizard 101 World Of Warcraft
Final Fantasy XIV
Phantasy Star

All of them have actual characters not just avatars that could easily fit one of the classes and all 3 of the games have some impact on gaming history in some way shape or form so I would not entirely rule them out just yet.

I think XIV has a better chance than XI and Skyrim has a better chance than ESO
Yeah, those three seem like the frontrunners within the genre. I'd kinda cut it down to just WoW / PSO because... FF XIV has a lot of competition both within the company and within the series. I find it really difficult to see Sakurai / Nintendo going for XIV before Bartz / Terra / Sephiroth. And it's not like WoW nor PSO lack competition within their respective companies either, so I find it difficult to justify anything above the "Potential dark horse, but seemingly in the background" category.

The MMO genre in general has not been in the obvious spotlight recently either. It doesn't help that a lot of pretty big MMOs have not been able to fully "match" - for lack of a better term - those three you mentioned (ArcheAge, RIFT, Guild Wars - Guild Wars 2 came rather close though).

All MMORPGs have this problem to some extent, though perhaps World of Warcraft could get away with adding a bunch of basically human races like elves and whatnot, but they'd all have the issue of what class to pick. Unless there's an infamous one that everyone loves, I don't see the player character of any MMORPGs getting in Super Smash Bros. like, ever. It'd be much more likely to get an NPC like Rytlok (Guild Wars 2), The Litch King (World of Warcraft), or Y'shtola (Final Fantasy XVI: A Realm Reborn).
WarCraft can definetely get away with something other than the Player Character. WoW got so big people often forget the 3 RTS games. The reason WoW has so much hype going for it when it was initially released in 2004. And those - III especially - have legitimate claims to fame themselves.

They were critically and commercially successful, and a lot of fans identified heavily with the characters (even if the writing could be a bit... wonky). For those who wanted something other than strict RTS gameplay WarCraft III also had the Custom Maps option: those servers were filled to the brim with various custom games like Tower Defense games (quality varied widely of course). The Custom Maps option is where Dota (and the MOBA genre by proxy) was born, so WarCraft / StarCraft (StarCraft had a Dota precursor in Aeon of Strife) had that going for it too.

Not to mention, Blizzard's marketing push for WoW was everywhere at the time.

It's for that reason I believe that WarCraft frontrunner would be Arthas / the Lich King or Thrall - both debuted in the RTS games (III specfically), play significant roles in WoW's story and are the faces of their respective factions (The Undead Scourge and the Horde respectively). Arthas / the Lich King is a Death Knight (and / or Lich), and Death Knight's playable in both III and WoW. Thrall, meanwhile, represents the Shaman class first and foremost (he's a Farseer in III, with his abilities include summoning ghost wolves, chain lightning and earthquakes). I haven't played WoW since 2005-ish, but AFAIK Thrall's arsenal of spells and attacks have grown since.

I don't find WoW likely (nor any MMO really), but man, I'm partial to WoW and would love that in Smash. Wouldn't mind PSO nor FF XIV either really.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd imagine that would just make it an ARMS situation; Everyone is the protagonist, so Sakurai just goes with whoever the devs want.

Unless, of course, they want an NPC, in which I concede.
Well in regards to Guild Wars 2, they do have a Pact Commander design specifically for trailers which would be fairly unique in terms of aesthetics, though he looks like a Warrior, so I'd be a little sad they didn't go for anything crazy. The Warrior's mechanic would be a heck of a lot like Cloud's Limit too so I'm not sure he'd do much for most people. I mean, he'd play differently with leap in ability, and potentially a sword throw attack, and a daze, and...a counter*, but the Adrenaline gauge would very quickly be dismissed as basically just being Limit.

I honestly think Rytlok would be a much better choice since while he could draw from the Warrior and Revenant classes since he was originally one, but becomes the other when the class was introduced. He wouldn't show off the usage of the weapon switching mechanic since he always has his sword, Sohothin, but combining the Warrior and Revenant's abilities with Sohothin's would be really cool in its own right.

*The Pact Commander design has a Sword and Shield, the Warrior would have more diverse abilities if we weren't limiting ourselves to just that weapon set (and we really shouldn't since weapon switching is a big part of Guild Wars 2's combat). For example, the offhand axe has this really fun twirly attack where you basically just become a very sharp tornado and tear through everything in your path.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I made this a profile post but I thought it also could be discussed here:

Well, after some thought, I’m not “Team No Show” for F7 next week. I know the 7-11 ads plus the missing news articles discovered on official pages as particular indicators F7 will be revealed but I think we won’t be seeing F7 until after next week. The reasons being is the 7-11 ads. With Joker, Hero, and Banjo, the ads were erected to promote these dlc characters. For whatever reasons, Terry never got an ad. Byleth makes sense as we knew nothing about him until his presentation video. We just got Min-Min’s promotion. While I do see them changing the ads after 10/4 to promote the new character, I think this isn’t as likely. We will be getting a similar situation as Byleth I think and so the ads can’t be an indication that we will be getting a reveal/presentation next week.

These ads are to solely promote Min-Min and the Vol 2. I’ve read theories on Japanese groups that these ads are just to drive up sales of a dlc pass that hasn’t been selling as well as they hoped. I’m not sure if I believe that but it’s not the first time that Japanese companies have pushed products and services that were expected to do well but didn't perform well. I think it’s something to consider, especially since Vol 2 had a rocky start for obvious and understandable reasons. These could of been put up to help make up for lost time later-winter to late-Spring. I’ve been wrong lots of times though so I hope I am.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Well in regards to Guild Wars 2, they do have a Pact Commander design specifically for trailers which would be fairly unique in terms of aesthetics, though he looks like a Warrior, so I'd be a little sad they didn't go for anything crazy. The Warrior's mechanic would be a heck of a lot like Cloud's Limit too so I'm not sure he'd do much for most people. I mean, he'd play differently with leap in ability, and potentially a sword throw attack, and a daze, and...a counter*, but the Adrenaline gauge would very quickly be dismissed as basically just being Limit.

I honestly think Rytlok would be a much better choice since while he could draw from the Warrior and Revenant classes since he was originally one, but becomes the other when the class was introduced. He wouldn't show off the usage of the weapon switching mechanic since he always has his sword, Sohothin, but combining the Warrior and Revenant's abilities with Sohothin's would be really cool in its own right.

*The Pact Commander design has a Sword and Shield, the Warrior would have more diverse abilities if we weren't limiting ourselves to just that weapon set (and we really shouldn't since weapon switching is a big part of Guild Wars 2's combat). For example, the offhand axe has this really fun twirly attack where you basically just become a very sharp tornado and tear through everything in your path.
I'd love to see how Sakurai would tackle weapon switching.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone have a source that Fighters Pass 2 isn't selling well. I've heard a few people pass that around as fact lately but I have been hearing conflicting things previously.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I made this a profile post but I thought it also could be discussed here:

Well, after some thought, I’m not “Team No Show” for F7 next week. I know the 7-11 ads plus the missing news articles discovered on official pages as particular indicators F7 will be revealed but I think we won’t be seeing F7 until after next week. The reasons being is the 7-11 ads. With Joker, Hero, and Banjo, the ads were erected to promote these dlc characters. For whatever reasons, Terry never got an ad. Byleth makes sense as we knew nothing about him until his presentation video. We just got Min-Min’s promotion. While I do see them changing the ads after 10/4 to promote the new character, I think this isn’t as likely. We will be getting a similar situation as Byleth I think and so the ads can’t be an indication that we will be getting a reveal/presentation next week.

These ads are to solely promote Min-Min and the Vol 2. I’ve read theories on Japanese groups that these ads are just to drive up sales of a dlc pass that hasn’t been selling as well as they hoped. I’m not sure if I believe that but it’s not the first time that Japanese companies have pushed products and services that were expected to do well but didn't perform well. I think it’s something to consider, especially since Vol 2 had a rocky start for obvious and understandable reasons. These could of been put up to help make up for lost time later-winter to late-Spring. I’ve been wrong lots of times though so I hope I am.
As long as we get FP7 within the new few weeks, we all desperately want this drought to end already.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not sure what has people convinced Pokemon is as imminent as the other stuff. I don't think you're seeing that DLC until November.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the second pass has sold below expectations so far. The optics aren't great. It's been out eight months and you still only have the option to buy one character for six dollars or one character for thirty dollars.

And that one character is liked, but certainly lacks the magnitude of a third-party or a fan favourite.

To be clear though, selling below expectations, which seems plausible, is different than selling poorly. It's Smash, I'm sure it's still performing fine.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The MMO genre in general has not been in the obvious spotlight recently either. It doesn't help that a lot of pretty big MMOs have not been able to fully "match" - for lack of a better term - those three you mentioned (ArcheAge, RIFT, Guild Wars - Guild Wars 2 came rather close though).
MMORPGs in particular seem to be in a bit of a slump. A lot of the entries are pretty safe, and there seems to be a growing faction of people who want something new (just look at the comments of any new MMORPG that uses tab targeting). I could be wrong, but that's what I was seeing when my mom was searching for a new game to play.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
There are a handful of Characters I could see coming that could have full on weapon switching

Dante
2B
Monster Hunter
Depending on who or how they do it a Xenoblade rep
The Aforementioned MMO character
Travis (sort of)
Rune Factory Rep

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
the pass would sell better if it had some meat in it. 8 months with only one char most people dont care about isnt going to make for great sales so its not surprising.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Can someone hype me up a bit for Travis? In the case he does get in, I don't want to be as pessimistic about it as I currently feel.
Travis himself is a professional wrestler combined with a Jedi and that is about as wacky as it sounds
That twig is a professional wrestler?
I just think otaku Johnny Knoxville with a lightsaber is a winning combination.
Let's not forget that the true final boss of No More Heroes 1 is his Irish twin brother whose weapon is Kylo Ren's lightsaber.

Kylo Ren: 2015
Sir Henry #$*)^)(8&9!21%: 2007 (in Japan) and 2008 (USA)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think a hypothetical Phantasy Star fighter would undoubtedly be Alis. People usually forget this (because Sega's done little to preserve the legacy of the series, as it makes them more bank to just milk it as an MMO), but the original Phantasy Star was revolutionary and a huge leap forward for RPGs.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because.

Its Pokemon.

Biggest media franchise of all time. Enough reason to give it a bit more attention before November.
And Mario and Animal Crossing and Smash with their minimal timeframes pre-reveal are what? C-tier games?

Pokemon was still Pokemon back in June when the Isle of Armor trailer with the release date was revealed less than two weeks before it arrived.

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
honestly dont think were getting any of the "safe picks" everyone is going on about

starting to really think chars like doomguy, dante, waddle dee, geno, etc arent going to be in

were probs gonna get odd balls that a few ppl talk about but no one bets on like nightmare or whoever else

After the last pass where the ONLY big name ppl talked about (banjo) got in with the other 4 being oddballs most the community didnt talk about I wont be shocked if that continues here. The pass started with min min afterall LOL

As time goes on the more i doubt all these "safe picks" just cause historically so far that hasnt been the case at all other than banjo. We might get one but to think the entire pass will be made of them seems rather silly in a lot of ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom